ღ 1 ღ

A Ray of Hope

Taeyeon - And One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLdh3WGcMSU


Ring!

Suzy's alarm clock went off. She immediately shot up and she used her sense of touch to try and feel where she last placed it. She lost her eyesight at the age of seven. Her brother who was still an infant then had a high fever and his health was slowly deteriorating ever since. The diseases that he contracted also contributed to his lost of eyesight. Since Suzy felt that being able to witness the beautiful sunset, sunrise and starlight was enough for her, she volunteered to donate her cornea so that her brother will be able to see those picturesque scene for himself. It was a huge sacrifice that a seven year old made.

 

~~~

"Everything is going to be okay." Suzy wrapped her arms around her mother's shoulder. She buried her face into her arm and she tried to stash away her tears.

Her brother, Daehyun, was in the emergency room. Different thoughts muddled her mind. She remembered how she used to beg her parents for a younger sibling since she was the only child and she had no one to play with. Daehyun has a weak immune system since Mrs. Bae almost had a miscarriage and this affected the baby's health.

"Umma, don't cry." Suzy finally looked up, she took a good look at her mom who was busy weeping.

She stretched her hand out and she wiped away the tear that was rolling down her mother's cheek. Afterwards, she reached out to smack a kiss on her mother's cheek.

"Suzy-ah. I'm so blessed to have a daughter like you." Mrs. Bae gave her daughter an amicable smile.

Suzy beamed in response, she scooted closer to her mother and she gave her a tight embrace. Hugs were invented to let people know you love them without having to say anything. That was what Suzy was doing then. She couldn't find the right words to say that will comfort her mother so instead she decided to give her a hug instead. To let her know that she will not leave her side.

"Umma, let's pray. I know God will help us. I know he will." Suzy looked up and she tugged at her mother's sleeve.

Suzy's mentality was too mature for a seven year old. But that was what made her special. Her mother clasped Suzy's clammy hands. She motioned for Suzy to close her eyes and pray. The two prayed silently in their heads. Since Daehyun was in a critical condition, all they could do was pray and wait.

~~~

"Umma I'm already awake!" Suzy called out.

She would always dutifully inform her parents whenever she wake up from her slumber. It has been a part of her daily routine ever since she lost her sense of sight. She's not able to attend a public school because she was visually impaired and so she would always wait for her private tutor dutifully every day. He would always arrive at noon since he has to attend school. Suzy's family was not financially stable so they could only hire a top student to teach her. She did not mind though.

Tok Tok Tok

Suzy heard the familiar knock on the door. It was the same beat that her tutor would always use so that she would be able to recognize him.

"Come in!" she welcomed him with a gleeful tone.

"How have you been Suzy?" he lightly tousled her hair.

"I feel so energetic today since I had 12 hours of sleep!" she even threw her hands in the air to show her tutor how cheerful she was.

"Let's start, shall we?" he placed his bag on the couch and he sat beside Suzy.

He held her hand and he directed it to her braille book. She felt every dents and bumps. A tiny smile would always grace upon her lips whenever her tutor holds her hand.

"You should try reading it aloud." he suggested.

"I miss you..." she mumbled under her breath.

"Pardon?"

Silence shrouded them.

"I-I miss my brother that's all. The two of you share the same name you see." she bit her lower lip.

Daehyun gulped in a mouthful of air and exhaled loudly, loud enough for Suzy to hear. "I see."

"I'm sorry if I'm overreacting today. Today's his death anniversary. I tried my best to be optimistic but I just can't." tears started welling up in her eyes. She was facing the piano in her living room. Her hands were suddenly idle.

Daehyun sighed and he turned to look at her. She was staring out of space as usual. The black sunglasses that she always wore hid her beautiful pair of eyes. She doesn't like it whenever someone tries to fiddle with it. But Daehyun wanted to take the risk, somehow. He slowly twirled the pen between his finger and he waited for the right time for him to take off Suzy's glasses.

"Hey Suzy, want to hear a piano piece?" he tried to distract her.

"Sure!" she sniffled.

He slowly released his grip on her hand and he tucked the stray strand of hair behind her ear. Then, he slowly pulled the sunglasses away from her nose bridge. Her beautiful crescent eyes were revealed in just an instant. Daehyun gaped at her.

"W..What are you doing?" Suzy spoke through her trembling lips.

Daehyun kept his mouth shut. He got up from his seat and he reached out to hold Suzy's hand. He interlaced his fingers with hers as a sign of reassurance. He slowly guided her to the piano that was standing across them.

"I'll play the piano for you. Hopefully, it will make you feel better." he said as he slowly directed her to sit on the chair provided.

Suzy sat with her back straight and her fists into balls. She was nervous and she did not know the reason why.

Daehyun pressed the keys and he played a melodic piano piece. His voice complimented the piece well and soon Suzy was swaying to the music.


A beguiling smile formed on Suzy's lips as she recalled what Daehyun did for her hours ago. It was etched in her mind. She lay on the bed with her folded arms resting on her tummy. She shuffled her legs in the air. A shrewd wind blew and it entered her room. It suddenly became chilly since she left her window open. It was also the nature's way of informing her that it's time to go to sleep.

She wrapped herself in a blanket and let out a yawn. Just when she was about to rest her head on the pillow, someone with a fruity voice started humming a song. It was loud enough for Suzy to hear from her bedroom. Soon, the person started singing in an audible tone.

♫ Do you remember me, who was easily scarred, easily cried, easily got hurt? ♫
-Taeyeon; And One