The Contract

What Makes a Rock Star

My body screamed in pain when we landed on the ground. Together, we rolled and rolled. I could feel scratches forming on my arms and knees as well rolled. I held her closer and tighter. I must not let her be hurt. 

 

I felt my head smack at a hard object. When we finally stop, I opened my eyes. Her surprised yet worried beautiful eyes are the last thing I saw before I collapsed and everything turned to black.


 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 3

(The Contract)




 

I raised my hand and swayed it aimlessly; desperately trying to find something that could provide the warmth my body was aching for. My jaw trembled because of the cold.  

 

I feared the sensation.

 

I never liked the cold. 

 

I felt so helpless that I had the urge to cry.

 

Then I felt something wet brushing on my forehead.

 

I never knew what it was but at that time, I saw it as some sort of salvation.   

 

“C-C-Cold.” I muttered painstakingly.

 

No help came.

 

Eyebrows furrowed in discomfort, I shifted my position, curling my body to feel more heat but it didn’t seem to help at all. My body kept on shivering. My whole body was aching, I felt weak and I felt like I needed to give more effort just to breath. It's as if no matter how much air I in, it's still not enough for my body. I wanted more and started using my mouth to aid breathing. I might not be able to express it outside but inside I’m panicking.

 

I never knew that the loud and heavy breaths I made also brought panic to the one sitting beside me. 

 

I heard an incomprehensible voice talking to me. I didn’t know what the voice was saying but somehow the voice was enough to make me feel calmer. I felt something putting a firm and pressure on my hand. I felt a gush of relief. That something was warm. 

 

Hungry for heat, I held on to it like it's the only thing that mattered. I pulled it to my trembling face, pressing it to my cheek.

 

But it was not enough. That warmth. I need more. I need more.

 

“C-C-Co-Cold.” I pleaded.

 

I heard the voice again and felt something grazed against my forehead again.

 

I felt the warm thing pulling away from me but I did not let it go. I won't.

 

With all my might, I pulled it closer. I felt a bigger source of warmth slumped near my body and without hesitation, I clung on to it. I held it closer; tighter than I ever did to anything before. I felt it struggling but I didn’t let go. I needed the heat badly. 

 

When I finally felt it relax on my arms, I secured my leg over it. And with the hope of a good dream and a vague memory of beautiful eyes that I wished would look over me, I drifted to sleep.

 

---

 

“Huuuuuuuuuuuuuoooouuuaaaaaaahaa~" I yawned and stretched my arms. I brought my hands to my hair to ruffle it only to feel a piece of cloth encircling it.  

 

As soon as I opened my eyes, I saw a pair of closed eyes right in front of my face. Disheveled hair was covering her face, revealing only her eyes. My eyes were wide open because of surprise.

 

Then without prior movement, her eyes flew open; a set of scary cold eyes was looking back at me.

 

“Waaaaaaaaah!!!!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. I looked down and saw one of my arms encircling her waist and the other on her posterior. “Waaaaaah!!!!!" I screamed as I retracted my hands away from her posterior and looked at my hand in horror.

 

I looked back at the girl who’s staring indifferently at me with those deadly eyes.

 

She opened to speak. Only, it only made me panic more.

 

“Waaaaaahhh!!!!!” I screamed so bad that I could feel the muscles of my throat straining.

 

On impulse, I dragged myself backward, still screaming and looking at her with horror. I leaned on the wall desperately. “Waaaaaaaaahhhh!!!” I screamed again.

 

Then my head began throbbing. I winced as I clutched my head, desperately trying to ease the pain.

 

I saw her crawling slowly to me. Blonde Sadako was crawling slowly to me.

 

It was creepy as hell.  

 

Goosebumps were all over my body.  And The whole ordeal was not helping my aching head at all.

 

“W-Who are you?!” I asked demandingly, my back leaning at the board of the bed. My eyes scanned the surroundings, finding a possible exit.  

 

Dear God. Where the hell am I?

 

As she went nearer and nearer, I began breathing heavily again. My eyes darted around the surroundings and identified nothing familiar.

 

This is not my room!

 

“Where am I?!” I asked, my voice trembling in panic.

 

My eyes grew wider and wider as she got nearer and nearer. She extended her hands like she was about to touch my face. I closed my eyes tightly as I held on desperately to my head which was getting more painful by the second.

 

I felt a hand rest on my forehead. My body stiffened from her touch. I kept my eyes tightly shut, still holding on my head for dear life.  

 

“You look stupid, you know that?” I heard a cold voice saying. It sounded familiar somehow.

 

Hesitantly, I opened my eyes.

 

She was feeling my forehead with the back of her hand. 

 

“W-What are you doing?” 

 

She raised an eyebrow at me like I just said something unbelivably stupid. “Feeling your temperature.” She said a matter-of-factly. In fact, she sounded irritated.

 

I looked at her with an incredulous expression but she did not pay attention to me.

 

“It seems like your fever went down. Wait for me here.” She said and went out of the room. I stared at her retreating figure. I’m sure I saw her somewhere before, I just don't remember where.

 

I felt the throbbing of my head again and clutched at my head, closing my eyes as if it'll lessen the pain. And when I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was my reflection in the mirror.

 

I couldn't believe what I saw. 

 

Is that really... me? Kwon Yuri?

 

I scrunched up my nose in disgust. 

 

Damn. I never thought I could look ugly! I mean, I never knew it was even possible!

 

I held my chin as I slowly turned my head from side to side, studying my reflection.

 

I looked pale. My lips were dry and my eyes were blood shot. A bandage was on my head. My face have couple of scrape on it. Their was  freshly dried blood, clotting on the corner of my mouth. And the most hideous thing,  I was wearing a pink Pooh T-shirt and too small pajamas. 

 

I looked like a Chuckie doll playing dress up!

 

Something churned in the pit of my stomach. Suddenly I just want to vomit everything or anything out. I scanned the surroundings looking for any trance of my real clothes. 

 

Damn! Where are they!?! I look so silly in these clothes! 

 

I gagged more.

 

Clutching my head, I stood up and started scanning the room only to be interrupted by the creaking of the door.

 

“What are you doing?” Said the girl, looking at me with a concerned expression. She was holding a tray with a glass of water, a bowl and a medicine box. “I told you to wait there, didn’t I?” I said in an irritated manner, pointing at the bed. She put the tray down and dragged me back to the bed. I yanked my hand away from her grip. I might be too shocked before to act normally around her, but I’m not anymore.

 

“Where are my clothes?” I asked sternly, glaring at her. The girl did not flinch. Instead, she narrowed her eyes at me.

 

“Sit at the bed.” She said authoritatively.

 

I huffed. “Why would I? Don’t tell me what to do. Now, tell me where my clothes are.”

 

“Not until you sit. I need to change your dressing.”

 

I smirked at her, as evilly as I could. This girl is getting to my patience. “Tell me where my clothes are or I’ll…”

 

“You’ll what? Do what you did to me last night?” She butted in. Now, it’s her who's glaring. I looked at her confusedly. “What? You don’t remember?” I looked at her blankly. What should I remember?

 

I furrowed my eyebrow, trying to remember but my head throbbed again. Suddenly, I felt so dizzy. I was about to lose my balance but she immediately supported my body, preventing me from falling down. “And this is why I told you to sit! Stupid!” She exclaimed irritably and helped me to sit back on the bed.

 

I sat there holding my throbbing head. She set the medication box at the bed before getting a tray of food. “Eat first so you can take your medication,” She said, setting it at the end table. “Here. Eat it.” She said, holding up a spoonful. I stared at it and then back at her. She rolled her eyes. “What? Can you eat it alone? Because if you can, do it yourself. Believe me. You’re doing me a very big favor.”

 

I sighed and reluctantly took the bite.

 

Gosh. I felt like a child.

 

I ate quietly. She’s not talking either; focused on feeding me. I couldn’t help but look in her eyes. Those damn things were really cold. Like it’ll see nothing good enough for its sight.  No wonder it startled me before.

 

Speaking of what happened to me? Why am I here? And why am I in the bed with her?

 

“There you go. You’re almost done now.” She said and smiled briefly. That took me off guard. I couldn’t imagine her smiling. Really.

 

“Now, tell me why I’m here? And why are you in the..”

 

“Take this first.” She said giving me a tablet and another glass of water.

 

I narrowed my eyes at her in irritation. That was the second time she cut me off while I’m talking. I took the tablet from her and swallowed it quickly. I was to glare and snap at her but hadn't got the chance to when she suddenly pet my head, like I’m a dog.

 

“See that wasn’t hard is it? Good job.” She said and smiled proudly. Like I said, there was something about her smile that seemed familiar. Actually, not only the smile, her eyes and her voice too. I met her before. I'm sure.

 

“Have I seen you before?”

 

“Of course you do.” She said, suddenly her smile faltered. She stopped petting my head and stood up. Again she looked at me with a cold gaze. Hell! How could this woman change mood so easily?

 

I looked at her expectantly when she didn't continue.

 

"You ually harassed me last night.”

 

Just like that, everything that happened last night flashbacked. I, getting myself in a hopeless contract. The bar. The drinks. Paris. The girl I've mistaken as Paris. The attempt. All the until the fact that I saved her from being hit by a car; I remembered them all like they just happened in front of my eyes.

 

“Remember now?” She laughed as she took the medicine box. “Don’t move okay? I’ll just change your dressing.” She went at my back and began changing the bandage in my head.

 

I was speechless. Suddenly all the guilt from last night came over me again. I remembered her hurt expression. The humiliation she got, not only from me, but also from the heartless people in the club. Heartless, just like what I’ve become.

 

“I’m sorry.” I said all of the sudden. I jerked my head to the side, wanting to face her.

 

“Don’t move. I’m not finished yet.” She said. 

 

“About last night… I was not myself..”

 

“Now, I’m done!” She exclaimed and started repacking the kit.

 

Gee. Until when will she keep cutting me off? I cleared my throat. “Listen. About last night, I was really intoxi….”

 

“Stop!” She shouted. She had her back on me. “Don’t remind me of that night again please.” She said weakly before walking away.

 

“But..”

 

“No buts.” She glanced at me from her shoulder. “That was very traumatizing for me. I can’t bear remembering that again.” She said and went out of the room.

 

I was left there, all the inch of my body filled with guilt.

 

Yes, I did save her. But that didn’t change the fact that I tried to harass her. Even the fact the she almost got hit by a car was also my fault. Everything that happened to her that night was all because of me.

 

The creaking of the door brought me out of my reverie.

 

“Here are your clothes. Your phone got broken though.” She said nonchalantly.

 

I  stared at my things. Clenching my jaw because of the hatred I felt for myself. It felt like the arrogant me suddenly left my body. I felt shameful in front of her.

 

“Thinking about it wouldn’t change anything you know.”

 

I looked at her. I just realized how beautiful she is. How could I do that to her? I imagined again the hurt I saw in her face. Too much. I was too much. I hung my head low. I couldn’t bear to look at her anymore. 

 

“I forgive you now. You saved me. We’re settled now.”

 

“No!” I shouted almost instantly.

 

The hell! Saving her doesn't settle things at all.

 

I looked at her intensely. “We’re not. If it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t even run outside like that. It was my entire fault.” I looked away from her bitterly. Damn. I hate myself now. I’m just a rock star now I guess. No more, no less.

 

She sighed again. “Hhhmm. You know it’s not really pleasant for me to see anybody like that. If you’re planning to sulk all day, deal with it alone.” She said in a straight manner and started to go to the door.

 

“Wait.” I shouted with urgency. “Tell me what I could do to make it up to you.” She stopped and look at me confusedly. “I want to make it up to you. Tell me what you want. I’ll do it for you.” I said. I couldn’t let this go just like that, my pride wouldn’t let me live with that.

 

She looked at me like she heard nothing. “And why would you do that? I told you we’re quits already.”

 

“I need to.”

 

“Are you sure about that?”          

         

I was surprised by her answer. I don’t really expect her to agree to this easily.

 

“Yes.”

 

She looked at me with a serious expression. “I’ll ask you again Kwon Yuri, are you sure? If you say yes, there is no taking it back.” She emphasized.

 

“Yes. I am.”

 

“Ok then. Wait for me here.”

 

After almost thirty minute of waiting, she finally returned, now with a piece of paper and a pen with her.

 

“Sign these.”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“A contract.”

 

“A contract?”

 

“Are you deaf? Yes, a contract. You said you’ll do anything I want, don’t you? And there is only one thing I want right now.” She said. I looked at her in anticipation. “I want to win a contest. A singing contest. And you,” She pointed at me. “…is going to make sure that I do.” She smirked.

 

“But how will I do that?”

 

“That….. is all up to you.”

 

I stared at the paper then at her. The hell. I just got myself into one hell of a contract and now I got another. 

 

“Don’t you want to?”  She asked and smiled bitterly. “I guess that was all said, huh?”

 

“No! I’m serious about that. It’s just that... I need to know the odds.”

 

She nodded in understanding. “Okay then. In this contract, I need you to stay with me. And what I meant with staying with me is that you have to be with me anytime of the day that I wanted you to. While staying, you’ll do whatever it takes to make me the winner. Do not try to bribe the judges; I don’t want to win that way. Doing any kind of cheating will bleach the contract immediately.”

 

I stared aimlessly then at the girl’s face. “That can’t be possible. I’m a rock star.” I said like that explained everything.

 

“I know. That is also why I asked this favor from you. You’re the best out there. No matter how bad your temper is or how bad a person you are, you are what I need.”

 

I smirked. I know I should be annoyed by her comments but I wasn’t. She had the perfect reason to believe that. No one could blame her.

 

“When will the contest be?”

 

“Two weeks from now.”

 

I paused to think. “I’ll talk to my manager. Can I borrow your phone?”

 

She smiled slightly and gave her phone to me.

 

I quickly got the bathroom and dialed Shin Young Noona’s number.

 

“Hello? Who’s this?”

 

“Shinyoung Noona, it’s Yul.”

 

“Yul! Where are you? We’ve been searching for you! Somebody called from GG Club. They told me about what happened!”

 

“What?!” . How did this happen? I told them not to tell anybody!

 

“They said somebody saw you storming out of the club chasing after a girl. You were drunk. What are you thinking? You’re a celebrity for god’s sake! You're dead when this gets out of public! You know how people love to speculate!”

 

“.”

 

“God! First you come back in a bad mood from talking with the CEO, then you storm out of the dorm without telling anyone where you’re going; now you did this!”

 

“I know. And I’m sorry about yesterday. But wait. Is that all that they said? Nothing else? Nothing about what happened inside the club?”

 

“Yes. Why? Don’t tell me something else happened!”

 

I paused. I couldn’t let anybody know about that. My career will be compromised. Plus, that girl will be affected too. I’ve done enough damage to her. “No. Don’t worry noona. Did any news come out about it?”

 

“Fortunately, they said they got the informant taken care of. Anyway, where are you? Come back here this minute! Tiffany has been crying non-stop. I don’t know how to handle her! We’re all dead worried about you!”

 

I paused before I answer. Tiffany's crying is the last thing I need to worry about.

 

“Before anything else, did Sunny tell you about the contract?”

 

“What contract?”

 

“I see.” I paused. So she’s really that desperate to keep me. She knew Shinyoung wouldn’t like that contract. Even how pesky and strict she had been to us, she respected our decisions. She’ll never agree to something that’ll go against our will or bind us to permanently leave music; like that deal.  

 

“Listen to me, noona. I will be gone for two weeks. There is something I need to..”

 

“What!?!! Hell no! You can’t be gone, we have events to attend! And there’s practice! You can’t be a no-show there!”

 

“But I really need to..”

 

“No and that’s final! Now come back here before I track you down and drag your perky back here with my own two hands!” she threatened.

 

Have I mentioned that she’s sort of scary too?

 

“You don’t need me there. The other members will cover for me. There is something I need to do. Don’t try finding me okay? I’ll give you a call when I need to.” I said, trying to sound tough.

 

“You are not giving me a call! You’ll come back here this instance! You can’t do this Yul! How will I explain..”

 

“I know you can handle that. Bye again. Take care of them. And don’t worry about Tiffany, Taeyeon will handle her.” I said and ended the call.

 

I opened the faucet and drenched the phone making sure that it’ll be impossible to be used again. I know Shinyoung will try to track me down. I wouldn't let that phone call ruin it.

 

I smirked. Who would have known that the girl’s deal will benefit me too? I got to spend time away from the spotlight and have time to work on the song. And all I did was to help her win. I have nothing to lose. Even if she loses, what matters was that I made my end of the deal. That's enough for my pride. I could live with that.

 

Carrying the broken phone with me, I made my way out only to see that she’s no longer there. The door of the room was ajar. She might have gotten bored and went out.

 

I heard a sound of piano playing from outside. Instinctively, I went to follow the sound. It was one of our songs; mellowed into a slower and acoustic version.

 

-m4mkEIoRjrkERdUHXvnn5prAnFvagiiCPICrIG7vaEQDgP1PtM1e72j4v7Gy9KnEBj39ccF0gXnAE5BFrZOPz-GuYqUCfIR23nkK3X7aZ6N7juiT4bC9YgeWQWOAfCYa_F0PK9X

 

As soon as I went outside the room, I was amazed by how big the girl’s house is. Everything was set and designed at aim for sophistication. Outside the room was the overlooking view of the hall of the mansion. From here I could see the figure playing the piano below. Dazed by her gracefulness and the beautiful sound she created, I made my way towards her. The nearer I came, the clearer the beauty of the music she made became.

 

My eyes never left her as I went down the stairs. She had her eyes closed while swaying her body to the music. I smiled. I've seen a lot of people making covers of our songs but the way she performed it was more attractive. Regal but soulful. The lyrics of the song were not needed to understand the song. All you had to do was look at her while listening and everything  would come effortlessly.

 

I crossed my arm as I watched her and soon I couldn't help but close my eyes and enjoy the music.

 

This is how I want my songs to be heard. 

 

Suddenly the music stopped. 

 

“So what do you think about the deal?”

 

I opened my eyes and saw her looking at me with expectant eyes. I cleared my throat and shoved my hands on my pocket, “You can play the piano well.”    

 

“And you can play any instrument better than me.” She said as a-matter-of-factly, turning to face me, “Back to the question; do we have a deal, Kwon Yuri?”

 

“Do you have the papers?”

 

“Yes. Here.” She gave me the contract.

 

I scanned it trying to find anything suspicious but then something suddenly came to my mind.

 

“Wait. How did you forgive me so fast? Although I want to say that it was all because of a misunderstanding and what happened was an accident, what I did is not something small. Why does it seem like it's so easy for you to let it go?”

 

“I have my reasons." She answered dismissively, standing up and leaned her hips on the side of the piano, "Now, will you sign already? I have other things to do you know.”

 

I heaved a sigh. I guess I just have to ask her again later. She lended me a pen and I began signing the document. I gave it to her as soon as I was done. 

 

“There. Now, we’re done here.” I turned my back on her dismissively then I suddenly remembered about her phone. “Oh. By the way, your phone slipped from my hand. It sunk in the toilet. I’m sorry but I don’t think you can use that again. I’ll just buy you a new one.” 

 

“I see.” She said in a non caring manner. “No need. I got a lot of spares.”

 

I cocked an eyebrow, “Really?”

 

“Yeah. Really... I don’t need them anyway.” She looked down at the last statement. There was a glint of sadness in her eyes but it was gone in a blink of an eye.

 

“Okay.”  I shrugged my shoulders. “I’ll go now.” Whatever the reason for that was not my problem. I hadn't taken a step away when she suddenly spoke up.

 

“Where do you think you’re going?”

 

“Upstairs? I'll just go get my things then I'll leave. I’ll come back tomorrow for the deal.”

 

“Who said you can leave?”

 

I looked back at her, taken aback. She’s wearing that indifferent expression again, her face full of authority. “Me. I need to change clothes and everything, don’t I?”

 

“Yes, you do but you can’t leave. Not until I tell you could.” 

 

I looked at her, confused. 

 

“I said it before didn’t I? You’ll stay with me any time of the day I want you to. That is part of the contract.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean, you will stay with me, here, in my house. For the whole two weeks of training, you are going to stay with me and follow me around no matter where and when I want.”

 

“W-Wha- But.. you didn’t even-”

 

Suddenly, she stood up and took the papers before she showed me a page. “I did... You see this? ‘Be with me anytime of the day that I wanted you to,’ That is what I told you. And I want you to stay with me 24/7.” She gave me a cold gaze. “If you do not comply, the contract will be bleached. When that happens, I won’t let you get away with it.”

 

I looked at her in terror.

 

How could this girl trick me!

 

I gulped, about to complain when I noticed she's already on her way up the stairs. 

 

“Oh!

 

By the way!” She stopped on her track all of a sudden and giddily started walking way back to me. “Sorry, I forgot to re-introduce myself. I’m Jung Jessica, the only daughter of the owner of the biggest law firm in my Korea. Nice to meet you.”

 

Yeah baby. I'm doomed.

 


Meet Jung Jessica. The Ice Princess

 

 

 

A/N: Song Jessica was playing

Thank you for reading.

Please do comment.