A Long Night with Jessica

What Makes a Rock Star

I looked at her like I'm whipped as I sang.

 

I walked in front of her and kneeled on one knee.  I took her hand, not taking my eyes off her. I kissed it. "CLICHÉ  Fanservice. Only for the Ice Princess."


 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 15

(A Long Night with Jessica)


 

I raised my eyebrow at Jessica who’s grinning at me. She cocked her head to one side, holding her hands on her back as she stared at me. After bidding goodbye to Sooyoung and Hyoyeon, I walked Jessica to her room and the way she was looking at me would definitely keep me from sleeping in peace tonight.

 

“Jessica, stop giving me that look.”

 

“What look?” She asked, still grinning crazily like a spazzing teenager. Well, she was a teenager. I just never saw her spazzing before. It’s kinda creepy I tell you. Kinda cute too. Not that I would admit that.

 

“That creepy dreamy look you have on. Geez!”

 

“Why not?” She whined, pouting at me, only making my heart race in an uncomfortable manner.

 

“You’re making me uncomfortable!” I complained, rolling my eyes before averting my gaze away.

 

“Well what do you want me to do? Someone just serenaded me! It's just natural for me to act like this! I’m a girl you know, if that’s not so obvious to you, Kwon Yuri.” She mocked. 

 

“Fine! Be dreamy all you want! But don’t look at me like that! It’s not like it’s my idea or something!”

 

She suddenly stopped walking beside me. I glanced back at her and saw her wearing a frown.

 

“What now?”

 

“It’s not?”

 

“Yeah it’s not. Hyo come up with it.” I said grumpily, scratching my head. Well, the whole thing was mine except the song but could you blame me if I lie? I felt embarrassed to admit the truth to her for some reason.

 

I saw her cheery expression changed into a disappointed one. I sighed. Great. Don’t tell us we'll fight again after this.

 

I walked to her and pulled by her wrist. “Let’s go. It’s getting late. It’s been a long night. You need to sleep if you want to wake up early for our practice tomorrow morning.” Besides, I have a date tomorrow. Seo.

 

She pulled her wrist out of my grip and looked down sadly. I heard muttering something under her breath before she narrowed her eyes at me, glaring at me from behind  eyelashes. She scrunched up her nose before suddenly raising her hands like she was going to hit me. “Tsk!”

 

“Woah!” I jerked back, immediately shielding myself with my hands. The hell is wrong with her!?

 

She held her hand down and rolled her eyes before walking ahead of me, deliberately bumping her shoulders to mine.

 

“Jerk!” She hissed.

 

“Jerk? Hey! Take that back! I did sing for you!” I defended, walking behind her.

 

She turned her upper body slightly to face me. She looked at me from down to up. I was looking at her with a dumbfounded expression as she did so. “Yep. Still a jerk.” She deadpanned before walking ahead, her arms crossed.

 

My jaw dropped in disbelief. I tousled my hair in irritation. This woman! “Bipolar!” I hissed under my breath.

 

“I heard you.” She said coldly, not bothering to look at me and continued walking.

 

I stuck my tongue out and made faces behind her as I followed her upstairs.

 

We stopped in front of her room. I leaned on the wall, waiting for her to go in.

 

“Goodnight, I guess?” She said in an unsure manner. was still wearing a straight face when she said goodnight to me.

 

“Yeah. Goodnight.” I replied.

 

I eyed her from the corner of my eyes. I noticed she was hesitating to open the door. She held on the knob tightly with no intention of opening it. Then she hung her shoulder dejectedly.

 

“Yul, I’m not really sleepy yet.”

 

“Well, that’s your problem. I’m sleepy.” I said with a straight face.

 

“But I’m not sleepy yet!” She whined. I ignored her and readied to walk away, only to stop when she clung on my arm. I fought to urge to look at her when I heard her voice full of aegyo.  “Yuuuurrriiii-ah~”

 

I hate life!

 

“Okay! Fine! I won’t sleep yet. What do you want with me!?”

 

She smiled and patted my head. “Good boy.”

 

I felt the veins in my head popped, the corner of my mouth twitched in irritation. She’s treating me like a freakin dog!

 

“Now go down and get us some popcorn.” She pushed me slightly before running to her room and beamed, “We’re going to have a movie marathon! I’m so excited!”

 

My mouth hung open as I stood there, dumbfounded.  Of course, Yul. You knew this would happen.  

 

“Aish! Why the hell did I come back!?! I hate that brat!”

 

---

 

Boooorrriiiing.

 

We’re on our second movie. We’re in my room, both on the floor, lying on our stomachs. I stared blankly at the screen and popped popcorn on my mouth. Eating seemed to be my only way to fight the urge to sleep.

 

The movie was already on the scene where Cheol-su, the male protagonist, found his wife’s letter. I could hear Jessica sobbing beside me as Cheol-su started crying as he read Su-Jin’s letter. I stared cynically at the poor guy on the screen. ‘You know she’s sick. She had Alzheimer’s for God’s sake! You knew that would happen and now you cry? How pathetic.’

 

The endless sniffing of Jessica started to bug me. I threw popcorn on her head but she didn’t even flinch. She was focusing so much on the movie. I rolled my eyes when I noticed the tears flowing from her eyes. She didn’t even bother to wipe them.

 

I don’t get it. Why do girls love watching sad movies knowing that they’ll cry because of it? Do they love crying that much? What’s so good about tears? It’s messy. It’s wet. It’s salty. Plus, it made men uncomfortable. It made me uncomfortable.

 

I threw another popcorn on Jessica’s head to distract myself. And threw another. And another. And another till she finally acknowledged me.

                                                                           

“Stop it badly.” She said coldly, not taking her eyes off the screen. She sniffed and her eyes went into watery mode again.  I glanced at the screen. Cheol-su was now driving, on his hand was a letter. Su-Jin’s voice spoke in the background, telling the content of the letter.

 

I puffed my cheeks grudgingly, plopping my head on my arms. I turned my head sideways and stared at the crying Jessica. I don’t care about the movie anymore. I already know how it ends. Tiffany told me a million times before. She loved this movie. She even wanted to marry that fictional Cheol-su guy.

 

On cue, Jessica muttered. “I want a husband like him.”

 

“Tsch. As if.” I huffed irritably and glared at the guy on the screen. Tsch. He’s not even that good looking. I look better than him! You got bad bad taste Jessica.

 

The movie ended with Su-jin riding beside Cheol-su in the car in the sunset. He finally told her ‘I love you’ and the credits rolled.  

 

“Yes! The end! Finally!” I stretched my arms before I pulled myself to a sitting position. “I guess that ends it. Let’s go to sleep.” I said cheerfully.

 

Jessica was still sniffing beside me, wiping her tears with her arms, pouting like a child.

 

“Jessica, the movie ended.”

 

“And so?” She said nasally.

 

“So stop crying! Why are you such a crybaby?!” I complained.

 

“What could I do? I can’t stop it once I start crying!” She countered.

 

I sighed. “Come on, I’ll you to your room.” She nodded her head curtly before I stood up and pulled her up.

 

I was pulling her by the wrist as I led her outside. She was still crying.

 

“You know, you should stop watching sad movies if you’ll always act like that. You might get heart problems in the future.”

 

“But they’re so touching. Heartbreaking but sweet. I feel like I’m falling in love when I watch them and-and~”

 

“Okay. Okay. Whatever.” I said dismissively.

 

“Beside, at least they got a chance to be happy despite the sad ending.” She muttered in undertone.

 

“Say’s someone who’s got herself a fiancé and is living the life of a princess.”

 

She scowled. Before I could have the chance to feel relief because she finally stopped crying, she already hit my head.

 

“Ouch! What the~”

 

“Like I wanted to marry that idiot Onew!”

 

“You don’t?”

 

“Are you out of your mind? You met the guy. Is that someone you think I would want to marry? Think Yul. Think!”

 

What she said seemed to cheer my spirit up for some reason.

 

“So why did you agree to be his fiancée?” I inquired.

 

“It’s not like I could disagree. My dad wanted me to marry him since he’s the son of my father’s partner at the law firm.”

 

I started grinning.

 

“And so? Don’t do it if you don’t want to.” I scoffed.

 

“You don’t know my dad.” She said with a straight face on.

 

“That doesn't change anything. It's your life. You should be the one deciding how to live it, shouldn't you?" I felt so hypocritical. I couldn't even decide on how to live my life.  

 

Well, that's why I got myself in this situation, didn't I? So that I could live my life the way I want to. I guess, I'm not that bad of a hypocrite in the end. 

 

"Enough with this. You’re asking way too many questions.” She said dismissively, the tone of her voice sounded defensive.

 

We stopped in front of her room. Once again, I waited for her to go in. I thought my night would finally end until she let go of the knob and faced me. I raised my eyebrow curiously. Now what?

 

She was looking down when cleared and spoke.

 

“Yul, mind if I show you something?”


 

 


A/N: The movie they were watching is called A Moment to Remember. (My all time Favorite)

Thank you all for reading. 

Special thanks to BuddhaBokChoy, prizzychic1, CoffeeMillk and Ramy24 for the upvote.

Feebacks would be nice.