CHAPTER 7

Moments of Love

 

               Even with her casual clothes only, Chorong did not think twice anymore and went to school to look for Woohyun. She searches for him everywhere not minding the stares of everyone. Until she reaches the library and what supposed to be a quiet place became quite chaotic when she came. Every single person inside started whispering. It is obviously about her as she can somehow hear her name being uttered here and there. But she just ignored them and just focused on finding Woohyun. She goes around in every row looking for him until her head and stomach started to spin making her nauseated so she decided to leave. She walks out of the room and in the hallway again she received the same treatment from the students.

                At first it was bearable, she continues to walk ignoring everyone, but as time passes by she doesn’t understand why that she found herself getting lost on her way out. Chorong is certain that she knows her way but for some reason her head isn’t functioning well at that moment. Maybe, it’s because of a hangover.  But it made even worst for her when the students started to encircle while mocking her.

“Look, she’s a total wreck.”

“The rumors are true, I told you.”

“She might be drunk until now.”

“She’s crazy”

                The mocking went on and Chorong felt like sinking in a middle of a very deep ocean. As the crowd grows her breathing became faster and faster suffocating her. It only stopped when a familiar voice echoed in the hallway. A voice that penetrates within her giving reassurance of safety. Then again, Woohyun found her.

                “Everyone! Stop this!”

                She looked around and there finally he saw his face. He quickly walks towards her with the same worried expressions that he have when looking for her. “I heard you came here. I’ve been looking for you.” He whispered.

                “Yah, I came here because of you.”

                “Mianhaeyo. Gwenchanayo?”

                “I don’t feel good. I want to go home.”

                “We’ll go home now. I just have to do one more thing.”

                 He faces everyone while putting Chorong behind him. “You think each of you are perfect?! Think twice!” He shouted to get all their attention. “We all have flaws and make mistakes. We stumble and fall but what’s important is to stand again. There is no one here who is perfect but I believe each of you has a loving heart. So please don’t waste your life in things like this. Live on what God wants you to be.”

Everyone is silence and his words once again captured their hearts. Their heads lowered then a voice from the crowd apologizes.

“I’m sorry.”

“Chorong, sorry.”

                Then it is like a virus that is spread until everyone is apologizing to her. But the next thing he did surprises everyone and even Chorong did not expect it. Woohyun suddenly took her hand and raises it. Then there’s an immediate silence at what they just witnessed. 

                “This girl…” He paused to glance at the confuse Chorong. “She’s too precious for me so…please, I beg you to take care of her.”

                Whispers were once again heard. Speculating their real relationship, however the two become deaf and were just staring at each other. Both thinking of what to say, just in time the bell rings and the students were instantly gone.

                “Finally…” Woohyun said as he faces her but then she quickly jerked her hand away and walks off. He quickly followed her until they reach outside and he pulls her to stop.  

                “Precious? And you begged them to take care of me? What is this?”

                “I…learned about your…heart diseases. You told me about it last night.”

                His statement silent Chorong reminding her of her real purpose of going there.  “I was drunk, remember? I did not know what I was saying.”

                But Woohyun is certain of what he found out and no matter what he is going to be firm. “Is it the reason why you’re here? And if no why did you look for me?”

                She looks away as she doesn’t know what reason to give. “Nothing”

                “First, you should be resting and besides isn’t running bad to your health.? Chorong-ssi…”

                “Fine! I have heart disease. But that does not mean you can beg others to treat me like I’m special. Never did I think of using my condition.” She said straight to his eyes. Woohyun was left speechless thinking that he just said those things because he cared for her. He never thought she would have reacted this way.    

 


 

                The next day in school, both are keeping distant to each other. The students that are thinking that they have relationship also became confuse of what’s the real score between them.

                  Meanwhile, one of the things that Chorong regret of saying during her drunken state was about Eunji. She mocked and humiliated her in crowd that’s why Eunji is now avoiding not only her but also everyone even Hoya. After reflecting of what she had done Chorong searches for her friend and found her alone at an empty room.

                “Hello, Eunji.”

                Eunji stayed in her place staring outside like she did not hear anything. Chorong walks towards her and bowed to apologize sincerely.

                “Eunji-ah…” She said sweetly but Eunji just remained in her spot. So Chorong knows she has to do more and mostly be sincere. She takes a deep breath, closes her eyes and finally laying down her pride.  “ I’m really sorry. I wasn’t thinking right. I was wrong. I apologize.” 

 

                She said it quickly but it all came from her heart, she just hopes that Eunji also felt that. After hearing her confession Eunji stands up with blunt face and walks towards Chorong. For second Chorong thought she’s going to hit her until the pure and kind hearted Eunji extended her hand for reconciliation. Chorong is so happy and instead quickly gives her a hug. 

                “Yah! I did not say anything yet!”

                “What?” She look into her.

                Eunji smirks “Friends again?”

                “No!”  

                “What?!”

                “You are my best friend now”

                They smile to each other and felt happy for their speedy reconciliation.


 

                Every month Woohyun goes to the local orphanage of their village. He visits them together with Hoya and buys them food that he gets from his own savings. They already have the bond of siblings and each has a special place on Woohyun’s heart. There are a total of 16 children, ranging from the ages 4-12 and every one of them is excited to see him. Today he bought them ice cream and books. As soon as they saw their shadow at the hallway they all come running towards them. Woohyun and Hoya give each the children a hug and their sign of fist punch then he handed the ice cream to each of them.

                While watching the kids happily, Hoya elbowed Woohyun. “Tell me honestly, why you seem different lately.”

                Woohyun quickly got what he’s pointing at but he just wanted to be silent about it.

                “Aish! Let’s go!” While the children are busy with their foods and books, Hoya drags Woohyun outside for a talk.

                “Now talk!”

                He takes a deep breath before spilling everything to his best friend. It isn’t about Chorong’s condition but she’s part of it.

                “I don’t know! I think…I think… I may really have feelings for Chorong.”

                Hoya doesn’t seem surprise at all.  “You like her? Well, finally you realize it!”

                “You know? Am I that obvious?”

                “No. I just know you too well.”

                Woohyun sigh as a relief.

                “So what is your plan now?”

                “Nothing. I’m not even expecting this feeling.” 

                “You’re scared. This is new to you so you’re too afraid to know more about it.”

                “I also made up my mind to not get marry.”

                “That is your decision but how about God’s plan for you?... Besides who said she’s going to marry you?!” He giggles as he hit his friend’s arm.

                Woohyun is just silent contemplating about his words. Hoya may be look easy going but he is a man that Woohyun trust next to his grandfather. He knows the time when to speak and he is also wise with his words.

                It’s already late afternoon when they said their farewell to the children. They parted ways when Hoya reaches the corner of their street, but before walking away Hoya cheered him up again to confess his feelings for Chorong.

                “Confess before anything happened!”

                Though he doesn’t have an idea about Chorong’s CHD he was able to point out the right push for Woohyun. He was like awaken again and realizes that he should not waste any second.

 


 

 

                Since Eunji would have to go somewhere, Chorong walks alone back home until fate interfere and she meets Woohyun half way. Chorong’s heart skips a beat when she saw him. Yes, she misses him. A lot. However, there is just a complete awkwardness when they finally face each other again.

                “Hi.”

                “It’s already late. Where have you been?”

                “I went to an orphanage. You…could come with me next time if you want.”

                “I’ll try.”

                And…about last time…I’m sorry.”

                "I’m fine. I actually understand why you did that. Forgive me with my actions too.”

                “So we’re cool now!” He said with a forced smile then quickly regretting it. “Okay that is awkward Woohyun…” 

                There is deafening silence as both are sensing each other. Woohyun has cold sweat just by thinking of the word ‘confess’. He doesn’t know how to approach her so before he even say a word Chorong already ask him.

                “ Where are you planning to take on college?”

                “ Ah…college?  Well, maybe I’ll go on a bible school to be a pastor. That’s what I always plan. Scratching the back of his head. “How about you?”

                She gave him a look like reminding him about her disease so he just let it pass and ask another question.

                “Do you have a dream?

                “Dream? Nothing.” She said it directly, besides why does she have to when she’s already fated to die? But Woohyun’s optimism can be contagious most of the time. 

                “I read that a person who has no dream is a coward…because they’re afraid it’ll remain a dream.”           

You’re right, she thought to herself but she still continues to think as Woohyun patiently waited for an answer.

                “Well, I want to learn how to ride a bike.”

                Woohyun nod agreeably and just when he thought that’s all of it, Chorong started listing her dreams which made him thrilled and happy.

                “Then… I want to run up on the hill.” Her eyes that are like covered with dark clouds before are starting to lighten up and her voice is also thrilled as she continues to talk about her dreams. “Next to have someone perform for me. Fourth is to go in the outer space and… lastly, to have a family.”

                “Woah! That’s quite a lot but really interesting!”

                She giggles making him blush. Their conversation goes on until they did not realize that they already got home. Both felt that the time went by so fast and they still want more. More time to walk, talk and be with each other.