A Bitter Goodbye

Four's A Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Daehyun knew something was wrong the moment Yoonjoo called him to meet up so suddenly at seven in the morning. He tried to shrug off the bad feeling that hung over him as he pulled on some fresh jeans and a grey sweater.

Sauntering out the house with bleary eyes, he unlocked his car and quickly got in, avoiding the cold December air. Fresh white snow was scattered on the ground, and he sighed, turning up the heat.

As he made his way to the usual cafe, he didn't turn on the radio like he would have done any other morning; he just couldn't shake off the ominous aura that the grey clouds seemed to be giving him. Or maybe it wasn't even the clouds.

Daehyun could barely notice the warm smell of freshly brewed coffee or the sweet scent of syrup being drizzled onto plates of hot waffles as he approached Yoonjoo who wore a solemn expression on her face. Today was definitely not the usual day.

"Hey", he greeted as he sat down opposite her. She only forced a smiled in response. As the waitress came over to take Daehyun's order, he opted for something a little different from his regular routine. Something sweet, to help brighten up his dreary day.

"So... what did you want to talk about?" Daehyun asked, staring at her shot of espresso. Not her typical type of drink either, he noted.

Yoonjoo paused and took a deep breath, "I-" She was interrupted as the waitress came back, placing a caramel macchiato in front of Daehyun. Once she left, he nodded at Yoonjoo for her to continue as he took a sip of his coffee.

Despite the syrup and caramel sauce, it tasted more bitter than expected. "My sister's wedding is coming up. I'm going to America in a few days". She breathed out nervously.

Daehyun didn't say anything, sensing that there was more to come.

"I'll be there for a while. I don't know how long, could be a month, could be two, maybe even a year".

Daehyun nodded. "Why?"

Looking down at her coffee, Yoonjoo shifted uncomfortably. "I think I need a break. From this. From us. From everything. I'm really sorry, but-"

"Is it because of Myungsoo?" He asked, his face expressionless. Suddenly, to Yoonjoo, the chipped wooden table became a lot more interesting. She gulped, not daring to meet his eyes. "Look at me", his voice became colder than before.

Slowly, she lifted her head, and nodded.

A long silence fell, and Daehyun took a large gulp of his coffee. The bitter taste stained his tongue unpleasantly and he sighed. "I had a feeling. I'm not dumb, I see how you look at him".

"I'm sorry", was all she could utter.

"You want to break up, right?" He added, and Yoonjoo stared at him, unable to nod. Daehyun remained calm, "when you come back... let's see how we feel then", he smiled painfully; Yoonjoo felt her heart break.

"I'm sorry", she repeated and Daehyun shook his head, letting out a sour laugh.

"I feel so stupid, but I love you, Yoonjoo. I really do, so I'll let you have your happiness", a tear rolled down Yoonjoo's cold cheek.

As Daehyun got up to leave, Yoonjoo's voice stopped him, "Don't wait for me". There was a long pause.

"I'm not going to".

 

A week flew by faster than expected and soon, Daehyun and Myungsoo found themselves helping load Yoonjoo's luggage into Daehyun's car boot. Sohye gave her best friend a tight squeeze.

"I'll miss you", she smiled sadly and Yoonjoo frowned playfully.

"I'm not going just yet, there's still the car ride", she laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

Everyone got into the car, the two guys at the front and the girls at the back. Silence ensued. The past week had been basically two things: tense and awkward. Yoonjoo tried to avoid both Myungsoo and Daehyun as much as possible, especially Myungsoo. Sohye had also tried to avoid him (which didn't work out because they share an office), Daehyun pretended not to care and Myungsoo actually didn't care.

Eventually, Daehyun some music to soften the mood and the two best friends at the back started to chat quietly.

"You'll call and write to us, right?" Sohye asked.

"Yeah. I'll get you all nice presents", she promised the three of them, even though she was only looking at Sohye. "I'll probably be busy settling in for the first month though..."

Sohye nodded, but didn't reply. Turning to the side, she watched the raindrops hit the window pane and slowly slide down. Somehow, they reminded her of tears. As she looked away, she noticed that Daehyun and Myungsoo hadn't said anything the whole journey. She was sitting behind Myungsoo and Yoonjoo was sitting behind Daehyun. As she glanced

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter