You Deserve Better

In Depth: The Lyricist

 

You Deserve Better: Verbal Jint (feat. Sanchez)

 

“Sunmi!” The call ended with the phone falling loudly on the floor. Running out of his apartment, Taemin took his keys and put on his jacket as the luminous sky was tearing up again.

 

Lightning mixed with rain, what a beautiful sight to see.

 

Starting his car’s engine, Taemin stepped on the car’s pedal with no further hesitation while he drove his way to Sunmi’s house. He was sweating bullets in fear and his hands were shaking in nervousness. Millions of thoughts filled his mind, different scenarios but all with the same ending. And just seeing Sunmi’s lifeless body flash in his mind, his face drained of color as he continued to breathe heavily.

 

“Hurry. Hurry Lee Taemin.” He chanted continuously to himself while he accelerated his car and cross the speeding limit. He bit his lip in attempt to calm down yet his exertion of too much force cause blood to come out of it instead. Taking a turn, he recklessly drove that he almost bump onto one of the posts on the street but his mind was in a mess and his safety was the last thing he could think of right now. He just wanted to save Sunmi, to save the girl he loves.

 

Reaching the place in record time, Taemin went out of his car and immediately rushed towards Sunmi’s home. Drenched from head to toe, he continued running as the rain endlessly wet him and drizzled it’s coldness against his lone figure. He was gasping for air, he was tired, he was turning mad but he went on, he was stubborn like this.

 

“Sunmi!” He shouted her name, the moment he had open the door to her house. Welcoming himself inside, he started searching the place as darkness took over it. The lights were broken and it was only the occasional strike of thunder that helped him to find his way in the midst of the plain black atmosphere he was in. “Sunmi, answer me. Where are you?” Taemin spoke, grabbing his hair in frustration.

 

Then out of nowhere, a scream resounded against the four corners of the dreary place. There was a glint of light that caught Taemin’s attention as his eyes landed on direction of the kitchen and he went towards it, his pace as fast as his feet allowed him to. Yet in sudden surprise, his steps were put on a stop. His body froze, unmoving and his eyes wide in disbelief.

 

“Taemin.” She said his name, her own self slowly losing consciousness. Her face was bruised badly and her arms were wounded. Her hair was disheveled and a part of her shirt was tore while she stood weakly, her body against the man’s chest.

 

“What are you doing here?” The person made himself known as he spoke. And Taemin’s gaze landed on him, his eyes full on anger and disappointment. “What did you do to her?” Taemin questioned back as he gritted his teeth, his hands forming into a fist as his nails dug deep onto his palm.

 

“Shouldn’t you be answering my question first?” The man answered, a smirk painting his lips. Taemin fidgeted on his place fighting with the inner devil in him. He breathe in and out yet the moment he looked back at Sunmi, all hell broke loose. “WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?!” He snarled towards the said man. He walked going near him with a menacing look in his eyes.

 

In the other hand, the man scoffed at Taemin and spoke. “Such guts you have there, did you forget your place Taemin? You’re just her bestfriend and I’m her boyfriend.” He reminded before he let go of the girl allowing her body to collide with the ground. Totally angered by what happened and with every word said, Taemin landed a punch on the man’s face without retreating.

 

“Did you just say you’re her boyfriend?” Taemin stated as he pinned the man below him. “ BOYFRIEND? YOU’RE SAYING YOU’RE HER BOYFRIEND?! LOOK AT WHAT YOU’VE DONE TO HER JONGHYUN AND TELL ME YOU’RE HER BOYFRIEND!” Taemin shouted as he constantly hit Jonghyun with his fist, not minding how much pain he brought to the latter.

 

“Your acting so much, how dare you do this to me you bastard!” Screamed Jonghyun suddenly exchanging their positions with Taemin. He then grabbed one of the knives that was scattered and was about to stab Taemin when he felt himself being kicked in the stomach. Standing up immediately, Taemin pulled Jonghyun by the arms and hit his head onto the kitchen counter making Jonghyun faint.

 

Without letting another second pass by, Taemin ran towards Sunmi’s body and carried her in his arms. He rushed, protecting her body against the rain as he ran out of the house while he held her, bridal style. “Sunmi, we’re going to the hospital. Please, just hold on. We’ll make it.” He softly whispered to the girl while he shivered due to the cold breeze.

 

Carefully, he placed her inside his car and fixed her seatbelt. He then sat on the driver’s seat and placed his key, driving once again with less recklessness this time as Sunmi was with him. He gulped the forming lump in his throat fighting the tears welling in his eyes. Right now, he has to stay strong for he was the only one whom she could lean on to.

 

“Taemin.” Surprised with her voice, Taemin found Sunmi’s hand on his. She stared at him, looking all weak and lost. “We’re going to the hospital. We’re gonna get your wounds cured. Damn, I should have made a move before, you know? It shouldn’t have reached this far.” Blabbering in panic, Taemin was trying hard not to look back at Sunmi in fear of breaking down.

 

But her melodious chuckle was what Taemin heard in response like there was nothing wrong, as if she wasn’t just hurt. As if it was all normal. “Let’s just go to the beach, Taemin.” “But” “Let’s just go. I’m fine. Please Taemin.” Her voice was soft and was in the midst of cracking that Taemin didn’t have the heart to decline on her request. He stepped on his accelerator, making a u-turn as he paved his way towards the beach.

 

The night was still dim but so much happened and neither did the cascading rain stop. Finally reaching their destination, Taemin took off his jacket and placed it on Sunmi. He then carried her, agreeing with her to go to the beach even though the rain was taking it’s precious time to soak the both of them.

 

“Put me down.” Sunmi ordered and slowly, Taemin allowed her to feel her feet against the damp sand. She walked, taking steps while limping and he stood by her side, afraid that she might suddenly lose her strength. “Tell me, what exactly happened there Sunmi? I knew that he hurt you once but because you told me that he wouldn’t do again, I didn’t make a move.” Taemin started to question her. “But now, look at yourself. What would have happened if you didn’t call? Oh gosh.” Taemin shut his eyes as he imagined Sunmi laying in pools of blood. He then held his breath waiting for the girl to answer.

 

“Isn’t the rain comforting?” Her hand reached out as the drops of liquid fell on her palm. Meanwhile, Taemin stared at her confused on why she was diverting the topic on something else. “You know what, I think I’m lucky because I have you and the rain.” She gently smiled. “Because even if everyone leaves me, I will have you and the rain forever to make me happy.” She stated before glancing towards Taemin who was captured by her words.

 

He then held her, trapping Sunmi in between his arms. The sound of the waves hitting against the damp ground faded away in the background and the rhythm of their heartbeats were the only things that they heard. She closed her eyes, clasping on to the man’s shirt tightly. “ I loved him. I loved Jonghyun but he cheated on me. And I tried to fight him, to reason out with him but I guess I ended up being the candidate for a charity case.” Sunmi said before sniffing lightly as she leaned her head on Taemin’s chest.

 

“You’re pretty Sunmi.” Taemin told her, every word meant with sincerity. “And I’m not telling this because I’m your best friend but because I’m a man who can see more than what others can.” He tilted her face to look at him. And he smiled, not even preventing the tears from his eyes as it mixed with the rain. “Lift your head up Sunmi, you deserve better.” He stated before hugging her once again while the rain endlessly poured.

 

This was the type of love she wish, a love so pure and true.

 

--------------------------------

 

Yey! A new one shot  for you guys. °v° Feel free to comment and subscribe! <3