~Chapter 6~

DREAMER.

Baekhyun heard a horrendous cry that made his ears ring and create a fulfilling pain in the back of his skull. He winced in pain everytime he heard the scream, for it was so high pitched, that he thought his ears would bleed.

 

“Ouch!” Baekhyun hit something which felt like a cold cement surface on his hands and knees, a scream hit him from behind so hard, that it caused him to fall on his knees. From the first time he heard the wailing cries to hitting the hard surface he had failed to open his eyes, or so he thought. In fact the boys eyes were open the whole entire time, but all he could see was pitch black of the unknown world.

 

When Baekhyun was aware of the darkness around him, he felt drawn to walk straight, certain he would find something waiting for him in the long run. He didn't know how far he would have to go to reach the light in the never ending black canvas, if there even was one, but in the back of his throbbing head he knew something, or maybe even someone was waiting for him.

 

 



 

 

In the real world, all Kris could see was white. He woke up to an incessant beeping sound that he would guess was some kind of machine they had him hooked up to. He rolled his head side to side, trying to focus his eyes some how. “God,” he groaned. “Why is this room so damn bright?” He brought his good arm in front of his eyes trying to shield them from the blinding white walls.

 

“Um… Mr. Wu?” Kris heard a soft child like voice come from some place in his shared room.

 

Kris frantically moved his head left to right trying to locate the person who called him, hoping that they could give him answers as to where his friend was, since he recalled everything that happened the day before.

 

“Wu… Yifan?” The voice said ever so softly.

 

“Where's Baek?” Kris asked the voice.

 

He could hear faint footsteps enter his side of the room. “I’m sorry, who?”

 

“Where’s-” Kris cut himself off when his eyes landed on a little girl, no older than 15. “Who are you?” Kris attempted to prop himself up to get a better look at the child, but quickly winced in pain at the pressure being put on his right arm.

 

“Oh no Mr. Wu,” the girl ran to Kris’ side carefully laying him back down in the proper position. “You can’t move that fast right now, you’re right collar bone is fracture maybe even broken and you have a few bruised ribs. You have to be careful. And this is the first time you’ve woken up in a couple days, so you’re weak.”

 

“Ah . A couple days?” Kris dragged his hand over his face when he got the news, but there wasn't anything he could do about it. “... And who are you to be helping me? Are you even old enough to go to the doctors by yourself?” Kris tried to get smart, but winced again when a sharp pain went straight threw his injured collarbone.

 

“I’m a volunteer at this hospital. My job for today is to check on the children in the burn unit, two floors above you, but I saw people carry you into the ER-”

 

“Why aren't you at the burn until now?” Kris asked.

 

“I finished my rounds for the afternoon.” She answered.

 

“Where’s Baekhyun?” Kris asked not caring about the girls schedule. Who is she anyway?

 

“Baek, is your friend, right?”

 

“It’s Baekhyun.” Kris corrected the young girl, offended that this stranger who is totally invading his privacy used Baek Hyun's nickname he gave him. “Just Byun Baekhyun… Where is he?” He asked again.

 

“Oh, sorry for the confusion Mr. Wu. I think your friend is in the intensive care unit, were the other coma patients are.” The girl bit her lip trying to remember what room the boy was in, but failed.

 

“Coma?” Who’s in a coma?” Kris asked the girl in shock, but hid his facial expression behind his bruised and scratched up face. “Baekhyun’s in a coma?” Kris asked swallowing a lump in his throat on the verge of tears.

 

“Sorry sir, let me get a doctor to answer your questions.” The girl quickly tried to cover up her previous answer, realizing it wasn't her position to voice information to any patient.

 

“No wait.” Kris swiftly grabbed onto the girls slim wrist with his left hand, stopping her in her tracks.

 

The girl turned around, looking down at her wrist Kris had his bandaged fingers wrapped around. “Is there something you need Mr. Wu.” She asked in a calm voice, but Kris could clearly hear the nervous tremble in it along with her fake smile.

 

“Is my friend, Byun Baekhyun, in a coma?” He asked in an intimidating voice.

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Wu, but I’m not qualified to answer, that question. You see, I’m only a volun-”

 

The girl squealed as Kris’ grip tightened around her slender wrist. “Where is my friend?”

 

The girl pursed her lips together, muffling a few more squeaks from her lips caused by Kris’ harsh grip. “Please, I’m only 15 and I’m not even allowed to answer questions about other patients without a nurse or doctor present so…” The girl let out another squeak when Kris let go of her wrist only to pull her down by her shirt collar, bringing her down to his eye level.

 

“Listen girl. You tell me where Byun Baekhyun is located in this damn hospital in less than an hour or I swear you’ll end up in the burn unit with those other children.” Kris threatened the young girl. Het let go of her shirt and pushed her away from him.

 

The girl was beyond terrified of Kris by now. “I… I will try my best to be secretive.” The girl did not hesitate to leave his room in search of her own answers.

 

Kris laid in his hard hospital bed hoping the girl would return in a hour or less. Baek, I know your kind heart wouldn't want me to threaten someone so young and innocent, but… I’m… it’s all my fault… I’ll see you soon, I promise Baekhyun.

 

 




 

Baekhyun was still walking blindly through the blackness. He wasn't even sure if he was walking in a straight line or in a million little circles, it felt like hours nonetheless. He wasn't questioning why he was stuck walking, walking in complete darkness, it didn't even cross his mind that he could possibly stay like that forever. He knew for a fact he wouldn't stay for long, he knew something was indeed waiting for him….

 

 




 

It had only been 45 minutes and 27 seconds since the young girl left Kris’ room to look for Baekhyun, not that he was counting.

 

“When is this kid coming back?” He almost screamed, but remembered he was in a shared room with a rather quiet patient. The fact that he was stuck in a hospital room basically by himself made him feel uneasy, for Kris hates hospitals.

 

“Mr. Wu, Mr. Wu!” He heard a small voice yell down the hall. Shortly after the girl came running into his room out of breath. The girl placed her hands on her knees, wiping her brow and catching her breath. “Mr. Wu… I… found… your friend…” She said in between breaths.

 

Kris gave her a puzzled look. “Why are you so out of breath? Is Baekhyun’s room that far?”

 

“Well…” The girl stood straight up, bringing her heart rate to the norm. “The first place I went was to check where and what room your friend is in, which is A6012 on the sixth floor, but the elevator was crowded so I took the stairs. That’s six flights of stairs I ran up since you’re on the first level of the hospital.” She said a bit to dramatically.

 

“Six flights of stairs is nothing.” Kris scoffed.

 

“But, I got the wrong hospital building, Baekhyun is in room A6012 hospital C and I went to hospital A.” The girl explained.

 

“Hospital C? What hospital am I in?” Kris looked around the room as if the answer would magically pop up in front of him.

 

The girl cleared . “You’re in hospital A. I thought they would keep both of you in the same hospital building, that’s why I looked here first, but I guess not..” She sighed.

 

“How far is hospital C?” Kris got right to the point.

 

“It’s only a quarter mile away and- wait. You can't leave this room in the condition you’re in.” The girl pointed an accusing finger at Kris.

 

“Cant leave my !” Kris shouted out in frustration, (not even caring about the person resting on the other side of the curtain) he attempted to push himself up, but failed miserably when he fell back and hit his pillow with a thud.

 

“See. I told told you. You might as well stay in bed until next week?”

 

“Next week? You must be crazy little girl. What part of I-need-to-see-my-friend don't you understand?” Kris spat back.

 

“I understand Mr. Wu, but I’m nobody of authority.” She said for the nth time.

 

“Listen, you get me a sling for my arm, a robe that doesn't give me an uncomfortable breeze, and lets go so I can see Baekhyun.” Kris said with determination. He was truly fed up with the girl by now, all he wanted to do was see his friend.

 

“Mr. Wu… I’m sorry.” She said with complete sincerity.

 

Kris was now out of options. He was forced to use a tactic only Baekhyun has witnessed only twice in his life. He looked up at the girl, his eyes growing big and watery. Before he let the tears fall to his cheeks he let out a soft, broken, “Please…”

 

 

 



 

 

Baekhyun continued to walk, even though he he couldn't see them he knew his feet were covered in blood blisters like a sock. At first it felt like minutes, then hours, but now it felt like days since he started walking. He felt like an empty vessel, just endlessly walking without a thought or emotion. He didn't dare think of stopping, afraid that the darkness would trap and swallow him whole. So he just… walked.

 

As Baekhyun’s insesent walking continued, out of no where a bright neon green light shot past him. He swiftly turned his head to get a look at the light, but as soon as it came it left just as fast.

 

“What?” That was the first word the boy let pass his lips since he started walking.

 

This time, more subtle, the bright green light appeared again and on the side of Baekhyun, but it didn't disappear, it stayed levitating in the air beside him in a long continuous line. Only moments later did the solid green live manifest sharp pointed waves from it every few seconds with an audible beep.

 

Baekhyun frowned at the sight of the tempoed beat, to him it looked similar to a heart monitor you find hooked up to patients in the hospital. Baekhyun raised one of his hands and placed it over his heart. It matched the slow tempo of the green line. “That must be my heartbeat.” He spoke, it didn't faze him in anyway though, he dropped his hand and continued walking.

 

“Baekhyun.” The sound of hearing someone elses voice for the first time startled Baekhyun making him grab onto his shirt were his heart would be. He looked at the heart monitor with wide eyes as if it spoke to him, but it just kept its slow tempo.

 

“W-who is it?” Baekhyun shouted.

 

“Oh man, Baek.” The voice said again.

 

Baekhyun’s heart skipped a beat-and it showed on the monitor-as he could identify the voice, the second time around. “Kris!” He yelled.

 

“Baek… Please… open your eyes… Baek.” Kris sighed.

 

“Kris!” Baekhyun shreeked. “Kris, I’m right here! Can't you hear me?!” He cried out, praying that Kris would respond with an answer to match his question.

 

“Baek…” Kris’ voice faded.

 

“No!” Baekhyun started to run as fast as he could to catch up to the fading voice. “Kris, I’m right here! Why cant you hear me?!”

 

“Baek. I’m so sorry…” Kris said one last time before his voice was completely gone.

 

“NO KRIS!” Baekhyun cried out as many times as he could before his throat felt raw and it hurt to yell his friends name.

 

 

 

 




 

“Baekhyun why?” Kris said with tears in his eyes as he sat in the chair next to Baekhyun’s hospital bed- in room A6012 in hospital building C. “Baekhyun… This is all my fault, I should have listened to you, I should be where you are right now and you should be at home sleeping not here. I’m the one who should be dead.” He confessed.

 

“He’s not dead Mr. Wu, he’s in a coma.” She cleared up.

 

“Well he’s not out living now.” His voice was starting to get horsed. “Baek, you wake up so I can see your beautiful eyes again and so I can tease you like when we were kids.” Kris chuckled letting a few tears stain his hospital gown.

 

In the background the girl even let a couple of tears escaped her eyes.

 

Kris gathered enough strength without breaking down, to cup Baekhyun’s cheek in his hand and it. “Please wake up soon Baekhyun. I need you as much as you need me. Don't you remember the promise we made each other in middle school?” Kris couldn't think about not showing remorse for the pain he had cause the person he cared for the most. His best friend was in a coma because of him. It killed Kris on the inside.

 

“Mr. Wu, I have to get you back to your room before 8:30… it’s already 8:00.” The girl interjected briefly.

 

“Ok.” Kris’ eyes never left Baekhyun’s black and blue face. Kris gently leaned over Baekhyun and gently placed a soft kiss on the youngers forehead before making his way to the door with the girl. “I’ll come back tomorrow Baek. I promise.”

 

~*~

 

~A/N~ Hello, well I’m on break now and have a lot of time to update and I hope I don't disappoint you and really sorry about the long totally uncalled for hiatus OTL. Anyway please comment and I might update faster if you guys are even interested in that lol (-_-)’


Have a nice day<3