Donghae

Miss Interpreter

D O N G H A E

Yoona-sshi’s eyes looked like they were about to pop out of their sockets and choke me. “The m-mall?”

I nodded. I said it clearly didn’t I? Maybe I didn’t so I repeated myself. “Yes, I want to go to the mall. Shopping.”

She chuckled out loud and muttered something in Dokbayonese while shaking her head. I thought she was going to walk out on me and leave me right then and there. But then she said, “Alright, let’s go. But I have to be home by eight o’clock.” 

~~~

Soon, we found ourselves walking through the automatic doors of Tropical Plaza in the heart of Dokbayo’s shopping district. According to Yoona-sshi, it was the largest mall they’ve got. But the place was only half the size of the smallest mall in Seoul.

However, I was relieved to see high end stores like Salvatore Ferragamo and Giorgio Armani.  I immediately stepped into a nearby Louis Vuitton store but stopped when I realized that Yoona-sshi wasn’t behind me anymore. I glanced back and saw that she was outside, standing casually and texting someone on her cell phone. I thought she was going to help me get around. My English isn’ t all that perfect. How am I supposed to tell the salesperson that I’d like a navy blue plaid scarf?

I marched towards Yoona-sshi.

“Hey, you coming with me?” I asked anxiously, desperately.

She ignored me and continued texting. Her cell phone looked about three years old and paint was chipping off its sides. The numbers on the keypads were fading and the screen was covered with so many scratches. Finally, with a smile on her face, she pressed the “send” button. My curiosity tickled me at that time. I wanted to ask who it was she was texting and why was she smiling so much when she looked up at me with those killer eyes, her smile disappearing. “You want me to come with you inside?”

I nodded.

She peered into the shop, frowned a bit and shrugged. “Alright…”

As I was browsing through the scarves and the blazers, I realized that Yoona-sshi walked very cautiously as if she was in a porcelain shop. It was probably her first time inside a luxury store like this.

I smiled to myself. What if…?

“Yoona-sshi,” I called out after I had picked out the perfect scarf (navy blue with gray checkers).

“Yoona what? Sshi?” she asked narrowing her brows.

I led her to the ladies’ section of the store. “Please wait here. I will go to the bathroom.”

I went to the bathroom alright, but I came out a second or two after. As expected, Yoona-sshi was browsing through some blouses. She took out a pink one with small bows at the sleeves, smiled to herself and put it back on the rack. When she saw me nearing her, she tilted her head up again – like a mobster “You’re done?”

“Yes, I will pay now,” I replied, glancing at the pink blouse. “Please wait for me outside.”

~~~

By six thirty, we’ve been to four luxury stores and I was carrying six shopping bags. This was all thanks to Yoona-sshi who painstakingly translated my clothing preferences into Dokbayonese so the salesladies could understand better. As we were walking, I received a lot of curious and admiring stares from people – most of them from women and girls who’d giggle right after we’d pass them. I guess I still had my charms after all. But why is Yoona-sshi so unaffected?

I glanced back at her. She refused to walk beside me. She was either ahead or behind me and she was looking everywhere except at me.

Finally, we passed by what looked like an optical shop judging from the display of sunglasses and other kinds of eyewear on their shop front.  I stopped and looked at the store, wondering how I was going to ask Yoona-sshi if she wanted to go in. You know, to see if her vision was alright.

“What’s wrong?” she asked when she realized I’d stopped walking. She followed my gaze to the shop. “Oh, you want to go in?”

I nodded.

The saleslady greeted us with a smile. She spoke in English, “Good evening. How can I help you, ma’am? Would you like sunglasses? Eyeglasses? Contact lenses? Or would you like to have your vision tested?”

My heart was pounding. Thank God this saleslady was so talkative. She did the work for me.

However, when Yoona-sshi answered, I had to stop my jaw from dropping to the ground. “Oh no, thanks. I have perfect vision. 20-20. He’s the one who needs help.”

She jammed her thumb towards me. The saleslady looked expectedly at me. I stuttered, “N-never mind.”

With that, we walked out of the store.

I couldn’t believe it. 20-20 vision? Maybe she was lying. How can she have perfect vision but still be immune to my charms? Doesn’t she know that I have tens of thousands of fangirls all around the world who’d faint at the sight of me?

“So where to next?” Yoona-sshi asked wearily.

I didn’t answer. Instead, I gazed at her for a moment – her compelling eyes, her egg-shaped face, her worn jacket, her ragged shoes. She said she wanted to go home at eight, right? Well, it was only six forty five. I still have more than an hour and I better make the most of it.

So I walked on and she followed. We kept on walking until the mouthwatering aroma of roasted chicken wafted in the air. We were now standing in front of The Old Cabin Rotisserie.

“We’ll eat dinner,” I declared.