Phobias

Bittersweet Coffee

Night soon came and swallowed daylight, leaving the lights of the amusement park to glow like the stars.

"Annyeong!~~~~~~~" A suspiciously cheerful ticket girl us into a compartment door with a wink.

"Luhan.. What did she say?," I asked as I stared at her retreating back in confusion.

There was no response so I turned around to see him pale 48 shades of white(if that was even possible). And that was when I remembered.. He was scared of heights. What was that word again? Acrophobia?

With a shudder, the ferris wheel began to turn, lifting us high above into the air.

"Careless, careless, shoot anonymous, anonymous.

Motherless, motherless, Noone who care about me"

I sang, hoping to distract Luhan from Acrophobia.

Surprisingly, he joined in and we belted the chorus to our heart’s content. As we finished singing, he looked into my eyes and said ," Thankyou" and my heart ached even more than before, knowing how much sorrow I had caused him those years before.

We sat there lost in our thoughts, only hearing each other’s breaths. I saw that we were descending- almost the end of the ferris wheel ride.

Don’t cry because it’s over, Smile because it happened.

BRR BRR BRR

Luhan’s leg vibrated. Or more like his phone did. His face registered confusion and I glanced at the incoming call. Even though I could not read Korean, I could tell that it was from an unknown number.

"Annyeong---?," He spoke cautiously.

"I’ve got your friends here with me. If you want o see them alive, bring yourself over now!," shouted Mei in a static-ky voice.

"Really? I certainly can’t hear them…," Luhan chose his words carefully- showing that he was not ruffled at all by her call.

"Arghhh"

I heard Kris’ groan emit out of Luhan’s phone.

"Meet me at ___________," Mei drawled with obvious delight.

"I’ll come back with you to the hotel. I need to go somewhere"

"No. I’m coming with you. I can’t leave Seo Chan alone"

"What if you get hurt?"

"Don’t worry. I’ll be fine"

"Wait.. I want to buy a frog first!," I said and pulled Luhan towards a stall where they were selling exotic pets. i paid for it and carried it happily in it’s box. Luhan eyes me curiously, wondering why I wanted to buy a frog.

---

We stopped the taxi a few hundred metres away from the spot Mei wanted to meet Luhan and got out. I held the box containing the frog carefully to my chest, hoping it would not cause a disturbance at the wrong time.

"Luhan. Give me your phone," I said and he understood.

"I’ll go first," and with that, Luhan began walking to the abandoned warehouse. Several hooded figures jumped out the darkness and attacked him as I watched on, torn between saving him or saving everyone. I hid behind a cluster of trees hoping that whoever I called would pick up in time.

"Tao? ," I whispered, hearing thumps as he retrieved his translator I think," I need your help." Within a few minutes, he had agreed to track Luhan’s phone to this location.

I began making my way to the abandoned warehouse where the second part of my plan was to take place. Gravel crunched beneath my every step and I cringed. So much for being a super sleuth.

Seeing that the warehouse was heavily guarded, I had to use a backup plan. I turned both mine and Luhan’s phone to silent. Using the scarf I brought with me this morning. I tied it around my stomach and placed the phones in, hoping it would stay and not budge. I almost couldn’t breathe. I guessed I tied it too tight. But it was now or never and my time was running out.

Mei. This is War.