You Can't Forget the Past

Karma Bites Back. HARD

Author's note at the bottom.

All in Korean

You’re surprised and amazed to see two members of BAP standing at the front of the class. However you can’t let others notice that you know them. After all, that would ruin the normal life you worked so hard to obtain and keep over the last half year. As they walk past you to their designated seats next to the girl sitting next to you, you catch their eyes and give them a little nod in acknowledgement.

After class ends, Lina turns to drag you off to the cafeteria but you stop her.

“Hey, I have to go talk to a teacher for a sec so go eat before me.” You say.

“Okay, I’ll save a seat for you.” She says.

“Thanks.” You smile and wave back at her while walking away.

You stand on the roof hoping that the rest aren’t lost and will somehow find the door leading to the roof. You had texted Daehyun asking him whether or not the rest were here also and the answer was yes. You told him where the rooftop door was and told him to tell the others to meet you up there during lunch.

Finally, after what feels like a thousand years of waiting, the door slams open and the gang files in. Almost immediately, you’re tackled by a wild Minjee and Zelo.

“Wahhhh, we missed you so much!!!!” They both scream.

You stumble back, trying to stay balanced with two giant koalas clinging onto you.

“Zelo, off.” You hear Yongguk say as Serin also says “Minjee, off.”

The two pout as they are yanked off you by their respective elders.

~~~

Turns out that your little meeting took more than “a few minutes”. It was actually more like the entire lunch break. In that time, the gang told you about how they quickly realized that things weren’t going to work as well as they thought without you. Without a leader, Breath quickly weakened and another gang creeped up the ranks. But before actual confrontation with them, BAP had knocked them down and Breath was shaken back to their senses and realized that nothing good would happen without their leader. That’s when they all decided to pool their savings and start working their asses off to come to Korea for you.

By the end of the story, you had tears clinging to your lashes and no words to say. It touched you deeply that they would leave everything they had in Canada to come to see you.

“Where are you guys staying at the moment?” You ask.

“We rented two apartments for a really cheap price by xxxxxxxx.” They say.

“Half of us are actually working for the landlady since she also owns a small bakery on the bottom floor of the building. The other half of us are working in different places around here. Things are okay. We have enough to eat and a roof over our heads. Our bosses are pretty nice too.” Serin says.

It feels like only minutes have passed but the warning bell for class rings and all of you scramble to pack up and get to class.

You say goodbye to the gang and make your way to class. When you walk in, the late bell rings and the teacher sends you a look. You bow quickly and slip into your seat next to Lina.

“What took you so long? You didn’t even come to lunch and I sat there waiting for you forever.” She whines.

“Sorry, it took way longer than I expected but things are all good now.” You apologize.

Lina opens to say something else but it’s all lost to you when Hana and Ari walk in the door. The boys hoot and the girls sulk.

“Hey are you even listening to me?” Lina taps you on the shoulder.

“Huh? Oh, yeah, sorry I just spaced out.” You snapped out of it.

“Why are you staring at them so hard? Do you know them or something?” Lina asks.

You flinch. “Actually…”

~~~

Lina yanks you by the arm out of the classroom as Hana and Ari look on with clear question marks over their heads.

As she pulled you out through the hall, her face was blank. Entering your next classroom, she let go of you and plopped both of you down into your respective seats.

“Why are your friends from Canada here?” Lina whispers.

“They said they missed me so they found a way to move.” You reply.

“But how can they all move at the same time? Don’t they have family back there?” Lina wonders.

You tense. ‘Crap, I hadn’t thought about that before.’ You think.

“Well you see, the girls are in the same family and the guys are also in the same families. They’re siblings. Their adoptive parents are super chill and let them do whatever as long as it’s legal and they have enough money to take care of themselves.” You make up on the spot. You smack yourself in your head. ‘How did I even come up with this bull story?’

Thankfully Lina apparently completely understands. “Oooh, that’s pretty cool. So they just let them all move here? Wow, I wish I had that much freedom.” She sighs.

“Haha, yeah.” You say kind of uncomfortably.

~~~

In the end it’s just your luck when they’re assigned to the empty seats next to Lina and you hear her asking about their “adoptive parents” and how great it must be to have so much power over their own lives as Hana and Ari just smile and answer the best they can while shooting you questioning looks through the corners of their eyes.

The day finally ends and you’re glad the whole “class, we have new students from Canada” thing is over. You begin to walk home after saying goodbye to Lina when you’re tackled from the back by a skinny arm.

“Unnie, where are you going?” It’s Minjee’s  voice.

“I’m going home to finish my homework.” You reply.

Suddenly she’s standing in front of you blocking your way.

“No, you’re going out with us to the ice cream shop.” She says matter-of-factly.

“What? No I’m not. Minjee, do you know how much more homework they give here in Korea than back in Canada?” You say.

“You’re only free right now because you randomly transferred in the middle of the school year.” You try to walk around her but she follows your path.

“But we really missed you and want to hang out with you.” Minjee pouts.

“No, I need to keep my grades up.” You say.

“Were you always like this? I feel like you’re different now.” Minjee says seriously.

“I know, but it’s just that I want to live a quiet, peaceful life here. It’s not that I don’t welcome you guys, I really am happy you’re here, but I just want to be normal.”  You say calmly.

“Fine. Just come with us once and we’ll talk it out.” Minjee frowns.

~~~

The silence between all of you is suffocating.

You’re all sitting in the shop, each with a cup of slowly melting ice cream in front of you. No one moves and no one speaks. You can feel their stares piercing your skin.

You clear your throat.

“So…is this why you all wanted me to come? Just to sit and stare at me?” You shift in your seat uncomfortably.

They continue to look at you with solemn eyes, before Serin opens .

“Wu Jinghwa, will you join Breath again?”

~~~

Hi my friends, I know I've been a very unreliable author and you probably all hate me by now, but I'm here to apologize. I've been having trouble gathering myself for this story, and at one point I had half a mind to just quit, because I had absolutely no idea how this would continue. However, I realize that that would be unfair to all of you, my readers. Thus, I have decided to put in more effort to continue this story which I consider my baby. 

Thank you all for your patience and love, and I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, short as it may be. Please leave me a comment if you wish, and have a wonderful day. <3