The Reason

In Depth: The Lyricist

 

The Reason: SHINEE

 

“You know what love is? Love is you.” The boy stated. A chuckle escaping his soft, pinkish lips. He then stared at the girl who in turn was not the least humored by what he said. Her gaze steadied towards the blue sea that had streaks of the sun light reflecting on it. Another day has come, what more? What will happen? That, both of them didn’t know.

 

“Smile for me. Please smile. Smile.” He murmured, crossing his fingers as he stared at the girl. She was still immobile, her brown locks occasionally moving with the breeze of the wind. The tears, it was once again falling. Not that it was a new sight to see but the boy hadn’t garner much answers as to why she was still stuck in the past. Maybe she loved him just too much. Too much she can’t let go.

 

“Jung Daehyun-sshi, why are you still here?” Finally parting her lips, the girl’s voice earned the boy’s attention. *Because, I don’t know what will happen if I leave you* He thought but smiled nevertheless. “It would be boring at home, you know. Why don’t you want me here?” The lad asked jokingly, making sure that he would grin in order to make his act more commendable. But she didn’t respond though and instead, she only hugged her knees closer and allowed her sight to wander again.

 

Meanwhile, Daehyun grabbed the jacket he had been carrying earlier and placed it on her shoulder so that the wind’s breeze wouldn’t make her feel that cold. “Don’t bother.” He heard her say when he had placed the jacket. She heave a sigh and her cheeks was turning into a slight tinge of pink but she didn’t mind it all. “Honestly, I’m thankful with you being here Daehyun-sshi but you can leave. I wouldn’t stop you from doing so. You already strolled with me, that’s good enough.” Her voice was slightly raspy due to crying but her composure never broke. As if she was aware of every movement she made, she stayed still watching as the sun slowly set.

 

“Hey.” Daehyun said tapping her shoulders a bit. Yet the female didn’t spare him a single glance, she was once again lost. Lost in her own thoughts, lost in the past where her own world seemed to only rotate. He then heard her sniffle, her sobs increasing by each minute passing by. Slowly his arms wrapped around her, allowing her to rely on him when she was almost shattering…again. “Please don’t.” She managed to say in between her muffled cries but Daehyun’s gripped just tightened. “Why are you always like this? Let it out. Just for once, let me ease your pain. I wouldn’t judge, cry infront of me if you want.” And the girl left it like that. Her defense went down and it was as if she was another person all in all.

 

“Pabo. Junhong. Pabo.” She cried. Mourning endlessly, her tears shedding on to Daehyun’s shirt. “Why’d you leave me? Why did you let me go on this world without you? How am I supposed to leave alone. Choi Junhong,,pabo.” The girl continuously relished the memories in her mind. How come this world was so unfair? Why? Why are promises broken without any assurance to what might happen? As much as the world seem merciless to Jaewon, she didn’t expect somethings to turn out the way it did.

 

The independent girl who always was confident of taking this world on her own, now turned into someone who seemed so lonely and vulnerable. “It’s okay, everything will turn out fine.” Cooed Daehyun who was trying his hardest not to shed a tear either. Just seeing her in this kind of misery was already enough to make him go out of his mind. But that was nothing compared to the fact that he knew the mere cause of these tears was no other than his bestfriend Junhong who died in a car crash four months ago. Of course, blaming his best friend wouldn’t really be an ideal thing to do now, it was not his fault to begin with for an accident will always be an accident. It was destined to say the least. Yet seeing Jaewon tear up like this, he would rather see both Junhong and Jaewon conversing in their usual lovey-dovey manner though he would be jealous to death. No matter what, it was always a better sight to see instead of Jaewon crying for a lifeless man.

 

“Daehyun-sshi..” “Please, stop using formalities.” Daehyun cut in. Suddenly reminding himself how great of  a failure he was when he confessed how he like her just a week ago. This then created the awkward atmosphere and she hadn’t been really open to him since then. It was killing him inside to be honest. The more the days went by without her being her usual self, the longer a day seemed to last.

 

“Junhong, you still love him don’t you.” Daehyun stated rather than asked making Jaewon still in her spot. His deep voice sounded so serious as he rested his chin on top of her head. “I still do. So much.” The girl in his arms croaked and once again her tears flowed endlessly. Her defenseless self becoming superior as she felt pity and shame for her actions. Jaewon held on to Daehyun’s shirt tightly, clenching her fist as she repeatedly hit his chest in a soft manner.

 

“That stupid best friend of yours, he left me.” She nibbled on her bottom lips. “Did he get tired because I always nag him? Was I not good enough? Maybe he didn’t want me anymore. Maybe it’s my fault he died.” She blamed herself once again making Daehyun pull her closer. “Hush, Zelo loves you, ok? Stop thinking of those things Jaewon.” He whispered soothingly trying to calm her. But he knew that deep inside his own heart was breaking into pieces.

 

It’s suffocating, the pain was. Yet what can he do when the only reason he breathes was also the same cause of his lack of air. It was really complicated because her presence could make him so relax but the same time her unending love for his best friend torn him apart. What was he supposed to do?

 

Unknown to him, the drops he was preventing from falling slowly went down from his eyes. The sorrow was over taking him, what was happiness when the girl he loves was suffering? *Would you also be crying this much if I was the one that died instead?* Daehyun silently questioned in his mind, he held her tighter feeling the privilege to sooth her in her times of grief. “Just hold on a little more Jaewon, I’m sure you’ll be happy again.” He repeated and tried to convince her but all that came as a response was her endless cries of longing and pain.

 

“I never knew I’d hurt her this much. Mianhe Jaewon.” He mumbled. From a far his silhouette was something that would never be miss by Daehyun. The tall physique, the innocent eyes and the love and earnest wanting it held within. “Zelo.” Daehyun muttered softly, cautious that the girl in his arms would hear him. He stared at his best friend while Jaewon’s head was still leaning towards his chest such that she wasn’t able to see where Daehyun’s gaze was directed to.

 

Words couldn’t exactly described how surprised Daehyun was right at that moment. He continued to stare at Zelo while the latter started walking closer to where they are. He was wearing an all white ensemble, his blonde hair being blown in the wind in contrast of the yellow light the sun had casted while it slowly disappear. “Take care of her. And love her as much as you can, even more than I did if you’re able to.” Junhong whispered smiling comfortingly to Daehyun before disappearing like a dust of wind. The sun had set and the skies had dimmed, the stars and moon intricately placed on their positions as to illuminate the dark surroundings.

 

“I will. I promise you Junhong, I will.” Daehyun responded, a sad smile appearing on his face as he did so. Once again, he turned to look at the girl who was trapped in his arms. He tilted her face towards him, cupping her cheeks as he did so. She stared at him, surprised at the tears that was freely flowing from his eyes. And he stared back, noticing her eyes that was red and swollen from crying. “I will always be here Jaewon. The reason simply is because I love you.” He told her before planting a soft kiss on her temple. *And because the guy you love, my bestfriend trusted you to me. The most precious girl I’ve ever met.* He then shut his eyes and embraced her tighter than he did earlier.

 

“Lee Jaewon, it’s time to move on.” Daehyun whispered before relief washed over him as he felt the girl snuggle closer to him and cry once more.

 

---------------------------------------

The first story featuring Daehyun, Zelo and OC. Feel free to comment and subscribe. =)