[ Three ]

Age Doesn't Matter

 

 

Taeyeon raised her eyebrows. ‘’Oh, well depends. I mean, if I can help, then I definitely will.’’

 

‘’Alright. I haven’t told anyone about this yet…but well, I heard that Yuri noona’s birthday is coming up…’’

 

Taeyeon was surprised. So he’s interested in Yuri?

 

‘’Yes, it is. It’s this weekend. What about it?’’ Taeyeon patiently waited for his reason.

 

Taeyeon saw him gulp. ‘’I want to get Yuri noona the best birthday present.’’

 

Taeyeon blinked a few times before finally registering what the younger boy just said. ‘’Well that’s very nice of you.’’ She smiled. ‘’It seems like you guys have gotten really close.’’

 

Baekhyun chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck again. ‘’I guess so. I mean, I really like talking to Yuri noona, and she took great care of me during camp last week…anyways, I was wondering if you could help me think of what I can get her for her birthday?’’

 

Taeyeon nodded. ‘’Well I don’t really know how to give you advice on this, but I’m sure she’ll like anything you give her. It’s the thought that matters after all.’’

 

He continued to walk next to Taeyeon for a few more minutes as he was deep in thought about Yuri’s present, when Taeyeon stopped walking again.

 

‘’Well, I’m here.’’

 

He turned to look at Taeyeon, and at the house behind her. ‘’Wow, your house is very nice noona.’’

 

‘’Thanks.’’ She chuckled. ‘’Hope you find a nice present for Yuri, don’t worry too much. I’ll be going now.’’ She waved at Baekhyun and turned around to head in when Baekhyun stopped her again.

 

‘’Noona…’’

 

She looked back at him as Baekhyun looked down at the floor, his feet shuffling uncomfortably.

 

‘’Do you think…’’

 

Taeyeon tilted her head in confusion. ‘’Think…?’’

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath. ‘’doyouthinkYurinoonalikesyoungerboys?’’

 

Yuri, boys? Do you think Yuri has a lot of boys? Taeyeon frowned and laughed. ‘’I couldn’t quite catch what you just said, can you say it again?’’

 

He looked down again, and repeated his words slowly. ‘’I said…do you think Yuri noona likes younger boys?’’

 

Oh. ‘’Wait…’’ Now Taeyeon was properly facing him again. ‘’Is there a younger boy crushing on Yuri?’

 

‘’Well…oh nevermind. Forget I even said it! I’ll see you at school noona!’’ In a matter of a few seconds, Baekhyun already dashed off, leaving Taeyeon at her front door, stunned.

 

As she slowly walked towards her house, her heart felt heavy and there was something that somehow bothered her. Until she reached her room, she realized. Maybe Baekhyun likes Yuri. The thought of that possibility bothered Taeyeon very much, but she couldn’t quite understand why she was so conscious about Yuri and this boy’s relationship.

 

Taeyeon fell on top of her bed as she looked at the photo on the table next to her bed. It was the first picture Taeyeon and Yuri took when they met in the first year of high school. She sighed and rolled on her bed to look at her ceiling.

 

‘’It’s always Yuri getting all the boys. No matter how old they are.’’ She whispered to herself.

 

Flashback: First Year of High School

Taeyeon was patiently waiting at the front gate of her new school, desperately looking around to find the person she was waiting for. At that moment, a girl who was a little taller than her with long black hair bumped into her.

 

‘’Oh I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you!’’ the girl quickly apologized and picked up the book Taeyeon was holding. She dusted the cover of the book, before returning it to Taeyeon with a sunshine-like smile.

 

‘’I’m Yuri, nice to meet you.’’

 

Taeyeon took the book back from Yuri and nodded. ‘’My name is Taeyeon. Nice to meet you too.’’

 

‘’Hope to see you around in school! I have to rush off to the washroom now.’’ Yuri chuckled. She waved at Taeyeon and quickly dashed into school.

 

Taeyeon watched as Yuri left, still shocked about how friendly a stranger can be. Just then, someone hugged her from the back.

 

‘’Sorry, Tae. I woke up late!’’

 

Taeyeon breathed in the person’s fragrance and immediately knew who it was. She smiled as she turned around to meet eyes with her childhood best friend and 3-year-long-crush, Kwon Jiyong.

 

‘’Oppa, I was worried.’’ Taeyeon crossed her arms and pretended to be angry.

 

Jiyong chuckled as he ruffled her hair. ‘’Sorry, I know you must be nervous since it’s your first day of school. Come on, I’ll lead you around. Since I am, after all, your sunbae.’’ He offered his hand, and Taeyeon happily laced her fingers into his.

 

Jiyong and Taeyeon have been childhood friends ever since they were born as their mothers were very good friends. As they were both born to be a single child in their families, Jiyong became the older brother Taeyeon never had and she became the younger sister for him. They would always be there for each other, and would always talk to each other first if anything happened – just like when Taeyeon’s father passed away, or when Jiyong’s mother was diagnosed with cancer, they would always stay by each other’s side. Although they were still young at that time, Taeyeon slowly suspected that the feelings she had for her Jiyong oppa were beyond ‘’friends’’. For 3 years, Taeyeon hoped that her Jiyong oppa would feel the same way too. And maybe very soon, she would become brave enough to confess her feelings. But that didn’t matter to Taeyeon yet because until then, everything was perfect. That was what she thought. Until they met Kwon Yuri.

 

‘’So here’s the cafeteria, and that’s the soccer pitch. The library is on the other side, but I can bring you there next time. You need to get to registration in your form room now. Let me see your schedule Tae.’’

 

Taeyeon nodded as she reached into her bag and pulled out her schedule to hand it to Jiyong. Jiyong scanned through the piece of paper and smiled as he offered his hand to her again. ‘’It’s the other way, I’ll take you there.’’ Taeyeon nodded and followed Jiyong as she continued to stare at their intertwined hands.

 

As Jiyong approached a classroom, he gestured Taeyeon to head inside. ‘’Good luck, Tae. I’ll probably see you at lunch? We can meet at the cafeteria.’’ He smiled.

 

Taeyeon was just about to reply when a girl approached the door and bumped into Jiyong.

 

‘’Oh I’m so sorry!’’ the girl looked up and Taeyeon realized it was Yuri, the friendly girl she met earlier.

 

Yuri realized this too and immediately broke into a smile. ‘’Taeyeon? You’re in the same class as me? Daebak!’’

 

Jiyong glanced at both girls before smiling. ‘’I guess you’ve socialized well, Tae. With such a pretty girl too.’’

 

Yuri heard this and blushed. ‘’It’s nice to meet you. Sorry for bumping into you just now…’’

 

‘’I’m Kwon Jiyong. I’m a year above you two.’’

 

Yuri bowed slightly. ‘’Nice to meet you Jiyong sunbae, my name is Kwon Yuri.’’

 

‘’Well then, you girls better get in there before your teacher comes. Good luck for your first day!’’ he hugged Taeyeon and patted Yuri’s shoulder before leaving.

 

‘’Come on, let’s go Taeyeon!’’ Yuri held Taeyeon’s hand as she led her into the classroom.

 

Meanwhile, Taeyeon was very disappointed and confused. Especially about this new girl she just met. Oppa…how can you call her pretty when you just met her? You never said I’m pretty…