Donghae

Miss Interpreter

 

D O N G H A E

During the days that followed, living became a chore for me. I had a hard time falling asleep. All I could think of was Yoona. Is she asleep already? Is she warm and safe in her apartment? I’d listen to the rain as it’d pitter patter on the rooftop and wonder if it was raining in Dokbayo, too.

Dokbayo, where Yoona is…

I sighed.

Sometimes, I just didn’t bother sleeping.

Manager Kim has approached me twice and asked – no, commanded – that I get a medical check-up.

“You’re definitely not doing drugs?” he asked with a sneer.

I’d just shake my head glumly.

Not unless you consider love as a drug.

~~~

A couple of days later, all of Super Junior M were called to the big conference room at the second floor of our dormitory. At first, I was afraid that it has something to do with me. But judging by the look on my friends’ faces, it must be something pleasant.

When we arrived, Manager Kim was already sitting at the head of the table leafing through a music magazine. He beamed at us and gestured for us to take our seats.

“Good morning, Super Junior M,” he welcomed us after everyone was seated. “First, I want to congratulate you for a job well done. You have topped the charts for four consecutive weeks now.”

We all gave ourselves a warm round of applause. Someone (I think it was Sungmin) even whistled.

“Of course, all good works must be rewarded –“ the manager didn’t even get to finish when another round of applause thundered throughout the room. I was excited, too. So I drummed my fists on the table.

“Everyone!” Manager Kim looked agitated. “Everyone calm down or I won’t tell you anything.”

Immediately, the applause died down and the room fell into a suspenseful silence.

The manager took advantage of the tension and cleared his throat dramatically. “As I was saying, all good works must be rewarded. So, SM Entertainment decided to give all of you a week’s vacation in Europe.”

The cheers that followed resounded throughout the whole building and washed out into the streets of Taipei.

~~~

I couldn’t remember the last time we took a trip to Europe. It was only a year ago, was it? Or was it two?

I scratched my head that night as I lay in bed.

All I could think of was that the management was giving us a week off. No interviews. No concerts. No fan-signing events. No commercial films. No TV and radio appearances. Nothing. We have the week to ourselves.

And what better way to waste that week by going on a trip to Europe.

I’m not going to Europe.

No.

I’m going to Dokbayo.

~~~

I opened my bag and double checked my requirements.

Visa? Check.

Passport? Check.

Plane ticket? Check.

iPod? Check.

I was at the airport, waiting for the 7a.m. flight to Dokbayo. Outside, the sun was a glowing orange ball of fire rising up from the distant hills. The rain just stopped and the world was radiant and glistening.

Good morning Taipei.

I gazed at the horizon. The rest of Super Junior M will probably leave for Europe later this afternoon. I hope they got the note I left them.

I’m sorry I won’t be able to join you. Enjoy anyway and please bring home some chocolates. Love you guys, Fishy.”

Suddenly, my phone began to ring. I slid it out of my pocket. “Hello?”

“Hae?” It sounded like Siwon. “Look up.”

I did.  

And there they were.

Super Junior M stood in front of me, all dressed and ready to go, with luggage in hand.

“I – I thought you guys … Europe…” I stammered as I turned off my phone.

Eunhyuk laughed. “Do you think we’re going to let you keep the drama and the fun to yourself?”

“We’re going to help you win your girl,” said Henry.

“You obviously need our guidance,” Ryeowook added. “You get yourself into heaps of trouble if you’re by yourself.”

“We sold our Europe tickets for double the price,” Kyuhyun said, sporting a menacing grin.

I laughed and soon, there were tears in my eyes. “Guys, thank you.”

“Come on! We’re boarding!” Zhou Mi pointed out. The other passengers were already lining up.

“Dokbayo, here we go!” Sungmin exclaimed.

That’s right. Yoona, here I come.