Chapter XVI - Grandma's Birthday

Another Time, Another Place

It is only 6AM but So Min's Grandma was already up and about. Today is her birthday and she's going all out in celebrating it, after all, not everyone is blessed to reach the age of 80. She wants everyone who is important to her to remember this day with fondness. It will be her way of thanking them for all the love and support they have given her throughout the years.

Weeks before, she got busy attending to the different charities that she has been supporting since she married her dear husband. When he passed away 5 years ago she decided to devote all of her time to her charities. Her favorite grand daughter So Min always helps her out whenever she can, she would take time out of her busy schedule to join her in visiting hospitals, orphanages, old people's homes and shelters for kids with cancer. She's also given away millions of her own money to these charities. Unfortunately, she could not join her lately because she has been very busy with her Hollywood movie with Hyun Joong. She wanted So Min to at least be at the party she prepared for the kids with cancer last weekend because her grand daughter really loves and enjoys being with the kids there, but unfortunately, her schedule did not permit it.

But today, So Min will be here. What's more, Hyun Joong also promised to join her. In her old Granny heart she is secretly rooting for the two even after the couple had a falling out years ago. There was something about the couple that makes her believe they are destined to be together forever. She was the happiest person when she found out the two will be working together again on a Hollywood movie. In her heart she was sure the project was destiny's way of bringing them back together.

So Min arrived with her fiancé, Dong Won, just before lunch time. Her father was busy talking to Dong Won when she decided to sneak inside her Grandma's bedroom. "Grandma, happy birthday!" she greeted the old woman who is being prepped by a make-up artist. They hugged and kissed excitedly. "Do you like the present I sent you? Are you wearing it today?" So Min asked. Two days before, she sent her a package containing a custom-made Chanel gown that she ordered straight from Paris, with instructions that she has to wear it on this day. "Of course I'm wearing it sweetheart, it's so beautiful. Thank you so much. By the way, where is Hyun Joong? That guy owes me big time. I haven't seen him in ages! I really miss him. He's my favorite grandchild!" the woman rattled on, oblivious to the surprised, hurt look on her grand daughter's face. "Your favorite grandchild?! I thought I was your favorite! And since when did he become your grandchild?" a very bratty So Min said. "Aigoo, stop being such a spoiled brat. Of course, you're my favorite, that's why he's my favorite too, because he will soon be married to my favorite grand daughter!" Grandma happily said.

"Grandma, how many times do I have to tell you that we're no longer together? I'm with Dong Won now. You need to stop shipping me and Hyun Joong like a crazy fan!" So Min said, exasperated. Thank God, no one in her family knows what happened between her and Hyun Joong while shooting their movie! "Okay, okay, I'm just teasing you, after all, you two are my favorite Oppa-dongsaeng couple," Grandma said with a playful wink. So Min just rolled her eyes and sighed.

"So, where is he? He said you'd be coming here together?" "He's busy, I think he still needs to shoot some scenes. We're really in a rush to finish the movie. It was a miracle they allowed me to have a free day so I can be here today. Don't wait for him anymore, besides, all your real grandchildren will be here today, I'm sure you'll have your hands full." So Min smiled sweetly then bid the old woman goodbye so she can join the rest of the family in their big dining hall. So Min's Grandma sighed as soon as she left. "She still loves him," she muttered under her breath.

The party is in full swing. The great-grandchildren are now taking their turns in performing for their dear Grandma. Jujin, the 5-year-old son of So Min's cousin is on stage performing a really cute and funny song and dance number. Everyone was laughing and cheering on the boy passionately performing on stage when Hyun Joong arrived. All eyes were instantly on him. He is wearing an all-black designer tuxedo and carrying a huge bouquet of deep-red roses on one hand and a Cartier box on the other, his mesmerizing smile planted across his face, making all the females in the room swoon.

So Min looked at him and then at her relatives and sighed. She's always had the suspicion that all the females in her family are card-carrying Henecians, just like Grandma. They seem to have forgotten that this is the same guy who hurt her!

"Grandma, happy birthday, I'm so sorry I'm late," Hyun Joong said as he handed her the bouquet and knelt down beside the old woman's chair. "Thank you so much, thank you for being here, you just made my day," Grandma said as she hugged and kissed Hyun Joong. She held his face like a small baby's and pinched his nose with fondness. Hyun Joong was smiling like an idiot, obviously enjoying the affection. He loves her like his own Grandma who passed away many years ago. Every female in the room watching the scene are secretly wishing they're Grandma so they can kiss and hug Hyun Joong the same way without fear of being slapped with a ual harassment suit. Every female except So Min, of course.

So Min is seething in anger. She hates Hyun Joong for being here and stealing her Grandma's affection. She knows he makes her Grandma happy but she just can't help being mad. She looked at her Grandma and saw Hyun Joong putting on a diamond encrusted Cartier watch on her wrist. With one look So Min knew his gift is way more expensive than her gift. This made her livid.

She hates him for coming here and acting like there's nothing going on between them. She hates him for giving her Grandma an expensive gift that would surely make the old woman love him even more. She hates him for showing up looking so good and enchanting all the female and gay members of her family. She hates him for looking exactly like the guy she fell head over heels in loves with.

Hyun Joong saw her looking on as he put the watch on her Grandmother's wrist. He smiled and gave her a nod to acknowledge her presence. She glared at him in response and turned to sweetly face Dong Won who was standing right beside her, gleefully watching her nephew on stage. She held Dong Won's arm possessively and whispered something in his ear that made him smile and hug So Min playfully. Hyun Joong witnessed the whole thing and felt a sharp pain in his heart, but he kept his smile on as he gave Grandma his full attention.

Hyun Joong spent the whole afternoon beside Grandma. There was no way she would let him go. "If I didn't force you to come here you won't even bother to visit me! Is that how you treat your No. 1 fan? If you did not come here today I was determined to withdraw my membership from Henecia!" Grandma scolded him as she coaxed him to eat more food. "If you do that I will retire. I'll hold a press con and inform the public that I'm retiring because you, my No. 1 fan, withdrew your membership, I have no more reason to remain in show business," Hyun Joong playfully responded. "Aigoo! Pabo! Just shut up and eat!" Grandma said as she placed more food in front of him. She then turned serious. "By the way, what's going on between you and So Min? I know you two are still in love with each other. That much I can tell, that's why I'm wondering why she's still holding on to him while you, you're just here stuffing yourself and not doing anything!" Hyun Joong almost choked on his food. "Grandma, you're the one who keeps feeding me and now you accuse me of just stuffing myself." Hyun Joong acted hurt by Grandma's words, but his attempt to change the topic did not work on the wise woman. "It's been almost a year since you started working together again, how come you're still not back together?" Grandma probed. Hyun Joong stopped eating and held Grandma's hands as he seriously said: "Grandma, I'm here because of you, because I love you like my own grandmother. I'm not here because of So Min. We both have our own lives now, and we're better off this way. I hope you can learn to be happy for us, please?" Hyun Joong's pleading eyes said everything, Grandma could only sigh in frustration.

Just then Hyun Joong's phone rang and he excused himself so he could answer it. He was walking back inside when he crossed paths with So Min. He smiled and politely greeted her. So Min just nodded in acknowledgement. Then they just froze, and stared at each other for what seemed like eternity.

There was obvious longing in Hyun Joong's eyes. So Min's face was harder to read. It was Hyun Joong who broke the silence. "So Min, are you still mad at me? I hope you can learn to forgive me for messing up your life again, I'm really sorry for everything. I hope someday we can be friends again. Right now I can see that you're happy. He makes you happy. I hope you'll stay that way. I only wish the best for you." "I'm sorry Hyun Joong, but right now I can't take in anything that you're saying. It's best if we don't see or talk to each other for a while. I have to go now," So Min excused herself and went straight to her bedroom to cry.

Hyun Joong bid Grandma goodbye and promised to give her a front row seat at his concert the following month. He entered his car with a heavy heart.