New Life

Karma Bites Back. HARD

ALL IN KOREAN

"How do you know my name..." Lina takes a quick step back from the stranger.

Just then, the front door of the house opens and a tall blind figure walks out.

"Yifan oppa?" Lina looks very confused as she looks between her ex best friend's brother and the unknown girl standing before her.

"Oh hey, Lina. Fancy seeing you here." Kris awkwardly chuckles, bending down to pick up another box.

"Why are you here?" Lina questions him.

"What do you mean? We've moved back because of dad's job. Didn't Jinghwa tell you already?" Kris looks at the two girls with a frown.

"Jinghwa? How would she tell me anything? I haven't talked to her since you guys left for Canada." Lina says, incredulous.

"But...you guys are standing right next to each other." Kris raises an eyebrow.

Lina whips around to the girl standing next to her who till this point, has not said a word since Yifan walked out.

"Jinghwa?"

~~~

"Jinghwa?" Lina looks wary and confused, but there’s a look in her eyes that makes you cringe, bringing back all the good and bad memories between you two.

You quickly look away.

"Jinghwa, is it you?" Lina reaches a hand out to touch your arm, and you look up at her, into her searching eyes. Breaking down, you nod slowly, and before you could process anything, her arms are around you, and you can feel tears stinging your eyes.

 

~~~

"It's you. It's really you." Lina cries, clinging onto Jinghwa's body.

Said girl stands still as a statue, tears slowly making their trek down her face.

Finally, she gently peels Lina's form off her own and says "Do you want to come in?"

~~~

Jinghwa's POV

The furniture etc. had already been moved into the house via moving men earlier in the day, so I led Lina up the stairs and into my room, the same one from years ago.

My hands are jittery as I close the door behind us, and things quickly become awkward. I can feel the tear trails drying on my cheeks and quickly rub them away. What am I doing, THE Wu Jinghwa of Breathe crying pathetically because of a person?

 

I turn to my guest. "Would you like anything to drink? We only have water though."

"Sure, just let me call my mom and tell her I'll be out for a bit longer than usual." She replies, pulling out her phone.

~~~

Lina’s POV

I pull out my phone and dial one. I hear the dial tone.

“Hello? Sweetie? Is anything wrong?” My mother’s voice rings through the speaker.

“No, I just wanted to call to tell you I might be a big late home because I met a friend on my jog.” I tell her.

“Oh, okay, that’s alright. Who is it?”

I pause for a moment before answering her question. “…Jinghwa.”

I hear my mother gasp. “Oh! Really? When did their family come back? Where do they live now? Are they well?” She shoots rapid-fire questions at me.

I silently hand the phone to Jinghwa. “My mom’s grilling me.” I mouth to her then roll my eyes.

The corners of twitch up just a tiny bit.

I rejoice in my head. Finally, after so many years, I get to see even just a little bit of her smile.

~~~

Jinghwa’s POV

I can’t help it. The muscles in my face tighten just a bit and I find myself almost smiling. I take the phone from Lina and put it to my ear.

“Hello Mrs. Kim, this is Jinghwa speaking.” I say.

“Oh, hello dear. I heard from Lina that you moved back to Korea. Where do you live now? Do you and your family need anywhere to stay temporarily?” Mrs. Kim asks.

“No ma’am, we’re fine. We actually only put the old house on lease and the former tenants just moved out a month ago so we’re back at our old place again.” I say politely.

“That’s great, well then, don’t let an old lady like me take up your reunion time. Just tell Lina to be back before 8, alright?” Mrs. Kim says, chuckling a bit.

“Alright ma’am, will do.” I couldn’t help but crack a smile at her words. I was always extra fond of her. She was almost like a second mother to me.

I hand the phone back to Lina.

‘Your mom wants you home before 8.’ I mouth.

‘Got it.’ She mouths back, and it suddenly feels like the old days again.

I hand the phone back to her and hear Lina say ‘Okay mom, I will. Love you.’ before she hangs up.

“Sooo…” Lina trails off, and the atmosphere becomes strange and awkward once again.

~~~

I ended up explaining the whole situation to Lina, starting from that first day of school in Canada where I got lost and ridiculed to the very end, where I had become the most popular girl in the school. We sat there in the living room still yet to be furnished for what seemed like hours as I poured all my struggles and secrets out to my old best friend. All but one secret. BAP and Breath.

“Oh my goodness. How is all that possible? It seems so unreal.” Lina breathes, looking at me like I’m a whole new species.

“Well, it’s real all right. I lived through it all.” I chuckle a bit.

I take a look at the clock on the wall and am surprised when it reads 7:45.

“Hey Lina, you need to leave now. Remember how your mom wanted you home by 8? Well it’s already 7:45 so you should leave now. After all, it does take around 10 minutes for you to walk home from here and it’s dark outside right now.” The words spill out in a torrent I can’t hold back.

Lina looks even more baffled now. “You…even after so many years you still remember exactly how long it takes for me to get home from your place?” Her eyes shine with emotions.

I take a small step back. “N-no, I just took a guess. I did say it takes AROUND 10 minutes.”

“Whatever. You totally missed me, didn’t you? Awwww, bestie, I missed you too. Well I’ll be leaving now, so yeah.” Then she grabs her phone off the table and speeds out.

“Funny, I didn’t even realize that the door was unlocked still.” I muse quietly.

Then, “damnit, I didn’t even get her phone number.”

~~~

That night I lay in bed thinking about how I really felt about returning to the place that once haunted my dreams.

~~~

The next day was a Saturday, and my family began unpacking the numerous boxes we had brought along.

“What the hell, ge?! That was my foot!” I jump up and down clutching said foot that he had just dropped a box of books on.

“Sorry, that was an accident.” He replied, but I could see clearly that it was no accident from the creases around his mouth as he fought to keep his smile restrained.

“Bullcrap.” I held in my foul mouth because dad was in the room.

“Dad, Jinghwa said a bad word.” Yifan tattled on me.

“Sigh, you kids are still the same. This one is getting ready to enter one of the most prestigious universities in Korea and the other a to-be senior in high school and yet you still fight like little children. I’ll just leave both of you to fix your problems yourselves.” Then he walks out to get more boxes.

~~~

Time flew by quickly and you grew accustomed to living in your old house once more. You found out that Lina hadn’t changed her phone number in the past 3 years when you tried calling her old number and were pleasantly surprised it was still hers. The two of you patched up your misunderstandings and awkward feelings over bubble tea and ice cream among other fatty foods and movies late at night. You also both came to the agreement that she would no longer call you Jinghwa and instead address you by your English name, Kate. She would also not mention anything about your past to anyone at school or tell anyone that you were Jinghwa since you wished to start afresh.

School begins with a strange sense of normality and as you walk through the gates of you old torture grounds, you swear to yourself that this time things will be different. You won’t let anyone step all over you anymore.

~~~

“Alright class, we have a few students this year. They have come from all over Korea and some are even from America and Canada.” The teacher speaks, waving a hand at you and the few others standing in a line at the front of the class.

You feel eyes sweep across your body and the others around you.

“Now, let’s have the new students introduce themselves.” The teacher steps back and the first kid in line steps up to speak.

You tune out the other’s introductions and instead scan the room for familiar faces. You see Lina sitting in the middle of the room shooting you looks and eyebrow raises and you internally roll your eyes. The next few people to catch your eyes are 4minute and Kai. Damnit, why did they all have to be in the same class as you?

“New student? Come introduce yourself to the class.” The teacher calls and you snap out of internally killing yourself.

You take a step forward and hear the boys in the class scooting their chairs in to get a closer look at you. You internally roll your eyes again.

“Hello, my name is Kate Wu and I’m from Canada.” You say coldly before stepping back again.

Though you had only said a few words compared to others, the clapping you got was especially loud and mostly from the boys. The girls just shot you dirty looks.

“Settle down, class.” The teacher chided and slowly the room became quiet again.

“Now, who would like to show a new student around the school this week?” The teacher asks, and almost all the boys in the class shoot their hands up.

Turns out that most of them had wanted to show you around, but you narrowly escaped being shown around the school by some hormone driven male teen by requesting that Lina show you around instead. The teacher had readily agreed.

“Gee, I guess you’ve got a lot of fanboys now, eh?” Lina teased as you were both on your way to your next class. Coincidentally, her schedule and yours were the same.

“Shut up, it’s not like I’m happy about it.” You pout. “I just wanted to live my last year of high school comfortably and peacefully.”

“Yeah, well I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon.” Lina snickers.

“But you know what? Things have actually changed around here.” She says.

“Really? How so?” You say, raising an eyebrow in question.

“4minute’s not so bad anymore.” She replies as you both step into the new classroom.

“What do you mean?” You feel skeptical of the thought.

“Well, they don’t hang around Kai anymore and they started being really nice to everyone after you left.” Lina says.

You two choose seats next to each other and put your things down.

“Nice? I didn’t think they were capable of being nice.” You frown. But then you think back to your first period, realizing that they were a part of the few girls that didn’t glare at you for capturing the attention of most of the boys in the class. In fact, if you remembered correctly, they had even smiled at you.

“Well apparently they are. It’s almost been a full 3 years and they are still being as nice as ever. But I can’t say the same for Kai. That jerk is still the same.” Lina shudders.

“Hmm.” The conversation ends and you don’t pay attention in class, too busy thinking about Lina’s words.

~~~

Kai and 4minute turn out to be in a lot of your classes but you do your best to not think about any of them.

Lunch finally comes and you’re practically salivating, being so hungry you could fold over and die if you had to wait another minute to eat.

As you stuff your face with food and chat with Lina who is doing the same, a shadow crosses over your tray as a person stands behind you. You and Lina turn around only to be met with a smirking Kai.

“Can I help you?” You say emotionlessly.

“You sure can. How about you come over and sit with me and my friends, beautiful?” Kai says greasily, tilting his chin in the direction of his table.

You look over and see his other friends smiling creepily at you and shudder a little.

“No thanks, we’re fine where we are. In fact, we’re perfect right where we are.” You say politely.

“Aww, come on now gorgeous, you don’t really mean that. Come sit with us. It’ll be a lot more fun than sitting alone.” Kai doesn’t give up.

You begin to get annoyed. “I’m not alone, I’m sitting with my friend Lina and we’re having a lot of fun.” There’s a bit of an edge to your voice this time.

“Just come sit with us. You won’t regret it.” Kai seems to also be losing his cool.

No I think I will regret it. You think to yourself. This whole time, Lina has been sitting and glaring at Kai.

“No thank you again.” You turn back to finish your lunch and see that almost everyone in the cafeteria is looking at your table.

“Listen here, you-“ Kai never gets to finish his sentence because just then the bell rings and you’re saved. You Lina quickly pick up your trays and walk past Kai like he’s not standing right behind you.

After making it to the next class which thank goodness Kai was not in, the two of you heaved a sigh.

“Only the first day of school and already this is happening to you.” Lina pats your back sympathetically.

You sigh. “Isn’t this super ironic though?” I never thought he would approach me in this way. You laugh a little.

“True that.” Lina says, before the teacher walks in and class starts.

~~~

At the end of the day, as you’re waiting for Lina to finish talking to a teacher so both of you can leave together, you spot 4minute walking towards your direction and you hide behind the corner as they walk into the restroom. Then you stealthily peer in and eavesdrop on their conversation.

“Ugh, Kai was being so annoying today.” Jihyun says while powdering her nose and you jerk back with surprise. Well, that was not the first thing you thought would come out of .  

“Yeah, I know right? He just kept annoying that new girl from Canada. I felt really sorry for her.” Hyuna adds in, pulling out a tube of lipstick.

“I just hope that she doesn’t become one his insane followers like we were way back when. Gosh, we were so stupid. What’s so good about that guy anywas?” Jiyoon scoffs, leaning against the wall.

The others nod in a way that can only be described as a pity nod.

You stand still, shocked that they were actually on your side. You sense that they’re finished fixing themselves up and quickly turn away and act like you’re just walking by when Lina comes out of the classroom she was in and calls you name just as 4minute were walking out of the restroom. You quickly turn your head away from them but they notice you anyways.

“Hey, you’re the new girl from Canada right?” Gayoon says as the group approaches you.

“Yeah, I guess so.” You reply.

“I saw what happened to you during lunch today. Kai’s just like that. He’ll jump on anything that looks even remotely okay and has nice legs. Just ignore him, okay? It’ll be okay.” She goes on.

“Also, if you ever need somewhere safer to sit during lunch in case he bothers you again, you can always come sit with us. We’re in the back by the doors. We’re here for you. We know how annoying and disgusting Kai can get.” Jihyun says.

Again you’re shocked. Not only were they talking about how bad Kai was, but they were also offering you help.

“Okay, thanks.” You say.

“Alright then, bye Kate, bye Lina.” Wow, they even knew your names.

Lina nudged you as they walked away.

“I told you they weren’t bad anymore.” She said proudly.

“I would have never thought.” You say, staring into space.

~~~

The next day was when the love confessions started rolling in. You knew you were considered “hot”, but you didn’t think the reaction would be like this.

“K-kate, you caught my eye when you first walked into the classroom and I really like you so could you please go on a date with me?” Some boy held out a box of chocolates and a card to you as you walked into class.

You blankly stared at him for a moment.

“Sorry.” You then pushed past him gently to get to your seat next to Lina.

The boy crumpled to the floor in despair.

The day continued on in this fashion. While you were rejecting boys left and right, you could feel the glares of girls on your back. Whatever, they could all just off and leave you alone.

The day went by rather smoothly, if you just took out the parts where you were bombarded by gifts, flowers, and confessions. You were glad that Kai hadn’t bothered you to sit with him at lunch again. Instead, you actually took up 4minute’s offer to sit with them and found that they were pretty cool people.

~~~

A few weeks pass peacefully and you become even closer to 4minute and learn to just ignore Kai’s constant advances on you. Every day was something different but just as disgusting. One day he would ask you to eat with him, the next to go home with him, and the next to do something else but you just tuned him out and walked away.

“Come on, baby. You know you want me. Who doesn’t want me? You’re lucky I only pay attention to you.” Kai was at it again.

“Yeah right. Why would I want you? No, I think I’m quite well off without you pestering me.” You scowl at him.

“It’s already been 6 months since you moved here. I know you’re secretly attracted to me and you’re just trying to hide it. After all, I’m hot, I have abs, and I’m rich. What more could you want?” He smirks and tries to your hair and you want to snap and deck him, but you remind yourself that you chose to live your life as a normal girl. Gangs were not in your life anymore.

You decide to just hold it in and ignore him until Lina comes. This is all Lina’s fault. She woke up late and couldn’t meet you at the gate this morning.

Usually, Lina was the one who warded off Kai’s terrible advances with a glare and some curse words. She was known as the one who was the bark, and no one, not even her, knew you were all bite.

Finally, Lina slips into the classroom right as the bell rings. She gives a scathing glare to Kai and he glares back, refusing to move from the seat next to you. However, the teacher walks in and orders him back to his seat so Lina can sit down.

“So, class. Today is a very special day because we will be having some new students join our class. I know it’s the middle of the year and you’re all already accustomed to your classmates, but I hope you will all be welcoming to these boys and girl.”

At the word “boys”, all the girls in the class whip out their compacts and check their faces. At the word “girl”, the boys in the class start whispering to each other. You just continued pulling out your class materials from your backpack on the floor, not even looking up when said new students walked into the classroom.

“Damnit, where’s my notebook and pen?” You dug deeper into your backpack to look for said items and pouted when you could find neither.

“Hello, my name is Daehyun. I’m from Canada.” Your head shoots up at the voice.

You spot three figures at the front of the class and you can’t believe your eyes when you register who they are. You rub your eyes furiously. Maybe you’re just seeing and hearing things.

“I’m Youngjae, also from Canada. Please take care of us.” You must be dreaming. Maybe Kai hadn’t really bothered you this morning and you’re still in bed having a strange dream. Or maybe you’re just going crazy.

“I’m Hana and I’m also from Canada.” Nope, you’re not going crazy. Jung Daehyun, Yoo Youngjae, and Park Hana are standing in front of you. Here. In Korea. You gulp. 


Hi friends! I'm back. Sorry the wait was so friggen long. Anyways, things are finally getting better. The story's plot is moving forward into the fun parts! So I hope you enjoyed this chapter and the next chapter will be up sometime soon.

Comment, Subscribe, and Upvote!

I love you all, beautiful people <3