The Proposal

Just My Imagination

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's the loss of all rational thought when Taecyeon kisses her that Yoona decides is the biggest problem. And not just because in that moment when his hands slide up her back to the ‘oh yeah right there’ spot and his teeth tug at her bottom lip in a teasing and affectionate manner that all thought floats away, but because there are lingering side effects to kisses with Taecyeon. Like the inability to listen effectively in class anymore because her lips are still tingling from when he last kissed her. Or the way those words she once lived by pragmatism, intelligence, and uniqueness seemed to have dissipated from her memory or at the very least become that much harder to live by. Because Taecyeon defies logic. At least where she's concerned. He wasn't supposed to love her or vice versa. They were meant for different people. For her it would be some guy from her own company and he belonged with girls like her sister Jessica or from his own company’s Yubin.

That's how they got here. Because Yoona can't wrap her brain around Taecyeon's fixation with everybody’s girl named Ha Ji Won, even though she knows it's ridiculous and absurd and that every guy probably like her.

"Let's get out of here." Taecyeon says in that breathy tone that she's come to love. It's the voice that reminds her why she is with a guy like Taecyeon because there is this side to him that not many people get to see, but is worth the wait. This part of him that is as insecure and vulnerable as she feels.

"I don't know, Oppa." she meets his confused gaze and replies. "What if we end up right back where we started? You're ready and I'm not. I'm not sure if I am or not."

"You don't have to be scared of me, Yoong."

"I know that." she says, hoping to convey the faith she has in that statement. She's not scared of Taecyeon. And, she thinks, that is probably what scares her most about the whole thing.

"Yoong, come on. We're getting soaked." he says, running his finger along the rivulets of water that have streaked her forearm. She shivers against his touch, a jolt of electricity surging through her, until she finds herself pressing her chest against his own and wrapping her arms around his neck again. He grins and says. "I've got a concert tonight and I'll get my chewed out if I can't perform because I caught pneumonia while making out with a pretty girl in the rain."

She shrugs and asks in a surprisingly coy voice. "Does that mean you want to stop?"

"Hell no." he replies, covering with his own.

The rain starts to fall harder, faster, and Taecyeon once again pulls away. This time he doesn't ask her to leave. He simply envelopes her hand in his and pulls her down the street, practically in a jog. She feels her chest tighten, unsure if this due to her unfit lifestyle, apparently just eating and sleeping and not even once did exercise, or the way Taecyeon's eyes roam over her. Like he can't get enough of her and never will, like she's a beautiful goddess rather than plain Im Yoona.

It's when they're running in the rain, when she catches the way Taecyeon's shirt sticks to his chest and shows off his muscles and how the water slides down his cheeks, he has this little boy quality to him. This is when she decides that their love is weird and potent and something she never wants to end. This is when she realizes she is ready to give herself to him.

It's all she can think about. Running, ducking in and out of the heavier rain fall as they try to get to Taecyeon's apartment, and all the while silently repeating like some Buddhist chant. I think I can, I think I can, I can.

Taecyeon laughs as he throws open the door. He doesn't seem to notice the way Yoona is staring at him, or if he does notice, he's pretending not to. More concerned with getting them both dry and playing the role of valiant prince to a tee. He thinks that's what she wants and she knows that she has led him to believe that's true and what Nickhun probably threatened him into becoming. She knows this because, at some point, earlier on in things, that was what she wanted. A knight in shining armor to come in and rescue her from her mundane life, turning it on its head and leaving her breathless. Taecyeon does those things, but he isn't some superhero or character from a fairy tale. He's real, solid muscle with smooth skin and a killer smile when he is in charm mode.

He tosses her a towel and says. "You look cute as a drowned rat."

"Charming." she comments, surprised words can form aside from her mantra of the moment. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Taecyeon attempts to remove his shirt, getting caught up in it as it sticks to his skin, and Yoona helps him, peeling off the material. Her hands instinctively run along his chest and she stands on her tip toes to kiss him. She laughs as Taecyeon throws his shirt over his head and dips his head down to meet her lips with his own. He smiles against the kiss and whispers something indecipherable.

It happens so fast. Like most things with Taecyeon have this past year. One second they're standing there, peeling layers of wet clothes off one another and the next they're on the bed. Wet from the rain and indulging in makeup kisses that seem to keep getting stronger and more intense. She pulls back and watches Taecyeon. She thought she could do this, but not like this.

As if reading her mind, Taecyeon brushes a strand of her hair back and props himself up on the bed. He cups her face with his hands, calloused and rough from so much exercise but by far her favorite texture and says. "It shouldn't be like this."

"No, Oppa…"

"You're not ready."

"I am ready." she replies. He stares at her disbelievingly as though she doesn't know her own mind. She repeats. "I'm ready."

"You sure?"

"It's not that I'm not ready. This isn't, something is off. I can put my finger on it."

"Are you still worried that I'm gonna dump you or something?" Taecyeon pauses. He hops off the bed. Yoona calls after him, but he disappears into the kitchen. Yoona wonders if she has finally managed to push him away, to lead him on and then stop him in his tracks one too many times. But all those thoughts rush out of her head when Taecyeon returns with a mischievous grin plastered on his face.

"Why am I suddenly frightened?"

"Well, I'm terrified."

"What is…"

He cuts her off, placing his fingers on her lips. He sits down on the edge of his bed and thumbs a small plastic toy he picked up fumbling for the words. Yoona isn't sure what is going on, but her heart starts to thump. Loudly, so loudly that she can't believe Taecyeon's neighbors aren't complaining about the noise.

"Yoona, you, I didn't expect to find someone like you. You're not exactly what I thought I was looking for in a girl, but you saw something in me and I like the person I am when I'm around you. I love you."

She rests her forehead against his and replies. "I love you too, Taecyeon."

"I want you to know that I'm not going anywhere. That no matter what crap my fans and your fans might spout out or other people might lead you to believe about me or even my own jerky behavior might lead you to assume, I want you around. Always."

She smiles to keep herself from crying. Neither she nor Taecyeon are the wishy washy types, but he's making this incredibly hard for her. She says. "Me too."

He lets out a loud breath and says. "I'm glad to hear that because…" His voice trails off and he reaches for Yoona's hand. He opens her right hand and places the toy he had been holding in her palm. Upon closer inspection, Yoona's eyes widen and Taecyeon continues. "I know it's not a real ring, just one of those stupid candy rings that Mom had left behind but it was the best I could do on such short notice."

"Oppa…"

"Im Yoona, will you marry me?"

She shuts her eyes. She decides that this is a dream. A dream or a hallucination or maybe she's dead and this is her own version of heaven. It isn't possible that Ok Taecyeon is proposing marriage to her. It doesn't make sense.

"Yoong?"

"Is this a joke?"

"Look at me, Yoong…" he says. The way he says the words make her believe him and all those practical thoughts fly out the window when her eyes lock on Taecyeon's darker ones. And he grins. It's that damn grin again, she thinks, as she takes the plastic candy ring and puts it on her finger. She doesn't say anything, knowing whatever coherent words would come out would ruin the moment and maybe convince herself it's a bad idea, and wraps her arms around his neck.

He kisses the side of her head, her hair, and whispers in her ear. "Tonight then?"

She giggles. It seems an odd response, but this is what young love is supposed to be and she's going to enjoy it. She nods her head and kisses him. "Tonight."

"Meet me after the concert. We'll go celebrate."

She nods her head again and says. "Are you sure about this?"

"I am. You?"

"Yeah."

Taecyeon studies her for a second and states. "Everyone is going to flip."

"Maybe we should wait awhile before sharing the good news."

"Otherwise we won't be able to enjoy our honeymoon in peace." he replies with a wink. He kisses her again, deepening the pressure and intensifying the moment, but Yoona pulls away. He stares blankly at her as Yoona hops off the bed and throws on her sopping wet shoes.

She meets his perplexed expression and says. "Too much to do, Oppa. I need to get things in order before we go."

"So the romantic mood that I set…"

She leans across the bed and says. "Will have to wait until tonight."

He grins. "You're evil, Yoong. Just so we're clear."

She waves over the back of her head and skips, literally skips, out the door. A part of her wants to run and tell Heechul, but she knows what will happen. He'll talk sense into her and sense is the last thing Yoona wants to feel. She wants to follow the wave of emotion she's caught up in for once without overanalyzing and harping on every minute detail. And she will. Because tonight is her night and it promises to bring even more insanity and she can't wait for it.