When Everything Messed Up

What Makes a Rock Star

 

I almost forgot how to breathe as I pulled away and stared at her innocent face. After kissing her forehead for the last time, I lay down beside her with a bitter smile. For a good while, I just stared at her. 

 

'I think I’m in love with you.'

 

“Brat,” was all I said.

 

And then, I let her go.


 

What Makes a Rock Star

 

Chapter 25

(When Everything ed Up)


 

“Oh, you’re awake.”

 

I hurriedly stood up from the piano seat as soon as I saw Jessica at the top of the stairs. Scrambling to clean up the papers scattered at the top of the piano, I side glanced at Jessica who continued to go down the stairs. Gone was the slight swelling on her cheeks but I frowned when I saw her bandaged wrist.  

 

“Yes, obviously. What are you doing?” She raised an eyebrow. Tilting her head, she looked at the music sheets, on my hands. “Are you-"

 

“Uh, nothing,” I immediately rolled the sheets and shoved it on my back pocket, scrubbing my hands on the sides of my shirt nervously. “Is your hand okay?” I said, shifting the conversation to her. I tried to reach out for her hand, just to have a better look, and immediately regretted the decision when she stepped back.

 

 “It’s okay now. Thanks,” She looked away, “Though, I don’t think I could play the piano at practice today.”

 

I nodded absently, only half listening. The rejection felt like a punch in the gut. Like a reminder.

 

You said, you’d let her go, Yuri. Why are you even trying now? Look at what you got.

 

“That’s alright. I could always play for you, if you can’t.” I forced a smile, hoping she’d smile back but she didn’t. I felt the tension in the air forming and began to shift uncomfortably, "So, uhm, did you sleep well?"

 

"Yes," She brought her hand to and cleared , ears turning beet red, "Thank you for letting me use your bed last night."

 

"It's okay. I couldn't sleep last night anyway." 

 

There was an awkward silence and us just standing there, looking anywhere but each other. Then I remembered Shinyoung’s text. 

 

“Uhm. Right. I received a text from my manager last night. She asked me to come to the company today so, uhm… perhaps, if it's okay with you, can I-”

 

“Sure. I need to go somewhere first thing today anyway,” Jessica shrugged before she walked past me, going to the direction of the dining room. That’s when I noticed that she’s wearing casual clothing instead of the plain clothes she usually wore at home.

 

When she noticed I’m not following, she looked at me over her shoulder, raising an eyebrow, “Aren’t you coming? Have you already eaten breakfast?”

 

I shook my head, smiling apologetically, “Not yet. Uhm, I think I’ll just get something to eat outside after I go.” I mustered a strained smile. If I would let her go, it's better to distance myself now.

 

I walked past her and then suddenly she turned to me, distress written on her face, “Listen, Yuri. About yesterday, I’m-"

 

“It’s okay," I said without a beat, "Anyway, I think I better get ready now before I get late and get scolded again.” I quickly turned my back on her and jogged up the stairs,  “Enjoy your breakfast!” I quirked with a wave of a hand.

 

My hand clenched on its own when I heard her sigh and I didn’t dare look back.

 

‘You know it’s better this way, Kwon. She told you to stay away, remember?’

 

---

 

“What the hell is this ?” I tossed the articles back to Sunny’s table before plopping to the seat beside her desk.

 

They were about the scandals I got into almost two years ago.

 

Top star with anger issues. Drunk vocalist hit a waiter. Production staff hints about a top vocalist’s bad behavior. Cliché Vocalist Kwon Yuri dating Top Actress Son Ye Jin.

 

Sunny looked at them briefly, calm and collected. Her hands were clamped on top of her crossed legs and it stayed like that when she shifted her gaze back at me, “You tell me, Yuri. Your recklessness caused them, not me.”

 

“But those happened two years ago! I thought we already cleared those up! Why the hell are they bringing that up again?”

 

“I don’t know too. That’s why I asked you here.”

 

“And how am I supposed to know the answer?!”

 

She sighed, “You see, these issues were already long forgotten by the netizens. I got them all taken care of before, but last night, these articles resurfaced again and became a hot topic in twitter and naver. Three hours after that, a rumor came out about you neglecting the band and about some people seeing you around the Hongdae area with a girl. ”

 

“You mean Seohyun?” I said, straightening up on my seat, “We were just buying guitar!” Half truth. But really, how could you even call that a date? We didn’t even get to have dinner together.

 

“But your fans didn’t know that. This is why I asked you to be careful! And who is this Seohyun? I thought you were staying with the judge’s daughter.”

 

“Jessica, Sunny. Her name is Jessica. How many times do I have to tell you to stop labeling her or calling her names? And to answer: Yes, I’m still staying at Jessica’s. Seohyun is Jessica’s schoolmate, an aspiring pianist and there’s nothing going on between us.”

 

“Hmmm, okay. Regardless of that, I just want you to be extra careful. Now, that you’ve become a hot topic, people will pay more attention to you and I don’t want you in another scandal, not as long as you’re under my company. Understand?” I nodded before lolling my head forward and pressed fingers on my temple. I feel like my head will explode. Everything just keeps getting messier by the day.

 

I heard Sunny stood up then a folder landed on the table. I looked up and Sunny was already standing by the window.

 

“What’s this?”

 

“Read it.”  

 

I took the folder and opened it, “What the- Another contract? What is this one for this time?”

 

“It’s all written clearly there, Yuri. It’s an offer from Universal Japan. A four year contract. Cliché’s promotion activities are exclusive only in Japan. They plan to make you guys bigger. The other four already agreed. ”

 

“What? I thought we had a deal. I’m quitting, Sunny!” For some reason, this time, that left a bitter taste on my mouth, “You asked me to write a song and you’d let me go! That’s why I’m in this mess in the first place!”   

 

Sunny crossed her arms. The seriousness in her voice was unsettling that I couldn’t make myself look her in the eyes, “Look, Yuri. I don’t think you’re really seeing what situation you’re in right now. If things keep going like this, with you producing more scandals than actual profit, I don’t think it would be a good idea to keep you in the company anymore. Keep in mind that until you’ve given me your last song, you’re still under the conditions of your first contract with us, which means if things get to the point that you’ve become a bad asset to the company, we could drop you. As much as you’re important to us, you all are our liability, Yuri and I can’t let the others be compromised for the sake of one. Do you understand me?”

 

I gritted my teeth and swallowed the lump formed in my throat.

 

“I do.”  

 

I did perfectly. I knew how scandals could change things drastically in this business and I knew, too, that my members don’t deserve to face the consequences of my bad decisions. They’ve been nothing but supportive with me.

 

“So why are you giving this to me, Sunny,” I sighed, holding the folder up, “You could just drop me if things do get nasty.”

 

“If things get bad before you manage to give me the song or you’ve changed your mind about leaving, I want you to sign the contract. You might not be profitable here but we could still sell you guys in Japan. The contract will make you stay in Japan in four years span so you could focus on your promotional activities there. They want you to learn the language and culture, as well. It’ll benefit your band’s image. Just like what I said, they plan to make you guys bigger.”

 

I paused to take everything in but no matter how much I think, I still don’t figure why Sunny suddenly would give me such an option. “I don’t understand. Why would you do this, Sunny? I mean, why give me an option? Why would you… save me?”

 

A long pause, “Have you seen the inner side of the back of the folder?”

 

I furrowed my eyebrow before going through the pages. My eyes widened when I saw the paper pasted on the inner side of the folder. My mouth hung open, “A petition?”

 

“Yes, your members signed them. Apparently, they want you in no matter what,” Sunny said in a beat.

 

I couldn’t answer, shocked and touched at the same time.

 

“It’s just an option, Yuri. A back up plan. You don’t have to decide yet. I just want to let you know.”

 

I nodded, staring at my band mates’ signatures and suppressed the urge to laugh when I saw Fany’s.

 

Hwang Miyoung XOXO <3

 

“Just take the folder with you for now while you think about it. This meeting is done. You can go,” Sunny said dismissively before she picked up the phone and dialed for her secretary, “Hyomin, you can let Mr. Takeshima in now,” Then she smiled, first smile I saw since… I honestly couldn’t remember, “Yes, a coffee would be nice. Thank you, Hyomin-nie,” Then she caught me staring and cleared , “Make it fast.”

 

She raised an eyebrow at me as soon as she ended the call, “Why are you still here?”

 

I shifted on my seat, uncomfortably, “I- Uhm- Okay. I’ll go.” I stood up taking the folder with me only to stop by the door to turn to Sunny, who’s checking herself out through her Iphone. She stopped, almost awkwardly when she saw me looking.

 

“What!?” She huffed, sounding almost annoyed, her face reddening.

 

“N-Nothing. I just… I just want to thank you. Thank you, Sunny.”

 

She nodded dismissively, giving me the same professional smile she always had on. Though, it looked softer this time, “No problem. I’m still looking forward for the song you’ll be writing. Good luck, Yuri-ah.”

 

‘Yuri-ah.’

 

That was the first time since Sunny took over the company that I walked out of her office feeling a little better than when I came in.

 

---

 

When I returned to the Jung’s, Jessica was yet to arrive so I busied myself with writing the song I’ve started working on last night. It’s kind of lame really, but it suddenly came out of the blue and I just have to write the whole thing down before I forget.

 

I was in the middle of arranging some of the melodies in the song when I heard the maids greet Jessica and I immediately put away my things.

 

“You’re back earlier than expected.” Jessica greeted me with a weary smile.

 

I just nodded, hand tightening to the rolled sheet of papers. “Uhm, I used your piano again. Sorry. I was just –"

 

“It’s okay.”

 

“But, last time I used it, you-”

 

“I got really y.”

 

“Hey, I didn’t say that!”

 

She laughed a little, “It was true. You don’t have to sugarcoat it. I was really stressed on that time with the engagement thing and the contest and everything else. I kind of vented all my stress all out at you.” The corner of her lips curled up into a small smile, “I don’t really mind if you use the piano, Yuri, and I really am sorry that happened.”

 

I could clearly see the sincerity in her eyes, something she rarely shows, and for a moment I felt like she’s opening up for me again. Even before I could realize what I was doing, I was already ruffling her hair affectionately.

 

“It’s fine, brat. If it’s you, I don’t really mind.”

 

Jessica’s eyes widened. I felt  her body tensed on my touch.

 

Crap!

 

I retracted my hand and looked away, flustered by the sudden abundance of emotions I saw on her eyes. My heart beat frantically in my chest, afraid of being rejected like the last time, “Uh, sorry about that. I- I know you don’t want me to-”

 

A warm hand held my wrist in place before I could fully retract it.

 

I turned my gaze to Jessica only to see her head hung low, half of her face hidden behind her bangs. I saw her bit her lips nervously. Her voice was careful as she spoke, “Yul, about what happened yesterday… I’m… I just want to…” Her voice began quivering. She took a deep breath, “I –”

 

The doorbell rang.

 

“I’m-”

 

But before she could continue, the doorbell rang again, this time, longer, followed by impatient knocks that both made us turn to the door. I heard Jessica hissed under her breath, muttering something I couldn’t make out before her grip on my wrist loosened and eventually let go.

 

“I’ll go get the door,” Jessica muttered. She didn’t wait for me to answer after she excused herself. She ducked her head as she walked past me. I could still feel the warmth of her hand linger on my skin as I followed her with my eyes on her way to the door. The thumping of my heart grew steadier as our proximity grew farther and I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding. Just seeing Jessica go left an aching feeling in my chest. Damn it, this is really getting out of hand.

 

Jessica was in the process of opening the door when suddenly, my phone rang. Cursing under my breath, I took it out and answered the call, absently putting the phone on my ear without bothering to check who it is. I heard the door creaked in the background.

 

“I’m here. Where are you?” 

 

My eyebrows furrowed at the familiar voice, panic slowly settling in, “T-Tiffany?”

 

My gaze shifted to where Jessica was. She was standing by the door motionless as if she was frozen in place. I cocked my head and narrowed my eyes to get a better view but even before my eyes could adjust properly to the contrasting light coming from outside, a familiar loud voice echoed in the hall, “So blondie… I take it you’re Jung Jessica?”

 

My jaw dropped and I almost fell as I scampered to where Jessica stood. My eyes almost fell out of its socket when I saw the figures standing by the door.

 

Taeyeon waved timidly, offering an apologetic smile while the girl beside her brought her phone down and crossed her arms, eyebrows raised, challenging eyes never leaving the still flabbergasted Jessica. A familiar paper bag was hooked on her left arm.

 

“Tiffany?!? What the- What are you guys doing- UGH!”

 

Tiffany didn’t even need to look at me. One moment she was just reaching for something inside the paper bag and in a blink of an eye, even before my mind could process everything, a container of gummy bears flew in my direction and hit me right in the gut. 

 

Taeyeon winced.

 

Jessica’s jaw dropped.

 

I in a breath, hissing through the pain, holding on my stomach for the life of me as I dropped on my knees.

 

Tiffany huffed, a smirk forming on her face.

 

“Long time no see, you stupid jerk.”


 

 


A/N: I did tell you guys to forget about SooSun, didn't I? BTW Long time no see, you cutie pies. I'm back. Glad my decision to focus on writing oneshots to get be back in writing my ongoing was not futile. Thank you for staying and supporting this fic. :3