The Promise

The Geisha

 

“Sit down.”

Yifan did so according to the man in front of him, Joonmyeon, and bit his lower lip. He had never thought that Joonmyeon would bring him to the palace-like house. And from what he had heard from the introduction, Joonmyeon was a Korean mafia that had dirty business in Japan. It wasn’t hard to see Joonmyeon get bowed to or respected by the others. And Yifan had to assure himself Joonmyeon was a real well-known mafia.

“What’s your name?” Joonmyeon asked him.

“Kris Wu.” He answered honestly.

“Kris then.” Joonmyeon smiled. He pulled out a cigarette and lighted it up before it deeply. He looked at Yifan and offered, “Cigarette.”

Yifan was never a smoker. But he decided it wouldn’t be good if he declined the offer. He took one and lighted it up as well.

“So, Kris. I wonder why you suddenly wanted to be my man, having done something to my geisha.”

Yifan wasn’t prepared for this question. Cursing mentally, he lowered his gaze and played with the cigarette nervously, rolling it around his fingers.

“You don’t have to think that deeply.” Joonmyeon said, “Do you want to get closer to my geisha, hmm?”

He knew he could be dead meat, but he nodded his head. He had expected slap, or even a bullet through his brain, but he was wrong. Joonmyeon laughed at him. The shorter male’s lips stretched widely into a grin and his eyes sparkled as he stared at Yifan’s eyes.

“Listen, Kris.” He started, “Lay is mine. And nobody is allowed to touch him.”

Yifan really wanted to punch the shorter male in front of him but he held his anger because he knew he would die ridiculously if he did that. So, he kept his anger down and took a long drag from the cigarette instead.

“When I say that he is mine, it means no one can touch him, including you. What do you see from this geisha anyway? If you need to release your ual frustration, why don’t you find another one that isn’t owned?”

“He is…” Kris stopped and bit the filter of the cigarette, “He’s more than a geisha to me.”

“But, he’s mine.”

“I just need to be close to him. I won’t try to steal him from you.” Yifan pushed his luck.

Joonmyeon narrowed his eyes and smirked, “Are you in love with him or something?”

“No, just curious. It…it’s not your business to understand, sorry. But, can I just be your man?”

“So, you can see him every day when you want to?”

Yifan gritted his teeth.

“Fine with me.” Joonmyeon said and leaned back to the soft sofa, “You can be my man.”

Yifan widened his eyes. He had never thought that it would be that easy. He had expected some beating or something. But, there wasn’t.

“A-are you serious?”

Joonmyeon shrugged, “You’re unique. I like to collect unique things. So, yes, I’m serious.”

Yifan frowned. He knew it wouldn’t be that easy as ‘I wanted to be your man and then accepted’. He knew he would have to face something in the future. But, at that time, he couldn’t let Lay disappear before his eyes ever again.

“Thank you.” Yifan said, “Is there anything I have to do before I can start working or something?”

“Yes.” Joonmyeon said, “You’ll be trained first to use guns and knives. But, before that, you have to do something for me.”

Yifan knew it would be bad. But, it didn’t stop him from asking, “What is it?”

Joonmyeon smashed the cigarette under his shoe and smirked darkly, “Kill someone.”

 

-

 

So, that was why he was standing in front of a house, with one of Joonmyeon’s men, Kai, a gun in his hand. His fingers couldn’t stop trembling but he couldn’t back away because he thought he had gone too far. He turned his face to see Kai smirking at him.

“New guy, this is your first killing so you must be nervous, eh?”

Yifan gritted his teeth but decided not to say anything.

“Don’t worry. I’ll finish them all and give you the killing part in the end. You don’t have to join the fun if you don’t want to.”

Thinking that at least he had to leave a strong impression to the cocky man, Yifan pocketed the gun and smirked, “I’ll join the fun first.”

“You’re not going to use the gun?”

“I’ll use the gun right at the killing part. For the fight, I prefer to use my bare hands.”

“Tch, fighter.” Kai snickered and kicked open the door of the house without warning.

Some men in the house looked tensed right after they had seen Kai enter the house.

“Where’s Jonghyun?” Kai asked the men.

They decided not to answer Kai’s question and stood up with fists to beat them. Kai ‘tch’-ed once again and looked at Yifan.

“These people are going to be dead meat. No mercy, beat them all.”

Yifan nodded and the fight began. The first man launched a punch to Yifan but since he had been used to fighting, he dodged it fast and turned the position. He kicked the man’s leg so that the man fell down and then he stomped right on the man’s neck, causing the man to faint.

Kai finished with two persons, one by bare hands and the other by the smoking gun in his hands. He smirked at Yifan, “Not bad, Rookie. Finish them all.”

Yifan grabbed another man and dislocated the man’s shoulder in a swift movement. He hit the nape and another one went down on the ground.

As the time went by, Yifan had knocked down four persons and Kai got five. Another one was a coward and ran out of the room to escape. Kai laughed at that and signaled Yifan to follow him upstairs.

Kai kicked a door open and they saw a male sitting on the wooden chair in the middle of the room. His face was as cold as stone, Yifan could find no fear on the man’s expression.

“Well, well, I thought you were going to run away just like one of your men. But, apparently I was wrong.” Kai smirked, “You really aren’t scared of death, are you?”

“If I’m meant to be dead, then let it be.” The man, Jonghyun, Yifan thought, said.

Kai chuckled lowly. He dragged a chair toward the man and sat on it, facing Jonghyun.

“Kim Jonghyun. You know why both of us here, right?”

Jonghyun smirked, “I know you, you are one of Joonmyeon’s men. But, him.” Jonghyun gave Yifan a look, “I’ve never seen him.”

“He’s new. And he’s going to be the one killing you tonight.” Kai shrugged, “So, where’s the money? You tell me, I’ll let you live.”

“I’ve told you.” Jonghyun said, there was a hint of frustration in his tone then, “I don’t have the money.”

“Well, bad news.” Kai said, “You’re dead tonight.”

The tanned male stood up and looked at Yifan, “Head shot is enough. We don’t need to torture him.” And then he looked down at Jonghyun, “Be grateful that we’re kind to make it fast.”

Jonghyun snorted, “It’s an assassination though. I’m still dead.”

Kai decided not to say anything and gave Yifan space to do his work.

That night, Yifan, for the first time in his life, felt how it was like to have hot crimson liquid spurting at his face. And for the first time since he had been tortured by the robbers that had killed his parents, his hands were trembling as the fears crawled down his skin like venom.

 

-

 

“Good job.”

Yifan snapped his head up just to see Joonmyeon standing at the doorway with a cigarette between his smirking lips.

“You’re not that bad as a rookie.” Joonmyeon said, “Maybe a little bit messy, but it doesn’t matter.”

“So…” Yifan said after he had gained his voice again, “am I accepted?”

“Well, yeah. But, you still need to be trained.” Joonmyeon said, “I won’t employ you without experience. At least, you’ve felt how it was to kill someone. Did you feel the adrenaline rushing down your body? Did you feel the weird stinging sensation as you killed him?”

I felt nausea. “I don’t know. I didn’t think about that at the moment.”

“You have to feel it next time. How it is when the blood touches you skin and gives you goosebumps. How the dark eyes become lifeless and fall close in front of you. It’s a pleasant feeling, for your information.”

This guy is a psycho, Yifan thought at the moment and closed his eyes to get a rid the memory how Jonghyun’s eyes became soulless and dead.

“Now, now, Yifan, follow me.” Joonmyeon suddenly said, gesturing with his finger.

Yifan, gaining his power, stood up from the sofa and followed the shorter yet extremely cruel guy. Joonmyeon led him towards a wide backyard. And Yifan could see about ten targets far in the end of it. The ex-fighter immediately knew what Joonmyeon wanted him to do then.

“You’re going to learn how to use the guns first.” Joonmyeon said and his cigarette.

Yifan nodded quietly.

“But, not today. You must be tired after the killing. Why don’t you get some rest and start the practice tomorrow?”

“Okay.”

“Lay will show you to your room.” Joonmyeon said. He smirked as he saw Yifan snap his head up at the mention of Lay’s name.

“Don’t do anything funny to my geisha, Yifan, or I’ll kill you.” Joonmyeon threatened playfully.

Yifan lowered his head back as Joonmyeon left him. He saw a pair of feet stopping in front of him. He looked up just to see the beautiful face once again. How he had missed that face.

“La-”

“Don’t talk to me.” Lay said coldly, “Let’s get you to your room.”

Yifan sighed and followed the fair skinned male. They passed the beautiful garden in the middle of the house and walked straight to the end of the corridor. They stopped in front of a door and Lay signaled Yifan to enter it. The taller had to hold his urge to ask by gritting his teeth. He opened the door and stepped into it.

The room was medium-sized and sparsely furnished. There was a bed, small table, wardrobe and a door to bathroom.

Suddenly, a hand pushed him further and he heard the door slamming shut. Yifan ly to see Lay leaning against the door with an unreadable look on his face.

“Lay, what’s wro-”

“Why are you here, Kris?!” He asked. His usual soft tone Yifan that was familiar with was trembling and hard.

Lay didn’t give time for the ex-fighter to answer. He grabbed Yifan collar and pushed him up against the nearest wall.

“You! What the are you doing here?!” Lay asked once again, “It’s dangerous here! Why did you sign yourself up to be Joonmyeon’s man?! Why?! He’s a mafia, for God’s sake, you’re not familiar with this environment! You do not know anything about this! Why the hell did you do that?!”

“Lay…” Yifan grasped Lay’s hands on his collar, holding them gently, “Lay…I’m sorry…”

Suddenly, the tears trickled down Lay’s soft face, “Why…? Why didn’t you stay away from this and live your life as a fighter…? Why…?”

“I’m sorry.” Yifan let go one of Lay’s hands and cupped the face in front of him softly, “I just…I couldn’t leave you like that…I thought, at least, if I became one of his men, I could see you, I could protect you…”

“And why did you even want to do that…?” Lay asked, lowering his head, “You weren’t even my regular customer…I was just a geisha who danced for everyone. So, why?”

“I…” Yifan was about to answer that Lay was more than a geisha for him when suddenly their conversation was interrupted by the ring of Yifan’s phone.

Yifan pulled out the device and saw Luhan’s name on it.

Lay wiped his tears and stepped away from Yifan, “I don’t know what the reason is, Kris. But, I did warn you that this environment isn’t good for you. It’s for you to decide. And… I’m sorry, but I’ll keep ignoring you every time we meet. It’ll be too risky if I act like I know you. For your sake, for my sake, let’s pretend that I don’t know you.”

Lay started walking out of the room but Yifan held his wrist.

“Lay…” Yifan said softly, “Can I meet you again…?”

Lay turned his face and stared at Yifan’s eyes directly, “Every Saturday night, the third room of the west wing, I’ll be waiting for you. I’m only free then.”

With that way, Lay pulled his hand out of Yifan’s grasp and closed the door, leaving the taller male to himself.

The phone was still ringing. Yifan could only stare blankly at the screen as his mind raged with mixed feelings.

 


 

aaaw~ they promised to meet~ ujujuuuuu~ my feels~

by the way, i still can't move on from EXO's MV teaser. please tell me that they're gonna be y as hell...damn it man...