The Promise

What Makes a Rock Star

“We’re going somewhere.” She said an innocent/evil smile on her face.

 

“Why are you at my back then?”

 

“Hehehehe. We are going somewhere…..

 

But today…… you will be my ride.” 


 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 8

(The Promise)


 

Thanks God the school was almost deserted when Jessica and I made our way out. I’ll be doomed if anybody saw me being abused by this brat.

 

I was starting to doubt if she really cared about my 'cover' as a nerd. I mean, who wouldn’t? Especially if all the way in that freaking painful struggle, she kept on ruffling my hair, making my wig almost fly off my head. When she got off balance, she suddenly grabbed it and I had to hold on to it to keep it from detaching. I had to endure carrying her to the arcade with a lopsided wig because she refused to use the car. 'I am her ride today.' She insisted. Gee. I’m glad that’s over.

 

“Yah! Why do you keep cheating!” She shouted and hit my back.

 

“I didn’t cheat, Brat. You’re just weak. Hahahahaha.”

 

We spent almost 2 hours in this arcade already and she was yet to win a game against me.

 

Well, technically she has won A game, WHICH, I don’t consider winning at all because she had gone so far in cheating in that one. Going far as kicking my seat real hard that made me stumble backwards. I couldn’t even express my embarrassment in that one.

 

But so far so good. I never actually tried going to an arcade before. And I’m really enjoying my time.

 

“Hey let’s go there! That’s my favorite game!” Jessica exclaimed excitedly, jumping like an old kid. She grabbed me by the hand and started dragging me around. Staring at our hands tangled together, I suddenly thought how soft her hands felt on the rough surface of mine.

 

I think.... I should consider having a hand spa now. Or paraffin. 

 

“Play that!” She said, pointing yet another game.

 

“I don’t want to. Why don’t YOU play it? You’re the one insisting that I win only because I cheated.” I said flatly.

 

Her upper lip twitched upwards and bwalah! She looks exactly like an angry fish. I laughed at her. “I said PLAY it!” She insisted, ignoring my mockery. 

 

“I. Don’t. Want. To.” Crossing my arms across my chest.

 

“Play. It!” She said, stomping her feet like a child.

 

“I don’t know her.” I said to one person giving me curious look. This girl likes making a scene.

 

“PLAY! IT! NOW! N. O. W. NOW!!!!!!” She continued throwing a temper tantrum.

 

“Yah! Stop that! You’re embarrassing. Jinjja!”

 

“Play it first! Play it! Play it! Play it! Play it!”  Aish! People are starting to look at us. They looked at me like I bullied Jessica.

 

“Okaaay! Just stop! Annoying Brat!” I said and slumped on the steel chair in front of the game.

 

I swiped our card and started playing. 

 

I swear I used to see Hyo and Soo play this at our dorm but I didn't think Tekken Tag was this hard. 

 

I cringed irritably . I could only handle the basics but my enemy was  sending in combo after combo. 

 

Result?

 

First game. I lost.

 

“Try it again!” Jessica beamed from behind me.

 

I sighed. I know she won’t stop until she’s not content so I played it again. I was on my fourth try when I heard the one I was playing with from the other side. “The loser is trying again. Huh! He really thinks he can win against me? I know all the combos of each of the characters here. There’s no way he can win against me.” A woman’s voice said as if talking to someone.

 

I focused on the game. My competitive side getting ahead of me.

 

‘Damn you, you won’t win again this time.’ I thought with all determination.

 

Another round ended and I lost again.

 

“Darn it!” I shouted in frustration.

 

“Go home loser.” Said the voice from the other side.

 

I stood up, ready to teach the girl a lesson.

 

“YAAAaaahhhh…aahh…eh?” My loud voice faltered and my eyes widened when I saw who it was.

 

‘S-Sunny?’

 

“Yul, what ar..”

 

Jessica wasn’t able to continue when I grabbed her and dragged her out of the arcade with all my might.

 

“Yul!” I ignored her and continued striding past everybody until we got far enough from the arcade.

 

Sunny mustn't see me! She didn’t know about my contract with Jessica. It’ll get me into a big trouble. 

 

“Yul….Wait….I’m… I’m tired.” Jessica said in between breaths, interuppting my train of thoughts.

 

I looked back at her and noticed that strands of her hair made its way down her face. Gently as possible, I reached for it and tucked it behind her ears. She looked at me with a confused and flustered expression. And like I just snapped back to reality, I immediately turned my back on her, hiding my equally embarrassed face. I wanted to kick myself for what I did. Why the hell did I do that? It's not even necessary!

 

I squatted in front of Jessica. “Here. Get on my back.” She was hesitant at first and looked at me questioningly. I just shrugged my shoulder to tell her it's no big deal. She got on my back and I secured my hands on her thighs. Her hands awkwardly rested on my shoulder so I took it off and brought it around my neck. “It’s to secure you better. You almost fell when we were on our way here.” I reasoned when I sensed her embarrassment.

 

“O-Okay.”

 

“Text Mr. Jan. Tell him we decided to go home earlier.” I reminded her.

 

We made our way down the alley, spending the whole time in silence. 

 

“Jessica? Where should we…." I wanted to inquire but my voice trailed when I glanced at the brat and realized she was sleeping.

 

Great. Now where should I go?

 

I looked around trying to find a safer place for us to stay while waiting. On our way, I stopped by a vending machine to buy drinks for me and Jessica. The sun was almost setting when Jessica stirred awake. “Yul?”

 

“Hmmm?” I managed.

 

“I’m okay, now. You can let me down.”

 

“Later…. When we get on that playground.” I said as I gestured to the playground across us. As soon as we got there, I let Jessica down and sat on one of the swings.

 

“Did Mr. Jan reply?” I inquired.

 

“Yep, he said he’ll be here in 30 minutes.” She sat at the swing beside me. I offered her a can of soda and she gave me a warm smile. But that didn't keep me from noticing the sudden rigidity in her actions. 

 

“Thank you.” She said to me timidly. 

 

For a moment, we sat parallel to each other, no one saying anything. I looked up at the view. Up here, we could see a glimpse of the sun as it goes down, coloring the sky which is orange and yellow, highlighted by shades of violet as the yellow light binded with the blue night sky.      

 

“It’s pretty, right?” Jessica said, breaking the silence.

 

“Yep. I never taught the sunset could look this good.” I said my lips curved into a tight lip smile. My eyes never leaving the sunset.

 

“You know, I love the sunset.” I looked at her expectantly. She extended her legs and massaged it, her lips pinched together as she looks at me. Then a hearty smile came to her face. Such a pretty sight. “It’s a signal that the day will soon be over and soon enough I can have my much awaited slumber. Hehehe.”

 

I just shook my head. This girl is hopeless.

 

I turned back to the sight. Not until that time had I ever thought of stopping for a while to look and appreciate the simple beauty of the world around me. All those times I had preoccupied myself with music and my career that I forgot that there were other things the world could offer to me beside it. A beauty so simple and so natural yet gave off that warm feeling that could instantly capture one’s eyes and spirit.

 

Jessica gave a light spirited laugh beside me.

 

“Why are you laughing?” I asked her, annoyed by the rude interruption.

 

“Nothing. It’s just you look like you’re seeing it for the first time.” She chuckled as she held her head back to look at the sky too. 

 

I said nothing. Just stared at her. Her demeanor made me think of how and why, after all this time, she could manage to act so carefree around me yet so cold with others.

 

Then I remembered something.  

 

I stood up and tugged on my shirt. I was to walk away when I felt Jessica pulling back the hem of my shirt.

 

“Are you going somewhere?” Jessica asked, having an expression like that of a child afraid to be left behind.

 

“Yeah. I’ll just buy us some food. I’m hungry.” I said, shoving my hands in my pocket.

 

“You’ll leave me here?!” Her sudden shrill hinted anxiety.

 

“Yeah. Don’t worry I won’t be long. Stay here, okay?”

 

“B-But it’s not safe here....I- I- I’ll go with you.” She insisted and started to stand up.

 

This can't be. 

 

“Just stay here. I’ll be back in five minutes. I promise.” I said in an attempt to stop her from fully getting off the swing.

 

“No! I’ll go. I don’t want to be left here! What if you don’t come back? It’s scary.” Damn this girl. How can I go with my plan if she keeps on insisting?

 

“Jessica… Seriously? How old are you? Just wait here for me!” I said dismissively.

 

She held down her head and sulk. She bit her lips, trying to hold back the urge to cry.

 

I know she’s trying to manipulate me again but I won’t let her win this time. So I kneeled down before her and took off my favorite necklace. I never took it off before but I think I could bear a few minutes without it for now. “Here. Hold on to this while I’m gone. This is very important to me. Now that you have it, you can be sure I will return for it.” I said to reassure her as I put the necklace in the palm of her hands.

 

I stood up and walked away. I glanced at her sulking figure in the swing. She did not dare to look at me while holding on the necklace tightly. I felt guilty for leaving her but I needed to. I guess I just have to make it up to her later.

 

Hesitantly, I turned away and hurried back down to the direction we passed by earlier. As soon I finished buying what I was supposed to buy, I ran my way back to the playground. I had a hard time picking what to buy and took a little more time than I intended. Catching my breath, I held on the post standing in front of the playground, near enough to see the swing where I left Jessica. I heaved a sigh of relief when I saw her still sitting at the swing.

 

I crept my way behind her and nudged her playfully, ready with a smile on my face. “I’m back!” I beamed as I held the food in front of her face. All the excitement within me vanished when she looked at me with an expression of a lost puppy, her face drowned with tears. Before I even got the chance to ask anything, I found her already holding on to me tightly, sobbing so hard that it made my stomach churn with guilt.

 

I couldn't react. All I could do was to stand passively there and let her hug me. She buried her face on my shoulder, making it wet with her tears.

 

Why.. is she crying?  

 

“You’re late.” Her voice muffled as she spoke against my soaked shirt, expressing her frustration by hitting my back repeatedly as she cried. “You said you’ll be back in five minutes. You liar!” She exclaimed, her voice breaking in the end

 

I found myself her back soothingly. She continued crying her heart out and I felt so useless because I couldn’t make her stop. 

 

“Brat, I’m here now. No need to cry.” I said as soothingly as I could managed. I know I could give a better comeback than that. Like 'Stop being such a sissy. It's not like I'm your father or something.' or 'I've told you I'll comeback. Stop crying or you'll get ugly.' but I didn't. Seeing her in such state, for the first time since I met her, bugging her seemed wrong

 

“I thought ….you ….you won’t come back too…..”  She muttered, her voice nasally because of crying.

 

“Of course I won’t do that. I promised you.” I pointed out in exasperation, disregarding how disturbing the previous statement was.

 

As much as I didn’t want to, I untangled her arms that were wrapped around my waist and made her sit back at the swing. Her hands were shaking. She’s looking down with tears still flowing from her eyes.

 

It was disconcerting seeing her like that. The reason I always avoided the sight of a woman crying was because I knew when that happened, I wouldn’t be able to hold myself back. I would be controlled only by protective instincts.

 

I rested my hand on hers to stop it from shaking. When she looked up to me and our eyes met, I felt her sadness like it's mine. I couldn’t help but squeeze her hand reassuringly.

 

“Jessica… Don’t cry.” I pleaded but she continued sobbing.  “Stop crying. It’s not as if I won’t come back for you.” 

 

“That’s exactly what she said.” She said, finally putting effort in wiping her tears that refused to stop. I could only look at her questioningly, not understanding what she was talking about.  “Mom. That’s exactly what she said when she left me.” She said then like something clicked on my mind, I understood everything.

 

"She left me in a park too. She told me she would come back. I waited so long...” She bit her lips as if punishing it for saying something she shouldn’t.  "I waited even though it was dark. I waited even when everyone left. I waited even when it rained and my father came and tried to take me home. I waited. I really did." She said, like she was trying to prove herself so bad. The frustration was evident on her pleading eyes. She hung her head low, another tear left her eyes. "But she never came back." She said her voice breaking and she started sobbing again.

 

Seeing the confusion in my expression, she averted her gaze.

 

“I-I’m sorry.” She sniffed, clamping her lips guiltily. “I-I didn't mean to say those things. I just…I- I couldn’t handle being alone…. It’s not your fault.” I could only look at her as she struggled to find the right words.  “I-I was just...afraid. And I-I-I…” 

 

Before she could continue, I already pulled her in and wrapped my arms around her, quieting her sobs when I murmured against her hair, “It's okay now, Jessica. It's okay. I'm here. I won’t let you feel alone again. I promise.” 


 

 


Thanks for upvoting snsdyurijjang and soshiyulsic. I really appreciate it.

Thank you all for reading.

Please do comment.

 

Before I go.... 

MjV71TUYGqo6q2MDNHrJid0sDs9lQatmCMkdSzks-HNrrBT0TqfmG7Qa8hu7WlZMU5af9G27Ed0t8BaAIFaYvO1DIixbWmAWJ6LZdmxWdy80w98JACjTLXpWg_wZGrcowQzzVWNZ

I just want to say that I find this really reallly reaallllyy adorable >_<