Paradise

In Depth: The Lyricist

 

Paradise: INFINITE

 

The glass filled with water fell on the floor the second time that day. It’s once collected form, shattering into pieces as it collided with the cold and marble ground. Silence ensued the moment the crash had ended. And he stared at her, offering her an apologetic gaze as always. “It’s okay Luhan, I got it.” She responded, fully aware that it would take the boy more than five minutes just to mutter a simple sorry.

 

She crouched down, carefully picking the shards of glass when one of the broken pieces suddenly cut her palm. Wincing in pain, she stood up to dab a piece of cloth on her wound to prevent more blood from coming out. “M..m.mmi..an..n.he Se..oh..hyun.” Luhan said putting all his effort just so that his mouth would open and produce even just two words that would show Seohyun how sorry he is right now. She stared towards him, a smile appearing on her face as she continued cleaning the parts of the glass that fell earlier.

 

Gazing at the girl’s figure, Luhan tightened his grip on the pillow beside him. His eyelids feeling heavy all of a sudden as he felt tears forming in his eyes. “Oh wait, someone’s knocking.” Seohyun stated before standing up and grabbing the dust pan where she had place the glass shards she had picked. Disappearing into the house’s front door, Luhan was left in his room for a minute or two before Seohyun entered once again together with Jongin.

 

“Annyeong!” The man stated, a chic smile taking over his plump lips. He sauntered over towards his best friend, who’s body was lying limp on the bed. “How are you hyung, I haven’t visited you for sometime. Are you doing fine?” Questioned Jongin grabbing the older male’s hand and taking it on his own. Luhan nodded his head a bit, feeling warmth from his best friend’s concern. “Me. Fine.” He managed to answer before the right side of his lips curled into a gentle smile.

 

“How long has it been?” Jongin started reminiscing. “Ah, remember the early days hyung? We used to tease Sehun a lot about being alone forever, who knew he’d be the first one to marry among the three of us?” Laughing a little, he stopped in the middle of his sentence to look at Luhan who’s gaze was calm as always. “He invited me in his wedding, saying that it was better if you were there too. And I just smiled at him. He also wanted to extend his regards to you hyung.”

 

He sighed. “Hyung, he was still sorry about the incident. He’s still blaming himself on why you slipped and got paralyzed.” The latter finished, grimacing as he did.

 

“No.” Luhan muttered instantly. Even though half of his body was opposing his movements, he did his best to voice his disapproval of Jongin’s words. While the left side of his body was motionless, he worked hard to move his fingers on his right hand. “See. I’m ok.” He stated, exhaling. “I can move. Not Sehun’s fault.” He continued remembering how he fell from the stairs two years ago. There was really no one at fault. The fact that he fell off the stairs was an accident as they were rushing to go to the practice room with Sehun before. And if there was someone to be thankful to, it should even be Sehun as he was the one who even help him.

 

He was just unlucky, that’s all. Entering a state of coma for a month and waking up with half of his body in a paralyzed state, it’s just fate he thought. “Blame no one. I’m fine.” Luhan told Jongin before the other male released his hold on Luhan’s left hand. With pity in his eyes, Luhan’s sight landed on Seohyun who came back in the room after getting a plate of biscuits and juice for their visitor.

 

“So Kai” “Call me Jongin.” The other interrupted which cause the girl to chuckle. “Ok fine ‘JONGIN’ what brings you here?” Seohyun questioned which earned her a shrug in response. “Nothing much, just wanted to visit Luhan hyung. Ow, what happened with your hand noona?” Jongin asked suddenly worried after seeing the girl’s wounded palm.

 

“An accident. I was just picking the glass pieces that broke earlier but I’m fine now. This is far from putting me in a death bed, if ever you wonder.” She answered jokingly and guilt took over Luhan’s expression as he listened to the girl speak. “Eh noona, that was lame. But take care of yourself ok? You don’t want hyung being worried about you, right?” Jongin said as he glanced at his watch. “Anyway, I have to go now. Hyung, noona take care and thanks for the biscuits and juice!” He cheerfully exclaimed before gulping his drink down and taking the remaining pieces of biscuit on the plate.

 

Rushing, he went out of the door leaving a daze Seohyun and a smiling Luhan. “Wow, I never thought we’d have such a visitor today.” Seohyun commented before making way towards the chair that Kai occupied earlier. Moving the strands of hair away from Luhan’s face, she looked at him lovingly and spoke. “Aigoo, your hair’s growing longer. Should we cut it soon Lulu?” She asked him before she felt his right hand tugging on her wrist.

 

“Yes, what is it?” Puzzled with what Luhan was doing, her attention grew more focused as she saw how he was trying to move his lips. “Leave.” He ordered. Seohyun pouted slightly and feigned anger. “Yah! I’m your girlfriend and I’m sooo loyal to be taking care of you, that’s so unfair to be throwing me out Luhan!” Thinking it was his usual mood swings, she ended her sentence and chuckled a bit. But he remained serious, the tranquil expression was no longer there and instead it was only misery that his eyes showed.

 

“Pleading you. Just go.” He told her once more yet she fought making Luhan’s grip on her wrist loose. She placed both of her hands on the sides of his cheeks, squeezing it a little. “If we’re going to talk about you being a burden to me again, stop it Luhan it’s not worth the time. We love each other, I know that and it’s my decision to be here. So please stop all the nonsense, ok? I’ll be back, I’ll just check if Kai closed the door properly.” She stood up, avoiding the conversation as she turned her back away.

 

Luhan shut his eyes, condemning his own self for bringing her so much hardships. Those words she let out, those words were something she always said that it no longer convinced him. He breathe, the bright amount of light coming from the sun illuminated his room as his bed was near the window. Earnestly, he tried to look for a solution until his sight landed on the broken piece of glass that has been left unnoticed when Seohyun was cleaning earlier. Moving, he fought against the numbness on the other side of his body and landed on the floor with a thud.

 

“Ouch.” He groaned in pain but not more than after a minute did he made a move when he heard the resounding foot steps leading towards his room. He move his right arm, grabbing the splint of glass. The door burst open, a stunned Seohyun standing there and before she can even react or run towards him, he already allowed the thin, sharp piece of glass to come in contact with his wrist.

 

“LUHAN!” Seohyun screamed rushing to his side immediately. Panic was evident in her every move as she held into him with her hands shaking.

 

I tried to be better. I tried to live and endure because I can’t see you walk away.

 

“Luhan..” She cried, her hold tightening. He smiled, the calmness invading his face.

 

But I knew it had to stop one day.

 

“Just hold on. I’ll call Jongin..please.” She tried once more.

 

I held my breath, afraid you might break though you’re here in a paradise.

 

“Don’t cry.” He muttered before he released his last breathe. The deafening silence consumed the place and Seohyun’s eyes widened in realization.

 

This is a sad paradise where I had retained you against your will. Not letting you escape.

 

Hugging the lifeless body, the sun’s light shone against the two figure. And as the boy’s eyes closed, his cold self turning into a corpse there was a tendril of tear that had escaped his eyes.

 

But now you’ll someday reach the paradise where we can both be together.

 

------------------------------------

A new one shot featuring Luhan, Kai, Seohyun and Infinite's song Paradise. =)