Chapter 4

Secretly in Love With You

 

It’s been a year now. Today was the first day of their second year in high school and Jessica decided that she and Sooyoung could go out for ice cream. They were sitting across from each other in their favorite ice cream shop.


“So, what’s up Sica?” Sooyoung asked, tilting her head. “Why the sudden invitation.”


“I just thought that we could hang out.” Jessica said. “We barely saw each other over the summer.”


Sooyoung shrugged. “That’s true. If I wasn’t so busy with helping my parents, we would’ve been able to hang out more.”


“That’s okay.” Jessica said with a smile. “So, how you been?”


“I’ve been good.” Sooyoung said. “How about you?”


“I’ve been great.” Jessica smiled.


“You and Tiff?” Sooyoung tilted her head.


“We’re fine.” Jessica’s smile died a bit.


“That’s a lie.” Sooyoung said. “What’s going on?”


“Things are just...hard.” Jessica frowned, avoiding eye contact with the younger girl.


“You’re hiding something from me.” Sooyoung said, impatiently.


“Not here, Soo.” Jessica said, looking at the ground.


Sooyoung let out a sigh. “Let’s go to my house after this.”


Jessica nodded nervously. Jessica and Sooyoung then sat in silence for the rest of the time. When the friends got to Sooyoung’s house, they immediately went up to Sooyoung’s room. Sooyoung closed the door once she got in.


“Okay, tell me.” Sooyoung said, sitting on the swivel chair at her desk while Jessica sat on the bed. “What’s going on?”


Jessica sat quietly, staring at her intertwined hands. She couldn’t bring herself to look at her friend.


“Well?” Sooyoung tilted her head, trying to hide her irritation. “Are you going to tell me?”


Jessica let out a sigh. She slowly slid up the sleeves of her uniform, revealing her wrists which were bandaged up.


“Sica, what did you do?!” Sooyoung rushed to the older girl and grabbed her wrists.


Jessica sat in silence as she unwrapped her bandages. Sooyoung’s eyes widened as she saw Jessica’s wrists littered with scars and a couple of fresh cuts.


“What the heck, Sica?!” Sooyoung asked, angrily. “What is this? How long have you been doing this?”


“Since I found out Tiff was cheating on me.” Jessica mumbled.


“Sica! What the heck?!” Sooyoung shouted, dropping Jessica’s wrists. “You think this is the solution to your problems?!”


“Soo, what are you so mad about?” Jessica asked.


“What do you mean ‘why am I so mad’?” Sooyoung asked. “You’re throwing your life away for someone who doesn’t even care!”


“Why does it matter to you?!” Jessica shouted, tears rolling down her face. “You aren’t affected in any way by this!”


“Of course I’m affected!” Sooyoung retorted. “You’re my best friend Sica!”


Tears began to flow more rapidly down Jessica’s face, shocking Sooyoung. Sooyoung let out a sigh and sat next to the older girl, pulling her closer. Jessica gripped onto the sleeve of Sooyoung’s shirt as she released all her pain.


“I’m sorry, Sica.” Sooyoung apologized. “I’m just worried for your well being.”


For the rest of the night, Sooyoung and Jessica sat in silence as Jessica slowly fell asleep in Sooyoung’s arms.


“I just want to protect you.” Sooyoung whispered as she tucked the brunette in. “Because I love you.” She gently placed a kiss on Jessica’s forehead.

 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey readers and friends~
So, it feels like it's been a while since I updated.
I apologize for that. My life has been pretty crazy lately so I haven't been able to sit down and write.
Well, this update is also a little short given my busy schedule as well.
So, hope you still enjoyed it and look forward to the next update.
Don't forget to leave a comment.
Until next time, your author,
Kirakai