Prologue and The Meeting

What Makes a Rock Star

PROLOGUE




 

Holding my pair of red stiletto, I ran aimlessly. I almost tripped but I didn’t care. I just want to get as far away from there.

 

I heard a voice of someone yelling from behind. I ignored it. Yell as loud as you can but I won't look back. I can’t let anybody look at my pathetic side.

 

I remembered those cruel eyes looking back at me, making me feel more pitiful than I already am. I could still hear their laugh ringing in my ears. It makes me feel disdain; making me feel more worthless and shameful.

 

I picked up my pace when I heard the voice getting louder and louder. Still, I ran, disregarding that blunt pain my wounded feet is inflicting. I didn't even bother thinking anymore. Then suddenly I heard a screeching sound coming meters away from me. I stopped and snapped my head to the blinding  light directed at me. I stood there motionless,shocked; waiting for that impending blow...then everything turns to black.


 

 


Note: This is from the POV of the female lead but the rest (maybe) of the story will be seen in the POV of the male protagonist.





 

What Makes a Rock Star


 

Chapter 1

(The Meeting)




 

“Tsk.”

 

This is taking too long.

 

“Tsk.”

 

My eyebrows furrowed on its own as I tapped my feet continuously.

 

“Tsk.”

 

I looked at the window, scanning the crowd while mentally preparing myself to bear another four hours of frustration.

 

“Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.”

 

I took a discreet glance at my band members. As usual, Tae was staring outside, looking nowhere in particular. Hyo had his eyes closed while bobbing his head to the beat of the song playing on his earphones. Fany was holding her “Bible” as she chewed her beloved gummy bears while Soo was eyeing Fany, or rather, Fany’s food silently.

 

“Aish!” I banged the seat hard enough to startle everyone. “Are they really going to make us wait this long?” I screamed in irritation.

 

“Chill, Yuwree. You’ll ruin your makeup.” Fany said with an innocent expression and pouted cutely.

 

“Yeah man, chillax and enjoy the fun.” Soo said but I could see his hands creeping slowly at the gummy bears while Fany was not looking.

 

Fun? What fun? This is simply  stressful. Not fun!

 

“Darn it.” I muttered under my breath.

 

“EVERYONE. GET READY. YOU’LL BE ON IN 50 SECONDS.” Said the irritating voice coming from my ear phone.

 

Everyone stopped what they’re doing and prepared themselves. I closed my eyes as I listened to the counting voice. I inhaled deeply and held my breath. 

 

Ten.

Nine.

 

I opened my eyes and did the face stretching exercise.

 

Seven.

Six.

Five.

 

“AND TO NOT MAKE YOU WAIT MORE….!!!” I heard someone shouting from outside.

 

Three.

Two.

 

This is it.

 

The door of the van opened and I put on a lopsided smile immediately as the spotlights from outside started to illuminate us, blinding as with brightness.

 

“KOREA’S... HOTTEST… ROCK… BAND!!!....... CLICHÉ!!!!”

 

The fans cheered loudly.

 

I made my way out of the van and cockily eyed the fans before smirking. 

 

“YUL-OPPA!!! SARANGHAE!!!!” screamed the fans in unison. I gave them a playful salute and put my left hand on my pocket before unfolding the other to my side, waiting for Tiffany to hold it.

 

But of course.

 

She would not hold it.

 

She moved out of the van, disregarded my hand and made her way to the center stage without even looking at me. I smirked and followed her. Deliberately putting on an arrogant expression, I tried to disregard the screams of the rows of fans as I made my way  on the pathway between them.

 

Fany walked like she’s the most rebellious girl in the world, chewing her gummy bears which they thought as bubble gum. She waved cockily at the fans as soon as she arrived at the stage. I stood beside her, pretending to be nonchalant of the fans that are now screaming their lungs out; calling our names.

 

The fans started chanting. “CHOI SOOYOUNG! KIM TAEYEON! KIM HYOYEON! HWANG TIFFANY! KWON YURI!”

 

I looked at Tae, who’s now in the process of kissing the hand of one of the fans. He’s on with the fan service again.

 

Behind him, Hyoyeon was waving at the fans excitedly like it’s the most lovable activity he does every day of his life.

 

Sooyoung moved out of the van last. He bowed to the fans before he silently made his way to join us on stage.

 

I almost laughed seeing everyone portraying their images with ease.

 

They were the ones playing it.

 

I was the only one who actually owned it.

 

Kim Taeyeon the Charmer.

 

Choi Sooyoung the Mysterious.

 

Kim Hyoyeon the Cheerful.

 

Hwang Tiffany the Rebellious.

 

And Kwon Yuri the Snob Musical Genius.

 

That's us for the fans. We're members of Cliche. Korea's hottest rock band.

 

A smile played on my lips. What the hell was up with this concept? It’s childish. Yet the fans love it.

 

Just ridiculous. 

 

As soon as all of the members were on stage, a loud rolling sound of drums erupted and the MC asked us to look behind us to see a very big poster unfold. The fan cheered even more.

 

“Wow.” I heard Hyoyeon mutter beside me. I looked at it, unamused but I managed a smile.

 

The MC started his rehearsed blabber and I looked at the crowd listening attentively to everything he said. I don’t give a damn about what he’s saying. The script says he won’t interview us.

 

“NOW, ENOUGH FOR THE INTRODUCTION! ARE YOU READY THE SEE CLICHÉ PERFORM NOW?” beamed the MC to the fans.

 

“NEEEEEEHHHH!” The crowd cheered in all enthusiasm.

 

I forced a smile. Gee. I wonder how long this would take this time.

 

“LET’S ALL GIVE AROUND OF APPLAUSE….. GIVE IT UP FOR…… CLICHÉ!!!”

 

Oh. Well. Here goes nothing.






 

Even tired of the performance, we still have to stay for the fan signing event. That was the part I particularly hated.

 

“You’re so handsome!!” Said the girl while looking at me with an awed expression. 

 

“Thank you.” I said with a forced smile, giving her the signed paper. She bowed and giddily made her way out of the line.

 

“Name?” I asked the next fan without even looking.

 

“I-Im Yoona.” She stuttered. I looked up and saw her with a star struck expression. I immediately beamed a smile. She’s pretty.

 

“You have a pretty name, Yoona. But it couldn't be any prettier than you.” I said and smirked at her playfully. 

 

“T-T-Thank you.” She said as she tried to hid behind her hair because of shyness. Her cheeks were all red.

 

“So.. tell me.. why did you choose my lane?” I asked one of my most favorite questions.

 

“Because you’re so handsome. I’m your number one fan, Oppa.” She said and smiled at me. Up until now, I haven’t heard my desired response to that question.

 

“Thank you.” I said and scribbled at her paper. I gave it to her and she bowed to me. “Yoona-ssi.” I called at her before she went down. “Will I see you again next time?” I smiled at her. Constant flirting is not bad. Adds more fans, believe me.

 

She looked at me with a stunned expression. “Y-Y-Yes Yul oppa. I’ll always support you!” She replied.

 

“Fighting.” I said with a suggestive smile, gesturing the fist pump action.

 

“N-Neh.” She stuttered. She bowed slightly before finally taking her leave.

 

My smile immediately faded as soon as she’s out of sight. I massaged my aching temple. Meeting such beauty like her might had made events like this less painful but honestly, it's just not enough sometimes. 

 

"Next." I announced and gestured for the next fan to approach. “Name?” I asked in an uninterested tone, giving the fan a quick look from head to toe. 

 

She’s wearing a ray ban that hides her eyes from the view and a scarf was covering half of her face and her hair. 

 

“I-I-I-I’m… Ahhhmmm.. I’m..” She started fidgeting. She's looked around nervously as if looking for a possible clue what to say next.

 

The poor girl forgot her name.  My, my. How unfortunate.

 

How bothersome. She's taking too much time.

 

I managed a brief sinister smirk which I immediately changed to a pleasant smile when she looked up to me. 

 

“I-I’m Jessica. Jung Jessica.” She said in almost a whisper, burying her face further behind the scarf. I noticed her looking cautiously from left to right. 

 

This girl is weird. 

 

“Your name sounds foreign, Jessica-ssi.” I said, trying to sound as pleasant as I could.

 

“Yes it is. That’s because I was brought up in America.” She said, this time, without stuttering. 

 

“I see.” I said as I began scribbling her name on the paper. “So mind telling me why you choose my lane?”

 

She fidgeted as think of an answer. "I-I-..." She peeked at me briefly and looked down again. 

 

I just eyed her expectantly, reluctant to give her the paper before I got my answer. 

 

“I’m your b-biggest fan.” She looked further down, which made it possible for me to get a glimpse of her eyes. I smiled. What beautiful eyes she got.

 

“I see.” I said, masking my disappointment with a timid nod. I was really hoping this one was different. Unfortunately, she’s not.

 

I gave her the paper. She walked slightly and walked away. That's when I saw something shiny fall from her hands.

 

“Hey! Wait!” I shouted to her. My voice startled her as well as the other fans. She suddenly glanced back, making that scarf on her head go down, exposing her beautifully curved blonde locks.

 

I hurriedly picked up the bracelet on the floor and found myself stunned. I saw her face so close to mine when I looked up. My body jerked backwards instinctively. I looked away, feeling flustered.

 

“T-Thank you." She said with a timid nod. "They’re very important to me.” She said gratefully and smiled. Such a nice smile she had.

 

I smiled back, putting the bracelet back on her wrist. “There. I suggest you have them repaired, I think the lock is getting loose already.” 

 

“Thank you, Kwon-ssi.” She said.

 

“Kwon-ssi? Why not Yul oppa?” I suggested playfully and pouted.

 

Charms, guys, that’s one of the secrets. 

 

“I don’t just call anybody oppa.” She pointed out goodnaturedly.

 

I grinned. "Why n~"

 

“Thank you again. Good luck to you. I really love your songs.I listened to them everyday. Continue to make good music, okay?” She said before she walked away. 

 

My grin immediately faded. I was about to call after her when my manager, Kim Shinyoung called after me.

 

“Your fans are waiting for Yul-ssi.” She said when I faced her.

 

I glanced back to search for the girl but she's not there anymore.

 

With a heavy heart, I walked back to my seat and continued the fan signing.








 

“Quiet.”

 

“Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!”

 

“Quiet.”

 

“Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!”

 

“Quiet!”

 

“Pfffffttttsss. Bwaaahahahha.” They laughed and started rolling on the carpet.

 

 I eyed at Soo who’s laughing out loud pointing at the screen. He gave Hyo a high-five and they started laughing like lunatics.

 

 “Aisssh!” I groaned in frustration and banged the desk.

 

“Yul! Be quiet!” said Hyo complained narrowing his eyes on me briefly before returning his attention to the TV.

 

My jaw almost dropped open. I glared at them but they’re not paying attention.

 

We were back at the studio. Hyo and Soo were busy watching 'Running Man' reruns, shoving mouthful of popcorns to their mouth non-stop while I sulked on the corner trying to summon my song writing spirit. The corner of my mouth twitched in annoyance because of the laziness of these two.

 

I crumpled the piece of paper I was previously writing on and threw it at them.

 

“Ouch! Who threw…? Uh-oh.” Hyo elbowed Soo as he eyed me; his face was slowly turning pale.

 

I slowly made my way to the two. I was smirking evilly as I approached them.

 

“Soo!”

 

“Whut?” Sooyoung answered him, his mouth full of popcorn. His eyes never left the monitor.

 

Hyo shook Soo’s shoulder in desperation but Soo just shrugged him off. Slowly, he dragged himself backwards as he looked at me in terror.

 

I kicked the table hard, making Soo look at me. I smirked even wider and cocked my head to the side.

 

“Woah. Yul, easy man.”

 

“How many times did I tell you to be quiet?” I asked as I gave them an evil glare. Soo crawled to the shaking Hyo’s side and tried to hide behind him. “How many?!!”

 

“We’ll be quiet now, Yul. We promise.” They said in unison and hugged each other.

 

These guys.

 

“Aish!” I kicked the sofa and grumpily made my way back to the desk. I glared at them who are still cowering in the corner.

 

I turned my attention back to the music sheets spread on my table. I’ve been staring at them for hours now and I still haven’t come up with something good to start with! my life!

 

“Yo,” I heard someone say from behind me. I glanced back only to see Taeyeon walk in.

 

“Yo.”

 

He scanned the room briefly wearing an indifferent expression. “They’ve done it again didn’t they?” He asked like it’s the most normal thing to ask in the world. He eyed the two sulking figures at the corner.

 

“Yep.” I said grumpily. He sat on the desk and eyed the music sheets I’ve scribbled on.

 

“Hmmm. This one’s not bad.” He said, showing me one of the papers.

 

“I don’t need a 'not bad'. I need a good one.” I swiftly grabbed the paper in his hand and crumpled it.

 

“You know Yul, you don’t need to do this. We got loads of stock of songs that you wrote before to let us on until the next two albums.”

 

“You know I NEED to do this.” I said in exasperation. He just looked at me; his calm demeanor never defeats him.

 

“Do you really need to leave Yul?” He asked all of the sudden. There was silence. I know the other two are listening to us right now.

 

“Yes.” I sighed.

 

“Think about it more Yul. I know how much you love performing. We’ve gone so far, are you really going to desert us now?”

 

“Huh! Taeng, me leaving won’t affect you that much. You have Tiffany for God’s sake! The people love her. And, you’re a great singer too, even better than me. You can easily replace me. You can hire composers if you need a song. The band will do just fine even without me.” I paced in front of Taeng while explaining. He’s looking at me calmly.

 

“You don’t honestly believe that, Yul.” He said a matter-of-factly.

 

“Believe me, Taeng. I do.” I said and looked at him seriously.

 

“No you don’t. Cause if you do, you’ll not act like the way do right now. You won’t kill yourself trying to come up with a song to leave us with.”

 

Dang. This guy. Why does he always have the last word! I’m the leader of the band for god’s sake.

 

We stood there for a while. Letting the air full with disapproval to fill our senses.

 

I heard a knock coming from the door.  I looked at it and saw Tiffany’s head popped at the side of the door. “Yuwree! The manager said that the CEO wants to talk to…. you.” She said cheerfully at first but her enthusiasm faded when she saw us. “What’s happening here? Is Taengoo scolding you again Yuwree?” Tiffany asked and hooked her arm on mine. 

 

“No.” I said avoiding her gaze.

 

“Yah! Why do you keep fighting with Yuwree nowadays?” Tiffany said to Taeyeon in a reprimanding manner. Tiffany still has no idea about me leaving. I can’t bear to tell her. She’s going to cry.

 

Taeyeon just eyed her silently and gave out a defeated sigh. He looked at me tiredly. “Go now, the manager needs you.”

 

I nodded and silently walked to Sunny’s office. I could hear Tiffany’s whines even from here. That girl is always so loud.

 

I knocked at the door and opened it. “I heard you want to talk to me.”

 

“Yes I do. Take your seat.” I did. She rested her chin on the back of her hands while giving me a  serious look.

 

I took a deep breath. I know what this will be about.

 

“I want us to talk about the contract.”

 

“Ok.”

 

“You’ve been a very big asset for our company Yul. I know that you’re aware of that. Letting you go is very hard for us. It’ll put our company in a very compromising situation.” She started. She took her briefcase and brought out a thick stack of papers. “Since you are so determined to leave, I present you a deal that will give you a chance to do what you want and will lessen the blow your absence will cause to both you and our company.”

 

I picked up the paper like they’re some bunch of dirty clothing. I was never a patient person. I won’t read something like this in one sitting. “Just tell me what the deal is about.”

 

“It’s simple Yul. Write a song for us. The best song you ever write. A song that will surely bring loads of profit to our company. Give us that and promise that you’ll never write another song in your life. Do that and I can assure you your freedom. No legal suits will be filled. You'll keep your money.  We’ll give you a fair share of the profit and the royalties will be yours too.”

 

Wow. That’s a good deal.

 

“I agree.” I said in an instant. She looked at me with a not amused expression.

 

“Are you sure? I would like to repeat that you can never ever write a song again after that.”

 

Hell, I don’t care. I’ve lost my ability to write anyway.

 

I was about to answer Yes but something came to my mind.

 

“Please don’t mind me asking. The deal sounds great. Actually, it sounds so great that it seems ridiculous. What’s with your condition? I mean, I understand about the song part but what about never ever writing another song?” I inquired.

 

“Letting you go is too much for us.  But letting other companies have a piece of your genius works is a much bigger blow to consider. We can’t afford that. That’s why we’re preventing it now.”

 

“I see.” These people are really cunning.

 

“Now do we have a deal?” She asked and put a pen on top of the paper.

 

I eyed it. That paper and pen will now dictate what my life would be.

 

I held the pen and hesitantly started to sign the papers. She was smiling smugly the whole time.

 

When I finished signing them, I gave it to her. “Good decision Kwon Yul. Now you have 3 weeks to send us the song and after that you can do whatever you like.” She said in a businesslike manner. “I have someone to meet now. So if you’ll excuse me, I will go now.” She said and picked up her briefcase. Just before she leaves the door an important question suddenly comes to my mind.

 

“Wait Sunny!”

 

She glanced back at me.

 

“What happens when I don’t give it to you on time?”

 

“Simple. Your contract will extend and you’ll spend another 6 years with us. This time, you won’t be able to say no to whatever our company’s plan for you is.” She said as a matter-of-factly.

 

I stared at her in disbelief. I watched as she bowed slightly, gave a small smile and gently closed the door behind her.

 

I think she knew that I was having problems with writing.

 

.

 

It’s been months since I lost my ability to compose. How the hell will I write one in three weeks?








 

“Need more drinks here, Paul.” I said to Paul, my preferred waiter. He’s trustworthy so I always ask for him whenever we come to this club.

 

We’re at GG Club, the most exclusive club in South Korea. It was known to be the most favorite spot of A-list Korean superstars and socialites. Here there’s no danger of exposing yourself from outside. You can also trust the stars that come here. They know the consequence of speaking out about what happens inside here. You can assure that no one will know whatever it is your business or motive for going here. What happens here ends here.

 

Just like this one.

 

I rested my hand on the girl beside me as I lustfully looked at the valley between her gifted bosom.

 

She rested her hands on my stomach and began caressing them. “You have a really nice body Yul-ssi.”

 

“I know. I know.” Well, I do. Really. That’s perks of spending too much time at the gym to release your stress. “You have a nice body too.” I said in a flirting manner as I traced my finger on her arms. I played with her and blond her with my other.

 

I spent a lot of time here now. Especially when I realized that I’ve lost my gift for composing. I was known to be a musical prodigy ever since I was discovered by SMEnt. I used to come up with a song in an instant; complete with melody and captivating lyrics. That’s why it is very frustrating for me to be unable to write anymore. I love composing the way I love music. And music is my life.

 

Paul came in with three glasses of tequila and a glass of Bloody Mary. The tequila is for me of course.

 

We spent the whole time flirting, until the alcohol started to get on my head and flirting turned to one hot make out session.

 

Out of breath we stopped kissing, I pulled away trying to look at her already blurry facial features. “What’s your name?”

 

She smiled at me. “I’m Paris. Paris Hilton.” (Yes they are speaking in English the whole time.)

 

“You got a nice name, Paris. You know what, I think I saw you somewhere before. I just can’t remember where.”

 

She giggled and released me from her arms. “Of course you don’t know me, silly.” She said and playfully poked my nose. “Excuse me for a moment. I have to go to the bathroom.” She said and I watched as she made her way out.

 

Staring nowhere, I started drinking more. I think I have drunk eight shots of tequila already. I’m not really a hard drinker and I’m aware that I’m already intoxicated.

 

I leaned back at the chair and rested my head, trying to keep myself from falling asleep.

 

Then I saw the blond girl going inside.

 

She sat beside me with a paper in hand. She gave it to me. I raised an eyebrow at her then a playful smirk form in my face as I crumpled the paper and threw it on the floor. With a swift motion I grabbed the back of her head and pulled her in to continue our session.

 

“Uuurghhhff.” She muffled against my lips. She’s struggling against me. Damn this girl. It’s not time to play hard to get now.

 

I pinned her down to the sofa and straddled at her body. 

 

She continued struggling. I was to kiss her neck when I suddenly got loose of her hand and even before I realized what happened, I felt a sudden gush of pain coming from my cheek.

 

I looked at her with an angry expression.

 

Oh no, you didn’t.

 

No one ever dared to slap Kwon Yuri. 


 

 


 

Meet the Cliché Members

 

/Choi Sooyoung / Kim Taeyeon / Hwang Tiffany / Kim Hyoyeon / Kwon Yuri/

19/20/18/19/20

/The Mysterious/The Charmer/The Rebellious/The Cheerful/The Snob Musical Genius/

Drums/Lead Guitar/Bass Guitar and Second Vocals/Rhythm Guitar/Lead Vocals