[ Five ]

Age Doesn't Matter

 

The next day at school, Baekhyun and Taeyeon never saw each other until the last period of the day. Taeyeon was having her music lesson, as she continued to compose her song for her coursework project. Unlike her other classmates who liked to work in groups, she locked herself in one of the soundproof rooms. At the same time, Baekhyun walked into the music room to talk to his teacher about his own project as well. He heard someone singing and was unconsciously attracted.

 

‘’Teacher, who’s voice is that?’’ Baekhyun couldn’t help asking.

 

‘’Oh, that must be Taeyeon.’’ Another male senior student said as he walked past Baekhyun.

 

‘’Taeyeon, as in Kim Taeyeon sunbae?’’

 

‘’Yes, she’s my best student here. Very quiet, but very talented.’’ The teacher smiled. ‘’Anyways it’s alright Baekhyun. You can use the music room after school for your project. But take good care of the instruments please.’’

 

Baekhyun nodded. ‘’Thank you. I’ll be leaving now.’’

 

Baekhyun headed out to the door when he passed by a room to see Taeyeon sitting in front of a piano, singing whilst writing supposedly lyrics on a sheet of paper. Baekhyun stopped and couldn’t help but feel mesmerized at how beautiful Taeyeon’s voice was, or how attractive she looked when she looked so serious. He smiled and watched intently, until he realized Taeyeon was about to leave the room. The door opened, and Taeyeon widened her eyes when she saw Baekhyun standing in front of her.

 

“Bae-baekhyun, what are you doing here?’’

 

‘’Hi noona. I came in to talk to my music teacher. You’re free after school today yes?’’

 

‘’Ye-yes I am.’’

 

‘’Good. We can start doing the project today. I’ll see you after school here in the music room.’’ He smiled and waved at Taeyeon as he hurriedly left the room.

 

Taeyeon was about to wave back, but Baekhyun was too fast for her. She smiled as she watched him leave. How cute.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

When school ended, Taeyeon stayed in the music room to wait for Baekhyun. She closed her eyes as she played on the piano whilst she sang an old favourite of hers. Or well, a song that used to be her Jiyong oppa’s favourite.

 

I'm so sorry but I love you da geojitmal

I’m so sorry, but I love you, it’s all a lie.

Iya mollasseo ijeya arasseo nega piryohae

I didn’t know, but I know now that I need you.

I'm so sorry but I love you nalkaroun mal

I’m so sorry, but I love you, out of anger.

Hwatgime nado moreuge neol tteonabonaetjiman

I pushed you away with those piercing words without realizing.

I'm so sorry but I love you da geojitmal

I’m so sorry, but I love you, it’s all a lie.

I'm so sorry

But I love you

I'm so sorry but I love you nareul tteona

I’m so sorry, but I love you, will you leave

Cheoncheonhi ijeojullae

and forget me slowly,

Naega apahal su itge

so I can be in pain?

 

‘’That was beautiful.’’

 

Taeyeon abruptly stopped and quickly opened her eyes.

 

“Aish, Baekhyun. You scared me!’’

 

Taeyeon left the piano to grab a chair as Baekhyun proceeded to do the same. ‘’Sorry noona. But you’re really good!’’ He chuckled.

 

Taeyeon shook her head. ‘’No no, I just like it. I’m not particularly good really. Anyways, I think you owe me an explanation of what we’re doing today?’’

 

‘’Oh right! Sorry. Well basically I’m doing a duet for my music project, a song that I composed and arranged. I was hoping that you could sing with my other friend, who’s also in my music class. He should be coming, so we can just wait for a while.’’ Baekhyun smiled.

 

Taeyeon nodded as she sipped her water, staring at the floor. Well, this is awkward.

 

Baekhyun broke the silence first. ‘’So Noona, have you know Yuri noona for a long time?’

 

‘’Oh well, I guess. We met each other in the first year of high school here.’’

 

‘’You guys must be so close, since she talks a lot about you. We all know about you.’’ Baekhyun smiled.

 

Taeyeon was surprised. ‘’What has that Yuri been saying? Aish…’’

 

‘’Everything, I guess?’’ Baekhyun winked and laughed. ‘’Like…’’ he suddenly stopped laughing.

 

‘’Yeah?’’

 

‘’Yuri noona mentioned to me that she really values you as a friend because she said she once hurt you really bad…and that you two didn’t start off as best friends.’’

 

‘’Wow, she told you that too?’’ Taeyeon raised her eyebrows.

 

‘’Well I hope you don’t get mad. She was just a bit upset when she said she missed you during camp, much more than she missed her parents. We had a talk and she mentioned that to me…’’

 

‘’Oh. That’s alright. I guess…Yuri and I go a long way.’’

 

Baekhyun waited.

 

Taeyeon glanced up. ‘’Do you want to know? I never really told anyone about this.’’

 

‘’Well, of course it’s your choice noona. I don’t mind.’’ Baekhyun responded with another smile.

 

Taeyeon smiled back. ‘’As stupid as it may sound, it was all because of a guy. I had a childhood best friend, an oppa called Jiyong. Yuri and I met on the first day of school, and my oppa who was a sunbae here at that time met Yuri too. The truth is; I’ve liked Jiyong oppa ever since I was young. But when Jiyong oppa met Yuri, I think he fell in love with her. Although I’ve hinted to Yuri before that I like Jiyong oppa, I don’t think she ever got the message. I watched them go on dates, study together, dance together, and the worst thing for me back then was that he invited Yuri to be his partner for his senior graduation prom, instead of me. But then again, he liked her and not me.’’ Taeyeon sighed.

 

Baekhyun nodded. ‘’I’m listening, noona.’’

 

‘’So it was also that night where they officially became a couple. They both called me to share the news, but I was in fact devastated. From then on, I avoided them as much as I could. Maybe that’s why people saw me as cold and unfriendly, because I didn’t talk to anyone. I just spent my days studying hard and playing music. The two of them were probably too in love so they didn’t mind me either.’’

 

‘’Noona…’’

 

‘’I’m alright, Baekhyun. Don’t give me that pitying look.’’ She chuckled.

 

‘’So where is he now?’’

 

‘’He left for university just last year; I think he’s in the States right now. But we haven’t contacted each other ever since he left. They broke up too, a few weeks before he left for university. It was weird between me and Yuri. But we bumped into each other one day over the summer, and I guess I learned to just let it go. We’re now best friends, and she means a lot to me.’’ Taeyeon glanced at Baekhyun. ‘’I hope I didn’t bore you there. It's weird, but I feel comfortable talking to you about this.’’

 

‘’No, it was really interesting, well good for me to learn more about Yuri noona…and you, of course.’’

 

‘’You don’t need to mention any of this to Yuri, because well, it’s not entirely a good memory? She still feels guilty today, but I try not to talk about it.’’

 

‘’Don’t worry noona, I won’t.’’

 

‘’So…where’s your friend?’’

 

Baekhyun clapped his hands. ‘’Oh right. It’s been such a long time now…I’ll call him.’’

 

Baekhyun quickly took his phone out and dialed a number. ‘’Yah Kyungsoo ah, where are you? What. No way. Oh okay then. Hope things are alright, I’ll see you tomorrow hopefully. Yeah, no worries. Bye.’’

 

‘’He’s not coming?’’

 

Baekhyun nodded. ‘’Sorry noona. One of his relatives suddenly passed away, he’s heading over for the funeral and all that. I think we might have to do this another time. Sorry for wasting your time!’’

 

Taeyeon shook her head. ‘’No, I don’t think I wasted my time. It was nice talking to you.’’

 

‘’Me too, noona.’’ He smiled and walked over to pat Taeyeon’s head. ‘’You’re so short noona, it’s really cute.’’ He laughed as he turned around to gather his things.

 

Taeyeon touched her head, feeling the area where he just patted. Calm down, Tae. It was justa friendly gesture, why are you so nervous?

 

‘’Shall we go now?’’ he stood up again.

 

Taeyeon nodded. ‘’Ye-yeah. Let’s go.’’

 

Baekhyun opened the door for Taeyeon and she nodded to thank him. ‘’I’ll walk you home, noona. Or we can go for a drink? I feel like I owe you for using so much of your time.’’

 

Yes please!

 

‘’Um well, it’s fine. I guess Starbucks would be fine.’’ Baekhyun nodded and walked next to Taeyeon.

 

‘’Let’s get out of here then.’’