If I Could

Karma Bites Back. HARD

Beware, a looooong chapter is comming up.

Red is Chinese

Black italics are thoughts

Blue is Korean

~~~

(Jinghwa's POV)

Instead of going back to class as I would have on any other day, I stayed in the clinic until the last bell rang. Waiting until the very last student was out of the building, I thanked the nurse for taking such good care of me over the year, and left. Walking past my badly damaged locker was hard, but I tried not to flinch.

Continuing my way to the big gates out front, I was suddenly ambushed by a pair of arms. “You IDIOT!” Lina screamed at me. “Where have you been all day? I saw you this morning, but then you disappeared. Do you know how worried your brother and I were when we couldn’t find you?!” She shook my still sore body.

I winced and gently pushed her arms away from me. “Sorry, Lina. I was just getting caught up on my studies and lost track of time. I swear, next time I’ll get a watch and make sure to not skip class!” I joked.

“What’s wrong?” She asked me, clearly not buying my lie.

“What do you mean, what’s wrong?” I asked her, putting on my best confused face. “Nothing’s wrong.”

“Yeah right. Something’s wrong with you, and I’ll be damned if I don’t get to the bottom of it. Now, tell me, what’s wrong?” She set her hip and crossed her arms, face a mask of stubbornness.

I sighed. “Do I have to?” I whined.

“Yah, as your best friend, don’t you think I deserve at least that much? All I’m asking for is you to tell me what’s wrong with you. Is that too much?” She scolded me, tapping her foot impatiently. “Now go on, tell me. Speak.”

“Fine,” I said. “Lina…I’m leaving.” I whispered.

“What? No you’re not. You are not leaving until you tell me what’s going on with you. You’re staying right here till I get the truth out of you.” She said.

“No, Lina. That’s the problem. I’m leaving. I’m going to Canada.” I said, a bit louder this time.

“WHAT?! You’re going to what?! Where?! Jinghwa, why didn’t you tell me before?!” Lina screamed.

“I just didn’t want you to react like this! I thought that since everyone else seems to hate me, you wouldn’t mind if I just suddenly disappeared!” I yelled back, tears forcing their way out for the nth time that day.

“W-what?” Lina stuttered and took a step back. “You thought WHAT? You thought that I was never really your friend? That after all those years, I wasn’t actually your friend and hated you just like ever one else did? Did you actually think that? That I wouldn’t even care or blink an eye if one day you just disappeared without a trace?” Her face started becoming red and her eyes watered and puffed up a bit. “You know what? The one that should rethink this friendship is YOU. How could you just think that? Didn’t this ever mean anything to you? Didn’t I ever mean anything to you? How could you…I thought we were friends.” The look on her face caused me pain. Hurt and betrayal were painted all over it, and I had caused it.

“I’m sorry, but-“ I never finished.

“No but’s. You know what? Since you think that I don’t care about you and that our friendship was never truly there, let’s make that happen. I don’t care anymore. You can go to Canada. No- you can go die for all I care.” She shouted at me, turning on her heel and running away in the rain.

Looking up, I hadn’t even noticed that it had started to rain. God’s tears perfectly matched up with mine, and I fell to my knees, still facing the sky. Lina’s last words had ripped a giant hole in my heart and now an unbearable pain took over my entire being.

(Author’s POV)

Screaming and pulling at your hair, you cried tears of hurt, regret, and pain. Everything went numb for you, and nothing made sense anymore. Curling on the ground in a fetal position, you repeatedly hit the wet concrete until your fists bled and the blood was washed away with the tears and rain. Eventually, you just lay there on the ground, unmoving, eyes closed, rain falling onto your body, and blood staining your clothes.

(Your POV)

“WAKE UP, Jinghwa, WAKE UP!!” Someone was shaking you and you kind of recognized the voice. The rain was still pouring and you didn’t want to open your eyes.

“WAKE UP! I can’t lose you too!” The voice screamed. Slowly, your eyes opened up and you saw Yifan.

“Gege, what-“ You coughed and your body shook.

“No time, we have to get you home and warmed up. What were you thinking?! You could have died!” He worriedly yells.

“I’m sorry, ge. I’ve just had a rough day.” You say, eyes full of remorse.

Pinching his nose bridge and sighing, he just picked you up bridal style and carried you home. Returning home, your father immediately made you some soup and prepared your bed for you. You tiredly changed out of your soaked clothes and into a pair of fresh pajamas. Sitting on your bed, you watched as Yifan carefully cleaned and bandaged your wounds.

“There, now it’s less likely for this to become infected.” Yifan patted your newly bandaged arm.

“Thanks.” You give a little smile.

“No problem, just lookin out for my baby sis.” He says, ruffling your hair a bit. “Now, finish up your soup and take the medicine with water. We’ll be leaving tomorrow at 7 am, alright? Remember that, because you better be ready by then! Alrighty, I’ll be back later to pick up the dishes.” He gives a caring glance at you and then closes the door.

Sliding down to a more comfortable position, you pick up the soup bowl and take a spoonful. “Mhmmm, dad really outdid himself again.” You whispered, gobbling down the delicious liquid.

After polishing off the tasty soup, you put the empty bowl down on you bedside table and picked up the pill for your oncoming cold. Taking it with the glass of water on the table, you lay back down and closed your eyes, thinking about the events that had happened that day. Once again, your heart clenched at the memory of you and Lina’s fight. Her words had hurt you deeply, but you knew that most of it was your fault.

But it was so hard to put all my trust in her, a part of you thought.

So, she was your best friend, your ONLY friend. You should have trusted her and not given up so easily! The other part yelled back.

Clutching your head at the annoying inner battle, you turned to the right and slowly, you drifted off to sleep, the effects of the medication causing your body to feel heavy and lethargic. Too tired now, you slipped out of consciousness and delve into the comfortable waves of sleep.

(Yifan’s POV)

I walked back you mei’s room and was satisfied to see her fast asleep, curled up on her right side, mumbling to herself softly. I walked to her bedside table and picked up the dishes, preparing to leave, when she suddenly turned her body towards me and stirred a bit.

“Mhmm…Don’t leave me…” I heard her softly plea. I only sighed and picked up the dishes once more, turning to make my way to the door.

As I was about to take my first step away from the bed, her hand shot out and gripped the tail of my shirt, mumbling louder this time. “No! Don’t leave me! I don’t…I don’t want to be alone.” She pulled at my shirt and I just stood there, wondering what to do.

(Author’s POV)

Sighing, Yifan’s eyes softened and he slowly and gently pried Jinghwa’s hands off him. She reached out for him once again, but he moved to the other side of the bed, out of her reach. Sitting down carefully as to not disturb her or wake her, Yifan slowly lay down beside her and closed his eyes, turning to face his mei and hug her close. To his surprise, he felt tears leak through his shirt and looked down, only then realizing that she was crying softly on her sleep.

(Yifan’s POV)

I reached a hand to her face and wiped away the tears. Pulling her even closer to my chest, I could also feel the slight trembling of her body as she wept. Kissing her forehead once and tightening my arms around her chubby frame, I closed my eyes again and we fell asleep like that, laying together cuddled up and with her in my arms.

(Jinghwa’s POV)

Waking up my alarm clock ringing, I kept my eyes closed from the tiredness. My body felt more constricted than usual. Had I gotten even fatter in the span of a night and filled up all the space? No, that’s not possible. My mind thought. Opening my eyes cautiously, I was surprised to see Yifan’s face in front of me.

How did he get here? I thought. What did I do last night? I lightly shook his body.

“Wake up, ge. What are you doing here?” I asked him once he was slightly more awake.

Shaking his head, he ruffled his hair back into place. “Oh, last night you were crying so I came to comfort you. I guess I fell asleep.” He said, yawning and stretching his tall frame.

“Oh.” I said. I cried last night? I wondered. I just shrugged it away.

“Alright,” He said, getting out of bed. “Go change and take a quick shower. It’s already 6 am, so you have an hour to finish getting ready and grab the rest of your stuff. We leave at 7.” He walked out my room.

I quickly grabbed some random clothes from my suitcase and took them to the bathroom. After a fast shower, I put on the clothes and went back out to grab all the leftover stuff there.

(Yifan’s POV)

I hadn’t meant to lie to her, it’s just that I wanted to shield her from the truth. I didn’t know what had made me do it, only that my gut told me to lie.

(Jinghwa's POV)
Going downstairs with my luggage, I looked around the empty house once more, the closed my eyes, bathing in the good and bad memories that happened here. Reopening my eyes, I turned to the breakfast table and sat down across from my father.

“Good morning!” I chirped.

“Ah, you seem happy today, Jing. I am glad.” My father smiled, causing some wrinkles to show.

We ate in mostly silence afterwards. After a modest breakfast, we grabbed all our things and made our way out the door. The three of us stood outside of our now old house and just looked at it. I was aware that this might be the last time I see it again.

Soon, it’s time to go, and we get in the cab that my father had called before and we drove off to the airport. Reaching the Incheon International Airport, father payed the cab driver and we unloaded our things. Checking in and going through security took a while, and by the time we got to the terminal, it was already 8:30 am. Our plane left at 9.

Boarding the plane, I became more excited, for this would be my first plane ride ever. The clock struck 9, and our plane was off, flying hundreds if not thousands of miles up in the air, headed straight to Vancouver Canada, to our new home, and my new life.

(Lina’s POV)   

I woke up after a long night of crying, eyes puffy, nose stuffed up, and already feeling guilty for the words that had come out of my lips last night. I knew I had to apologize to Jinggie now, because I just felt too bad. Looking at the clock by my bed, it was 7:23 currently. I took a short shower and put on some clothes, going downstairs and greeting my mother.

“Mom, did you know that-“ My mom cut me off.

“Ah, Jinhwa’s family is moving to Canada. I don’t know if they’ve left already or not.” My mom said.

I narrowed my eyes. “You knew too?” I said accusingly.

“No, I just learned about it this morning, when I listened to their voice message on the phone. They’re leaving this morning. We should see if we can send them off.” Mom said cheerfully.

“Alright, can we go over to their house now?” I ask.

“Ah, let me get ready first.” Mom says, turning to go to the bedroom where my dad’s probably still sleeping.

By the time both of them are up and ready to go, it’s already 8:19. Going to the Wu’s household, the door is locked and the lights are locked, a SOLD sign out front. It was 8:31.

Turns out, they had left at 7 and their plane left at 9, we learned, after asking some neighbors and checking the flight schedule. I looked at my watch. It was already 9:17. I was too late.

We had been best friends for many years, but when she left, the last words that had been exchanged between us were harsh and bitter, leaving bad memories in their wake. I regretted ever saying any of those things, and wished I could go back in time. I would take everything back if I could.

(Your POV)

Sitting by the window seat next to Yifan, I looked outside the window and watched the fluffy white clouds pass by slowly. My mind drifted to yesterday night, the words that had pierced me so painfully, and my good mood dimmed slightly. If only I hadn’t said that one sentence. If only I could go back in time and fix it all, make it so that the fight never happened, I would. If I could just go back in time, I would erase it all, all the pain, hurtful words, and stupidity. If I could.

After a couple of hours of occupying myself with the things around me, I became tired and checked the statistics of the plane. We were currently flying over the ocean, and the time in Korea was 5 pm at home, but I was feeling tires and everyone else was resting. I just laid my head on Yifan’s shoulder and dozed off.

(Author’s POV)

 

The flight was peaceful and quiet, and as the plane soared above the world, two hearts were separated and wounds healed. Not quite right, but the bleeding stopped, and 2 friends slowly let the differences between them go.

~~~

Ok, this chapter was a bit long. I was in a writing mood. Anyways, the ending because I didn't know whether or not to make it longer or to just end it, but as you can see, I chose to end it here. Because of that, I had to write something to wrap it all up, and I chose those 2 stupid sentences to do the job. I apologize. So....I hope you enjoy this chapter. Comment, upvote, and subscribe! <3