What Happened in L.A.

Another Time, Another Place

Hyun Joong was driving to So Min's favorite lobster restaurant when she stopped him. "Oppa, I don't really feel like eating lobsters tonight," she said pouting like a little girl. "But you have to eat!" "I know. I just want to eat something else, I want a Big Mac, large fries with mayo, and a large strawberry smoothie," she said her eyes gleaming with delight as she visualized what she wants to eat.

He looked at her intently then in a serious but very 4D way asked: "So Min, be honest with me, are you pregnant? Did Dong Won get you pregnant before he left you?" "Ya! Why would I allow him to get me pregnant? I haven't even slept with him! And, for your information, I was the one who left him and not the other way around," an indignant So Min replied.

"You never slept with him? But you were together almost three years. Wait....could it be...I was the one who got you pregnant? Ya! So Min, are you pregnant with my baby?" He instinctively touched her tummy as he asked the last question.

She was aghast at his silliness, she gripped both his ears and sternly said: "Oppa, if you got me pregnant, I would be one and a half years pregnant by now! I am not pregnant, okay?! Haaish! So much trouble for a Big Mac!" She pinched his ears before letting go. By now Hyun Joong was giggling as he realized his silliness. He was also so happy to find out that So Min never slept with Dong Won. But there was no way he would give her the satisfaction of knowing that.

Unknown to him, she wants to eat at McDonald's because she wants to reminisce their first date. Since that first date, McDonald's has become her source of comfort food.

While they were eating, Hyun Joong started teasing So Min. "You've become even more crazy about food, you're like a mother pig when you eat now, but still very cute," he said. "Haay, why do I have to eat with this guy?" So Min said to herself, feigning annoyance. "Ya! You have no idea how many women would like to be in your place right now, you should be grateful the Great Flower Boy Kim Hyun Joong is having dinner with you," he said, then rubbed her head like she was a stubborn little kid.

So Min couldn't stop giggling. "Oppa, you still believe your own Press Release? I thought it was funny they kept calling you that. I mean, it was cute during your Jihoo and Seung Jo days but you're old now, Oppa, you don't exactly look cute anymore! You're an ahjussi now!" Hyun Joong just glared at her and continued eating but she wasn't done yet.

"Oppa, answer me honestly, I'm just really curious, how many women have you slept with since we broke up?" He almost choked on his food. "Why do you want to know? Hmmm, let me count..." He then proceeded to count using all his fingers then he looked down at his feet, seemingly counting his toes, then back to counting his fingers. "About three," he said in a very serious tone. Her eyes grew wide as she shook her head in disbelief. "You mean three at a time, right?" she asked.

"How did you know? Ya! I knew it! Jung So Min, you have been spying on me!" he said while pointing his finger at her. "Why would I do that? Besides, I subscribe to Sports Chosun, everything's already there!" So Min was laughing at the flustered Hyun Joong.

"Oppa, I'm just really curious. Why was that auntie chasing you?" This time he choked on his food for real and she had to tap his back to help him. "Ya! Why do you keep asking these questions?! That wasn't me!" he said indignantly. And then muttered under his breath, "I really should have killed that photographer, hmp!" By now, So Min is laughing hysterically at Hyun Joong's futile attempt to salvage his reputation.

"You mean, you saw the photographer while he was taking your picture? Then why didn't you stop him?" she asked like it was the most important thing in the world. "So Min, there's one thing you need to learn, when caught in a situation like that you do not stop running, instead you should run faster so they can't take a clear picture of you. If I tried to stop him he would have been able to take a clear shot of my face. Besides, there's no way I could've stopped him. Remember, these guys are professionals, so you have to react like a professional too," he seriously lectured the giggling So Min.

They finished their meal like that, teasing and sharing funny stories with each other just like old times. They both found it refreshing to be together like this once again. Hyun Joong liked the fact that So Min accepts him--warts and all, she never passed judgement on him for the crazy lifestyle he's had these past years. He can be honest with her without fear of being judged and misunderstood.

So Min, on the other hand, is just grateful to Hyun Joong for always opening his heart out to her. He's never hesitant to share with her his strengths and his weaknesses, his victories and failures. He's never a superstar in front of her. To So Min he's always completely, 100% human. She knows she's one of the very few people he allows to have this much access to him. She finds it heartwarming that until now this hasn't changed.

After dinner the two decided to go midnight bowling. It was So Min who suggested it, Hyun Joong did not agree to it right away knowing that he would end up losing to her but he knew it would make her happy so he reluctantly agreed.

Hyun Joong was losing out badly to So Min, as expected, and she was gloating and teasing him for at the game. He's annoyed and he hates how she has been trying to distract him by ily dancing while taunting him as he tried to focus on improving his game. He was so distracted that his ball kept sliding to the side, not hitting any of the pins.

He decided he's had enough. He grabbed her by the shoulders, forced her to sit down and covered her legs with his jacket before he tried playing again. But she just laughed because he still failed. He was acting annoyed but he was secretly glad to see So Min happily enjoying their time together.

It was almost 2AM when they decided to call it a night. He drove her back to her hotel, as they continued to chat happily. Halfway to the hotel she turned serious. "Oppa, I'm nervous about tomorrow. I know you are used to these things but I'm not. This is my first big Hollywood project and I'm scared about people's reactions. What if they don't like me?"

He knows exactly how she's feeling because he's felt that way at different points in his career. He knows how tough it could get. "Don't worry, Baby, I'm sure they'll love you. Haven't you read the reviews of some of the American critics who previewed it? They all praised your acting so I'm sure the audience will love you too. Don't lose sleep over it, okay?" he reassured her.

"I'm really glad I'm going through this with you, Oppa. To be honest I cried in frustration when I found out you'll be my leading man. I didn't want to work with you again. But I'm really glad and thankful that it's you I'm with right now," she sincerely said. He instinctively held her hand, deeply touched by what she said.

He got down from the car to open the door for her, but before letting her go he grabbed something from the car's backseat. It was the tiger stuff toy he lent her many years ago.

"Tomorrow is going to be one of the biggest days of your life. I'm sure you don't want to spend it with big eye bags on. You have to sleep well tonight so I'm lending you this," he said as he handed the toy to the stunned So Min.

She looked at him intently and lovingly as tears gilded her lids. "Oppa..." Hyun Jong cut her and playfully ruffled her hair. "Don't think too much, I just want you to sleep well," he said.

So Min just kept looking at him, then, without warning, gave him a soft kiss on the lips. Hyun Joong was pleasantly surprised but before he could react she slapped his forehead lightly. "Don't think too much, that's just a friendly good night kiss," she said before walking away. She only managed to walk a few steps before Hyun Joong called her name.

She turned to him as he said: "I was just wondering if I can have just one more friendly good night kiss."

"Oppa, don't push it. It's late, go home," she said smiling sweetly before ily walking away from him.

On the way home Hyun Joong smiled happily as he his lips remembering So Min's sweet kiss.

Then his phone rang.

"Hello, Hyun Joong? Are you with So Min?" the person at the other end of the line said. "I was just with her, I just brought her back to her hotel," he replied as he recognized the owner of the frantic voice.

"Please take care of her. Don't allow her to return to Seoul anytime soon. Please keep her in America."