Before, Now and after

Bittersweet Coffee

Luhan’s POV(Point of View)

I heard soft muffled noises moving about but I didn’t want to wake up yet so I kept my eyes closed, allowing myself to be consumed in my thoughts.

The past few days had been certainly interesting, making every tedious day more bearable.

I remembered when I got selected to be scouted by SM after I entered a talent competition with my friend. He had gotten mad at me and never spoke to me again after that day. At that point, I realised that everyone close to me had left- My parents passed away in an accident, my two older sisters had married, Lee Hyo Rim moved overseas and my friend decided to hate me after that day. When I first arrived, I felt like an outcast, a lost Chinese boy in the city of Seoul where KPOP ruled the lives of many people- lots of people being brainwashed by the fact that ‘natural beauty’ consisted of getting surgery on multiple parts of the face. No one knew who hadn’t undergone surgery but they didn’t care- it didn’t matter to them- If they complied with the standards then they were deemed beautiful. There was that pressure to look beautiful and be beautiful.

When I was shown to the dorm where the other members of EXO were staying, I was not expecting eleven pairs of curious eyes to stare at me. Shortly after, I learnt that EXO was split into two sub groups- EXO M and EXO K. I was part of EXO M. I met the members of EXO M and it took a very long time to know them. I simply wasn’t connected to them. Part of me still longed to be back in China.

As time passed, I grew used to this lifestyle. I wasn’t as happy as I used to be but I was satisfied. I earned enough to eat, sleep and play, buy materialistic goods and spend days dreaming about the past.

It was as if these days were in a continuous cycle- almost like a curse waiting for someone or something to free me from it. Everything became so repetitive, I found life almost unbearable. I entered a period of depression- I couldn’t see things the way I used to.

When I first saw her, my whole life seemed to change. The continuous, repetitive cycle seemed to snap, breaking the curse. The veil obscuring my vision was lifted and I began seeing the world in a different perspective, thanks to her.

Often in life, you have to lose something to gain something.

Should I move on from the past?

Was it worth it?

A door creaked open, indicating an arrival of an extra person. Their shoes scuffled across the floor.

"Is he awake yet?"

I closed my eyes, anticipating the dreams to awake.