Voicemail

In Depth: The Lyricist

 

Voicemail:BAP

 

It was the loud screeching of the car that made his body jolt in surprise. The usual slamming of the front door as the slim figured entered and the lights flickered on. He twirled the wine glass in his hand, filling it with a fair amount of red wine before sipping it in an a gentle but rushed manner. “You’re finally home.” His voice trembled. He stared at the slim figure who was walking towards him, her features illuminated with the sufficient amount of light coming from the chandelier.

 

She took a sit beside him in the couch, her bony hands grabbing the glass out of his reach. “You’re drunk again.” She muttered dropping her keys onto the coffee table situated beside them. Her hands reached up to touch his forehead, the high temperature being released as her hands came in contact with his skin. “And you even have fever.”  Shaking her head in disapproval, the girl left the guy on the couch to get a warm compress and some medicines to ease his sickness.

 

After a minute or so, she came in sight again with packets of medicine in her hands together with a warm compress and a glass of water on the other. Placing the materials on the table near the couch, she removed the coat she has been wearing the moment she entered the house. “Drink these medicines, I’m sure this would be enough to remove your hang over and lower down your temperature.” She instructed, kneeling down in front of him as she handed him the things she had gotten earlier. Pressing the warm compress on his forehead, she watched him as he swallowed the medicine.

 

“Jinri, where did you go?” He questioned calmly, his eyes shut as he waited for an answer. “Work?” Jinri quipped watching as he gripped onto the glass that he had just drunk from seconds ago. “Where did you go?” He repeated. Tone as steady as earlier.

 

To say that there was no malice behind his words would be an indefinite lie. Though the way he stated it was in the most usual way possible, Jinri knew better than to end up with conclusions. ‘Cause for the record, they’ve gone through this far too many times to even be sure of where his questions would lead to.

 

“I’ve gone to work Myungsoo.” She repeated to the man, her voice more defiant this time. He grew stiff in his position, the tensed air hanging in the atmosphere. Shaking, he clutched onto the glass he was holding and later broke it in the process.

 

“Damn.” He cursed under his breath. Then his eyes opened, blurry and foggy and misty. The girl’s arms dangled limply by her side as she held the warm compress into her hands while worriedly staring at him. His hand continuously bled but he didn’t mind it and instead he latched himself in the girl’s direction, hugging her tightly.

 

“You went to work.” Myungsoo said not caring how he smeared blood onto the girl’s shirt. “You went to work.” He spoke once more, convincing himself as he did. Just then, Jinri’s phone rang and she asked him to release her, discreetly standing as she did so.

 

“Yoboseyo?” She answered, standing a far good distance away from him. Myungsoo calmed down as she slowly walked away but his senses were in a different state though. His body moved on its own, willing to fight against the intentions of his mind. He went towards where Jinri was while reminding himself to hide behind a wall in order for him not to be noticed.

 

Now that the conversation was an earshot from where he was, the lone tears escaped drop by drop. “I love you.” He heard her say before he broke out of his sanity. Hearing him shout, Jinri was beyond startled that she managed to bump onto one of the vases near her making it collide with the floor in a loud crash.

 

“Myungsoo.” Air had left her, the moment she saw his eyes. It was dark and a glint of nothing but frustration and misery filled it before it eventually turned into nothingness. His orbs just became mundane and this was the type of look she was afraid to provoke the most.

 

“It’s not what you think.” She tried to explain. Not noticing that the call hasn’t ended yet, she placed her phone on her pocket and step by step, she went near him. “Myungsoo.” She called, grabbing his wrist as calm as she could.

 

He was gritting his teeth, nibbling on his bottom lips as he avoided her gaze. He was afraid, so afraid to face the fact that he was the dumb one. The pathetic and always pitiful Myungsoo.

 

“Let me go.” His words slipped out of his tongue with a venomous feel to it. “Myungsoo, listen to me.” The girl tried to insist, testing her luck as she slowly engulfed him into a hug. “No! NO! Let me go! GET AWAY FROM ME!” He screamed at her, making her wince.

 

It was evident that he was stronger as he was able to push her away from him. She flinched, seeing him glare at her and he gripped on her wrist. He gripped it so hard she thought she’d get her bones fractured. Then without any hesitation, she felt herself being slammed against the wall with her back hitting it like her body could crash the whole structure. She closed her eyes, the pain creeping onto her body. Surely, the hit would give her new bruises to tend to.

 

“I love you.” He mumbled, out of his mind. Harshly, he started kissing her and she sob. She sobbed so hard feeling violated by the said guy. Even though how much she pushed him away, he just angrily pinned her and she was defeated. Defeated in fear and pity.

 

Then out of nowhere, a hurling punch was sent towards Myungsoo’s way. A steadfast hit that made him stumble. And he laughed, he laughed like the crazy person he was becoming when he stared at the intruder.

 

Without another word, he staggered towards him and started beating him into a pulp. They send punches towards each other, their lips swollen, their knuckles wounded and blood trickling from both of their faces.

 

“What in the world is wrong with you Myungsoo?!” Exclaimed Woohyun as his fist landed on Myungsoo’s jaw. The latter gagged, spitting out blood as he did. “You’re really asking me that?!” He toppled him on the ground and grabbed a fistful of his shirt. “You’ve been cheating on me with my girlfriend! And you dare ask me that!” He exclaimed, punching as if his life depended on it.

 

“STOP! JUST STOP!” Jinri shouted, not being able to take the sight anymore. She tried to separate the two with the remaining strength she had before collapsing on the ground, crying. “Why did you suddenly come oppa?” She questioned, confused as ever. “You’ve forgot to turn off the phone and I heard everything. Why didn’t you tell me?! Why didn’t you tell me you were being treated this way here, I thought he loved you Jinri! “ Woohyun stated angrily making Myungsoo scoff.

 

“So I’m right. My accusations and assumptions were all right. You’ve been cheating on me, no wonder I didn’t have a good feeling when I met Woohyun a week ago.” Myungsoo spat. Totally displeased as the words rolled out from his tongue. “Since when did this start anyway? When you’ve became co-workers last month?” Myungsoo accused the both of them.

 

“AAAAHHH!” Jinri yelled, having enough of it. She stood facing Myungsoo, the bruise in her wrist visible. Slowly, she lifted a finger and started pointing towards him poking his chest as hard as she could. The girl kept on crying. The whole, huge house instantly being filled with inevitable amount of sadness.

 

“I didn’t cheat.” She said. “I didn’t cheat. I never would cheat. I didn’t cheat. I wouldn’t because I love you Myungsoo.” She spoke definitely hitting a part within Myungsoo. But he kept quiet with Woohyun glaring at him. “Woohyun. Woohyun is just my friend. I love you Myungsoo but you never believe me anymore. Am I that detestable to you?”

 

Oh no.

 

She was breaking.

 

“I’ve lost so much. I no longer have your trust. Myungsoo, I didn’t cheat. No matter how much pain you gave me, no matter how much you’ve doubted me, I wouldn’t dare cheat.” There was something off. Everything she was saying was contradicting her actions. What were the “I love you’s” for whenever she talked to Woohyun?

 

“Come on Jinri we’re leaving here.” Woohyun spoke as she pulled the trembling Jinri away from Woohyun. “And for the record Myungsoo. Jinri’s my long lost sister. The DNA test was released today. No wonder she didn’t told you anything, seems like you were too narrow minded to even listen to her.” And with one last glance, Jinri looked at Myungsoo who’s face turned pale.

 

The distance felt so obnoxiously painful. He heard her go farther away but he didn’t do anything to stop her. “I can live without her.” He lied. Profanities ringing out the whole place as he grabbed everything near him and smashed it.

 

His tears were endless as the heartache was and goodbye was like this. He heard his telephone ringing, the sound of the automated machine making him feel more irritated.

 

Until he heard the voice. It was almost inaudible, the voicemail was. But the words that were uttered were clearly understood by him. And he recognized that it was indeed Jinri speaking. Saying the three syllable sentence that was all too familiar together with the two syllable word that left him in complete anguish. “I love you.” Her voice cracked indicating she was still crying. “But I have to say goodbye.” And just like that, denial was his only way to move on.

 

More so, the brokenness would never be fixed. So he screamed at the top of his lungs, voice raw from crying. He was now alone.

 

-------------------------------------------

 

Hello my dear readers! Here is a new one-shot! Honestly, I found it hard to depict this but I hope you enjoyed the story. Feel free to comment and subscribe! =)