The Fighter

The Geisha

 

Shinjuku was the place where Yifan had decided to go. Once he had arrived in Japan, he immediately took the cab and went there. He checked in a shabby motel to rest. But, Yifan’s mind was too occupied to sleep. So, in the middle of his first night there, he went out of his room to take a walk.

The night breeze was attacking his bones. Yifan tightened the coat around his body and blew his hands to warm them up.

Shinjuku never sleeps. That was why Yifan found so many people still on the streets even thought it was almost past mid-night. But, he knew that it would be dangerous if he stayed out too late because the alleys and streets of Shinjuku are a popular modern Tokyo Yakuza hangout. The amount of yakuza there is no joke. There are the undercover ones or even the ones who dare show themselves.

He heard a faint crowded sound from afar when he was about to go back to the motel. Curiosity led his legs to approach the said sound. It wasn’t that far, within ten minutes of walking, he found another shabby building filled by so many people with different hair colors and beer bottles. He scrunched his nose as he passed a drunken man who was running to throw up outside the building. He slipped between the sea of people and found a battle ring in the middle. Two men were sitting on the opposite corners. They were bleeding a lot, but none of them showed any sign of surrender. Yifan walked closer to the ring and saw the y woman swaying her hips with a board above his head. It was written ‘Round 5’.

The two men stood up immediately after the bell had been hit. Basically, the fight had no rules. It was just a fight between two men and the last man standing was the winner. That was all. After the sixth round, Yifan could see that the winner of the two was given some money. His eyes caught it and frowned, because he had once caught a glimpse of cheating before. Yifan was sure the fighter had used something like metal under the bandages around his hands. He knew it. It was a dirty match.

“Yeap! Another one was K.O by our champion, Choi Minho!” The MC shouted, earning a loud cheer from the fighter’s supporters.

He’s a Korean, for sure, Yifan thought, observing the young man on the ring.

Suddenly, his eyes met the fighter’s. He frowned as the fighter smirked at him and then whispered something to the MC. The man looked at Yifan and nodded to Minho.

“Wow, it seems that our fighter has another challenge for someone here.” The MC pointed at Yifan directly, “You! Choi Minho has chosen you personally to fight him! Would like to take up this challenge?”

Yifan shifted his eyes from the MC to the cocky fighter. His anger was burning as he saw the fighter mocking him directly through his eyes.

Because he had learned self-defense since he was a kid, Yifan took the challenge by climbing the ring. Almost immediately, he could hear the ‘Boo’ from the crowd. It wasn’t as if he cared anyway.

“Okay, challenger. You’ll be given 50.000 yen if you can stand more than a round. And there will be multiples as you do another round and more, although I doubt you can stand for three minutes.” The MC and the crown laughed at the lame joke which Yifan ignored.

“What if I win over him? Will you dare to give me 200.000 yen?” Yifan challenged.

He could hear some gasps and whispers from the audience. The MC looked at the Korean fighter questioningly. Minho smirked and nodded.

“Well…okay, but I don’t think you can stand for a minute exactly.” The MC chuckled.

Minho, the fighter, turned his body and sat at the corner to get himself ready. The MC pushed Yifan toward the opposite corner. Yifan slipped out of his coat and put on the bandages on his hands to protect his knuckles, even though he knew he would be defeated as long as Minho had those metals. Mentally, he reminded himself to pay attention the most to Minho’s hands.

The bell was rung. Yifan stood up from the stool and aimed the center of the ring. Minho was the first who threw a punch. Yifan could see clearly how Minho was surprised when he was dodging the punch and jumped back further.

“Nice.” Minho smirked, “I thought you would be weak.”

“You’re not a good judge.” Yifan said through his gritted teeth.

Minho threw kick to Yifan ankles. But, the challenger jumped to avoid it and kneed Minho’s left jaw. The fighter slumped down to the corner of the ring. The noisy crowd was silenced as their champion had been hit. Minho supported his body to get up with one hand while the other hand held his hurt jaw. His eyes narrowed into dangerous slits when he was getting up on his feet.

“…you’re not bad.” Minho hissed.

Another kick was thrown to the fighter. Minho fell down once again. But at that time, Yifan didn’t stop. He launched himself to straddle the other fighter’s waist and then he threw some punches right to Minho’s face. The fighter on the bottom was trying to block the punches but Yifan was too fast for him. After a few punches and Minho’s ruined face, Yifan stopped his fist, which was covered by Minho’s blood, mid-air and turned his attention to the referee.

“Aren’t you going to stop this battle?” Yifan hissed, “I could kill him.”

The referee nodded shakily and stopped the battle immediately. Yifan stood up to leave the other fighter who seemed to be drifting into unconsciousness. The MC gave the money tremblingly. Yifan snorted as he saw Minho’s supporters looking at him in such shocked states. He grabbed his coat and kissed the money before leaving the shabby building.

He had decided it once he stepped out of the building and turned around to see it once again. He would be the wild fighter to get the money.

The following night, Yifan went again to the shabby building where the match was being held. He once again stepped onto the ring and fought. And after a few weeks of fighting, Yifan was known as the champion fighter of Shinjuku. He rented a small room for himself and lived alone as a stray person.

Every day, Yifan would sleep during the noon to gain his energy for the nights. He got punched sometimes, or even kicked, and bruised all over his body, but it didn’t stop him to be the winner of the battle. Sometime he had to sleep in the shabby building where the battle ring was because he was too tired to move.

One night, he was approached by a young man in suit after his other fight.

“Hi, Yifan, right?” The handsome man smiled.

Yifan was slightly taken aback because the man was talking to him in Chinese, “Uh…yes…?”

He shook Yifan’s hand, “I’ve been watching you for a few good weeks. And I’ll straight it, that I’m interested in you.”

Yifan frowned, “What…? I don’t get it.”

“My name is Hangeng and I want to recruit you to be my fighter.”

 

-

 

Hangeng was no joke. He didn’t only bring Yifan to a higher payment battle but also trained Yifan by himself. From what Yifan had learned for three months by being Hangeng’s fighter, the battles underground were much stronger compare to the one in that previous shabby building. And Hangeng had been one of the fighters himself in the past. Yifan still didn’t know the reason why Hangeng had quit but he didn’t want to ask either. He thought it was too personal.

“Remember, Yifan I don’t want you to force yourself for this battle. Your rival is kind of…an expert in mixed martial arts. And well, I don’t expect you to win this time. But, please do your best without forcing yourself.”

Yifan nodded, “You’ve told me three times, Gege. I got it.”

“I’m just worried about you.” Hangeng sighed, ruffling Yifan’s hair, “I can’t help but consider you as my little brother.”

Brother. The word hit Yifan’s heart like a hammer. The memory of Luhan laughing at him passed his brain. He shook his head and cleared his min. He gave a sad smile as Hangeng looked at questioningly.

They got out from the locker room and headed directly toward where the ring was. Half of the supporters were cheering for him while the other part was booing him, calling him ‘bakayaro’, the Japanese slang for ‘stupid’ or ‘dumb’. He climbed on the ring and slipped off from his long coat. His rival climbed the other corner.

His rival has slightly taller and toned body. Yifan had to admit that his rival was quite handsome. His hair was black, as black as his eyes. The sides of it was trimmed short while the bangs covering his forehead. He didn’t have to use piercings, like Yifan did, to show his dark side. Yifan could guess that his rival was older than him and he could feel the intimidating aura coming out from the male on the opposite side.

“He’s known as the best.” Hangeng informed, “He’s been here for eight months, without any losses.”

“No losses?!” Yifan widened his eyes.

“That’s why I told you not to force yourself.” Hangeng patted his shoulder, “Be careful. Japanese hate to lose to ‘gaijins’ or foreigners.”

Yifan nodded and stepped to the middle of the ring after the bell had been rung. He immediately threw a side kick to his rival before getting attacked. But, his rival’s had a fast reflex. He dodged Yifan’s kick and threw a spin-kick right to Yifan’s jaw that sent him back to his corner. Yifan got up in pain.

, Yifan cursed mentally, This guy is no joke…

He rubbed his jaw and launched his right fist to his rival. But, once again, his attack was dodged. And he got another kick on his abdomen that made him kneel down, coughing. But, his rival didn’t stop there. Yifan got an elbow on his nape that made him black-out for a few seconds. And then an upper cut on his chin, making him bite into his own tongue. The blood filled his mouth. It was so strong and nauseating. He spat out his blood and used the piling to get on his feet. He was dizzy and it hadn’t been half time for the first round.

But Yifan refused to give up. He tackled the raven haired male suddenly and brought their bodies down, colliding on the hard metal surface of the ring. He raised his fist high and sent a punch to his rival’s cheek. He made it. But, it wasn’t that strong to make the slightly taller male to give up. And Yifan had drained his energy.

A hit of his rival’s elbow to the side of his head, Yifan was knocked out.

 

-

 

Yifan groaned in pain as he moved his sore body. The soft bed under his weight was telling him that he had been in his room. Hangeng had brought him back. He felt bad since it might have burdened the older male. He was about to get up when the door was suddenly opened by Hangeng. The older Chinese smiled as he saw Yifan had been awake. Hangeng had a tray on his hands, Yifan noticed there were a bottle of alcohol and cottons.

“How are you feeling?”

Yifan scrunched his face as he heard the question, “Bad.”

Hangeng chuckled, “Your fight pretty intense there.”

“Well, I wanted to win.” Yifan shrugged and slung his legs off the bed, “By the way, Gege, thanks for bringing me here.”

“Thanks to Taguchi. He helped me.” Hangeng smiled.

Yifan frowned, “And who the hell this Taguchi?”

Hangeng laughed at that, “Yifan, you really have to learn about your rival’s profile next time.”

“Wait, Ge…are you saying that this Taguchi we’re talking about was the one who knocked me out before?!”

Hangeng nodded, “He’s such a kind-hearted person.”

“He knocked me out until I fainted and feel sore all over my body.” Yifan snorted, “Yeah, of course he’s kind-hearted.”

“Come on. Don’t be that grumpy, Yifan.” Hangeng chuckled, “Are you good enough to hang out?”

Yifan raised his thick eyebrows questioningly.

“I want to take you out as a celebration for your first loss”

“It’s a weird celebration, Ge.” Yifan rolled his eyes but nodded, “But, I don’t see why not.”

“Dress nicely. We’re heading to a bar and the bouncer won’t let you in if you are not dressed neatly.”

Yifan nodded. Hangeng got up from the seat beside Yifan’s bed and was about to head out when Yifan held his wrist.

“Ge, can I use your phone?”

Hangeng nodded, “Sure. What for?”

Yifan thinned his lips and lowered his head, “I think it’s better for me to inform my brother that I’m fine…”

And then he felt Hangeng’s hand ruffling his hair, “It’s about the time, right, Fan? Here.”

Yifan smiled uneasily and received the phone. He immediately dialed the number he had always had in his wallet after Hangeng had closed the door.

A ring…two…three…but still no answer. And it got Kris frustrated.

“Luhan…please pick it up…”

 


 

soooo here it is! the first chapter of The Geisha x3

comment please~!

by the way, the one who knocked Yifan out and helped Hangeng to bring that giant is Taguchi a.k.a Junnosuke Taguchi of KAT-TUN. yeah, i love KAT-TUN also and the setting of this story is Japan, sooooo i didn't see why not. thanks to madkappa (my crazy baby girl lol) for suggesting my husband Junno for this story. and there will more of KAT-TUN's members appear later, i'll make sure to attache the photo's in the end of the chapter so you can imagine them.

by the way Junno is 190cm tall (according to madkappa) so that was why i described him as slightly taller than Yifan AND this is the photo of Junnosuke Taguchi if you wanna see ^0^:

and no, it's not Changmin from DBSK lol.