Not again

Change can be good

“You are cheating!” Yunhee yelled as Eli once again won a match in FIFA Street. “5-1… I guess that means you are making breakfast tomorrow.” Eli flashed a triumphing smile. Yunhee crossed her arms over her chest. “Aish!” Yunhee exclaimed as she stood up. “Hope you like oatmeal.” Yunhee said as she started to leave the game room. “Oatmeal? You wouldn’t be that mean.” Yunhee just looked back at Eli with a huge grin on her face. “Wanna bet?” Eli made an agitated face as he groaned. “You are a horrible person.” Eli said while standing up. “Oh come on, oatmeal is good for you and from what saw the other day, you need to consider getting more fit. Otherwise you’ll get fat.” Yunhee patted Eli’s stomach while her grin grew wider. Eli shot her a death glare. “If eyes could kill.” Yunhee said as she turned around and walked out. Eli let out yet another frustrated groan and just plopped back down on the couch.

“Get up Already!” Yunhee yelled from the foot of the stairs. Eli rubbed his eyes and yawned. “I’m coming!” He yelled back as he sat up. “Hurry! Your oatmeal is getting cold and that makes it taste even worse.” Eli frowned. “Yay oatmeal.” Eli said with a sarcastic tone as he put on his uniform. As he was done with the uniform he fixed his hair and walked downstairs. When he entered the kitchen he saw that Yunhee was already on her way out. “You are already done?” Yunhee nodded. “I’m the assistant to the second entrance exam as well.” Yunhee threw her bag over her shoulder and went out to put her shoes on. “Your lunch is in the fridge, oh and remember to clean up after yourself.” Yunhee said and pointed her finger at Eli. Eli just glared at her. “Yes mom.” Eli’s voice was agitated as he sat down to see that Yunhee had actually made oatmeal. “Are you serious? I thought you were kidding!” Eli exclaimed. Yunhee flashed a pleased smile. “Have a nice day Eli.” Yunhee said cheerfully as she walked out of the front door. “er!” Yunhee thought as she placed herself on her bike with a big grin on her face. Eli just sat and stared at the bowl in front of him. “Urgh.” He made a disgusted face and pushed it away. He stood up and started to make some toasted bread instead. “She probably ruined my lunch too.”

Yunhee sat at her regular spot under the big oak tree as she was eating her lunch in the sunshine. Usually she would sit with her best friend Meeyon but after the Taejoon incident Meeyon had completely stopped going to school. Yunhee had heard a rumour that Meeyon had moved away without as much as saying anything to anyone. Yunhee wanted know if it was true and therefor went to Meeyon’s house and just as the rumour said, Meeyon was gone. Yunhee felt hurt that her former best friend didn’t even contact her to say goodbye. Yunhee sighed as she leaned her back against the tree.

The warm sun disappeared as a shadow covered her. Yunhee looked up to see a familiar handsome face. “Hi sunbae.” Yunhee said as she gave a small smile. “What brings you to my special spot and how did you find it? Only my most trusted people know.” Hoon chuckled and sat down next to Yunhee. “I was taking some pictures for the art teacher and saw you sitting here. You look like you could need a friend.” Yunhee sighed and looked up at Hoon. “You’ve been my extremely attractive sunbae for almost three years.” Hoon nodded as he looked pleased. “Yeah, so?” Yunhee looked down. “Am I a bad friend?” Hoon gave her a confused look. “Why would you think that?” Yunhee looked up at the blue sky. “Meeyon moved away and didn’t even tell me, she won’t even answer my calls. She’s been my best friend for 13 years, so I must have done something terrible since she just caught me off like this.” Hoon tapped his chin as he thought about a good answer. Hoon had been Yunhee’s piano teacher and tutor since she started high school, not that she needed his help but he enjoyed spending study time with her. “I don’t think you did anything wrong.” Hoon said as he looked into Yunhee’s dark brown eyes. “I think Meeyon wanted to start over because of what happened to her. Wouldn’t you have erased it all?” Yunhee looked to her lap. “I just wish I could have helped her.” Hoon made an understanding expression. “I’m pretty sure she heard about your outburst.” Hoon said with a smile. Yunhee looked over at her sunbae. “Is it still visible?” Hoon nodded. “It looks as if you just made it today. Where do you get all that strength from?” Hoon touched Yunhee’s arm “They are nothing but spaghetti arms.” Yunhee chuckled. “Thank you sunbae.” Hoon shook his head. “Don’t thank me. You are like a sister to me, so it’s no big deal.” Hoon flashed a kind smile as he stood up. “I’ll see you at your lesson tomorrow.” Yunhee waved as Hoon disappeared around a corner.

“Who made you that lunch?” Eli looked up to find his friend Kiseop looking down at him. “You know how I told about that smart girl from class 3-A is living with me?” Kiseop nodded as he sat down in front of Eli. “She made it.” Kiseop eyes widened. “It looks amazing! She must have spent at least an hour on preparing it.” Eli looked down into his lunchbox. “Why did she do such an effort?” Kiseop snapped his fingers in front of Eli’s face to get his attention. “Do you have something going on with her? It’s not every day you get a lunchbox like that.” Eli shrugged. “I bet you used all your Eli tricks on her to get her to do that.” Kiseop said as he gave a thumps up. “I tried some of them.” Eli took a spoonful of rise.  “But they don’t seem to work.” Kiseop could see that something was bothering Eli and therefore held his hand over Eli’s forehead. “You look troubled. Are you sick?” Eli quickly slapped Kiseop’s hand off. “I’ve told you not to do that. It’s annoying.” Kiseop frowned. “Then tell me what wrong.” Eli sighed. “That girl..” Eli told Kiseop about the things that happened the night before. “She seems awesome, not like all the other girls you are around. I want to meet her.” Kiseop said with a cheerful grin. Eli glared at him. “You just want to see if she’s pretty enough for you to date.” Kiseop shrugged. “That’s true.” Eli laughed and Kiseop laughed along with him. “God, I’m just as bad as you!” Kiseop exclaimed and stood up. “I need to stop seeing you.” Eli just smiled as he waved while Kiseop walked off.

Yunhee was done with her classes and had to clean the classroom before she went home. Yunhee was cleaning the blackboard as a first year ran into the classroom. Yunhee looked over her shoulder to see a young cute boy hiding in the corner of the room. Yunhee was about to say something when Taejoon entered. “So you try to hide from me Dongho? Stupid kid.” Yunhee noticed how the young dark haired boy was shaking. Yunhee sighed in frustration as she started to walk over to defend the boy. “Ya.” Taejoon looked back at Yunhee and smirked. “Oh did you miss me?” Taejoon’s voice was teasing as he turned to face Yunhee. “Let the boy go.” Taejoon raised an eyebrow. “What if I refuse?” Taejoon crossed his arms over his chest. Yunhee rolled her eyes. “I really don’t have time for your games, just let the boy go.”  Yunhee walked over to cover the boy. Taejoon’s eyes went from playful to angry. “Move away Yunhee.” His voice was cold and stern. Yunhee looked over her shoulder and whispered to the boy. “When I say go, you run. Okay?” The boy just nodded. “I’m not moving until you leave the boy alone.” Yunhee flashed a smile. “How dare you interfere with my personal business.” Taejoon’s voice was bitter and angry. He took Yunhee by the collar and held her close to his face. “Today Eli isn’t here to save you.” Yunhee just gave a superior look. “Who said I ever needed that jerks help.” Yunhee kicked Taejoon in the stomach as she turned her head towards the boy. “GO!” The boy did as he was told and ran.

Yunhee quickly pushed herself free from Taejoon’s grip as he groaned in pain. “YOU LITTLE !” Taejoon slammed Yunhee against the nearby wall as hard as he could. Yunhee whimpered as she hit the wall. Taejoon was over her in an instant. Yunhee did a turn as she kicked Taejoon to the ground and ran. Taejoon quickly followed her and caught up with Yunhee in the hallway. He took her in a firm grip. “Not only did you cost me my best friend you also cost me the pray of the day. I won’t go easy on you this time.” Taejoon’s eyes were like fire. “I didn’t expect you to.” Yunhee said as she once again kicked Taejoon, but this time she hit his special spot. Taejoon fell to the floor in pain as Yunhee quickly got out of his grip and ran. “YUNHEE!” Taejoon yelled as she ran around the corner and disappeared out of the school.

Yunhee ran until she was home. She raised her hand to her forehead. She had gotten a little wound from the impact with the wall. “ah ah ashhh.” Yunhee bit down on her bottom lip, the wound was hurting like hell. “What I do for my fellow students.” Yunhee said as she walked through the front door fixing her hair so the wound wouldn’t be visible. Eli came rushing out. “Where the hell have you’ve been?” He sounded mad. “I had cleaning duty.” Yunhee simple said as she started to walk upstairs. “Mom called. They are staying another three nights.” Yunhee gave a thumps up as she reached the top of the stairs. Eli noticed the blood on her hand. He ran up the stairs and took Yunhee’s hand. “Interesting cleaning duty.” Yunhee pulled her hand free. “Just let it go.” Yunhee started to walk to her room. Eli grabbed her again and saw the wound on her forehead. He dragged her off to the bathroom.

“AW!” Yunhee complained as Eli started cleansing the wound. “Sit still.” Eli placed his left hand under Yunhee’s chin to keep her head steady. “What the hell did you do?” Yunhee took a deep breath. “Taejoon was picking on a first year, I stepped in and this happened.” Eli shook his head. “You just keep getting more and more stupid.” Yunhee crossed her arms over her chest. “Should I just had let the kid get beaten up?” Yunhee glared at Eli. “When it’s Taejoon then yes.” Eli said as he put a bandage on Yunhee’s wound. Yunhee narrowed her eyes. “Why are you scared of him?” Eli looked away. “I have my reasons.” She crossed her arms over her chest as she send Eli a suspicious look. “Why?” Eli shrugged. “He’s just a lot worse than you think.” Yunhee titled her head as Eli looked at her. “Never mind. Just don’t interfere with him too much.” Eli stood up and left the bathroom.

Yunhee threw herself on her bed with a big sigh. “What was that all about?” Yunhee rolled over so she was on her stomach. “Urgh… I forgot to thank him.” Yunhee got up and walked to Eli’s room. She knocked on the door but there was no answer. “Eli? Are you in there?” Yunhee opened the door. Eli was standing in front of his bookcase holding a framed photo in his hand. Yunhee entered the room. “Didn’t you hear me knock?” Eli quickly put the picture down and turned around. “Don’t enter my room without permission.” Yunhee muttered a “sorry” as she walked back to the door and closed it. She knocked again and peeked inside. Eli couldn’t help but laugh at her. “You can come in.” Yunhee walked in and stood in front of Eli with an embarrassed face. “I just…” She paused. “What is it?” Eli bend forward so he could see her eyes. “Thank you for the bandage.” Yunhee said with a low voice as she quickly turned around to walk out. Eli stopped her by taking her wrist. “I didn’t quite catch that.” Eli had a teasing tone to his voice. “Yes you did.” Yunhee said as she tried to wiggle herself free from his grip. “Please say it again.” Eli smirked as he saw Yunhee’s face was beginning to get red. He pulled Yunhee closer so their faces were only inches apart. Eli placed his free hand under her chin as he forced her to face him. Yunhee felt her heart beat faster. “ he’s close. Do something Yunhee!” Yunhee took a deep breath and met Eli’s eyes. “Thank you for attending to my wound, even though I easily could have done it myself.” Yunhee flashed a warm smile and stomped down on Eli’s foot. Eli groaned. “What the heck Yunhee!?” Yunhee just flashed an innocent smile. “Keep your hand off of me.” She turned around diva style and walked out as Eli just groaned once again. “Where the hell does she get all that strength from? Aish, I think I need ice on this!”

Yunhee was preparing dinner when AJ walked in the kitchen. “Hi Yunhee how… What happened to you?” AJ quickly walked over and looked at Yunhee’s forehead. “Oh I just defended a first year.” AJ raised his eyebrows. “Who the hell did you defend the kid against?” Yunhee meet AJ’s eyes. “Who do you think?” AJ’s eyes got wide. “Why on earth would you go up against him again?” Yunhee rolled her eyes. “Just let it go.” Yunhee said as she walked over to wash some vegetables. “How can I when I know how dangerous he can be?” AJ put his arm on her shoulder. “You’ll get serious injuries if you keep interfering.” Yunhee looked up at AJ. “Come on, he’s just a senior. How much trouble can he be? Besides I’m pretty sure I’m stronger than him.” AJ’s catlike eyes became dead serious. “He’s the leader of a huge gang. If you piss him off too many times, he’ll send the members on you. Then not even you would stand a chance.” Yunhee looked down. “But why do both of you care so much about this? It’s my life after all.” AJ suddenly looked sad. “He…” AJ ran his fingers through his hair. “He did something really awful to a girl about a year back. Similar to what he did too Meeyon. He not only made her pregnant, he also got her beaten up to get her to lose the baby before people would notice.” Yunhee felt a wave of sadness fill her body. “I can’t believe anyone would do that.” Yunhee held her hand over her heart. “The girl was Eli’s ex.” Yunhee’s eyes went wide. “Why did he do it?” AJ looked out of the window and shrugged. “Don’t know, Eli never told me the rest. He couldn’t bear it.” Yunhee clenched her fists. “Both Eli and I are worried something like that will happen again. Since Taejoon has the hots for you…” AJ didn’t have to finish his sentence, Yunhee knew. “I probably shouldn’t have kicked him in the nuts today.”

Dinner was in complete silence. Yunhee had lost her appetite from her talk with AJ, Eli had been in a bad mood since this afternoon and AJ never really talked during dinner. It felt awkward to Yunhee and therefor she decided to ask small talk questions. “So.. Anyone did anything exciting today?” Both Eli and AJ looked at her with confused faces. “What? I can’t start convocation at the dinner table?” Eli and AJ exchanged glances, which Yunhee picked up. “What?” Yunhee crossed her arms. “It’s just a stupid topic.” Eli said as he leaned back in his chair with a lazy expression. Yunhee frowned. “Then come up with something better.” Eli smirked as he got an idea for a topic. “Are you a ?” Yunhee and AJ’s eyes got wide as the words left Eli’s lips. “What!?” Yunhee exclaimed. “I’m not telling you that kind of personal information.” AJ looked over at Eli with a -stop it- look. “What? Are you scared to answer? I thought you were a really honest person.” Eli gave a sly smile. “I’m not losing this time.” Yunhee thought as she straightened her back. “Fine. I’ll answer your questions.” Eli smiled in triumph. AJ shook his head and sat back to see where this was heading.

“Yeah I’m a .” Yunhee said indifferently. Eli raised his eyebrow. “No you’re not.” Yunhee waved her hands over her head. “Why does everybody think I’m not a ? Seriously!” Eli tilted his head. “You just seem to be too straight forward to be an innocent .” Yunhee narrowed her eyes. “Not every is an innocent little girl you know.” Eli shrugged. “So who was it with?” Yunhee facepalmed herself. “I have not had yet!” Yunhee said with an agitated voice. “Please take a new question.” Eli mumbled an “okay” before he found a new question. “Turn on?” Yunhee threw her head back. “Come on! Can’t you ask more meaningful questions?” Eli shook his head. “Nope, I only care about personal questions.” He flashed a smile as both AJ and Yunhee just rolled their eyes at him. “I don’t know maybe y eyes.” Yunhee shrugged. “I don’t really think much about stuff like that.” Eli studied her from top till toe. “You are such a liar. Everybody has something they just can’t hold back for.” Yunhee tapped her chin. “I really don’t know.” Eli made a disappointed face. “You are no fun.” Eli stood up and started to clear the table, since he was on clean up duty.

Yunhee’s phone rang as she was about to leave the kitchen. “Hello?” Yunhee waited for an answer but nothing came. “Hello?” Her voice was a bit louder this time. From the other end she heard some muffled sounds. “Who is this?” Eli now looked to see what was going on. Yunhee heard a cry of pain before Taejoon’s voice appeared. “You remember the boy from today?” Yunhee didn’t answer. Her face became pale as she heard the next sentence. “He’ll die if you don’t do what I say.” Taejoon’s voice was serious and cold. Yunhee bit her bottom lip. “What do you want?” Yunhee heard Taejoon laugh. “Come to the school gym and I’ll tell you. If you don’t come or bring someone with you, the kid is dead.” Yunhee’s eyes darkened as Taejoon hung up.. She looked back at Eli to see if he was listening, which he was. Eli didn’t seem to hear what the conversation was about so Yunhee made a cover story for herself. “That was Kevin… He has some kind of problem so I’m just going to stop by his house.” Eli just nodded. “Be back before midnight though.” Yunhee gave a thumps up and quickly went out to put her jacket and shoes on. “I’ll see you later Eli.” Eli looked after Yunhee as she walked out of the door. “Something is wrong.”