CHAPTER 2

Moments of Love

 

Sangok-ri

 

                Early next morning while she is still begging and whining to her Dad to forgive her, the maid already packs all her things for her stay in Sangok-ri. Despite of her sincere pleading Mr. Park has already made up his mind that he has to be firm this time.   

                 Her father  takes a sip of his hot coffee then faced his daughter. “Chorong, let’s not make this difficult for us. Don’t worry because I’m going to send you enough allowance and I will also visit you.”

                “How long am I going to stay there? And without credit cards? Appa, I will not survive that place!”

                “You will just stay there for 3 months.”

                “What if I died there? You will not be by my side?”

                “You will not die unless you try to kill yourself like what you’re trying to do these past months.”

                That made Chorong quiet and just tighten her fist. It’s because her father is right. Being a vulnerable sick person since young the only thing she can see to escape from it is to disappear.  She’s tired, hurt, and weak so she just wanted to give up.

************

                Chorong take the first flight and it only took her 1 hour to get to Sangok-ri unto the house. The place is a village where there’s a small community lives. Most of the people that she met are very warm and welcoming. However, the houses are small and very traditional which she is not used to. She is going to stay with Mr. Nam, the respected village pastor. He has two houses one is for him and his wife while the other is for his grandson, Woohyun. Since Chorong will stay with them, Woohyun will be living with his grandparents.

                Mr. Nam’s family greeted her warmly when she got to their house so she bowed to them respectfully. They get inside the house that she’s going to stay in and Mrs. Jung gave her a quick tour around it. Chorong stopped for a moment and look around the place still in shock that she’s going to live in a house like this.  Yes, it is clean and nice but it’s too small, old fashioned and without any technology around. But what gives her chills the most is the Bible on the desk. A book which she hasn’t and will not dare to read or even touched in her entire life.

                “By the way, I prepared a lunch for us. Let us eat.” Mrs. Jung gives her a warm smile that looks the same with Woohyun. However, Chorong just refused her offer.  

                “Its okay, I’m not hungry.

                “Don’t be shy your father told us about your condition so we already prepared foods that are healthy for you.”

                “He told you?” It was obviously upsetting for her as she doesn’t want anyone to know about her situation. Who wouldn’t be? Even her friends have no idea about it, but now, these people who are complete strangers to her already know all of it.

                “It’s only between me, my husband and your Dad. We will not tell anyone.” She said right away after reading the expression of Chorong.  

                “Please… I want some time alone.”

                Mrs. Jung did not offer anymore and just left the house while Chorong stayed there still cannot believe of what her father did.

 


 

                Mrs. Jung went back to her family and they are very curious on how her conversation went with their visitor.

                “Where is she? Is she okay?” Mr. Nam asked curiously followed by Woohyun who is peeking behind him. “Did she like the place? What did you talk about?”

                Mrs. Jung chuckles as she sees his boys getting interested to their visitor. “One question at a time. She’s fine but she wanted to take a rest so let’s just let her be familiar with our place.”

                After hearing it Mr. Nam turns to Woohyun to give him an assignment. “Woohyun-ah, you have to help her, okay? Go to school with her tomorrow.”

                “Deh.” He answered willingly without any complaints.

                “I think it will also be better if we will include her with our prayers.” Mrs. Jung suggested which the two guys commended.

 


 

                The next day is the first day of Chorong in her new school and just like what Woohyun promised to his grandfather he will assist and be by her side. So early in the morning he waited for her outside their house to go to school with her. When she finally came out he greeted her cheerfully with his trade mark grin that can warm the heart of anyone. Chorong who once got attracted to it caught her attention again but she just ignored it this time.

                “Good morning! I’m Nam Woohyun” He said brightly as he introduced himself.  

                Chorong did not even take a look back and just flips her hair and searches for something. “Where is the car?”

                “C-car?  Nothing.  Just this.” He moved his bike together with another pink one which she guest is for her.

                “What? You want me to ride a bike? Are you insane?”

                “No. If you don’t know how to then I’ll just give you a ride.”

                “No need I’ll just walk.”  She left him but then Woohyun put down the bikes to follow and walk beside her.

                “Let’s just walk then.”  Another bright smile flashes in his face which Chorong cannot help to look at. That is unusual for her to get attracted easily like that so she slapped herself in her mind and composed herself. However, Woohyun is like the friendliest lad in their village and also a person that can make you feel comfortable. 

                Woohyun then takes the first step to make things a bit easier for them. “So what can you say about my house? Did you like it?”  

                But despite of his friendly approach he quickly got turned down coldly. Chorong may not be the meanest person you’ll ever meet but she has this attitude of being a loner and picky most of the times.                   

                “Can you please be quiet? Don’t ever talk if you want to go with me.”

                Chorong walk fast leaving him behind so he has to run to walk with her again. It is his first time someone turned him down and, though he doesn’t know where he got wrong he still went after her. They reach the school in time and since they are classmates Woohyun offered her a help but she refuses and excused herself to go to the rest room. He left and goes first to their classroom. However, minutes later their class already started until it finishes and even a shadow of hers did not show up. Woohyun is very worried and he looks for her around the campus but she is nowhere to be found. He goes home still anxious on how to explain everything to them but then he saw her eating and talking with Mrs. Jung.

                “Where have you been?”

                She quickly gave her a look and then drags him outside. “Keep your mouth shut.” She commanded.

                “Where have you been?”

                “Just went out to look around. I don’t like school, so don’t ask me why.”

                “But…”

                She did not listen and went back to her place then continues talking with Mrs. Jung like nothing happened. And so for the past three days Chorong keep on doing the same routine. She will go to school but also vanish and then goes back home. The principal found out about it and so she called Woohyun in her office. Whenever there is a problem to a student it is Woohyun that they are going to send first because the students listen to him and he also knows how to talk to them.

                “The new student from Cheongdamdong, Park Chorong, hasn’t been seen in your class since she arrives. She stays with you so do you know about this?”

                “Yes, I tried talking to her but she doesn’t listen. I’m sorry for not telling you.”

                “You don’t have to apologize. But…can you please go and talk to her? We found out that she stays on the hillside.”

                Woohyun agreed and so he went there after. The hill is undoubtedly is a good place to be alone and think things. Especially now that the weather is good and the wind is also cool. From there you can also see the whole village from the top and it’s so breathtaking.

                He slowly approaches Chorong who is sitting there with a very far gaze. He clears his throat to get her attention so she looks back and saw him.

                “Are you a stalker?” She asked with a glare.

                “This place is really good.”

                “So? What are you doing here anyway?”

                “Cutting classes because of you.”

                “You came here with your own feet so don’t put the blame on me.”

                Woohyun did not argue anymore and just asked her a simple question, but it seems to be a complex one for her. “How are you?” Woohyun asked looking directly to her. She was taken aback and cannot answer right away. It is because it’s been a while since someone ask her that question. A matter that she also wants to avoid.

                “I’m…okay.” Her tone was changed that she just barely whispered her answer.

                “That was not even an answer. There are only two answers in that question. I feel good or I feel bad.” He said in a clever and gentle way but instead he did not know that it offended her.  

                 Annoyed, she stands up and retorted. “That is my answer. If you don’t like it then leave.”

                He moved into his feet as well and raised his hands.  “Okay. I get it. Don’t be mad. Breathe.”

                Woohyun once again got ignored, but unknowingly Chorong followed his word and took a deep breath to relieve her anger. While there is a moment of silence between the two, Chorong look at him scrutinize thinking why he keeps on tailing on her. He’s also good in speaking and has this magnetic smile whenever he appears. She also wonders why he is so kind to her despite of her attitude towards him. After a minute of deduction she finally came to a conclusion.

                “Yah! Do you like me? Because if you do so then just stop! You’re not interesting at all!”

                “W-what? I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He asked clueless.

                “Wait. Have you ever…been in a relationship?”

                “Like having a girlfriend? No.”

                Chorong laughs while Woohyun just watches her with a smile thinking that finally he hears this beautiful giggle even though he has no idea what’s funny of what he said. “Finally, you laugh.”

                “You’re a poor boy.” She said not paying attention of what he just uttered. She wiped her tears after laughing hard. Chorong is about to go then when he once called her name again.

                “Chorrong-ssi, what is holding you back to go to school?”

                “Holding me back?” She thinks of it deeply and her thoughts instantly tells her that she’s afraid of being different.  “I don’t need to answer it.”

                “You don’t need or you don’t want to? I know our village as well as the school might not be as good as your city but I tell you if you will just open your heart you will also see the beauty of it. Who knows this is where you will find the right answer to my first question.”

**************

                That night after talking to her, Woohyun can still remember the first time when he heard her laugh. It keeps on playing through his mind as he is lie down in the room together with his grandparents. He felt like it’s an achievement for him so he also wanted to share it to his grandfather. However, it’s already late night and he is sound asleep.

                “Harabeoji, still awake? You need to know something?” He whispered to his ear while shaking him lightly. He repeated it three times until Mr. Nam is only half asleep and finally answered him.

                “Why? What?”

                “Chorong finally laugh.” He said with excitement and as Mr. Nam turned around he saw his grandson’s beaming smile across his face.  

                “You woke me up just to say that? I thought it is something urgent or important.”

                “But you told laughing is good.”

                Defended, Mr. Nam just shook his head and went back to sleep.

 


 

    Meanwhile ever since her conversation with Woohyun, Chorong cannot get out of her head the words that he said. It’s like a broken recorded mp3 in her brain that keeps on playing. She can’t concentrate on anything that she does and now even in sleeping.

                She closes her eyes but his image and words keeps on appearing on his head. Annoyed, Chorong sits up shaking her head to brush it off.

Chorong: Aish! Yah, Chorong-ah! Stop this! Why do I keep on thinking about what he said? This is so frustrating!  Should I follow him???

                She lied down again with the same thoughts running through her mind. Chorong cannot believe this strange lad will have this effect on her.

 

THANK YOU FOR READING! 

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT... <3 

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!! 

credit:bibleverse|tumblr