Still By Your Side

In Depth: The Lyricist

 

Still By Your Side: DMTN

 

She stumbled. She yelp. Her knees wounded. Why was she fading away? Why was she dissipating? Why does it hurt? “Nayeon.” Kyuhyun tried to reach out, his breathing uneven while he continued chasing her. “Kajima. Nayeon, kajima.” He repeated, his voice laced with frustration and disappointment. He had failed her once again. Everything. Everything from the start was nothing but a huge ball of hurtful lies.

 

“Ani. Andwae. Nappeun. Cho Kyuhyun. Nappeun.” The words resonated in his mind, as he continued to blame himself. His long legs moving by itself once again. “Don’t.” He breathe. “Give.” He ran. “Don’t give her up Cho Kyuhyun.” He mumbled to himself, following the voice in his head. He pushed past others, a faint amount of hope planted in his heart.

 

He knew he had to make it in time. He knew he had to reach her because he didn’t want to lose her. He was the most stupid man alive if he could clearly remember, trashing around and not paying attention to her at all, who was this Cho Kyuhyun? Was it even the Cho Kyuhyun she fell inlove with?

 

“Nayeon!” He shouted with all his might. The students in the hallway stared at him in shock but the girl he was chasing didn’t even give him a single glance. What now? He was losing alright.

 

“Ani. Kajima. Kajima.” It was hurting so much. He climbed up, holding on to the stairs’ railing for support. Slowly the sounds of the foot steps became more louder. “Nayeon.” Kyuhyun murmured one last time before sprinting, using his long legs to reach his destination. Longingly, he grabbed her by her arms and her body collided against his. “Nayeon.” He said as he tried to ease his breathing. Kyuhyun closed his eyes, possessively wrapping his arms around Nayeon.

 

“What are you doing Kyuhyun?” She asked, disappointment and confusion obvious in her voice. She struggled and fought against his hold clearly showing him how she disliked his presence at that exact moment. “Don’t move. Please, just listen to me.” Kyuhyun pleaded leaning against her head as he smelled the familiar raspberry scent from her hair which never failed to give him comfort. “There’s nothing more to listen to Kyuhyun.” She snarled, her voice only softening a bit at the end.

 

With the kind of response she gave him, Kyuhyun felt the nagging feeling in his heart once again. Why did he even chase her, isn’t this something he wanted from the start? Instead of celebrating, why did he suddenly feel that he was in for the kind of heartache he never wanted? “Let me go. Just let me go.” The girl demanded, putting her best effort to detach herself from him but he never made a single move to accommodate her request. And like always, he was the stubborn and persistent Cho Kyuhyun.

 

FLASHBACK (Nayeon's POV)

 

It was the same as any day. We were walking once again, hand in hand as if there was really nothing wrong. He smiled, the usual glow in his eyes lighting every corner and he turned to look at me, the emptiness obvious as he stared. “Smile, everyone’s looking.” He ordered me making me gulp in uncertainty.

 

The path was ending, we turned into a corner and our gazes once again locked. “Meet me at the canteen later. Take care, you don’t look well.” He said. “I love you.” The words slipped off his tongue like a sentence said far too many times that it already sounded more like a prayer to me than a sweet noting. The other students however cooed at the scene and squealed more in delight when Kyuhyun hugged me before giving a soft peck into my forehead and entering the classroom.

 

“Aww, such a prefect couple. Nayeon the goddess and Kyuhyun the king.” “I know right, they so fit each other. But I wonder if Nayeon really has a bad attitude, I heard she was choosy and all.” Catching the sentences of the two girls who passed by behind me, I hung my head low before entering the classroom. Some murderous glares were sent towards my way again while I could hear the laugh of Kyuhyun and his friends on the other side of the room.

 

He sent a smile towards my way, a forced one as far as I noticed and his attention turned back to his set of friends once more. That moment, the surge of pain intensified. It was confusing, the way he always left me hanging and alone. Where was the Cho Kyuhyun I had fallen inlove with anyway? Why did it suddenly feel that everything wasn’t real anymore, that as if with one snap of a finger everything will vanish like it was planned to since the start?

 

“I’m sure he’d be better off without her, No matter how popular she is now, she was once a nobody after all. A freak no one would even want to associate themselves with.” The girl commented as I walk towards my seat. I bit my bottom lip, afraid that I might end up looking pathetic. Gossips spread, different rumors at different days. But one thing didn’t change though and that is the fact that he no longer cared. No matter how many insults were thrown towards my way, he would still be Cho Kyuhyun, my boyfriend who’s heart wasn’t owned by me anymore.

 

I raised my head a little, fixing my sight towards Kyuhyun and his group of friends who stood by him no matter what because he was and has everything one could ever dream of. Fame, richness, name it and he has it. But happiness, I wonder if he ever was happy with me beside him. I continued to gaze at him, memorizing how he looked like as the radiant rays of the sun reflected against the classroom’s windows and flickered on his chocolate brown hair. The way his lips would tilt into an upward direction and how that dark colored orbs of his glittered against the light.

 

Thinking for a few more minutes, I gave out a half-hearted chuckle before I walked towards him. Strides after strides, I felt myself nearing to my heart’s burial site. I guess it sounded funny, but in all honesty my heart has been long dead and buried. There was nothing more to lose, Cho Kyuhyun had long lead me to my death when I lose his real affection. Nodding towards his friends, I sent them a small smile before whispering to Kyuhyun. “Let’s finish this act. You don’t love me anymore, right?” I laughed softly forcing myself not to cry.

 

“Your free Cho Kyuhyun cause we’re over.” And before I knew it, I was already outside the classroom to avoid any more drama. Until I saw the door opened and came out Kyuhyun, his expression unreadable as he stared at me. Backing away, I felt myself stagger in a few steps before I started running.

 

Away. That was the only word that echoed in mind not minding how I stumbled or had my knees bruised, I ran. I ran endlessly only to have Kyuhyun chased me back into his arms.

 

------------------------------

 

“Were over Kyuhyun. You don’t love me anymore, that fact is as clear as day light for me. So please, let me go.” Nayeon begged Kyuhyun. She stared at him, her heart as confused as his. How come they’ve reached this? What happened to happily ever after? “It disappeared.” Kyuhyun suddenly spoke, giving out a sarcastic chuckle. “Finally. You finally noticed. I’ve always been waiting for this, I just didn’t know it would hurt so much.” Puzzled, Nayeon listened carefully to every word that Kyuhyun said.

 

“I know I didn’t deserve you at first. But I didn’t want to let you go. I didn’t want to lose you. So I did my best yet I always failed you. So I thought it was better that you’re the one who lets go of me instead and now it finally happened. Stupid of me, right? But I love you Nayeon, I love you so much I know you’ll find someone better than me.” As he let it all out, Nayeon was left speechless. He gazed at her, wiping a stray tear that came out from her eyes. Then out of nowhere, he planted a chaste kiss on her lips before hugging her tight once more. “You’re free Nayeon. Go and find someone who’s better than me.” Kyuhyun whispered before reluctantly letting her go. For one last time, he smelled her scent which he grew to love. *I’ll miss you Nayeon.* He thought to himself, turning away.

 

“Saranghae Cho Kyuhyun. Gomawo.” Nayeon said before slumping down and crying her heart out.