[ Four ]

Age Doesn't Matter

 

‘’Wow Fantastic Baby, dance~~’’

 

Taeyeon woke up from her daydreaming to the sound of her phone. She reached for it from her bag to see her best friend’s name on the screen.

 

‘’Hello Yul?’’

 

‘’Hey Tae! I just finished my dance practice, but I realized I forgot my keys. My parents won’t be home yet so-‘’

 

Taeyeon chuckled. ‘’Yeah, you can come take a shower.’’

 

Yuri burst out laughing. ‘’How did you know? Thanks, I’ll be there in 10.’’

 

‘’Alright, see you.’’ Taeyeon smiled as she hung up.

 

With one last look at the photo on her bedside table, she stretched her arms and headed to the kitchen for a drink and some snacks for Yuri. I wonder how you are doing, oppa.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

10 minutes later, the doorbell of Taeyeon’s house rang. She rushed over to open the door, revealing a very sweaty Yuri with her hair all over the place. The girls laughed as they stared at each other for a few moments.

 

‘’Sorry, I know I’m not very appealing…’’

 

Taeyeon shook her head and smiled. ‘’Very attractive. Anyways, just help yourself for your shower, I’ll be in the kitchen.’’

 

‘’Thank you thank you! I’m so desperate for one.’’ Taeyeon chuckled as she watched Yuri sprint into her room, and she closed her front door.

 

A while later, Yuri appeared in the kitchen with a towel wrapped around her head as she sat down next to Taeyeon on the counter table.

 

‘’I saw that photo.’’ Yuri spoke as she put a strawberry in .

 

Taeyeon looked up from her drink. ‘’What photo?’’

 

‘’The photo…of the three of us. I accidentally dropped it, it was then I realized you still kept it on your bedside table.’’

 

‘’Oh, that. Well, it’s a nice photo of us. It was a good memory.’’ Taeyeon smiled as she ate another berry.

 

‘’Tae…’’ Yuri held Taeyeon’s wrist and stared at her. ‘’Are you still mad at me?’’

 

Taeyeon kept silent for a while, but eventually patted her hand on Yuri’s. ‘’Don’t be silly, Yul. It’s the past now. You and I are best friends, why would I be?’’

 

Yuri smiled. ‘’Yeah, I knew you wouldn’t be. I’m still sorry though.’’

 

‘’Don’t be. Forget about it, yeah? Eat up! You must be hungry.’’

 

Yuri simply nodded and continued to finish the snacks Taeyeon prepared, whilst Taeyeon silently sipped on her drink as she remembered her past with Kwon Yuri and Kwon Jiyong.

 

Flashback: Taeyeon’s Third Year at High School

“Hello?” Taeyeon picked up her cell phone as she was doing her homework.

 

“Tae? You’re at home right? Can you open the door?”

 

Taeyeon straightened up. “Jiyong oppa?”

 

“Yes, Tae! Come on, open up! I have important news.”

 

Taeyeon nodded slowly. “Coming.” She left her phone on the table as she walked out to the front door, revealing a Jiyong who was tapping his foot impatiently, but broke into a wide smile as he saw Taeyeon.

 

“Tae! Come on, I need to tell you something. You have to be the first one to know.” He walked straight towards her room as he dragged her along. Taeyeon who was confused with Jiyong’s happy attitude sat down in her chair, as Jiyong comfortably sat on Taeyeon’s bed. Taeyeon watched as Jiyong closed his eyes to take in a deep breath. He smiled at her and cleared his throat.

 

“Taeyeon…”

 

Taeyeon’s heart was thumping loud. What news could it be…? Has oppa finally realized that he loves me too?

 

“Yes oppa…” Taeyeon whispered.

 

“Okay. Well. Just now, I. Well. Oh god this is so hard. But you have to be the first one to know, so I literally just ran all the way here. I…asked Yuri on a date.”

 

WHAT? Oh my god.

 

Taeyeon’s mouth was hanging open; she was too shocked, too surprised and too disappointed to say anything.

 

“And..?” she managed to ask after a few moments.

 

“She said YES! Oh Tae I’m so happy!”

 

Taeyeon felt hot tears threatening to escape from her eyes. But she coughed and sniffed to prevent that from happening.

 

“Tae, are you crying? What’s wrong?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head and looked down at the floor. “Nothing oppa…”

 

“Are you upset that I didn’t tell you earlier that I like Yuri? I’m sorry!! I really just wanted to make sure that my plan would work before it seemed too embarrassing. Sorry Tae, forgive me!” Jiyong stood up and attempted to hug Taeyeon, but Taeyeon gently pushed him away as she stood up too.

 

“Sorry oppa, I don’t feel very well right now. I’m going to head to the washroom.” Without another word, she dashed to the bathroom and locked herself in. Then, she was finally able to pour out all the feelings she held it for the past 10 minutes and cried her heart out, sobbing as quietly as she could so Jiyong wouldn’t hear her.

 

A few moments later, someone knocked on the door.

 

“Tae? Are you feeling alright? Should I get you to the doctor’s?”

 

Taeyeon wiped away her tear stains and cleared . “Don’t worry oppa! Don’t you have to go check on your mom tonight? I’ll be alright. Besides, mom will be home soon.” She tried to act as cheerful and as normal as possible.

 

Silence filled the air. Taeyeon held her breath as she waited for Jiyong to speak.

 

“Alright then. Text me if there’s anything alright? You know I’ll be at the hospital. And I’m sorry again for not telling you earlier, Tae.”

 

“Oppa you’re silly. It’s alright! Thanks…for telling me first. Good luck…with Yuri.”

 

“Thanks Tae. I’ll see you tomorrow!”

 

“See you oppa!” Taeyeon waited until she heard her front door shut, and then she slowly walked out of the washroom to confirm that Jiyong left when she saw him walking along the pavement.

 

Jiyong oppa…I waited for 6 years…how can you not notice?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

After Yuri left, Taeyeon headed back to her room to find a text message from an unknown number.

 

To: Taeyeon Noona

 

Hi Noona, this is Baekhyun! I hope you don’t mind – I got your number from Yuri noona. I heard from Yuri noona that you take music at school too and your voice is really good. I’m doing a project for music too and I need a girl vocal….can you help me? ^^ please??

 

From: Baekhyun

 

Taeyeon chuckled. Aish, that Yuri…

 

She considered for a while as she stared at the message, and finally typed in a reply.

 

To: Baekhyun

 

My voice isn’t that good! But if it won’t take much time, sure. I’ll try my best to help.

 

From: Taeyeon

 

The front door opened, and Taeyeon heard her mom calling for dinner. She was about to leave the room as another message came through her phone.

 

To: Taeyeon Noona

 

THANK YOU! ^^ you’re the best, noona!

 

From: Baekhyun

 

Taeyeon smiled and felt her heart beating fast. For some really strange reason, Byun Baekhyun had a huge effect on her. And she still didn’t understand why.