A Promise Kept

Another Time, Another Place

Hyun Joong wanted to talk to So Min after the Press Conference, however, he had to rush to the airport to go to Los Angeles to record some songs at the studio of his U.S.-based producer. He has to squeeze it into his schedule because in three days he would need to focus his attention and time on the Hollywood media blitz for their movie.

He figured he'll just talk to So Min when she gets to L.A. But before he left he called So Min's manager and cousin, Jaehyung. The fans who were waiting to send him off at the airport were worried because Hyun Joong looked distraught when he stepped out of his car. He seemed lost and did not even smile nor wave at them, something that has not happened in recent years. It was baffling because he just came straight from the Press Conference for what they think is the biggest break he's had in his career. He should be happy. They were clueless that Hyun Joong was worried about So Min.
 

He called Jaehyung as soon as he was inside the airport's waiting room. "How is she? When did it happen? Is that the reason why she was sad even before the Press Conference started?" The person at the other end could barely keep up with his questions.

"I was also surprised, Hyung, all of us were surprised. They were still together the other night, we all thought they we're doing okay. You see, after your break-up she became secretive about her relationships. She hardly tells me anything now. I really don't know when or how it happened," Jaehyung explained.

"So how is she? Where is she now?" He was told that So Min is busy shooting a new CF and that she'll be flying to the U.S. in two days. "I hope you can talk to her, Hyung, we're really worried, she's been trying to look calm and composed but we know she's not okay. Please talk to her, I'll call you as soon as we get there, maybe she'll open up to you."

"I'll see what I can do. Update me, let me know what happens. We're boarding now."

Before boarding the plane Hyun Joong sent So Min a text message:

I really don't know what you're going through right now but I want you to know you're not alone. Just remember that I'm just here if you need anyone to be by your side. I'm leaving for L.A. now but I'll see you soon. Call me when you get there, okay? Take care, Baby.

So Min was finally given a break by her new CF's director. They have been shooting non-stop for the past three hours. She proceeded to the shoot immediately after the Press Conference, she's hardly had time to breathe. Now she has some time to rest.  She reached for her phone and saw several messages and miss calls from Dong Won and his family. She refused to read any of the messages. She knows they'll only scold her for revealing their break-up. Dong Won has explicitly asked her to keep their breakup from the public and his parents who were not aware of what happened. She was deleting their messages when she saw Hyun Joong's message. She became teary-eyed after reading it. He always called her Honey when they were still together but during times she needed comforting he always called her Baby.

In her mind, Hyun Joong is a guy she should hate, even more than Dong Won, after all, he's the one who has hurt her the most, but her heart is saying the only comfort she needs right now is the one that only he can give.

Hyun Joong was visibly distracted that his producer had to stop the recording midway. "Hyun Joong, what's happening to you?! Your mind is definitely not inside this studio! You need to focus on what you're doing if you want us to finish this on time!" "Sorry, Hyung, just give me an hour, I'm just tired, I think I need to rest." Hyun Joong just left after he said that, leaving everyone in the studio dumbfounded. He's alway been a workaholic and he doesn't allow anything to distract him whenever he's inside the studio. He always keeps his focus on the work at hand.

He took his phone out and dialled So Min's number as soon as the door closed behind him. "Hey, how are you? Jaehyung said you haven't been eating well. They're all worried about you." "I'm okay Oppa, you don't have to worry about me," So Min replied. "Baby, I know you're hurting, I know you're in pain, but please take care of yourself. We're worried about you. You can't let this situation hurt you even more," he begged her.

So Min started crying. "You don't understand. No one understands. You don't know how much I'm hurting right now. I just want to die." "Baby, don't say that. I'm here for you. I'll take care of you. I'll see you in two days. But until then please take care of yourself. Promise me you'll take care of yourself, okay?" Hyun Joong was starting to panic. He was really scared of what So Min might do.

After his call with So Min he called her manager and asked him to call her doctor so he can sedate and feed her intravenously. He gave specific instructions to always have someone by her side, to prevent any untoward incident from happening. Her manager did as Hyun Joong instructed. The doctor knew what to do as soon as he saw her. Apparently, she's gone through such an emotional breakdown before and it was Hyun Joong and the doctor who helped her get through it.

The following day So Min was preparing to leave for the airport when her father arrived at her house. He was fuming mad and slapped her in front of her staff. He just came back from a business trip and rushed to see her after finding out that she has broken up with Dong Won. He was so mad. He was shouting at the very weak So Min who was just crying and shaking uncontrollably as her father kept scolding her.

"Uncle, please stop it. She's very weak right now. She's just under some meds so she can finish her commitments this week," a visibly shocked and scared Jaehyung pleaded. "I don't care. She doesn't even need to do this kind of work. You, you would have been better off if you just married Dong Won, but you always insist on having things done your way. You think I'm proud of your accomplishments?! They're just trash to me," her father sternly said before storming out of her house.

So Min cried the whole way to the airport. Her stylist just hugged and consoled her. Jaehyung, on the other hand, called Hyun Joong to let him know about what just happened. They made So Min take some sleeping pills so she could sleep throughout the flight. The pills and her crying fit have taken their toll on her. She looked spaced out when they arrived at the L.A. Airport. She was surprised to see Hyun Joong waiting inside the van that picked them up.

"Welcome to L.A., the City of Angels!" Hyun Joong cheerfully said, trying his best to make the obviously distraught So Min smile. But she just looked at him with teary eyes and hugged him tight as she sat beside him. She silently cried on his chest as he comforted her. "Shhh, Baby, I'm here now, Oppa is here to take care of you. Please don't cry anymore. Stop now, please, Baby. I'll just take you to your hotel so you can rest, then we'll have dinner together. I'll take you to your favorite lobster place, okay? Stop crying now, shhh," he cooed.

If he had a choice and if it would not cause even more problems for So Min he would have asked her to stay at his house. But after the scene with her father it would be too much of a risk to take.

Hyun Joong led her to her bedroom and made sure she was comfortably resting before he went out to talk to her staff. "What exactly happened?" he asked Jaehyung and her stylists. They narrated to him the incident with her father just before they left for the airport. "Has she told any of you what really happened between her and Dong Won?" Jaehyung told him that up to now she hasn't told anyone anything. She's been locking herself up in her room but they made sure to keep a spare key so they could check on her.

Hyun Joong left to attend to some matters before returning to fetch So Min for dinner. He was waiting in the basement parking in his red Ferrari when he saw So Min stepping out of the elevator, dressed casually in denim cut-off short shorts, baby tee, a long cardigan and high-heeled boots. She let her hair hang loose and she carried a small red quilted Dior shoulder bag. He admired her y frame as she walked towards his car. She looked flawlessly elegant and carefree. No one would think she's currently under some deep emotional .

She kissed his cheek as soon as she stepped inside the car, to his delight. "Before we leave there are three things I want you to promise me. No. 1 no crying tonight ; No. 2 you must forget everything that's bothering you while we're together; and No. 3, you need to turn off your cellphone," Hyun Joong said in a very domineering tone. So Min was just looking at him intently, admiring his handsome features when he grabbed her bag and took her cellphone out and turned it off. "Hello, earth to So Min, did you listen to what I just said?"

"Yes, I heard everything," she said without taking her gaze away from him. "But I also have one request. Can I hug you?" He was taken aback but quickly moved to hug her. "You can hug me as long as you want but you can't cry," he said. So Min just nodded and softly said: "thank you so much Oppa, thank you so much for everything."

In her heart she is truly grateful that Hyun Joong made good on his promise to take care of her and never leave her now that she needs him.