Dongho

If You Could See Me Now.

During science lesson the next day, we were all seated at our seats. I plugged in my music, blasting the speakers into my ears. So Yeon was texting and I saw the person she text with. Eli hyung. It was not a surprise since well, it was pretty obvious that Eli hyung had a thing for So Yeon and she did have the same feelings too.

I rolled my eyes, sighing in defeat and pure exhaustion as I tried to get myself interested in my science textbook in front of me before the teacher walks in. I shut the book in frustration and looked around at the rest of my classmates who were doing their own things. The class were chaotic, reminding me of wet market place. But it wasn't long until I found her, sitting at the back, a book held in front of her and her ears plugged. She looked so peaceful and relaxed, unlike me.

"Jin Ae!"

She looked up from her book as another boy came by her table and sat beside her. She smiled and laughed with the boy, making me feel jealous inside. I felt the urge to get up and take her away from there, to make her follow me and have her mine but it is still too early for it.

I watched as the boy continue to make conversation, she nodding her head and fumbling with her fingers. She wasn't even looking at him, obvious that she was not interested in the topic. But she felt my eyes staring at her and finally she looked up and stared into mine.

During that brief moment, everything around us seem to stop or slow-downed. That moment, I could simply imagined her smiling at me. I held my breath and gave her a small smile just in time to see the class quieten down and the teacher stepped in.

"Annyeong haseyo. I'm Ms. Gang and I'll be your science teacher for this whole year."

She started to write on the board a list of things we should buy and get before the next lesson. She smiled at everyone, oblivious to the fact that there is an idol in her class.

"I saw your files and noted that you are all from different backgrounds. I have made a decision to treat everyone the same like one human being. I suggest that this class should do the same to each other. Earn respect and look after each other."

She stood in front of the class, and said, "Now, I will rearrange you with new science lab partners for this whole year." She reached for the attendance list and started shifting our seats.

"So Yeon and .... Han Kyu. "

So Yeon picked up her things and gave me a little wave and walked to her seat beside a tall guy. She sat down with a sigh and secretly began texting again. I waited for my turn, which was right after So Yeon's.

"Dongho...and Jin Ae."

My heart nearly burst out of my ribcage when I heard who my lab partner would be. Hesitantly, I picked up my book and bag and walked to Jin Ae's seat at the end of the lab. She smiled shyly when I came by the table, shifting uncomfortably in her seat and tapping her pencil on the top surface. She then began making scribbles on the cover of her black notebook, oblivious to my presence.

As Ms. Gang continued shifting seats, I decide to make my first move. I in a small amount of oxygen and glanced at Jin Ae. "Annyeong haseyo. Dongho imnida." I put my hand out, trembling a little from the brief introduction.

She looked at my hand and me before saying, "I know you. You are working with my oppa....Annyeong, Jin Ae imnida." She took my trembling hand and gave it a tight squeezed.

I swore there was an electric current zapping through out skins the moment she took my hand. I almost jerk but resisted. She smiled again, a little wider this time. Oh, she is so beautiful, I thought, feeling my heart exploding.

She let go so soon, fumbling with her pencil and start to scribble again. Ms. Gang finally told us to take out our books and notebooks as she went through the first topic and made us copy down notes. I was hoping to talk more with Jin Ae but everytime I tried to, I would lose my courage to.

Finally, hearing my hopeless pleads, God gave me a chance.

Jin Ae dropped her pencil in between our seats. She cussed and bend down to get it, at the same time as I did. When we both reached for the pencil, we bumped our heads.

"Ouch." We both cried together and rubbed our sore foreheads. When we saw each other's reactions, we started to laugh, gaining the attention of Ms. Gang.

"Is there something there you would like to share with the class, Dongho and Jin Ae?"

"Ani." We said in unison, sharing another brief glance and smiling quietly to ourselves.

Another 15 minutes and the bell rung. The other students were rushing out of the lab, ignoring the first week of school homework being instructed by Ms. Gang. I held back, having to see Jin Ae taking her time to pack her bag. I was about to turn and leave when she called upon me.

"Dongho."

I whirled around, almost running back to her. I caught myself and smiled at her. "Neh?"

She held out a pencil and gave it to me. "Gomayo."

"Its okay. No problem." I said, shrugging.

She smiled and brushed past me, the strands of hair standing up on my skin. "See you around then."

As I watched her leave, I said, "See you around, Jin Ae."