Pains

Home Is Wherever I'm With You

A/N:

I know Jiyong has this crazy, y side to him that we all love... but he's not always so needy and selfish. And in this snapshot you'll see the other side to Jiyong—the insecure and foolishly selfless side to him that sacrifices his own happiness, time and time again, for the sake of his husband's happiness.

I'm still not sure about this to be honest—and there's probably more than a few mistakes. But I'm far too tired to fix any now or to put it off any longer. So I'm taking the plunge. Please do let me know what you think. Your comments inspire me and encourage me and I can't explain how much everyone's support has meant to me <3

Let us go back to the day before the twins arrived...

 


 

It's six in the morning and Jiyong is startled awake by the sudden pressure building up deep down in his body. The need to relieve himself is a force strong enough to nearly have him tripping over his own feet as he stumbles out of bed. As carefully and quickly as he can, Jiyong waddles his way down the long path to the bathroom, hand resting over his bump as he thinks to himself, I'm not sure if I can take another week of carrying this bump around with me. Adding on as an afterthought that their baby must have inherited Seunghyun's stupid square face and that it must have grown an abnormally large head, and that's why this ridiculous sized bump is almost toppling him over to the floor. Jiyong shakes his head as he opens the bathroom door and sighs heavily.

 

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. Seunghyun's face isn't even that square.

He's all perfectly chiselled jaw line and sloping, elegant neck and strong brow.

He's stupidly beautiful and handsome at the same time and how is that even freaken possible.

 

With a protesting groan and a burning ache coursing its way all through his lower body, Jiyong eventually makes it into the bathroom and shuts the door behind him. He takes a moment to lean against the closed door, taking in slow breaths to ease away the aches and pains. For quite some time now, Jiyong has had to deal with the near constant dull ache in his lower back and hips as his body alters itself to accommodate the growing life inside him. Jiyong quite obviously being a male isn't exactly equipped with all the necessary strength and suppleness that a woman's body naturally forms. Because his pelvis has slowly but surely been angling itself into the right position to hold the weight of the baby and make enough room for him or her to grow healthily and steadily, Jiyong has to survive the constant twinges and pulls of pain every minute of every day until the baby arrives. And even then, who knows how long it will take for his body to make its change back to what it's supposed to be.

 

But it's all worth it. The pain, the cramps, the discomfort. Everything. He'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. The overwhelming happiness he feels with this miracle of a baby growing every day; it feels him with so much joy and love that it makes every second worth it. And then some.

 

Jiyong runs a hand through his messy bed hair and forces himself away from his wandering thoughts for a few moments before his bladder gives up on him and explodes. Shoving himself off the door, he begins to untie his pajama's drawstrings and drops them to the floor... when all of a sudden he feels a warmth trickle down the inside of his leg and for one terrifyingly embarrassing moment, Jiyong thinks he's just pissed himself. He stares down in horror as the liquid pools by his feet and he's frozen still.

 

Surely I haven't just made an embarrassment of myself... surely I haven't... oh no, wait. Wait, wait, wait... Wait!

 

His water just broke.

 

It's a week before his due date and his water has just broken.

 

*


After making a panicked phone call to his doctor, Jiyong cleans up the evidence and begins the mental debate with himself over whether or not he should inform Seunghyun. The doctor made it perfectly clear that they had no need to worry until his contractions started and so far, he's in the all clear. So now that just leaves the big question... Does he tell him? Or does he wait?

 

When Jiyong tiptoes back into their bedroom and approaches Seunghyun's side of the bed—even though the other man has rolled somewhere in the middle of their blankets, probably trying to find Jiyong's body warmth and seeking solace in the still warm sheets instead. He feels shy and nervous and suddenly unable to speak up or poke the older man awake. He's reminded of what it feels like to be that tiny, scared five year old boy who's just wet his bed after a particularly scary dream, standing at the side of his parent's bed, whispering Umma with no real intent of waking her up because the shame of telling her what he's done is too great to bear. Jiyong sighs, for what feels like the thousandth time already this morning and carefully lowers himself onto Seunghyun's empty side of the bed. He taps the man on his shoulder with a small whisper of, Hyunnie. But it's enough to stir the other man from his slumber. A head full of messy hair pokes out from the covers, one eye squinting up at him with the other glued shut because at this time of morning it's easier to see with one eye closed.

 

"S'matter Ji?" he slurs in that sleepy voice and it's completely adorable.

 

Jiyong bites his lip, suddenly afraid to tell Seunghyun what the doctor has said to him. There's no real need to worry him with this until they actually need to worry about the baby coming... right?

 

"M'cold," Jiyong pouts at him and bats his lashes, opening his arms out to the side inviting his perfectly handsome and adorably sleepy husband into his arms. To which Seunghyun instantly responds to and crawls across the empty space to nestle into Jiyong's open arms. He hums and places misaimed kisses all over his chest before burying his face in Jiyong's neck. Jiyong rests his face in Seunghyun's tangled mess of hair and breaths in his scent of lavender and sweet spices which always calms his nerves.

 

"Everything okay?"

 

"Yeah, just missed you is all."

 

"Well we don't have to leave to the station for another few hours so we have plenty of cuddle time. I can make you feel really warm in no time," Seunghyun says with a lazy smirk, a hand wandering over the baby bump and rubbing in smooth circles, inching dangerously lower and lower.

 

The station... oh. How could Jiyong forget? Today is when Seunghyun's parents are arriving in town and their son has promised them a lunch date with their son and his heavily pregnant husband. Well there's no way Jiyong can go... but should he tell Seunghyun about his water breaking and what the doctor said? Or is it not worth all the fuss? He knows how excited Seunghyun is to see his parents again and how much he's dying to gush over how amazing these past nine months have been and show off the nursery to his picky mother. Can he really dampen his husband's mood and create all this worry when he's been so perfect and caring and tended to his every need these past months... No. He can't. Seunghyun deserves this. Seunghyun needs this.

 

Jiyong realises a moment too late that he's been lying there completely motionless while his husband has been trying very sincerely to warm his body up quickly—paying careful attention to his chilled hips and thighs. Seunghyun sighs heavily and flops back up beside him, rolling on to his back.

 

"Sorry Tabi, I'm just not..."

 

"Hey, it's alright. Don't worry about it, sweetheart. Let's just cuddle hmm."

 

"Seunghyun, I..."

 

"What is it, Ji?"

 

"I... don't think I should come with you today."

 

"What?! Why not? Is everything alright?"

 

"Everything is fine. I'm just feeling really tired today. And sore."

 

"Oh, okay... should I call the doctor and tell him—"

 

"—No, that's fine. I've been feeling like this for a few days and I spoke to him about it. He said not to worry. I hadn't said anything because I was hoping to be better by today so that I could come to the station with you." Not a complete and total lie but there is some truth hidden in there somewhere.

 

"Well I wish you had said something sooner but that's alright, honey. I'll talk to Umma and tell her I'll book them a cab—"

 

"—No, Hyunnie. You should go. You haven't seen them in a long time. I know your Umma misses you."

 

"I don't have to go, Ji. I can stay here with you."

 

"I will be fine. Please, go. I will only feel guilty if you have to stay here with me."

 

"Well alright then... It'll only be a quick lunch, I promise I'll be home before you know it."

 

*

 

Jiyong starts feeling the contractions in the early afternoon but they're so faint and barely even there that he refuses to think on it a moment longer. He doesn't want to tell Seunghyun before they really have any reason to panic. The last thing he wants to do is worry his husband and send him into a frenzy. So Jiyong makes the maybe foolish decision to keep this small fact from his husband at least until the pain becomes too much that he can no longer hide it. After all, it could even just be ghost pains or trapped wind for havens sake. He'd rather not raise that false alarm.

 

Just when he's starting to relax and calm his breathing down, his phone buzzes beside him and the flashing screen tells him that darling dear of his is calling him.

 

"Hey, Hyun."

 

"Ji, darling... we're a few minutes away from home. Umma insisted that she come and see you and her grandbaby before they pop out of you."

 

"...Uhh..." Jiyong feels a cold shiver of dread tingle down his spine and the blood drain from his face. No, not now. Not when the contractions are starting. He doesn't need this.

 

"Is there anything wrong, love?" Worry seeps into that velvet voice so deep that it melts Jiyong's ice cold heart.

 

"Nothing could be better. I can't wait to see them both."

 

"Great! See you soon. Love you, bye."

 

"Love you too."

 

Jiyong ends the call and sighs heavily, falling back against the soft cushions of the couch and fights back the sting he feels prickling at the corner of his eyes. It will all be over soon and back to normal. He just has to wait it out. They'll get through this.

 

"It's not long now, baby."

 

*

 

"I thought you didn't know the gender of the baby?" Seunghyun's father asks the moment he steps inside the nursery.

 

Jiyong stops just short of the doorway, not able to take a step further inside the room because he knows what's coming. He always sees it coming a mile away before Seunghyun even catches up. They mean well, they always mean well—but it never works out that way. He leans his weight against the doorframe and keeps his head lowered, not to the point that it's disrespectful and he can't lift his gaze any higher than the soft cream coloured carpet, but just so that his eyes don't have to meet the harsh judgement being thrown his way.

 

"We don't, we want to keep it a surprise, Appa." Seunghyun brushes past Jiyong and gently the back of his hand when passing through the door. He probably didn't even consciously make the decision to offer that small touch of reassurance but Jiyong silently thanks Seunghyun for instinctively knowing he needed a moment of his warm touch against his skin.

 

"Then why is it a girl's room?"

 

And there it is.

 

"Girl's room? What's girly about it?" Seunghyun fires back.

 

Jiyong chances a glance around the nursery and has to hold back a huff of laughter at the irony of all four of them essentially standing in opposite corners of the room. Seunghyun is the closest to him, standing directly opposite him in the doorway, hand resting on top of the baby's crib—while Seunghyun's mother stands to Jiyong's left and Seunghyun's father is right down the other end. His father doesn't even bother answering just shakes his head and takes in the decor of the room.

 

Despite Seunghyun's accidental yet ingenious suggestion of painting the room like a melted rainbow ice-cream, they both decided to go with a cherry blossom theme; simple, elegant, soft, calming, beautiful. Everything they wanted their nursery to be. And everything they wanted their child to be. Raised with love and beauty surrounding them. The walls were painted in a soft rose pink with a feature wall in the warmest tone of lilac they could find. On the feature wall where the crib was placed, they hand painted a proud cherry blossom tree in full bloom, standing tall and proud over the baby's crib. Around the room were little trinkets and furnishings in accents in pale forest green and rich browns. Admittedly there was a very obvious soft, feminine feel to the room but Jiyong was determined to create this space of gentleness and tranquillity for the nursery. Even if they were to have a son, Jiyong and Seunghyun wanted their little man to grow up to be a gentleman who showed compassion and kindness to everyone. And if they were to be blessed with a little lady then she should grow up to be a graceful and respectful young woman. There is so much beauty in the world and Jiyong wants his child to have the memory of their first room, the first place they called home, to encompass that beauty—regardless if they have a son or a daughter. And what better start to life could they possibly give their children than the image of a beautiful Sakura tree standing tall above them. Hope, good luck, innocence, simplicity and eternal spring.

 

"Of course it's a girl," Seunghyun's mother smiles but it does nothing to calm Jiyong's erratic nerves. "Seunghyun told me months ago that he knew it was going to be a little girl and the father is always right. I was absolutely certain that I was having another girl when I was pregnant with Seunghyun but his Appa always believed we had been blessed with a boy. It's always the same with every pregnancy, dear. Everyone else except for the mother is right about the gender... or in your case I suppose expecting father should be the right term." Her light laughter only makes the spaces in the room feel smaller and even tenser than before. Jiyong is trying really damn hard right now to ignore the fact that his mother in law has, in a roundabout way, completely belittled him and his choice to bear their child.

 

Seunghyun's father chooses this moment to find his voice again and says offhandedly, "Well, if it is a boy it should be easy enough to paint over, don't worry son."

 

"I don't want to paint over it," Jiyong says in a whisper that only Seunghyun can hear or maybe Seunghyun is the only one who chooses to listen to Jiyong's small voice.

 

Seunghyun takes a step closer to Jiyong's side, not even remembering how that small distance grew between them, he wraps his arm around Jiyong's middle and with his other hand he laces their fingers together and rests their entwined hands on his round belly.

 

"No, Appa. I'm not painting over the walls. We're not changing anything. And we don't know if the baby is going to be a girl or a boy and it doesn't matter. We're going to love our child no matter what or who they are. We already do love our child. This is how Jiyong wanted to set up the nursery, he chose everything in this room with painstaking care and nothing but love and I helped him set it up. We built the room up together and we painted the walls ourselves and we're not changing anything. It's perfect the way it is."

 

Nothing is said for a few minutes but Seunghyun's mother is the first and only one to speak up. "Of course it is, dears. That baby is lucky to have you. Both of you," she says while trying to catch Jiyong's eye but he's still refusing to look up from the ground. "You better be taking good care of him, Seunghyun. He needs you. There's no time more important than the last week of the pregnancy." She fixes her son with a hard look and a small smile.

 

"Yes Umma. Come on, I'll take you and Appa to the hotel."

 

Seunghyun presses a kiss to Jiyong's temple and slowly leaves his side, but not before waiting until his father has left the room. "I'll be back soon. Are you going to be alright?"

 

"Yeah just fine..." Jiyong offers him a smile but it never reaches his eyes and it's anything but reassuring or convincing. "We need some things from the store actually. There's a list on the fridge."

 

"Say no more," he smiles and kisses him on the cheek. "Get some rest, love."

 

Jiyong listens to the sounds of feet marching down the halls and when he hears the soft click of the front door being locked, a sense of relief washes over him until he has to sit down. In this moment, Jiyong can't help but feel like a burden on his husband and his husband's family. They don't even really need anything from the store at all—the baby supplies are stockpiled high, the fridge full of plenty of fresh vegetables and the cupboards full of food. He just really needs this time to himself, to compose himself and keep his emotions in check. Which right now are taking him on the wildest and longest roller coaster ride he's ever been on. Now that he's sent Seunghyun off to store to buy and stock up on their groceries that will buy him a decent hour and a half, at least. That blessed husband of his is a perfectionist, much the same as he is, and he likes to walk down the aisles of the store one by one, inspecting each and every item they may need. It's never a quick and simple "get in and out as quickly as possible" type of affair, and Jiyong hides a smile as he thinks how thankful he is that his husband takes the same attitude to a very different aspect of their life. Nope, never is it a "get in and get out" situation. If it was, then Jiyong probably wouldn't even be in this mess right now, bloated to the size of a hot air balloon fighting off the sharp tensing pains in his back and groin.

 

He's gently rocking back and forth in the chair because he remembers reading somewhere that it helps to alleviate the pain of each contraction... Actually he's not even sure if he read that or whether he made it up but whatever, it sounds good—and on some level it does make him feel better, it could simply be a placebo effect or maybe the rocking is just a comforting motion for him and for the baby.

 

Surely the baby must feel the gentle rocking somehow in the womb, I mean if rocking the baby when it's out of the womb works well then why not inside the womb too.

 

Looking around the nursery, for some strange reason Jiyong can't shake the feeling that there's still something missing, even though everything they need is in its rightful place. It just feels weirdly empty or only half finished to him and he knows that he's being unreasonable because the room is beautiful and perfect for either a girl or a boy but damn it, this is his nursery and as the birthing father it's his nesting space and if wants to be picky then he will be as picky as he likes! Jiyong sighs, telling himself that he's just anxious for the baby to arrive and to finally meet his child for the first time. He's certain that once he holds that tiny baby in his arms everything will fall into place. That once their bouncing bundle of joy is safe and at home with them, everything will feel perfect and complete.

 

*

 

"Jiyong," a gentle yet insistent hand shakes his shoulder, causing him to rock back in the chair. "Ji, wake up, darling."

 

That same warm hand now his cheek before slipping into his silken hair and Jiyong finally flutters his eyes open. He blinks a few times before letting out a long yawn and stretches his arms up and hears a pretty loud pop from his lower back. A twinge of pain shoots down his pelvis as another contraction squeezes his muscles and he can't fight back the wince and hiss of pain as this contraction packs a lot more punch than the ones he felt earlier. Jiyong looks up into dark melted chocolate eyes, b with concern and worry until it threatens to spill over.

 

"What time is it?" he asks his husband, his voice strained from sleeping too long.

 

"Still early but..." Seunghyun trails off and there's almost a pout forming on those lips of his, as he takes in the sight of Jiyong's tired and weary state. "Let's go to bed, love. You should get some rest."

 

The quiet, soothing sound of his voice reaches Jiyong's ears and almost instantly, he feels the baby calm down again. The squirming and uncomfortable kicking has been continuing even through his broken slumber and it's only now, being held in his husband's arms as he's guided into their bedroom, that he feels a moment of peace and calm settle over him once more.

 

***


((Because I kept you all waiting so long, I wrote this very short but very sweet little moment as well.))

 

"I still can't believe you broke my ing hand." Seunghyun shakes his head, still stuck in that phase of disbelief as he stares down at his bandaged hand.

It's not even broken. The doctor clearly explained to them that a few of the bones had been bruised and there's a slight crack in some unimportant bone that won't really affect his mobility at all. Such a drama queen. Jiyong went through giving birth to twins but of course his husband finds something wrong with himself to whinge and carry on about.

"Whatever, Hyun. You have another one. Your will just have to into this palm for a few months instead." He tugs on Seunghyun's uninjured—uncrushed—hand held in his own warm hand.

 

Seunghyun just grunts in response and pulls away from Jiyong's grasp but not before letting a half smile to grace his features. Jiyong carefully shifts away, making his way over to the rocking chair. The older turns his attention back on to the almost-slumbering forms of their tiny newborns. Seunghyun is completely smitten with his children—and is still in awe that his beautiful husband is the one responsible for their being there. Moving as slowly as he dares, being extremely careful not to disturb the little ones, Seunghyun reaches down into the cot and softly runs his finger across his daughter's rosy pink cheeks. They both already have so much of Jiyong in their faces but maybe that's just because they're too adorable for words—just like their Daddy. But Seunghyun knows that eventually he'll begin to see signs of himself in their little faces as well, he just needs to be patient. He smiles widely at the thought and then his attention is drawn to his beautiful baby boy, watching on with amusement as the younger twin fusses in his sleep. His chubby legs kick out and his tiny hands curl into a tight fist.

 

Already jealous of you older sister, are we baby?

 

"You're not worried?" Seunghyun calls out softly to Jiyong, trying his best not to disturb the twins but he can't bring himself to leave their side just yet.

"I'm worried about a lot of things, Hyun. I need some specifics here."

Seunghyun doesn't miss the fact that Jiyong's voice sounds quiet and far off, a lot further away than just from the opposite side of the room and his heart gives a tiny stutter at the thought of his love's fears and worries.

"Their names... you're not worried we still haven't chosen their names?"

He hears the younger hum in thought for a moment before a soft whisper of 'No,' reaches his ears and he smiles to himself when he hears the smile in Jiyong's distant voice. If Seunghyun's honest, he's not too worried either. When they're ready, the twins will reveal their names to their father's.

"Me neither..."

"Besides, we do already have names for them. Precious Peaches and Adorable Jelly Bean."

Yep, Seunghyun is definitely in love. He's completely enamoured with his perfect family.

 

As Jiyong takes in the sight of seeing the love and light of his life watching over their sleeping tiny bundles of joy, he thinks to himself now he knows why the nursery had felt so empty to him before. He wasn't going crazy—well, crazier—and his hormonal pregnant mind hadn't been playing tricks on him either. The nursery had only been half finished. He smiles secretly to himself at the knowledge that somehow deep down, his paternal instincts knew his job nesting wasn't complete. Without realising, Jiyong's hands make their way over to the now flat surface of his stomach. It's nowhere near back to its normal size and it's going to take a lot of early mornings spent doing crunches to return itself back to its normal taut and muscular state. He doesn't know why but for some strange reason Jiyong feels a faint emptiness at the sight of his deflated baby bump. It's silly really. Now he has two beautiful babies to hold in his arms and yet he can't shake the feeling that he'll never be that close to his children again. They will never need him as much as they did for those short nine months of their lives.

 

Seemingly satisfied that the twins have settled down for the time being, Seunghyun straightens up and turns around to face Jiyong but the younger has his head lowered and his hands are rubbing circles over his tummy, subconsciously wrapping his skinny arms around his middle. He slowly approaches Jiyong and when he's standing just beside the rocking chair, the younger looks up at him and there's a wealth of sadness in those brown eyes. Seunghyun understands immediately—he'd been preparing for this moment. Moving in slow, careful movements, Seunghyun crouches down beside Jiyong and wraps his arms around his waist, resting his head over the missing baby bump. Of course Seunghyun misses it as well. The twins growing inside Jiyong's belly had been a part of their lives for nine months, and it became their norm.

 

As tender as the moment is between them, Seunghyun doesn't want to linger on the sadder parts of their childbirth. He kisses Jiyong's tummy just once before standing back up, his knees cracking at the stress of being bent and wow, am I really that old already?

"We're going to have to buy the rest of the nursery gear soon. For now, we'll make do but whatever you want, whatever your heart desires, Yongie... I'll buy it for you. We can put gold-flecked wallpaper up on the walls and install crystal chandeliers. Anything to make you feel complete, my darling."

After Seunghyun successfully pulls an extremely worn out Jiyong to his feet, the younger instantly sways into the solid warmth of the body pressed against him. A pair of strong arms wrap securely around his frame, pulling him in until there's no space left between them. Jiyong rests his head on Seunghyun's shoulder and sighs in content, feeling his eyes slip shut.

"This is all I need," he whispers and nuzzles into Seunghyun's warmth; receiving a tender kiss placed to his forehead in return.

 


 

A/N:

Still no names for the twins~ I know I'm sorry *begs for forgiveness* but guess what? The names are going to be revealed next update ;) and gtop would like to say a little something to you guys too...

(Most, if not all, of these gifs from http://bigbangtop-gifs.tumblr.com/)

 


GD: Hi ^-^

 


TOP: Hey guys

 


TOP: We both just want to say thanks for your patience and we promise to name our babies in the next update
GD: *too adorable for words*

 


GD: You should name them, Hyun.
TOP: *nervous* Me, why me??

 


GD: Oh don't worry. Tee said she wants us to name one each..
TOP: ...ohhh okay.

...

 


TOP: Ji! I think I have a name!

 


GD: Tabi!
TOP: What?

 


GD: You nearly ruined it *angry* You can't just tell everyone the names now!

 

 


TOP: *smirks* I'm sorry, Ji..

 


GD: *blushes* Not in front of them, hyunnie. *giggles*

 


TOP: Sorry, not sorry
GD: *dies*

 


GD: Aish, you're too cute. But so naughty, hyunnie.