~Chapter 7~

DREAMER.

  Baekhyun continued to walk for days now, still with the fixed mind that something was waiting for him at the end. Wherever that may be. He’s heard Kris’ voice a few times here and there, but every time he tries to answer one of his friends questions  or pleads, nothing. He never gave up though, he knew he would get out somehow. The green line that appeared before Baekhyun has failed to leave his side, he also convinced himself that it will lead him to his long awaited destination.

 

  “Hey… Baek…” It was Kris again.

 

  “Hey…” Baekhyun only talked when he heard Kris, going along with whatever conversation.

 

  “Hey… Can you hear me Baek?”

 

  Baekhyun didn't answer. He enjoyed Kris’ company, but the thing he couldn't stand was his voice, filled with hurt and sorrow and throwing up apologize one after the other all about the accident. In a way, he used Kris as motivation to get out, so he wouldn't have to hear another pitiful apology again.

 

  “Baek is it boring in there?”

 

  “A little…” The said replied in a small voice.

 

  A few moments later, Baekhyun still waited for Kris to say something else, but when it never came, he assumed that his friend had left again.

 

  Baekhyun took about 213 steps after Kris failed to continue their conversation(not that he was counting). On the 214th step, he looked ahead and could see a faint speck of light in the distance. He took a few steps forward before the small speck of light (no bigger than a quarter) was more visible and he could have sworn he felt warmth coming from it, almost like the sun.

 

  The green heart monitor started to incline as Baekhyun picked up speed. As Baekhyun was getting closer and closer, his heart monitor would follow as the light would grow larger with every step until Baekhyun was finally close enough to touch it.

  

  He was right there. He attempted to leap forward into the glowing light, his heart monitor getting slower, deeper and faint, all he could hear before being swallowed by the warm light was his flat line.

 

 




 

  “So how long can people stay in a coma for?” Kris asked with a serious expression towards the young girl.

  

  The girl looked up from Kris’ patient profile picture and looked at the boy in bed. “Well it depends. Sometimes weeks or maybe a few months. It really depends on the patient, but after a couple of months people take the patient off of life support. But I’m sure you wouldn't do that to him.” She said honestly.

 

  “You don't have any right to voice your opinions.” Kris spoke a bit too harshly, but Baekhyun was now a sensitive topic.

 

  “So you do want to take him off life support?” The girl furrowed her brow, looking at Kris with concer.

 

  Kris. being the nice person that he naturally is, kept all his thought he had about the young girl to himself. With a forced smile he asked, “When can I see Baek again?”

 

  “I’m not sure. You really weren't supposed to go out the first three times. It’s amazing you could even get out of your bed.” She exaggerated the last part with flailing arms.

 

  “Why would you say that?” Kris said flattening the wrinkles in his hospital blanket.

 

  The girl leaned back in her chair next to Kris’ hospital bed. “Well. first of all, you got hit by a cargo truck while on a fast paced motorcycle, when you crashed you hit the pavement so hard that your helmet shattered into pieces. It’s surprising you’re not the one in a coma.“ She said that last part under her breath. “Not to mention you broke your collar bone on the right side of your body and your leg was dislocated, but you still managed to walk over to Baekhyun’s side. We're all fascinated by that one.” The girl looked at Kris’ cut and bruised face and arms in amazement. Kris turned out to be stronger then he looked.

 

  Kris’ expression didn't match his now stern voice, his features fell blank as he stared out the window to his shared room as if he was about to tell as story. “I didn't feel any pain go through my body when I saw the condition Baekhyun was in.” His voice came out faint when he spoke his friends name.

 

  The girls gave Kris a sad smile following a sad sigh. She stood up from the hard chair abruptly pointing a finger at Kris. Kris jumped in his bed by the sound of the polished wooden chair screeching on the tile floors. “That’s it Mr. Wu Yifan! I’m taking you to see your lover today!”

 

  “M- my what?!” Kris started to choke on air and gasped for air at the girls uncensored words.

 

  “Oh Mr. Wu Yifan, are you okay?” the girl ran too the little sink by the entrance of the room fetching a cup of water, then giving it to Kris.

 

  Kris took a quick swig of the water before speaking again. “Hahaha. You’ve got it all wrong kid. Baekhyun and I have a been friends for years. Probably before you learned how to wipe your .. We’re nothing more.” He cleared his throat, still laughing on the inside at the word “lover.”

 

  The girl tilted her head in confusion, but ended the conversation. She could tell Kris was uncomfortable, picking at the rim of his cup and forcefully clearing his throat every few seconds.

 

  The two were silent for only a short moment before the girl announced she was going to find a nurse to sign off on some form saying that Kris was able to leave his room to visit another patient in a different hospital building.

 

  Kris sat quietly still picking at his styrofoam cup, keeping his thoughts to himself. He let one word slip from his lips “Lover…”

 

 




 

  “I don't see why I have to be in a wheelchair when I wasn't the last three times.” Kris said letting the young girl push him to hospital C, since one of his arms was now in a cast and sling.

 

  The girl struggled to push the boy up the handicap railing. “Like I said… last time.. I, well you… technically snuck out.” She said in between heavy breaths. When they finally made it to the entry of hospital building C, the girl let go of the wheelchair handles placing them on her hips then wiping her brow. “And not to mention, you were complaining about your hips hurting every time you took a step.” When she caught her breath she cracked her back and pouted. “Geez, why does the sun come out now?” She looked at the sky.

 

  Kris turned around in the chair and looked up at the girl, scoffing. “I’m not that heavy, you’re just a week teenage girl.”

 

  The girl glared down at Kris for his comment. “Oh no, we weighed you Mr. Wu Yifan and you are pure muscle, which is heavy.”

 

  Kris looked at the girl not understanding what she meant.

 

  “Oh never mind.” The girl waved her hand dismissing her last statement.

 

  The two went through the automatic doors to the hospital and the girl pushed Kris’ chair towards the waiting area with other visitors before talking to the nurse at the front desk. When the girl came back, she stuck a name tag on Kris’ chest that read ‘Wu Yifan’.

 

  Kris looked down at his chest with the name tag on it as they made their way down a hospital wing. “What’s this for?” He asked.

 

  “A visitors tag, just so they know who you are and your purpose of visiting.” She informed.

 

  “Where’s yours?” Kris tried to turn his neck to the girl behind pushing him to see if she had one as well.

 

  “I have this,” she waved a card with her picture and name in front of Kris’ face. “Since I’m a volunteer here, all I need is this card and I can practically get in almost anywhere.” She reattached the card to her key chain with one hand while pushing the wheelchair with another which almost caused Kris to hit his legs on a near by wall, luckily Kris took control.

 

  After a few left and rights the two finally came across room A6012. As soon as they arrived the girl stopped the wheelchair so it was outside the room by the doorway. Kris gripped the large wheel on the left side of the wheelchair hard enough, turning his knuckles white and clenching his jaw. He’s been to Baekhyun’s room a few times before, but something felt different about this visit.

 

  Shortly after, Kris started to move the wheels forward without the girls help, but she went along with it.

 

  When they were half way in the room, Kris could see that the window shades were open letting in the warm sunlight, hitting every part of the room. The room Baekhyun was in wasn't shared with someone else like the way Kris’ room was, which made Kris happy. He didn't have to worry about an extra pair of eyes and ears peeking in. It also gave him the opportunity to speak freely with his friend.

 

  The last thing Kris saw was Baekhyun, sleeping in the hard hospital bed with wires attached to his body

 

  Kris wheeled himself to Baekhyun’s bedside leaving the girl to stand in the corner of the room by the window, leaving Kris and Baekhyun space to talk about whatever. She knew better than to speak a word at times like these.

 

  Kris started off the conversation like he normally did. “Hey Baek… hows it going in there?” He waved his good hand in front of Baekhyun’s face as if to check if the boy was really asleep. Kris could still see the visible cuts and black bruises on Baekhyun’s face and he feared for the boy that they would leave even the smallest scares. Baekhyun’s face has always been flawless, even during and after puberty.

 

  Aside, the girl stood quiet in the corner observing the two, still trying to figure out how to conclude the two boys relationship.

 

  “My Baekhyun.” Kris gently placed his hand over Baekhyun’s bandaged head. “I wish I could trade spots with you, but you wouldn't worry about me because you know how strong I am, but I don't really know how strong you are Baek. You were never really strong when we were kids though…” Kris’ hand roamed down from the sleeping boys head to cup Baekhyun’s black and blue cheek. A single tear trickled down Kris’ cheek, burning the small cuts that crossed its path.

 

  “And he said they aren't lovers.” The girl mumbled to herself.

 

  Kris continued the other boys face for five more minutes before he completely broke down out of nowhere, catching the girl off guard.

 

  “Baekhyun It’s been a whole week… please open your eyes!” He gripped the boys bed sheet creating wrinkles. “Baek… please wake up soon so I can have a real conversation with you, so we can do things together, so I can… So I can love you!” He cried out, confessing his lingering feelings for the younger. He pulled back from Baekhyun’s bed, slumping down in his wheelchair hanging his head low. “God, please let me trade places with him…”

 

  The girl wasn't sure of what to do next, but she felt the need to comfort Kris. After a moment of hesitation, she slowly walked over to his side giving his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. “If you need to say something I can leave you two alone.” She offered.

 

 “...No. I think it would be better if you stayed while I said this.” He wiped his watery eyes.

 

  Surprised by his answer the girl obliged and took a seat on the corner of Baekhyun’s bed, but not before Kris’ consent first.

 

  The next 20 minutes was of Kris telling the girl how him and Baekhyun met and their lives together since they were kids. How he would always protect Baekhyun when he needed it the most, especially when they were in middle and the beginning year of high school. Baekhyun has always thought of the older male as a big brother more than a friend (even though he has one of those) and Kris knew that which was heart breaking on his end. He loved Baekhyun more than anything, more than he loved his other close friends, more than a brother should love a brother, but he knew Baekhyun would never approve of his feelings or feel the same way. To him, he was just a big brother, someone to look up to when his other brother wasn't around, nothing more, nothing less.

 

  “Do you know that for a fact?” The girl asked.

 

  “I don't, know. I say he doesn't so my feelings for him will disappear and so I can move on and never look at him the way I do now. I’ll always love him, but I can't have these types of feelings for someone who looks at me like a brother.” Kris fisted his hair letting out soft sobs.

 

  The girl stood up from her chair moving closer to Kris then rubbing small circles on his back, telling him everything was going to be ok.

 

  Kris leaned forward in the chair, resting his head on the girls lap. He was so tired with himself . “I’m so done with all of this.” Kris continued to sob softly.

 

  Before the girl had a chance to ask the meaning of Kris’ vague statement they both heard a loud commotion outside the room somewhere down the hallway, pulling away from each other.

 

  “What’s that?” Kris asked looking up at the girl like she knew the answer.

 

  “I’m not sure…” She got off Baekhyun’s bed and peeked her head outside the room, scoping out the hallway. When she came back into the room, she shrugged her shoulders not finding the answer.

 

  Moments later they heard it again. This time it was the sound of a man and a woman arguing about a patient.

 

  “You let me see him now! Where’s your boss?!”

 

  “Ma’am, visiting hours are not until later this afternoon for outside visitors.”

 

  “Damn it let me see him! I’m not going to wait for three hours to see him!”

 

  “Mom we can't just do that, the hospital has rules.” A third voice chimed in.

 

  Kris and the girl looked at each other in confusion at the faceless argument taking place just right down the hall.

 

  “F the rules, he’s my boy not yours!”

 

  “Ma’am if you step one foot down that hall, I’m forced to call security.”

 

  “Call your damn security then.”

 

  “Mom stop, the whole hospital can hear you.”

 

  “Let them hear me then!”

 

  “Ma’am stop.”

 

  “Mom!”

 

  The girl took little leaps to the door again peeking her head out whilst Kris wheeled himself to the foot of Baekhyun’s bed.

 

  “Security!”

 

  “Mom stop, you’re going to get us in a lot of trouble- ah! Sorry!”

 

  “Mrs. Byun stop!”

  

  “...Did they say Byun?” Kris asked.

 

  “I think so. Isn’t that Baekhyun’s-” the girl got cut off by a middle aged woman bumping into her side hard, causing her to stumble back.

 

  Kris looked at the woman in shock that she was actually there in the hospital.

 

  “Mrs. Byun…?” He mumbled quietly, hands shaking.

 

  “My… my baby…” Her eyes grew wide as her hands came up to cover after looking at Baekhyun, not even acknowledging the other two in the room. “My Baekhyun.” She took small staggering steps further into the room as tears started to fall on her cheeks.

 

  “Mrs. Byun…” Kris repeated in the same tone.

 

  “Mom!” Another person appeared in the room out of breath.

 

  “Jongdae?”

 

  “Kris?” Jongdae tilted his head, surprised to see the boys face and that he was in a wheelchair.

 

  “My baby!” Ms. Byun shrieked,causing everyone in the room to plug their ears.

 

  Before Mrs. Byun could get any closer to her son's bedside, two large security guards rushed past Jongdae and the girl retrieving the hysterical woman.

 

  “No, you can't do this, that’s my son! Baekhyun no! Why?!” She continued to scream, face turning red with anger and mixed with fear, while she was being pulled away from her unconscious son.

 

  Suddenly a doctor in a white coat appeared in the doorway ordering everyone out into the hall immediately. Jongdae was the first to leave the room, not wanting to cause anymore trouble than him and his mom already have.

 

  “Come on Mr. Wu.” The girl said as she pushed the chair out into the hall.

 

  Kris didn't make a sound, his face remained the same since Mrs. Byun walked (barged) into the room.

 

  Even though Mrs. Byun, the doctor and the two security guards escorting her, had already turned the corner he could still hear her screams. “I’m that boys mother god damn it! Kris, tell them who I am! Thats my baby in there!”

 

  Kris jumped at the sound of his name leaving the woman's lips.

 

~*~

  


 

 

  ~A/N~

 

   A lot kinda happened in this chap, sorry that there’s a lack of Baekyeol, but thats just how it goes, Baekhyun has to go through a lot in order to be happy. They’ll be more after chapter 10 so please be patient with me >.<

 

please comment(seriously I feel like no one is reading this OTL)


Have a nice day<3