Only One

In Depth: The Lyricist

 

Only One: B1a4

 

“Are you cutting classes again?” It was a sunny day. More than so, the sun gladly lit up the whole world pairing up well with the calming blue skies. The birds chirped a happy tune and Minji was nothing different with them as she propped her feet up against the tall walls of their campus planning to go on with her routine for the past few days. She smiled, almost nearing the top of the dreaded obstacle to her freedom before she heard a voice.

 

“Are you cutting classes again?” Inquired the lean figure who made himself known after appearing behind the tree. Repeating his question earlier, he dusted off himself after fixing his tie in the process. Before staring at the girl who was now seated on top of the brick wall. “Over here!” He wave his arms a little for the girl to see and when she finally saw him, she blinked, a smirk finding it’s way on her lips.

 

“Why do you care?” Minji responded, answering his question with another question. The guy rolled his eyes on her retort and without any notice, he started climbing on the wall too. Within a minute’s time, the guy had reach the top of the wall with ease unlike Minji who took longer than he did. He sat beside her, surprising her by suddenly kissing her cheek.

 

Minji grew hot with the contact and she felt her heart beat increase by heaps and bounds. “What was that for?” She glared at the said guy before smacking him lightly in the shoulder. “Pssh, am I not allowed to kiss my best friend? I remember when we were kids, you’d always be the one to initiate skinship.” The guy stated playfully to which the girl just rolled her eyes in return.

 

“I’m going.” She stated before climbing off the other side of the wall. Panicking, the male followed after her. As he reached the ground first, he took the initiative to help her and when she was almost near, he grabbed onto her waist lifting her and setting her onto the ground before she could even protest. “Chunji, you’re cutting classes with me?” Minji stared at the boy in confusion before he nodded his head. She laughed.

 

“Are you sure, Mrs. Lee Byung Hun won’t go ballistic when she sees her favorite student gone?” Minji mocked Chunji to which he responded with a casual shrug. “I really don’t care. Besides, I’m always ahead of the class so I really have nothing to worry about.” He placed his hands inside his pocket before he started walking. Minji reached up to him and started walking in the same pace as his.

 

“Hmmft.” She scoffed. “What a way to say you’re the best student. Couldn’t be more proud, huh.” Minji stated. The guy laughed, sticking his tongue out at Minji. “You’re just jealous.” He raised his head a little. “’Cause until now, you’re still second to me. Can’t believe you can’t beat me, right?” he answered back and the girl smacked him in the head for his words. “Boastful.” She muttered.

 

“So, where are we going little rebel?” Chunji questioned Minji as they continued to stroll with no definite destination. “I don’t know.” Was the answer that came and Chunji chuckled a bit. “What’s so funny?” Minji asked, the sound of her voice as if she despised his laugh. “Nothing, it's just that you’ve been cutting classes these past three days yet you don’t even have somewhere to go.”

 

“Whatever.” The girl dismissed before she stared at him. “Wait, how did you know that I’ve been cutting classes?” Minji asked him suddenly puzzled with his knowledge.

 

“It’s really hard not to miss you climbing up the wall when I can literally hear your shoes against the bricks which ends up disturbing my sleep.” Chunji responded.

 

“Sleep?” Minji repeated, confused.

 

“Yeah, I’ve been sleeping under the huge tree beside the wall you always climb. I was actually surprise you haven’t notice me all this time or are you just blind?” Chunji told Minji which caused he girl to frown at his statement again. She shot him a threatening look and he cringed, waiting for a hard blow before he felt himself being pulled.

 

“Nevermind. Just rent this bike will you? I have an idea where to go now.” Minji said and Chunji took out his wallet, smiling gently as he took possession of the bike. “Do I get to drive?” Chunji asked Minji to which she nodded. “Of course, I don’t want to tire myself out. Let’s go.” Minji ordered and they took off heading towards the outskirts of Seoul.

 

“Where to go?” Chunji prodded while the girl s her arms on his waist tightly. “The cliff.” The girl answered, enjoying the feeling of the wind sweeping through her body as Chunji pedaled. “What cliff?” Chunji stated perplexed before realization dawned on him. “Oh, the cliff.” He mumbled before a smile was plastered on his face. He started to pedal faster, accommodating the feeling of having the cool wind passed through his body.

 

The whole ride towards their destination was quiet, it was really not the type of awful or awkward silence but the calm one. Feeling Minji’s head rest against his back, it was her even breathing that send a ticklish sensation on Chunji’s neck and acted as music to his ears. He continued to pedal, all his worries washed away even though it was just for awhile.

 

“We’re here.” Chunji stated, parking the bike against the steep road. Minji then stood up leading their way towards the place that had been a familiar escape destination for the both of them. Following behind her, Chunji took in the wonderful sight in front of him as they arrive at the huge, old tree filled with memories. The sound of the wind gushing and the waves of the water colliding against the undeniably hard rocks made Chunji breathe in comfort. It was still the same.

 

“Minji, I though you forgot about this place already. It’s been three years since we’ve been here.” Chunji said before sitting beside Minji under the shade of the tree. “Together. I just went here yesterday.” Minji corrected Chunji making him snap his gaze towards her. Her facial expression showed nothing but a hint of sadness and it was that time that Chunji noticed that something was off.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Chunji worriedly asked, turning the girl to his side making her look at him. “Nothing.” Minji tried to deny but Chunji won’t obviously buy it. “Liar, there is something wrong. What is it? Tell me, you know, I’m not your best friend for nothing.” Chunji continued to asked and the girl tried to look away from him.

 

Mustering up her strength, Minji tried conjuring up a coherent sentence but much to her expectation she failed. “Um.” Was the only word that could come out from , if you could even consider ‘um’ as a word. Chunji waited for her to part her lips once more but it’s taking longer than it should.

 

“Come on Minji, tell me.” He tried to interrogate. Minji looked him into the eyes as if feeling sorry before she tried to change the topic. “Do you want to try cliff diving?” She asked out of the blue making Chunji doubtingly look at her. “Minji, you still haven’t answered my question.” He responded.

 

“I’ll answer it later. Just trust me with this first, will you?” She told him which doubled Chunji’s doubt towards her. Minji was the type of person to hate extreme activities but now she was even suggesting cliff diving? Sure enough, there was something wrong with Minji’s mind right now. But then who was he to deny her request?

 

Begrudgingly, Chunji stood up from his place following Minji towards the edge of the cliff where the vast, blue sea waited below them. Slowly, Minji took off her uniform’s blazer and so did Chunji. “I’m going first.” She announced and Chunji spared her a glance before he saw her jump off. He felt his heart stop in that particular moment as he watch her body fall gracefully before he woke up from his trance, alarmed that she has not surface yet after a minute or so.

 

With panic over coming him, Chunji jumped off the cliff next and felt his body collided with the water, the depth slowly making him sink. Remembering his goal, Chunji started swimming against the strong clash of waves against his lean figure and within a span of a few minutes, he was able to grab the wrist of Minji who was, by now floating like a lifeless person.

 

Immediately, he rushed towards the damp ground, his feet all numb against the thousand bits of sand. Gently, he laid her body and started pumping the water out of her body. “Minji, wake up.” He was shaking with fear. “Please, wake up.” He continued before the girl finally started choking, water coming out from .

 

“WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH YOU?!” Chunji screamed, anger and frustration boiling up inside him. He hugged her, feeling the need to give her warmth while tears slowly made its way out of his eyes. “Sorry. I’m really sorry.” Minji mumbled against his chest, guilty that she was able to make him cry. He release her out of his grasp and held her face in between his hands. “Now tell me. Why did you do that and what is your problem?” He asked. At first, Minji was still reluctant before she spoke softly.

 

“I’m going blind.” She mumbled. After hearing the words slipped out from , Chunji lose his hold on her. He was suddenly feeling dizzy. “Are you trying to trick me?” The words found it’s way out of his tongue without him even realizing. Chunji waited for the girl to acknowledge his words and admit that she was indeed just making fun of him but unfortunately she was not.

 

“As much as I wish that I was just joking, I’m afraid that we’re living in reality Chunji which means what I just said was the truth.” Minji started crying. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know how to break it to you because I’m afraid you’d stay away from me, after all no one wants a disabled friend right?” She chuckled, feeling sorry for herself and just when she thought that Chunji was about to run away from her. Minji felt herself engulfed in a bone-crashing hug.

 

“I love you.” Chunji spoke softly. “And no matter what I’ll stay by your side. Don’t worry we’ll find you a suitable eye donor and everything will be fine.” He caress her face before planting a soft kiss on her forehead. He her hair gently, both of them still crying. “But Chunji, it’s easier said than done.” She protest.

 

“That’s why I’m here to stay by your side. And promise me that you’ll also do the same, ok?”  He told her and she nodded. “Thank you Chunji.” Minji muttered. “And I love you too.” She told him, her heart exploding with happiness. They stayed like that, with Chunji holding her tightly as she stayed captive within his comforting arms. “In my embrace there’s nothing to fear. I will keep you safe in my arms, forever and ever.” Chunji cooed, a gentle smile on his lips.

 

----------------------------

I've updated! Lol, by the way, I've changed the story's title. It's really final this time since I think the title suits more because I use the stories to somehow depict the songs meanings. =) Feel free to comment and subscribe.