A Deal

Hell Like No Other

At the first break, Zelo was sure there was a hole in his back where Jilin had been continuously staring at him. With anger, confusion, he didn’t know, but he didn’t like it. “Yo, Junhong, let’s go outside, it’s sunny.” Minhyun insisted.

But Zelo had other plans, “No thanks. You guys go ahead. It won’t be too long anyway.”

They shrugged, “Ok. See you later,” Changjo bent down and looked towards the back of the room, “and be careful. If you need anything, just yell.” With a slap to the shoulder, Zelo’s group of friends went outside, with a small glance to Jilin. He heard her desk scrape against the floor and she briskly walked up to him. She sat in the desk in front of him and rested her body to face him, arms crossed on her chair and legs placed around it. She didn’t wear the issued uniform; maybe the principal was too scared of her to make her wear it. Jilin wore a visible white tank top under that black jacket of hers as well as ripped jeans and shiny expensive looking black shoes. He wondered shamelessly if Zico stole those for her as well as the many rings that donned her fingers. But that wasn’t the point at the moment.

She gave him a long look; letting Zelo hang his head for a bit before saying, “Give me one Hell of a good reason why I shouldn’t call Zico right now and explain this to him.” He darted his head up and straightened. Her voice wasn’t threatening, not much, not with that face of hers. But he was still scared; fear gripping his senses but he pushed it away. He would look vulnerable if he was scared in front of her.

“Look,” He whispered, even though they were the only ones in the room, he was cautious, “I admit, I’ve been staying in school even after I joined the SAK a year ago. I know that it’s a trait to quit once I’ve joined. But…” He lightly punched his desk and sighed, “my parents, that night…they found out I was awarded the #1 spot in my grade. They went on and on about my career, my future, what this all was the start of. They’re working hard to provide me with something they think is best for me. I couldn’t tell them, I couldn’t quit school Jilin. But I also didn’t want to leave the SAK.”

She watched patiently, holding her phone in her right hand, ready to press call, “Is that it?” She’s lowered her voice to his level, respecting his precautions.

He bit his lip, “I didn’t want to disappoint my parents, Jilin.” She raised a brow, “I’m afraid they won’t accept who I’ve become. I love working in the SAK. They love me going to school. So…I thought why not just juggle both.”

Her hair fell into her face, but she didn’t move to push it aside, “You’re going against society you know. You’re going to school; you’re part of a gang. Zelo-“

“Don’t call me that here.” He hissed angrily, clearing his throat, “Seriously, just call me Junhong.” He didn’t even bother to ask how she knew his name. He was sure they haven’t met officially and this wasn’t going well. Then again, she does have her brother.

She rolled her eyes, “Junhong, you’ve turned into the best Maknae ever. Before I came in, Zico has always been telling me about B.A.P since you were the newest group. I’ve heard great things. But I never thought I’d meet you here.” She gestured her arms to the room, staring at him with wider eyes.

Pouting, he crossed his arms, “Look, please don’t tell anyone. Please. I’ll do anything, really. Anything.” He clamped his hands together and realization hit him.

He instantly regretted saying that, but he didn’t take it back, he’s already said it. And that’s what got her attention. Slipping her phone back into her pocket, she said, “This means a lot to you doesn’t it?” He nodded, “Fine. I won’t tell… I get what it’s like trying to impress your peers and family...” Zelo looked at her. He got a good look of her face. She did look a lot like her brother, but to Zelo, she also seemed different. And maybe she wasn’t so tall, but she was taller than he thought. He had to say around 166 centimeters. She looked at the time on the wall clock and got up from her seat, “We can discuss details about this later. Lunch? I know how to get up on the roof.” She smiled and left with that, just as the bell rang again and students came back in the building by the dozens.

Zelo’s stomach suddenly wasn’t so empty, his fear was gone completely and he didn’t seem to worry anymore. About anything. Maybe it was that talk with Jilin. She didn’t explain her side, why she wouldn’t tell anyone. But the fact that his biggest secret rested in the palm of her hands suddenly didn’t seem so nerve wracking. Perhaps it was because she said she understood where his decisions came from. It felt good to hear those words from someone, mostly because he hasn’t heard it from anyone before.

His friends were right; their teacher excused his missing homework as long as he turned it in the next day. Just to gloat, Changjo gently patted his shoulder and smirked. Zelo pushed him away and continued working on the assignment. This process continued until the lunch bell rung and Zelo gratefully closed his book. The familiar cramp in his fingers was back. “Junhong! Hurry up! I thought you said you were hungry!” Maru complained and tugged on his sleeve.

Zelo looked back, seeing Jilin carefully pack up her stuff. She pulled a strand of dark blue hair away from her face and walked out of the room, her black backpack hanging off one shoulder. She walked the opposite way from the lunch room. Zelo nervously chuckled, “You guys go ahead and save me something alright? I got some business to take care of.”

Sungjae looked around, “Are you sure?”

“Yea. Go, I’ll be right there.” He insisted and got up, hurrying towards the direction Jilin walked to. He darted his head, behind, left and right, as if someone might jump him. That’s why the sound of an opening door scared the out of him. But it was only Jilin, coming out of the bathroom.

She smiled smugly, “What? Jeez, calm down.” Her voice was barely a whisper, “There are still teachers around here.”

“You scared me to Hell.” He gasped and followed her.

Her laugh didn’t even echo, “Oh I wish.” He scowled at her, but she didn’t seem to notice or didn’t care. Probably didn’t care. Stopping in front of a blue door that read Roof Access, Jilin bent down and took a hold of the lock. “Yo Junhong,” She gestured her hand while still examining it; “you have a knife on ya’?”

Unfazed by her request, Zelo carefully took out a small pocketknife from his back pack and handed it to her, “Will that do?”

Jilin felt the knife’s tip and smiled, “Yea. Thanks.” She stuck the knife in the lock, rapidly changing its angle and pressure before it snapped open, “Zico taught me that. Took me days to perfect it.” She said and stepped in first. Zelo followed and kicked the lock inside with him before closing the door. It was dark, pitch black. If he didn’t know better Zelo would’ve thought he was sleeping. He followed her steps, nearly banging his own foot against the staircase he obviously didn’t see. Marching up, a sudden burst of light came through and he saw the girl at the top of the stairs, swinging open the door in front of her. Zelo hurried up and closed that door as well. “Ah. Cool eh?”

He leaned beside her and nodded. Zelo-nor Junhong-were ever afraid of heights, however he did appreciate that this school was only one level. It would’ve been a tragic death if he fell. He sat next to her and looked at her face, “So…why’d you want me here?”

She rubbed her thumb over her rings and sighed, “If I keep your secret, can you do something for me?”

Zelo swung his feet up; sitting crossed legged and nodded, “Yea. Anything.”

“Can you tutor me for this year’s finals?”

He raised a brow, “What? I thought new students were excused from that.”

She sighed again, “Well, yea. But I want to prove to people that people from the SAK can be smart too. Like you-but no one knows you’re part of the SAK, so that .” She chewed her bottom lip and pouted, “So, you said that you were the smartest in your grade, and you owe me. You can’t back off.”

Zelo shrugged, “I wasn’t going to anyway.” She looked at him through the corners of her eyes and smiled.

“You can go back to your friends now. Said you were hungry right?” She lay down and looked at the sky, expecting for him to get up and leave. But instead, he lay down next to her, folding his arms under his head.

He sighed, squinting his eyes at the sun, “I’m not hungry anymore.”

“Your friends will get suspicious.” She mumbled, crossing her legs, moving in her big jacket.

Zelo looked at her, craning his neck to get a better view, “I’ll just say I was in the library. Not a big deal, Jilin.”

“You sure?”

“Yep…”

-----

He went down first, so that it wouldn’t look so suspicious. Just before the bell rung, he managed to get back in class and was shocked to see Jilin too. Her hood was pulled over her eyes so that it looked like she was sleeping. She looked up and winked, turning back down. Zelo wanted to go up and ask how she did that. But he managed to get his mind off it and head towards his desk. His friends came in, casually walking past Jilin and slamming into Zelo’s desk. He jumped in surprise, “What?!” He hissed.

“Where were you at lunch dude? We were afraid that Jilin had gotten to you.” Changjo whispered.

Zelo shrugged, “Don’t worry. I’m fine. I just went to the library. I wasn’t so hungry plus, I think we have a quiz today.”

“WHAT? .” Minhyun groaned and slumped into his desk. His head made contact with the wood.

Zelo laughed, “I’m just kidding. I was just in there because I had to work on something.” Minhyun smacked his arm and scowled at him.

“You got me scared. Jesus Junhong.” He crossed his arms and looked up, “Hey. Jilin is looking this way.”

Zelo looked behind him and saw her reading a book. He rolled his eyes but still watched her look up from the textbook in front of her and smiled at him. She waved her hand, still grinning. Zelo couldn’t help but smile and wave back. Changjo grabbed his hand, “Damn it Junhong! What the Hell?!”

“What? I was just waving.” He insisted.

“You,” Changjo touched his chest, “have a super clean record. You’re the most envious student in this whole ing school. Do not ruin it by just looking at her-because trust me-that will happen if you even send her one glance.”

Like his reputation wasn’t already on the line. Zelo slumped down in his chair and spread his legs, trying to stretch, “Whatever… I know what I’m doing.” That was a lie. He had no idea what he was doing with both of his lives. Screwing them up, no joke.