The Preparation

What Makes a Rock Star

She made her way upstairs. I gulped and was about to complain.        

 

“Oh! By the way!” She said all of a sudden and giddily starts her way back to me. “Sorry. I forgot the properly introduce myself. I’m Jung Jessica, the only daughter of the owner of the biggest law firm in my Korea. Nice to meet you.” 

 

Yeah baby. I'm doomed.


 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 4

(The Preparation)


 

“What in the freaking world are those?”

 

“Ahhmmm, it’s your get up?” Jessica said like it’s really obvious what they are.

 

I looked at her questioningly and back at the hideous outfits laid at the table. The corner of my mouth began to twitch in annoyance. “Are you saying that I will wear those? ME? KWON YURI?”

 

“Yup.” She nodded to herself, eyes focused on the outfit in utmost concentration, her arms crossed. “What’s wrong? You don’t like them?”

 

“Hell no!!! I’m not a freaking fashion terrorist!”

 

“Look we’ve been through this, haven’t we?! If you’re going to help me win, I need you to practice with me at school! To do that I need to make you pretend as a student in our school and I won’t be able to do that if you walk around looking like the epitome of Korean rock music!!!” 

 

“But that doesn’t mean I need to look like a total loser!!! I mean look at these?” I pinched the edge of the clothes and raised it up for her to see. Just the feeling of the clothes made me want to curl my fingers. “These are ugly!! UUGGG!!! LLLYYY!!'' I shouted in disgust and threw them back to the bed.

 

“What’s wrong with these?! You know what? You’re just being too picky! That’s the problem with you!”

 

“I ain’t picky! I mean, looked at that! Maybe you should wear them! Let’s see if you look pretty!”

 

“They’re man's clothes for god’s sake! I won’t wear them! Stop whining, will you!”

 

“And look at this! Why the hell do I need a Bowl Cut wig! I looked stupid enough with those clothes and you want me to wear this?!”

 

“Stop complaining! You want to know why you need that? Because of the total population of Korea, you belong to that 0.00001 percent who’s only 21 and already balding!”

 

“I’m not balding!”

 

“Then why is your hair so thin!”

 

“It’s my freakin hairstyle, Pabo!”

 

“Whatever! My schoolmates will surely know it’s you when they see your hair! And you have a bandage to take care of! No one should see that! It’ll only get more attention.”

 

“Even if you change my hair and make me wear these freaky clothes, they will recognize me. I’m the hottest man in Korea for God’s sake!”

 

“Wow! Who told you that? Maybe you should tell them to have their eyes checked, cause I totally see you otherwise.” She said, crossing her arms at the chest. I glared at her.

 

“Hello little missy! Maybe you’re the one who needs to have your eyes checked!” I step forward, cocked my head forward until it’s only inches away from her. “You see this?” I pointed at my face. “5th most handsome face in the world! That’s authentic!”

 

She looked at me, mouth agape. I bet she’s thinking of a better come back.

 

“….”

 

She closed in defeat.

 

I smirked. “I win. I am not wearing those and that’s final!”

 

She pouted at me. She had her fist clenched and was looking down sulkily. Then she started looking like a five year old getting ready to cry.

 

O, hell no!

 

Not that again!

 

---

 

“Wake up!” I felt a vigorous shaking of the bed.

 

“Hhhhhmmm! Shut up will you?” I kicked her hand away from the bed.

 

“Aish! I said wake up!”  She pushed me continuously. Aish! This girl is so pesky!

 

“No! Leave me alone!”

 

“I won’t until you get up! Take a bath already! We’re going to be late for god’s sake!”

 

“I don’t care! Leave me alone!” I shouted and threw a pillow at her. She got hit in the face. I snickered at her before  getting back under the comforter.

 

She began shaking my body but I shrugged her off and pulled the covers up.

 

“Are you really not going to get up?!”

 

“…..”

 

“Fine! Don’t tell me I didn’t try!”  I felt her stood up from the bed. At last, that persistent brat stopped. I waited for the creaking sound of the door. There was nothing.

 

“Yaaaaaah!” *Karate Sounds* I peeked from the cover only to stare at the girl in horror. She's now standing at the top of the chair, ready to lunge at me and before I could even move a muscle she started screaming. She launched in the air. 

 

“Flying... Elbow…. Drop!” 

 

Oh, God.

 

Everything turned into slow motion as I looked at her, wide eyed, as she shoot up in the air with a choleric expression on her face, elbow flexed and ready to attack. Her elbow hit directly at the ribs. I felt the mattress of the bed bounce with me from the impact.

 

“Uuuuuuurrghhh!”  I groaned in pain. I rolled out of bed, clutching my abused ribs. I crawled my way to the corner of the room and watched her jump out of bed like nothing just happened. She walked slowly to me, looking at me like a predator to its prey.

 

What the hell is this girl thinking? Have she forgotten that I’m injured!

 

“I told you to get up didn’t I?” She taunted with a glowering expression. I felt a lump form in my throat.

 

! This girl is crazy scary!

 

“The hell is wrong with you?!” I said, too fast. My voice sounded squeaky because of pain.

 

She only laughed evilly and glared at me. 

 

Dang. Is she some kind of psycho or something? Cause you know, I can see the “aura” around her from here.

 

“Get up!”  She shouted.

 

I didn’t. Instead, I dragged myself further back to the wall until my back was pressed on its surface.

 

She raised an eyebrow. She’s standing right before me now, eyeing me like I’m very little. “Choose Kwon Yuri. It’s either you go to the bathroom yourself……” She crouched down and purred on my ear. “…. or I beat the crap out of you and throw you to the bathtub to drown.” I gulped.

 

Holy Mary. Mother of God why did you let Satan’s daughter come to life?

 

“I-I-I….” I couldn’t bring myself to say it so I quickly got to my feet and started to go to the bathroom. Bits of sweat are starting to form at my head.

 

How come that vulnerable girl from the club could suddenly became like this? And she said she’ll beat the crap out of me! Is she that strong? I have a glorious six packs for music’s sake!

 

I was to turn the knob of the bathroom when I realized something.

 

I’m a freaking man! Why the hell am I letting myself get beaten by this girl! And she can’t beat the crap out of me! I’m strong!

 

I slowly turned around and saw her giggling to herself.

 

Hell yeah! You did it! Rejoice!

 

“So you think you win huh?” I hissed at her. She looked at me, surprised. “You really think I’m scared of you? I am just playing along, you brat!” I said as I moved forward. She started taking her step back. Now it’s your turn to be afraid.

 

“If I say I don’t want to get up, it means you need to shut up and leave me alone. Not because we have a freaking contract and I owe you something doesn’t mean you can do anything you want.” She stepped further back causing her to slumped back to the bed.

 

“I’m not afraid of you.” I hissed. She was biting her lips and holding the sheets for dear life as she looked at me. “You should be…” I began again but stopped when I see her began to sniff. She began doing that thing children do when they are on the verge of crying.  Her eyes were beginning to be watery and I began to panic.

 

*Sniff*

 

She looked at me with a pitiful expression.

 

*Sniff*

 

!

 

She’s going to cry!

 

“Are you going to hit me?” She said with a crack and squeaky voice.

 

I stared at her, not knowing what to do. 

 

“Are you?” *Sniff*

 

“N-No. I won’t. Don’t cry.” I said suddenly in a soothing manner. She’s making me panic inside! What the hell is wrong with women! One moment they’re harassing you, and then next second they’re threatening to cry!

 

“No! I will cry! Look at you; you don’t even want to take a bath now.” She said and pouted, her eyes are getting more watery.

 

“I-is that it? Okay. Okay. I will take a bath now. Just..Just don’t cry okay?”

 

She sulked and pouted. *Sniff* *Sniff* Sniff*

 

The hell what to do now!!!!?! I tousled my hair in frustration, as if there were enough of them for me to cling on to.  

 

I looked around the room and saw the towel at the counter. I immediately took it and went in front of the bathroom. “I’m taking a bath now!” I shouted, looking at her with a worried expression.

 

She’s still sulking! Kill me now!

 

“I’m taking a bath now okay? Don’t cry already.” I said, almost in a whining manner.

 

I swear I think I saw her smirked but it was gone in a blink. She nodded, refusing to look at me but it made me feel relief anyway.

 

As soon as I was inside, I let out a sigh of relief. The hell is wrong with that girl. Is she bipolar or something?

 

As soon as I finished bathing, I went out of the bathroom only to find her laughing so hard, rolling in the bed while holding her stomach.

 

I raised my eyebrow at her.

 

“I tricked you! I totally tricked you! Hahahahahahaha!” She’s hitting the mattress continuously, still not looking at me.

 

“Ha.Ha.Ha. Sooooo funny.” I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes at her.

 

“You should have seen your reaction. It’s freaking price…less.” She said only to be stopped when she opened her eyes and had a glimpse of my topless image. I smiled at her reaction.

 

She’s checking me out. I know that kind of look better than anyone else.

 

“Now, that’s a priceless reaction. Drooling much eh?” I teased.

 

She shook her head and began glaring at me. “Who said I’m drooling!?!”

 

“Like it’s not written all over your face already. Hahahahaha”

 

She narrowed her eyes on me. “For your information, I don’t like jerks. If I don’t like you, the same goes to your body.” She snapped.

 

“Whatever. Everybody likes me. You are not someone I’ll be dwelling on.”

 

She glared at me while going to the door. “Wait for me here. I’ll get your clothes. Let’s see if anyone still likes you.” She said but not forgetting to hissed “Jerk” before going out.

 

---

 

“Okay. Okay. I’ll wear them okay?” Freakin girl who loves crying! I mumbled under my breath.

 

“Yey!” She beamed like nothing happened. Jinjja! This girl is really foxy!

 

I wonder if she tricked me into making that deal with her too.

 

With a heavy heart, I took the clothes and the wig and went to the bathroom to wear them. I looked at my reflection in the mirror.  Hmmm.. Not as bad I thought it would be.

 

I went out of the bathroom only to be welcomed by a displeased expression from Jessica. What now?

 

“What the hell! You’re supposed to look nerdy!”

 

“I AM nerdy.” I said as a matter-of-factly. (Yul's Bowl Cut Hairstyle)

 

“Yeah. But that’s a nerdy hottie! This won’t do.” She said and I didn’t know if she meant that statement as positive or negative. She put her index finger to her chin and began tapping.

 

“I wore it already. Can we just go now and get over it?”

 

“No! Not with you looking like that! My classmates will know you for sure! I can’t believe you can pull off that Pabo hairstyle, I mean I can’t even imagine your head full of hair!” She complained.

 

“What the hell is your problem with my hair?!” I said, taking off the wig and throwing it at the counter.

 

“Oh, come one! Enough with the drama already! Can’t you see I have a very big dilemma right now? I need to make you look ordinary. Hmmmm~” She said, ignoring me.

 

God! I can’t believe I have to spend another minute of this!

 

I looked at the half body mirror. I am wearing a blue checkered long polo shirt with a red with white polka dots ribbon tucked in dark blue cotton pants. The back of my neck is beginning to feel itchy because of the Bowl Cut wig that I’m wearing.

 

I looked at Jessica questioningly. Isn’t this nerdy enough for her?

 

“Hmmmm.… Yes! That’s right! Wait for me.” She said and went out again only to come back with big framed glasses, oversized blazer that look like Mr. Bean’s and an ugly gold watch. “Here, wear these!” She said excitedly. I did. “There! Perfect! Now slouched and make your jaw protrude a little so it’ll look like you have a lower bite.” I raised an eyebrow at her but did what she said anyway. “Bwalah!! Now I have my nerd stalker!”

 

“E-Eh?!” I shouted in surprise.

 

“What? You have a problem with that?”

 

“Of course! I can take pretending to be a nerd but I will not be your stalker. Thank you very much.” I said in finality.

 

“Then how am I supposed to present you there?!” She complained.

 

“Isn’t it weirder if you introduce me as your stalker? Use your head, brat!”

 

She looked at me in disbelief, agape. She narrowed her eyes on me. “I’ll make you swallow that back.” She threatened.

 

“Oh, really?” I said with the same threatening tone.

 

“Yeah!”

 

“Whatever!”

 

“Hmpf!”

 

“Hmpf too!”

 

Aish! This girl is really a headache! She can be one person at one time and a totally different one in another. And she can freaking manipulate me without me knowing!

 

 “I’m done here! I’ll wait for you in the car outside.” She said dismissively.

 

“Wait! How about our story? How do I explain why I’ll be sticking with you all through the day?”

 

“Well I’ll figure that out later.” She said calmly.

 

“What?!”

 

“Do you love shouting that much! I’m right here!”

 

“You also shout before and now you’re complaining!”

 

“Whatever. Just… trust me ok? I’ll figure something out, eventually. I can handle this. Chill, bro.” She said in a tomboyish manner and punched my chest like boys do.

 

“That…. totally not suit you.” I said with a disgusted expression.

 

“I don’t care. Anyway, see you outside.” She said and went to the door.

 

“Wait!”

 

“What now?” She asked impatiently.

 

“Do I have to look like this every day?” I don’t think I’ll survive these kinds of outfits. I mean look at me! When someone sees me in this kind of clothes, my career, if not over, will be near over. Well, not that I care much but still.

 

“That’s just for two days. I’ll send someone to take your measurement so they can tailor you a school uniform. Anything else?”

 

“Yes. If you have classes and I have errands to do, I demand that you let me leave. I promise to come back. Don’t worry, I stick to my words.”

 

She gave me a long looked. For the first time it’s not a mocking or a teasing or an irritated one. For the first time today, she smiled  at me . “If that’s what you wish.”


 

 


Thank you for reading.

Please do comment.