Chapter 10

I'm not okay

Your POV

I counted the days that I couldn't see Woohyun and marked them with chalks on the wall of my bed. And soon enough, I ran out of chalk to use.

"Aigoo, this girl. You have to eat up. You're so frail and thin!" Minhee said, shovelling down my portion of dinner.

She's right, I haven't been eating and lost quite a lot of weight recently. It was hard for me to sit around with nothing to do and expected to not think of Woohyun. Everyday I would hear the guards coming and I just wished that the guard were coming for me, to tell me that Woohyun has come to see me so he can tell me that he's sorry for not visiting lately. But it was always for someone else. Minhee's parents came often and so did the others' family, but never me. Mom comes once in a while, but dad doesn't want to see me anymore, and Mina never visited, which was weird.

Today, the guards are coming again, and I face the other way on my bed, counting the of chalk on the wall, knowing that the call isn't for me anyways.

"Park Minji." the guard's deep voice said, walking away, expecting me to follow.

Confused, I followed behind and smiled sheepishly when I saw Minhee giving me a wink. Walking out into the room I felt ashamed. It wasn't Woohyun or Mina or mum or dad, it was Kibum. My heart sank as he looked at me with his warm smile. Kibum was the only person I didn't tell. I was scared that he was going to judge me, that he was going to leave me like the others if he knew his friend was to have killed someone and is now sentenced to jail. I sat down and picked up the phone on my side, staring at him through the glass that separated us.

"Why didn't you tell me missy?" he asked.

"Because..because I..I'm so sorry." I said and he broke down in tears infront of me, and there was no way I could comfort him. That tore me apart.

"Look, you have to listen to me. Things aren't the way it seems. I'm sorry I didn't tell you...I didn't want you to judge me, I didn't want you to think that I've changed and..and I didn't want you to walk away from me." I tried my best to keep in the tears, and struggled greatly as I looked at my friend cry his heart out.

"Kibum-ah, listen. I'm sorry, but I have had way too many people walk out on me already, I can't afford to lose someone else, especially you. I know this really isn't the right time to say it, but..I think I have feelings for.." I said, about to confess my feelings for him but he cut me off.

"I thought you were mad at me that's why you didn't go to my wedding! Look at you! Hey, hey!" he yelled, pointing to the guard, "are you feeding her properly? Look how frail she is." he said, wiping away the tears. The guard, flustered and surprised, looked away.

"Wedding? Who's wedding?"

"Mine! You didn't show up, and your phone was always switched off. I was so sad. Are they treating you well in here baby?" he asked, concern showing in his eyes.

"I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your wedding.."I said, absorbing only the fact that he has got a wife now.

"It's alright. I wish you told me about this, then I would have at least delayed the wedding and visit you more! Can we bring food in here? Doesn't seem like they're doing a good at looking after you." he nagged.

"How did you find out?" I asked "It wasn't easy. Took me ages to find out! I saw your mum on the street and asked, and finally found where you were missy!" he said, looking crossed at me.

"Um, yeah. So, anyways. I, I need to go now." i said and hung up on him, walking away without looking back.

I could hear him calling my name in the background, but I couldn't turn around. I faced the wall of my cell and cried quietly to myself, biting the pillow, supressing the cries. Minhee probably figured something was up, so she didn't bother me that day. I cried myself to sleep, and eventually woke up during the mid of that night. Everyone is having the time of their lives while I'm wound up in here. Myungsoo is probably married by now and Kibum is already married happily, and Woohyun has Sohee. So...what do I have?

Kibum visited alot after that, more than a few times a week, always trying to cheer me up whenever he comes, but I kept the conversations short and always left to go back to my cell to avoid talking to him. But he began to come less often, and slowly, just like Woohyun, he never came at all.

Maybe it's due to Kibum, but I've been extremely active in the community service required to be done here lately. I've been actively involved in so many events and always tried my best with what I do, but that doesn't mean that my depression has been overcome. I feel as if when I'm working, i get my mind off things, and for a little while, I forget about Kibum, forget about his damn wife and focus on something else. All my hard work actually benefitted me greatly.The years of sentence were slowly decreasing, and days went quicker, and before I knew it, the guards came to tell me that it was time to go.

Although I was allowed to leave early, spending a hefty 4 years in jail would surely do some damage. Firstly, I need a job, and also a place to stay. Dad visited me once, and that was to tell me that I won't be welcomed back into the house when I finish my sentence. Fair enough, I guess. The man's old and must have been shocked.