Chapter VII - Sorry Doesn't Make It Anymore

Another Time, Another Place

 

 

“Who is it?” So Min asked as she opened the door. But before she could react Hyun Joong already made his way inside her room, shutting the door behind him.

As soon as he heard the door shut Hyun Joong grabbed So Min’s arm and pulled her towards him. In one swift motion he cupped her face and started kissing her passionately. So Min was overwhelmed but she did not feel the urge to resist him or push him away. She wants this as much as he does. Tonight, she decided, she won’t lie to herself.  Just this one night, she’s giving in to her emotions. Just this one night! 

Hyun Joong carried her to her bedroom and gently laid her down on the bed, his lips never leaving hers even for a moment. So Min responded to his touch and kisses and gave herself fully to Hyun Joong that night. Both of them knew it wasn’t just physical intimacy they were after. They were eager to find out if they still love each other.

Hyun Joong opened his eyes and realized that he is hugging So Min, who is sleeping soundly with her head on his chest. He hugged her closer, and made sure she was in a comfortable position. He wants to stay this way with her forever but he knows it won’t be easy.  As he felt So Min stirring, he caressed her back and gently whispered “It’s okay, it’s still early, we can stay here a bit more.” So Min slowly realized what happened the night before—it wasn’t a dream after all—Hyun Joong is really right here with her.  As she remembered what happened her tears started to flow, wetting his chest. She couldn’t suppress her sobs, as she buried her head deeper into Hyun Joong’s chest. He comforted her by rustling her hair gently with his fingers and hugging her even tighter, even as tears welled up in his own eyes.

“I’m sorry, it took me a long time to say this, but I’m really sorry. I’m sorry for hurting you, I’m sorry for being an and thinking only of myself. I’m sorry I did not stand up for you. I know that it is too much for me to ask you to forgive me now but I hope, someday, you will find it in your heart to forgive me. But, right now, all I want is for you to give me the chance to love you again. Please, Honey, let me love you again, give me another chance,” Hyun Joong said softly in between sobs.

So Min couldn’t say anything, instead she just hugged Hyun Joong tighter and gave in to her tears. She was sobbing uncontrollably now, all the hurt caused by his betrayal suddenly flooding her memory. As he hugged her, Hyun Joong felt all the pain she caused So Min, and it hurt him terribly. Now he knows. All these years he never fully realized the degree of pain he’s caused her. He was too selfish, wallowing in his own misery after she left that he failed to fully understand how badly he hurt her.

“Oppa, why did this happen to us?” So Min asked, not really waiting for an answer. She has stopped sobbing but tears still welled up in her eyes. “I know I also hurt you when I left without giving you the chance to explain. I’m sorry. I got scared that I’d be even more hurt when I find out the truth. Honestly, I panicked when I learned we will be working together because I’m still in love with you, I can’t deny that anymore. Even now I’m scared that you would end up hurting me again. I don’t think I can go through that again, Oppa, so even if I’m still in love with you, I’m sorry, I can’t be with you again,” So Min said, as she started sobbing again.  

So Min carefully got up from the bed and went to the bathroom to shower, leaving Hyun Joong pondering what she just said. Much as it hurt him he knows he has no other choice but to give in. His life is so messed up right now. He doesn’t trust himself enough to give her the assurance that he won’t make her cry again. He loves her so much he doesn’t want to risk hurting her once more.

So Min found the bed empty when she got out of the shower. She sighed before hearing her phone beep--it was a message from Hyun Joong. “I understand you now. I don’t want to hurt you again. I still love you so much but I agree with you. I also don’t want to hurt you again, but I’m afraid I can’t promise you that. You have no idea how messed up I am right now. Just remember, I’ll always be here for you.” Her heart throbbed with pain as she read his message. ‘I was hoping you’d tell me that you won’t hurt me anymore, but now… I guess it’s really over. Until now, you still can’t man up to loving me,’ So Min sighed in resignation, suppressing her tears.

Fate can be tricky sometimes. Even though they’ve realized that they are still deeply in love with each other, it is such a sad realization because they know it is futile to even try to mend their broken relationship. So much has already happened. It is time to move on.