Prologue

The Geisha

 

okay, okay. i know i told you that i would update the prologue at the same time with Soul Concord's epilogue is up! i can't help but update this faster since i see so many subscribers and upvoters already. oh, God, i love you guys, i swear, if you all were here right now, i would kiss you one by one.

by the way, this prologue is sooooooooooooooooooo short. don't be mad at me >,<


                                                                                prologue


 

“Prisoner 2985, Wu Yifan, you’re free to go.”

He got up from his bed, slinging his bag on his shoulder, and walked past the officer without saying anything. He walked towards the exit and saw his foster brother smiling there.

Wu Yifan was 8 when his parents were killed in a car crash accident. Luhan’s parents, his parents’ best friends, adopted him afterwards. They raised him well without different treatment from how they raised Luhan. But, Yifan was too traumatic to smile or laugh. His face remained emotionless. However, Luhan had never abandoned him because of it.  He treated Yifan like his own younger brother despite their small . Yifan finally could smile again after those few long months.

On one rainy night when he was 18, another accident occurred. The robbers barged into their house, killing his foster parents in an instant. Taken over by rage and anger, Yifan killed both robbers right in front of a scared Luhan. His face was covered by blood and his eyes turned back to those cold ones from before.

He was jailed and dropped out from his high school. Yifan was sentenced to two years in jail for killing even though it was out of self-defense.

Then he was 20. His foster brother hugged him once he stepped out from the hell-like prison.

“You’re getting taller.” Luhan laughed.

Yifan’s lips curled up without emotion, “Guess so.”

“So, Yifan, are you ready to go home?”

Home? Yifan didn’t know how their home looked like after he had sentenced to jail. The home filled with so many memories that were cased by the bitter one. He didn’t know how to face his home again. But Yifan had been trained to keep his emotions out of his heart. He simply didn’t have one. So, he nodded and followed the shorter, but older one towards a car.

After three hours of driving Yifan finally arrived at his old home.

The house was still the same, cozy and warm. But, when they were passing the kitchen, he remembered how Luhan had been tied beside the counter. When they were passing the master room, he remembered how his parents had been killed. When they were stepping into his room, they remembered how he had killed both of the robbers. The flash of the haunting memories kept replaying in his brain like an old movie. The sirens, the ambulance, the screams, the blood, everything. Yifan’s mind was still caged by the bitter accident.

Suddenly, he dropped his knees on the ground, no longer be able to hold his feelings. Yifan cried that night, in his foster brother embrace.

He knew he couldn’t keep living with Luhan. First, because he didn’t want to be his foster brother’s burden and second, he didn’t want to live in the house with such bitter memories any longer. So, later that night when Luhan was still in the deep sleep, he wrote a letter and just left like that.

Luhan, I’m leaving. Go to auntie and live there. Don’t look for me.

-Yifan