The Day After

What Makes a Rock Star

“Promise?”

 

I didn’t answer. Instead, I put my arms around her and pulled her closer. Minutes later, she relaxed on my arms.

 

As the brat’s light snores began to resonate in the room, I looked down at her and brushed her bangs gently to the side. I placed my chin on top of her head lightly and whispered against her hair, "You’re making things harder for me, brat.”


 

What Makes a Rock Star

 

Chapter 20

(The Day After)


 

May it be waking up in my room or in a bar’s private lounge or in some hotel with a woman sleeping beside me (Yes, I was this young and already that ed up.), I always woke up with the same frustrated feeling of having to endure another day of the same old routine intended to keep my fame up. Another day of flashing half-wicked smirk; a gimmick that Shin Young, my manager, insisted to maintain my bad boy image. Another day of meeting important people, smiling at them and pretending I was as cool and as important. Another day of hoping and failing to find something that would tell me that somewhere someone could see past my face and actually listen to my music.

 

Waking up in the morning was like ending a nightmare to face an even worse one. It was the torture I’ve been waking up to for as long as I could remember.

 

When did the frustration start? I couldn’t point it out. When did it start fading? I couldn’t point out either. All I know was that when I woke up this morning, with Jessica on my arms, the daily bit of torture was gone. For the first time since, my morning was peaceful and painless; There was only me (Or rather, my crazy new found alter ego who loves kissing and cuddling and other romantic s.) and Jessica, who looked like an angel without wings, with freakishly still-perfect-looking morning hair tempting enough to actually made me reach for it, ran my hand on it and leaned in to sniff it.

 

Sniff it.

 

Sniff. It.

 

What the hell am I doing?!!?

 

I immediately let go of her hair as soon as I realized how hair--like behavior I’ve been acting. I put my hand up; an attempt to wash my hand’s previous deed, when Jessica shifted closer, making her face dangerously near right in front of mine. I could tell that she was still asleep but her free hand started reaching out like it was looking for something. I gulped nervously, pulling my head away. I had this feeling she’s off to grab my neck anytime from now.

 

Her hand found my shoulder. It ran on my arms, towards where my hand was. My heart, which was thumping erratically the whole time, took a sudden stop.  Jessica held my hand. Her fingers were interlaced with mine when she brought our hands in the space between us; right in front of our chests.

 

I could almost feel her heart beating against the back of my hand. Although it felt good, I didn’t like the way I was feeling. I also didn’t like when I thought I heard my alter ego screaming at my heart. Match Jessica’s heart’s rhythm, he said. Come on, Alter Ego! That’s too cheesy!

 

I had the urge to pull my hand away. Or push Jessica away. Anything to stop the feeling to spread and intoxicate me. The feeling was wrong! Everything about it was wrong! They should be!

 

I managed to exhale the air I’ve been holding since our faces’ distance stopped me from breathing.  Instead of looking away, I found myself staring at Jessica. My jaw clenched. Eyebrows furrowed on its own. That’s when I realized the painless and peaceful morning had ended. My previous frustrations disappeared only to be replaced by new ones. And just like before, I couldn’t do anything about it. Even if I could, I knew I shouldn’t.

 

Yeah.

 

I shouldn’t.

 

I shouldn’t.

 

I shouldn~

 

The warm sensation brushing against the back of my hand caught me off guard. I felt a squeeze in my heart as I looked at Jessica who’s nuzzling the back of my hand. She had shifted her position once again and was now curled in the sofa. I only had a side view of her face as I watched her lips make chewing motions before it settled to a thin smile. Even with all the contrasting thoughts on my mind, I found myself smiling as well. Suddenly, I thought there should be a rule that says a stubborn brat shouldn’t look like an angel. That’s unfair. Deceiving even.

 

I rested my forehead on top of her head. I curled my fingers so I could lock hers with mine before I closed my eyes.

 

See what I mean? Deceiving. Even my body said so.

 

We stayed like that for I don’t know how long. It was probably the longest moment of calmness we ever had together.

 

Until I opened my eyes and saw her staring at me, shock was evident on her face. Then she glared. That’s when hell broke loose.

 

---

 

“My manager will sue you if she sees this!” I exclaimed, pointing at the part of my shoulder that she bit when she woke up in my arms this morning. Freaking cat!

 

“So?” She said, looking outside instead of me.

 

“And you’ll go to jail, you abusive woman!”

 

“Oh! You see, dear. I think you forgot who my father is.” She pointed out blatantly, facing me with a sly smile.

 

“Oh! You see dear. I think you forgot I am freaking Kwon Yuri.” I said mimicking her tone. “Even if you don’t go to jail, if my fans knew of this, they will kill you! Now, say sorry!” I said demandingly.

 

“No.” She said flatly.

 

“Say it!”

 

“I said no.”

 

“Say it, you freaking brat!”

 

“No. You’re bald.” She countered, which was totally out of topic. My mouth was agape.

 

“Hey! That was below the belt!”

 

“Who cares?”

 

“I do! You’re talking about my hair!”

 

“You mean the hair you barely have? Baldy.” She smirked. “Just accept and get over it. This hair talk is getting old.”

 

“What the f~”

 

“We’re here.” Mr. Jan announced, looking at us from the front seat just before he stopped the car in front of the school’s gate.

 

Jessica looked at me with a thin victorious smile, fluttering her eyelashes mockingly and she flipped her hair just before she went out. I clicked my tongue as I stared at Jessica before I bid a quick goodbye to Mr. Jan.

 

“You know, I think this is a bad idea.” I said, following behind Jessica. I eyed her bag for a moment before I deliberately swiped it and carried it over my shoulder.

 

She stopped and snatched her bag away. She narrowed her eyes at me. “Yes, I know. You’ve saying that on and on the whole time during breakfast. But the thing is, I don’t care what you’re thinking. So shut it. Now, stop trying to carry everything for me. It’s bothersome.” She said coldly and walked again.

 

I ignored her and persistently tried to grab her bag which she kept shielding it away from me.

 

“Yu-Yu-Yujin!? Stop it!” She snapped, stomping her foot threateningly before she walked faster.

 

Getting impatient, I pulled her by the arm and made her turn to me. I looked straight to her eyes, making sure she got that I was done with her stubbornness. “You’re not even supposed to be at school. You’re supposed to be at the mansion. Resting.” I said seriously, still holding her wrist. “Now, if you don’t want me to drag you back home this instant, give me the freaking bag.”

 

She immediately diverted her gaze away and pulled her wrist out of my grip. She muttered grudgingly and shoved the bag to me. “Fine.” Flipping her hair irritably, she stomped away.

 

I rolled my eyes at her. “Once a brat, always a brat.” Then I followed behind her.

 

---

 

Jessica walked faster than I expected. Before I knew it, I already lost sight of her. I looked around as soon as I arrived at the entrance of the main hall, trying to figure where the brat may have gone when I heard someone calling from behind. I smiled as soon as I saw her.

 

“Oppa,” Seohyun approached me, holding her hands behind her.

 

“Hello, Seo.” I greeted. “Have you read the music book I gave you?” I inquired good-naturedly, possible places of Jessica whereabouts still shuffling on my mind. Just where did that brat go?!

 

“Neh, Oppa. It was really good.” She said cheerfully.

 

“Great then.” She held her head low and clamping her lips as she smiled shyly at the ground when I tousled her hair adoringly. “You apply all those things in your coming recital and I’m sure you’ll be all set.” I advised, to where she nodded timidly to.

 

Still bothered with Jessica’s sudden disappearance, I was to bid farewell when Seohyun’s soft voice interrupted me.

 

“W-Wait. Oppa, I~” Seohyun fidgeted before she finally revealed what she’s holding on her back. “I-I made this~” She said, holding out a blue lunch box.

 

“F-For me?” I asked stupidly, pointing at myself.

 

She nodded shyly, her cheeks blushing madly.  

 

I looked at Seohyun; naïve and innocent and found myself wincing when I looked at the lunchbox on top my hands. Inanimate and harmless. Clueless of how it was making me guiltier.

 

I gathered a large amount of air in my lungs before I managed to say, “Thank you.” I forced a smile. She bowed again. Hiding her face on her hair, she left as fast as the smile on my face faded.

 

I eyed the lunch box again; Jessica’s voice echoed in my head. “So… you like her, right? Seo Juhyun.” “Just… try not to hurt her, Yul. She’s so young. You might scar her.”

 

I gave a stifled, bitter laugh. Stupid brat. Saying things like none of what I did was her fault.

 

Shaking my head, I walked out of the main hall carrying the lunchbox in one hand. It weighed heavier with every step. I sighed and kept walking, a resolution was on my mind. By the way things were going; it’s obvious that the result I feared still stood inevitable. This… must stop.

 

---

 

I found Jessica in front of the locker room. She was standing by her locker, books and notebooks cluttered on the floor beneath her.  She was taking out the letters as usual but her aura was undeniably dark. Before, I intended to a bit as soon as I found her but seeing her now, I decided against it. It was a bad idea after all.

 

“What happened here?” I asked as I stared at the clutter.

 

“Dropped.” She answered nonchalantly, her back on me, still busy picking-up letters like they were most important and her books and notebooks didn’t matter.

 

Dropped? Why are they all over the corridor then?

 

I raised an eyebrow at her before worry me. I immediately hurried to her side, tempted the put my arms around her just in case she suddenly passed out. “Say. You’re dizzy, aren’t you?” I asked, both accusing and concerned. This was why I wanted her to stay home!

 

“Nuh.”

 

“No? How the hell did you drop them then?”

 

She faced me with a bored expression. “I don’t know. Just happened.”

 

“Tsst. I’m starting to get frustrated with the way you answer, you know. It’s not amusing anymore.”

 

“Good.” She said smugly before she closed her locker door with her elbow and started walking away, leaving her books and notebooks scattered on the floor.

 

“Hey! You forget to pick these up.” I pointed to her things.

 

“Nope.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“I’m not picking them up.” She said stubbornly, making my mouth agape from. She stopped and looked at me over her shoulder. “Are you staying here? I’ll go to my class now. See you later.”

 

“Hey! What the- You’ll just leave these here?!” I shouted behind her but she just kept walking. “Stubborn little brat!” I groaned. I crouched and was about to gather her things for her when she suddenly spoke.

 

“Don’t touch those.” Her voice was firm. I looked up to her and noticed the sudden tension forming on her shoulders. Her sudden intense aura and demands; they made no sense. “Even if you give them back to me, I’ll just throw them away so don’t waste your effort.”

 

“You serious?”

 

She didn’t answer my question. “Leave them be.” she said instead. Then I heard her muttering something incomprehensibly under her breath.

 

“Huh?”

 

“I said leave them be.” She said again, her voice still as rigid.  

 

I raised an eyebrow questioningly. Okay. She’s acting really weird. It was concerning.

 

“Why?” I asked bravely. Considering that I think she could snap at me any moment from now, asking her automatically qualified me to the brave category. HellSica is very very scary, I swear.

 

There was a pause. She sighed before she answered. “I just don’t like dirty things. Isn’t that enough of a reason?” The tiredness in her voice made me back off.

 

‘No.’ I wanted to say.  I shrugged my shoulders. “Oh. Well. At least take your notebooks then. Don’t tell me you don’t need your notes.” I pointed as I stood up and shoved my hand in my pocket.

 

Then she faced me with a sly smile. Her previous tension was instantly replaced by confidence. “I don’t.” She said with an air of arrogance. Honestly, what is she? A mood changing gecko? “I don’t need notebooks. Never needed them. I’m smart, you know.”

 

And here I was thinking I was the narcissistic one.

 

“Tsst. Yeah. Whatever.”

 

“See. You even admitted it yourself.” She laughed. It sounded forced for some reason. “Anyway, I need to go. See you at practice.” She waved chicly and left. I rolled my eyes.

 

As soon as she was out of the vicinity, I picked her things up and shoved them back to her locker. Honestly, I think Jessica was being ridiculous about throwing these just like that.

 

I was in the middle of piling the notebooks back in the locker when I saw something fell out from one of them. I narrowed my eyes as I stared down. It’s a picture. Actually, it was a collage of four images in one picture. I picked it up to look at it closer.

 

Eh?

 

I almost pushed my face on the picture as soon as I identified the faces in it. I shook my head in denial. I thought of possibilities that could falsify what I was seeing but it was too clear to doubt.

 

There were two girls in the picture. The images in the picture were taken during a birthday. Or birthdays. The varying number of candles in the cakes in the images told me each was taken on different years. The difference in the backgrounds suggested each were taken in different venues as well. It was always just the two of them in the pictures.

 

Always just Jessica…. and Yoona.

 

---

 

The whole time after that was a drag. No matter how hard I tried to focus on class Jessica kept coming to mind. I knew this would happen. Especially after what happened yesterday. I shouldn’t have let Jessica get her way!

 

The fact that I was still doubting if Jessica’s really well enough to attend class today was enough reason for me to spend the whole lunchtime acting like an anxious dog, looking for her. I didn’t even have time to savor Seohyun’s delicious cooking. I just quickly shoved everything on my mouth so I could already start looking for her.

 

I tried looking at her class, the school library, the music room, the cafeteria, the rooftop, the infirmary. I even almost barged in one of the ladies rooms when I thought I heard her voice coming from the inside. It was probably the most anxious time of my life. At every second that passed that I didn’t see her, images of the things she had done to me yesterday flashed on my mind. Only this time, I imagined her doing them to someone else. I swear I could feel my blood boil at the thought.

 

But I didn’t see her. No one had seen her. Or so they say. I didn’t really bite when students claimed they didn't know when I asked them. Especially since they were wearing coward-like expressions when they answered.

 

And now, in afternoon class, I couldn’t calm my nerves. I kept sneaking glances at the clock.  How long will these classes last?! I need to find and check on Jessica! I almost banged my desk from frustration. Luckily, I managed to stop myself just before my fist hit the surface.

 

I pressed my temple, eyes closed. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself. ‘It’s fine, Yul. It’s fine.  You told that brat to call if anything happened. You’re just thinking too much. Nothing bad could happen. Nothing as bad as you’re thinking, at least. I mean, what are the odds of Onew taking advantage of Jessica if ever she morphed back to that touchy-cat-state from yesterday. Huh! That’s not possible! Besides, Jessica just ditched their engagement party. It’ll take time before that jerk could have enough guts to come to school after that embarrassment. Right? ... Right?!!’ I asked myself. ‘Right, right.’ I answered my own thoughts, nodding to myself, eyebrows furrowed expressively. I shook my head. ‘Not possible. Totally. No. No. I mean… But.. But Onew is persistent! And capable! And full of !’

 

“!” My eyes widened on the realization, staring aimlessly. I wouldn’t have realized I hissed that out loud if our teacher didn’t call my attention.

 

“Mr. Kwon, everything alright?” He asked, sounding pissed.

 

My body automatically stood up straight. I gulped nervously. Remember the teacher that made me face the wall last time. He’s this one. Yes. I know. I’m dead.

 

I held my gaze low. I could feel his intense gaze burning a hole on my face. “Y-Yes sir.” I stuttered and peeked at him from the corner of my eyes. He didn’t seem convinced. I cowered on my seat, waiting for him to reply. I was holding my breath the whole time.

 

“Well then. You know the rules for inappropriate behavior in my class.” He said, putting a cold hand on my shoulder. I could imagine horns growing out on either side of his forehead.

 

I nodded sheepishly, stood up, walked to the corner and faced my latest and toughest best friend ever. The wall.

 

----

                                            

First place I went to after class was the music room.  If nothing bad had happened to Jessica, she would be there for sure.

 

Only, she wasn’t.

 

Someone else was.

 

“Oh. It’s you.” Yoona was standing by the piano, running her fingers on its surface. She smirked as soon as she saw me. “Looking for someone? Jessica, I guess?” She cocked her head to one side, only increasing my annoyance.

 

I raised an eyebrow questioningly. “How did you~”

 

Before I could finish, she already answered. “You’ve been asking everyone about her whereabouts during lunch so I kind of assume. I could say I assumed right, right?” She smiled smugly.

 

I held her equally provoking gaze. Then I shook my head. “This is a waste of time.” I said. Onew might be bothering Jessica right now. I had no time to spare.  

 

I had just turned to leave when Yoona spoke again. “I know where she is.”

 

I faced her again. That coy smile was still plastered on her face. And God, I’m hating it!

 

“You do?”

 

“Yes.” She said with a smirk. “But, I won’t tell you. She deserved what came for her.” She crossed her arms on her non-existent chest.

 

I felt my irritation piling up. I took two steps forward. “You’re really trying my patience, aren’t you?” She shrugged her shoulders. It was obvious she didn’t learn a lesson from last time. “You know. I don’t get you. Ever since, you’ve been lurking around trying to piss either Jessica or me. Why keep on disgracing Jessica in front of me? Why are you being so hostile? Why are you being such a… a ? The fact that you two used to be friends! Why are you being like this, Im Yoona? What’s your deal!?”  

 

I saw her face contorted with confusion then suddenly she laughed. She laughed menacingly loud, holding her stomach. Damn her. I clicked my tongue as I looked at her. It’s confirmed. She really was crazy.

 

“Friends? Us? Yeah. Right. As if I’ll let myself be friends with that .”

 

“Watch your mouth, Im Yoona. When I warned you before, I was being serious.” I warned. “And don’t deny you’ve been friends. I saw your pictures together.”

 

She snorted. “You know what, when I approached you, I was only trying to help you. But I can see now that you can’t be saved anymore. Jessica already brainwashed you. I just wish that you, and that witch is  not up to something with Seo. Because I’m not as nice as Yura, I’ll make you pay.” She threatened with a stoned expression.

 

My fist clenched on its own. If only she was a guy, I would have punch him right there. “You’re sick.”

 

“I’m flattered.” She countered slyly. Flipping her hair to one side, she said, “You better search for that girl now. Wherever she was, she was there since lunch time. Probably really hungry by now too.”

 

Despite the urge to end the confrontation with an insult, I swallowed my pride. I didn’t want to admit it but she was right. I wasted too much time here.

 

With a clenched jaw, I turned away from her and ran out. As I continue my search, one question echoes in my mind.

 

Who the hell is Yura?

 

---

 

After a long aimless journey around the school and persistent questioning from other students, who, I’d like to point out, seemed to have found a newfound respect for me after the incident with Yoona the other week, I finally figured where Jessica went. And apparently, she didn’t go there alone.

 

I was fuming with anger as I ran to the gym. One of the students saw Hara, Jiyoung and what’s-her-name ushered Jessica there. No one could tell why? Or, no one would. But there was a glint of fear on the eyes of each of the students whom I asked that question n. That alone was enough for me to tell something was wrong.  

 

“Je—Sica!? Sica!?” I yelled inside the empty gym, the sound of the floor as it met the sole of my shoes echoed as I walked inside. I scanned almost everything around the corner but there was no sign of the brat. I clicked my tongue in irritation as I tried to recall and memorize the face of the student who told me Jessica was here. He’s going to pay for trolling me like this!

 

My phone suddenly ringing interrupted me as I thought of ways how I could give the trolling guy a payback. I took it out and felt a slight relief when Jessica’s number flashed on the screen. After clearing my throat, I brought the phone to my ears and talked in feign calmness. “Hello?”

 

“In the far corner of the gym, you’ll see a two way door. It’s a stockroom. Unlock it.” Said Jessica and ended the call without further explanation.

 

I looked at the phone, wondering why, even though her voice seemed calm, I felt like she was holding something in the back of that she wouldn’t let out.

 

Not wasting any more time, I went to the two way door and opened it. I was still wondering why Jessica wanted me to open it when light shone inside the room and revealed Jessica. She was leaning back against one of the upside down chairs. She stared at me with a stoic expression before she kicked the chair behind her and walked out. That’s when I noticed that the books and notebooks that I put back on her locker were lying on the floor. Ripped. Torn.

 

This is bad. Really really bad.

 

She paid no attention to the surprise on my expression. She acted like it was nothing. As if being locked inside storage rooms was something she lived with everyday. She was not crying. Or afraid.

 

And, I thought, it was worse.  

 

“W-What happened~” I inquired but she cut me off.

 

“Nothing. Let’s go.”  She said dismissively, already walking past me. I hold her wrist tightly.

 

“How the~ I put those back to  your locker.” I said, referring to her things that were now scattered on the floor.

 

“Yes, you did. Even when I told you don’t.” I turned to Jessica. My mind seemed not working. Is she… blaming me for this? She looked at me sideways. I didn’t like the expression on her face. It was so… blank. “This is why you shouldn’t clean up other people’s messes, Kwon Yuri.”

 

I felt something stirred inside of me when Jessica faced me completely. I could only look at her, holding her unfazed cold gaze. It was not that long since I last saw those eyes but for some reason, their usual effect on me didn’t happen. They were neither scary nor unsettling. On that time, they seemed lonely.

 

She cocked her head to the side as she said, “You can go. I’ll just check on something in my locker.” She said that nonchalantly but the indifference in her tone bothered me.

 

Without bothering to wait for my reply, she started walking out. I was too perplexed to say or do something. I just stood there; the image of her eyes was all I could see.  

 

“What-W-What,” I said when I managed to snap out of it. I heard her footsteps stopped. “What were you doi- How did you… Inside there… What really happened?” I scrambled for words.  

 

She looked at me over her shoulder, cold eyes still on. “Nothing important. Can I go now?”

 

“No. Not until you tell me what happened. Someone told me you were with those student council es! For God’s sake! How the hell did you end up being inside the freaking storage room?!” I shouted, gesturing to the room to emphasize. I strode to where she was when she didn’t answer. I put my hands on her shoulders so she couldn’t turn away. “Did they do this to you?! Tell me! I know you’re not stupid enough to be stuck in such place, Sica! Tell me!” My eyes were wide and furious. The fact that I couldn’t make my hands hold her any gentler than tight was enough proof to that.

 

She scoffed and tried to shrug my hands off. “Don’t you think you’re overreacting?”

 

“Look! First, you’d drunk your heart out. Then I discovered you ditched your engagement. Then you got sick and erted and touchy and needy. I almost died worrying about you from all that! I’m not in the mood for your , Jessica! I’m done! The worry was killing me! Now, answer my question!” I screamed. At her.

 

Even with her non-reaction, I realized I was wrong for screaming at her. I shook my head, blaming it to my frustration and impatience. “Just... answer me. Answer me honestly.  Please.”  My voice softened with my expression.

 

There was a long pause.

 

I almost held my hope up when I heard her sigh before she finally spoke. A sigh sometimes precedes relaxation, opening up and truth telling. It could mean something good.

 

But the truth she said was something I didn’t want to hear.

 

“You’re here to help me win the contest. Only that. Nothing else.” Her words were harsh slaps of reality. My hands clenched on its own as I held my silence. “Please, don’t push your nose on other people’s business.” She said.

 

I didn’t realize how badly I was trying to keep myself from screaming at her again until she said, “Wait for me in the music room. I’ll see you at practice.” and left.

 

I felt like I was choking by my own voice as I stood there. I wanted to scream but I couldn’t. I wanted to complain but there’s no one to listen. It was frustrating. I held on to my head, feeling like squeezing the hell out of my brain. “You’re the one ing up my business, brat.” I muttered with gritted teeth.  “I promised I’d never let things turn this way. You freaking bent everything away.”


 

 


A/N: I feel bad for having Yul call Yoona a . :(

So... This chapter is not fluffy at all but I do hope it didn't bore you a lot.

Thank you all for supporting this story. Please do comment. 

Special thanks to yulsicsaranghae,kristym, methology and candy_89 for upvoting. It means a lot to me.