Departure

The Five Promises

 

 

Two hours later the four friends pulled up outside the front of Jaejoong’s high rise apartment building. Jaejoong, still asleep in the back seat, was gently awakened with a shake from Yunho.

“Jae, we’re back.” sniffled Yunho as the depression he had been feeling the whole ride back began to take its toll on his composure “Wake up.”

Jaejoong stirred softly and nuzzled his pillow gently for a few seconds before the sound of Yunho’s pleading registered in his mind. Mumbling softly under his breath and opening his eyes, Jaejoong immediately felt a wave of sadness wash over him as he focused out the window and saw his ever familiar home. “Not yet.” thought Jaejoong as he closed his eyes tightly and secretly wished that he was just dreaming.

“Jae?” whispered Yunho painfully “It’s time.”

Jaejoong turned to look at the distraught face of his dearest and closest friend. His eyes, puffy and reddened, his cheeks stained with tears, Yunho looked as if the whole world had just come crashing down on him all at once. He knew from the moment he agreed to go to New York that this was going to be an ordeal for both of them, however Jaejoong never truly understood how much this would hurt Yunho until that very moment. Without a word uttered, Junsu and Yoochun quietly clamored out of the car and closed their doors behind them.

“Let’s at least give them a few moments to say goodbye.” said Yoochun as he looked with pleading eyes at Junsu.

“Very well.” nodded Junsu, knowing full well that this would be the last time they see one another for quite some time.

“Let’s get his bags.” said Junsu as he hit the switch on his key ring and popped the trunk.

Yunho, on the verge of tears for the hundredth time today, looked at Jaejoong with his heart and mind in utter chaos. He thought he could say goodbye, he thought he could let him go, but as the moment had finally arrived, Yunho’s heart was instantly torn to shreds and his confidence dissolved. Jaejoong smiled softly at Yunho, knowing full well that he felt tormented. He had never seen this side of Yunho but his eyes told him the truth. Jaejoong has seen that look in his own eyes many times. He was scared. Yunho was never this emotional but the fear, panic, and heart wrenching sorrow that now loomed in his every expression, was enough to make Jaejoong fear the worst.

“I’ll only be gone a few weeks.” whispered Jaejoong softly as he reached out and grabbed Yunho’s hand gently “Please don’t cry.”

“I’m not crying.” grumbled Yunho in defiance as his tears streamed endlessly down his face one more.

“Yes you are.” whispered Jaejoong lovingly as he reached up, cupped Yunho’s face, and gently brushed away a tear with his thumb “I will be back real soon, you’ll see.”

“I don’t want you to go.” cried Yunho as his loneliness finally conquered his determination to see Jaejoong safe.

“I can protect him better if he’s beside me.” Yunho thought as his resolve completely disappeared.

“You said it yourself, I have to go.” replied Jaejoong as he reached up his other hand and gently cupped the other side of Yunho’s face.

“I know you’re worried about me being all alone in New York, but I swear to you, I’ll be ok.” reassured Jaejoong as he looked deeply in those beautiful brown eyes he had longed to see each and every day.

“It’s not that.” sighed Yunho as he pulled his face away from Jaejoong’s grip and stared blankly out the back windshield “It’s just…”

“It’s just what?” asked Jaejoong softly “Tell me Yunnie.”

“I will miss you.” whined Yunho softly “Please don’t leave me.”

“I’m not leaving you.” sighed Jaejoong softly as the sound of Yunho’s plea pierced his already wavering heart “I will come back.”

“Please don’t go.” cried Yunho once more before he buried his face against Jaejoong’s shoulder and sobbed uncontrollably.

As the minutes seemed to stretch out like years, Jaejoong couldn’t help but wonder why his strong and confident best friend had suddenly turned into an emotional mess. “Why is he like this? It’s just a business trip.” thought Jaejoong as he wrapped his arms around his balling friend and rubbed him gently on the shoulder “Why is he acting like the world is coming to an end?” Did Yunho somehow think that Jaejoong was leaving forever? Did he think that he was never coming back? Was he acting like this because he didn’t want to be lonely?  

“I was like this once.”  randomly thought Jaejoong as he gently hugged Yunho a little tighter “The day my father died. I felt so alone, abandoned.”

“Is that it?” questioned Jaejoong in his mind as he leaned his head against Yunho’s temple and closed his eyes “Is he reliving it all over again?”

From the many stories Junsu had told Jaejoong, he knew that Yunho suffered a great love tragedy when he was in his teens, and that even till this day, he still harbored those inescapable feelings of loss and abandonment. He had learned to hide those feelings, to suppress them over time, but when Yunho truly cared about someone enough, all of that pain and anguish would take over instantly at the slightest thought that he would somehow lose them. Jaejoong knew that Min Hee’s death had scarred him for life. He knew that Yunho rarely got attached to anyone but if and when he did, Yunho never held his feelings back –ever.

 “Does that mean…” thought Jaejoong as Yunho’s sobs seem to hover in the air all around them “Does he really care about me that much?”

As Yunho belted out another heartbreaking sob, the sound, so tormented and so devastated, was simply too much for Jaejoong to bear. Finally realizing that he meant much more to Yunho than he ever thought possible, the overwhelming pain in his heart began to manifest itself and trickle gently down his own cheeks.  Jaejoong gently lifted his head and kissed Yunho on the temple, and cried softly “No matter where I go, I will always be with you. I will never truly leave you Yunho.”

Jaejoong’s sudden physical affection and his endearing confession, quickly snapped Yunho out the pit of misery he had selfishly been wallowing in. The shock of Jaejoong’s actions echoed through Yunho’s heart like a thunderclap across a darkened sky.  Pulling away from Jaejoong, Yunho stared deeply into Jaejoong’s tear filled eyes and wondered if Jaejoong now understood how he felt, and if he felt the same.  “Does he have feelings for me?” questioned Yunho as he continued to stare into those beautiful doe-like eyes “I have to know.”

As Yunho opened his mouth to ask the question he had been longing to hear the answer to, a loud banging echoed through the car from the window and interrupted him. Looking out through the window to see Junsu impatiently tapping the face of his watch, Yunho knew that they had run out of time. Coming back to his senses, somewhat, he looked back at Jaejoong’s face and sighed deeply.

“Our time is up.” sniffled Yunho as he wiped his tears away hurriedly with the palms of his hands “It’s time for you to go.”

“But, don’t you want me to stay?” said Jaejoong with a tinge of sorrow and confusion in his voice.

“More than anything.” replied Yunho “But, I know I can’t keep you here. Junsu needs you now so I have to let you go.”

“Just swear to me that you will come back.” pleaded Yunho. “Please?”

“I swear it.” agreed Jaejoong.

With those final words, Yunho threw his arms around Jaejoong and hugged him tightly before he let go and gave a permissive nod for him to leave. Jaejoong smiled reassuringly once more as he turned and opened the car door. Stepping out onto the curb, Jaejoong looked up at Junsu who was carrying a look of both worry and sadness.

“Please be safe.” sighed Junsu as he reached out for Jaejoong and hugged him gently.

“Call me when you land.” added Junsu.

“I will.” nodded Jaejoong.

“Ok.” smiled Junsu.

“Go upstairs and get ready. Yoochun will bring your bags up in a minute.” ordered Junsu affectionately.

“Alright.” replied Jaejoong.

As Junsu and Yoochun watched Jaejoong head for the gilded double glass door of his apartment building and walk in, Junsu glanced back at the car before glaring at Yoochun sternly.

“No matter what happens…” said Junsu in a firm and commanding voice “Jae must get on that plane!”

 “Do you understand what I’m saying Yoochun?” growled Junsu.

“He will. I promise.” replied Yoochun as he grabbed the handle of Jaejoong’s suitcase and headed towards the doors.

Junsu grimaced slightly and watched carefully as Yoochun walked up the main steps and through the front doors. The moment he disappeared from sight, Junsu hurriedly climbed back into the car and started the engine. Fastening his seat belt, he glanced back at Yunho through the rear view mirror to see him sobbing quietly, his head buried in his knees. Junsu frowned at the sight and sighed heavily. He put the car in gear and pulled out into the street just as the ominous clouds that foreshadowed their entire drive back suddenly released a torrential downpour. Shaking his head in disappointment, Junsu’s heart continued to ache as Yunho’s sobs echoed all around him. Guilt began to creep into Junsu’s mind as he silently drove down the busy streets of Seoul.

With all the stress that Junsu had been feeling over the entire situation, his strong president-like personality had instantly taken over, and because of it, he had been overly harsh with Yunho.  He knew Yunho was hurting but he couldn't be bothered with it. He had to fix the situation as quick as possible to save Yunho’s career but, even after thinking about it nonstop for almost two days, he had no idea what they were going to do. He was so frustrated and worried about the backlash this story would cause that he overlooked the one thing that was truly important: Yunho.  Glancing back at Yunho once more, Junsu’s eyes began to swell with tears as the heartbreaking sobs continued. His guilt quickly manifested itself on his face as a single tear ran down his cheek.

“It will be alright Yunnie.” choked out Junsu as his voice cracked “Please stop crying.”

“I can’t.” sobbed Yunho defiantly.

“Jae will be safe and we will fix this, I promise.” reassured Junsu as he quickly reached up and wiped his own tears away.

“No he won’t.” sniffled Yunho “I have a really bad feeling.”

“Again?” thought Junsu.

“It’s just stress. Once Jae gets to the states, he will be so preoccupied with work that way we can deal with this whole situation and he’ll be none the wiser.” declared Junsu as if to not only convince Yunho but to convince himself as well “So please stop crying.”

“It’s not that.” denied Yunho “Im afraid. For the first time in my life, I’m truly afraid.”

“Of what?” questioned Junsu.

“That he won’t come back.” sniffled Yunho as his face contorted in agony.

“That’s silly!” dismissed Junsu “Jae loves you to pieces, just as much as we do, Yunho. He would never abandon you and you know that!”

“Jae promised you that he would trust you but you don’t seem to trust him.” stated Junsu flatly “Why?”

“It’s not that I don’t trust him... It’s just…” stuttered Yunho.

“It’s just nothing.” interrupted Junsu “Have faith Yunnie and don’t give into doubt. You need to be strong right now, not just for yourself, but for everyone who cares about you as well.”

“I know.” admitted Yunho with a sniffle.

“It will all work out in the end.” said Junsu confidently “Don’t worry.”

“Here!” said Junsu in a stern voice as he tossed a box of tissues into the back seat “Clean yourself up. We’re almost at the company.”


 

As the steam from the shower slowly filled the room, Jaejoong leaned over the sink and stared deeply into the mirror’s reflection. Looking at the lines on his face, the lines that told the story of his life in one single glance, Jaejoong sighed harshly and shook his head. “I look so old.” whispered Jaejoong as he gently rubbed the stubble on his chin. Glancing up at the clock and noticing the time, Jaejoong hurriedly pulled off his clothes and stepped into the shower. Stepping into the water’s warm downpour, Jaejoong felt a rush of anxiety sweep over him. He had hoped that a warm shower would rescue him of the sinking feeling that had been plaguing him since the moment he stepped out of Junsu’s car, but that comfort didn’t come. Yunho’s face, distraught and heartbroken, flashed chaotically through his mind as the pain in his heart continued to grow. “This is a nightmare.” whispered Jaejoong as he dropped his head into the water “I’ve never seen Yunnie so broken.”

Standing there, trying to battle his guilt for putting Yunho in such a state, Jaejoong tried to control his emotions but simply couldn’t. He was heartbroken because Yunho was heartbroken and he was mad because there was nothing he could do to stop it. He knew he had to go to New York. There was no way around it but for some strange reason he felt as if there was something more to the story than what he was told. Junsu was just being too cold to everyone, Yunho was being too emotional, and Yoochun carried a worried scowl on his face that Jaejoong had never seen before.

“It’s like they’re hiding something.” sighed Jaejoong as he closed his eyes and thought about the last night at the beach house.

“Yunnie seemed so happy -they all did, and then something changed.” thought Jaejoong as the water gently trickled down his body “What are they not telling me?”

“They’re hiding something.” scoffed Jaejoong as he reached up and touched that familiar spot on his chest “It looks like Im not the only one keeping secrets.”

Yoochun paced around the living room and constantly watched the bedroom door, as he waited for Jaejoong to finish getting ready. Glancing down at his watch sporadically and watching as the time ticked by, Yoochun’s nervousness and anxiety began to take its toll. He had to keep his promise to Junsu. He had to make sure to do everything he could to get Jaejoong on that plane. The whole situation had Yoochun completely frazzled. He didn’t know what to think about the scandal and worried if what they were doing to Jaejoong was the right thing to do.

“Is keeping him in the dark really the best thing?” thought Yoochun as he continued to pace.

“Yunho…Su…” sighed Yoochun as his inner monolog continued “We’re lying to Jae. We’re shipping him off to America without telling him that Yunnie is in trouble. He is slowly falling apart and Jae has no idea. So many things could go wrong while we deal with this Sira thing and Yunho won’t have anyone to turn to. I know he won’t come to me, and he definitely won’t go to Junsu, so without Jae he will have no body. Why in God’s name is Yunho doing this to himself! Why is he sending him away? This makes no sense!”

“To protect Jae…?”  grumbled Yoochun quietly under his breath “Preposterous! He just doesn’t want Jae to see him as if he were a criminal or worse a moral-less jerk!”

“This is all to protect that damn image he wants Jae to have of him.” mumbled Yoochun angrily “I should tell him everything!”

“Tell who, what?” questioned Jaejoong as he walked out of his bedroom rubbing his wet hair with a small white towel “What’s wrong? Why do you look so frustrated?”

“Oh?” stammered Yoochun as Junsu’s last words and the oath he made echoed in his mind “I’m just irritated about something silly. It’s nothing.”

“You sure?” asked Jaejoong inquisitively, knowing full well that he wasn’t being honest.

“Yup, I’m sure.” confirmed Yoochun with a forced smile “You about ready to go?”

“You only have a little while before your flight.” added Yoochun.

“I need to eat something first.” sighed Jaejoong “You hungry?”

“Do we have time?” asked Yoochun as he raised his eyebrow.

“Yeah, I’ll make something real quick.” smiled Jaejoong.


 

“Hello sirs.” stammered Secretary Kim as Junsu and Yunho walked into the office “Everyone is waiting for you in the conference room.”

“Very good.” nodded Junsu coldly.

“Come on Yunho.” added Junsu in a very stern and professional tone.

Junsu and Yunho followed Secretary Kim down the hallway and entered the main conference room to find the entire public relations staff busy looking through paperwork, studying their computer screens, and talking on the phone. Secretary Kim announced the President’s arrival and a wave of silence befell the busy room. Yunho followed Junsu as he walked across the room and stopped near his chair at the head of the table. Sitting down, Yunho just looked up at Junsu and waited for him to speak.

“What’s our current situation? asked Junsu “What do we know?”

“She is currently nine months pregnant. Her official due date is in less than two weeks. According to the information you sent us late last night, the timing fits. We have yet been able to confirm if she was having a romantic relationship with any other man during that time frame and she, along with her doctor, have refused our attempts to schedule an amniocentesis for a pre-birth DNA test.” started Lawyer Yoon. “The press has been clamoring for formal statement in this matter and until we do so, Mr. Jung will continue to be seen as the offender.  The staff and I advise that Mr. Jung hold a press conference immediately to clarify his position and role in this situation.”

“But what do I say? I can’t very well admit that I slept with her! That will make me look even guiltier!” argued Yunho. “I will not admit that I slept with that witch!”

“That’s exactly what we advise you do Mr. Jung.” piped up Mr. Kusumoto “If you admit that you had a loving and physically intimate relationship with Ms. Park, that ended mutually because of your work commitments, and then deny the fact that you knew anything about the pregnancy until now, we can spin this in a better light.”

“Right.” agreed Mr. Yang “We can also add that now that you know of the child’s existence you want to take responsibility, both financially and parentally. That is, until the child is born. Then we can do the DNA test and prove once and for all if the kid is yours. So until then, you just need to play nice.”

“Play nice… with that ? Are you out of your mind?” yelled Yunho. “I don’t want to have anything to do with her!”

“Yunnie…” sighed Junsu as he shook his head “You can’t be like that. We have to resolve this, the best way we can.”

“Junsu!”  said Yunho completely dumbfounded as he slammed his hand down on the conference table “Do you seriously want me to do this?”

“We have no choice.” sighed Junsu “Cuddle up to her, be nice, and play the dutiful boyfriend and father until we can prove that this is just her attempt to tie you down.”

“Play the dutiful boyfriend?” asked Yunho in shock “You mean you actually want me to spend time with her and be seen in public with her? No way! I dumped her because she was trying to her way through my friends –even Yoochun! She’s completely manipulative and crazy. If the public sees me with her, that’s the same thing as committing social suicide. My fans would lose their minds -especially if that mentions marriage or something like that during an interview. I won’t do it!”

“Can’t you see what she’s trying to do to you!” fired back Junsu angrily as he glared at Yunho “This isn’t about your fans, your career, or even your money! She wants to claim you as her own! This is about ownership more than anything else. She wants to be the woman who landed Jung Yunho! Can’t you understand that? So let’s give her what the hell she wants for now, otherwise you’re life will be ruined permanently. Do you want that?”

“Think about your family Yunho!” growled Junsu loudly as he immediately lost his temper and completely forgot that they were not alone in the conference room.

“How do you think this is affecting them?” screamed Junsu “If we draw this out with denial upon denial we won’t be able to settle this. You will be branded a villain and anyone that associates with you will be lumped in with you. Do you want that for your family? Do you want that for me or Yoochun? What about Jae? You promised that you would protect him, no matter the cost! Do you want that kind of life for him? Do you want people to spit on him, call him names, and shun him at every turn -because of you?”

“Of course not!” retaliated Yunho “But, none of this matters anyway! Sira isn’t stupid! She’ll know exactly what we're up to the second you propose it.”

“Not necessarily.” calmly interjected Lawyer Yoon “She has made it perfectly clear, both through her press conference and discussions with us that she would be willing to drop the suit if Mr. Jung would be willing to take an active role in her and her child’s life. It’s her lawyer that’s the major concern.”

“Who is Ms. Park’s lawyer for the civil suit?”asked Junsu with a deep sigh.

“Lawyer Shim Changmin from…” answered Lawyer Yoon as he adjusted his glassed and glanced down at the paperwork in his hand “Yes. Lawyer Shim Changmin from the Herald Law firm.”

“!” grumbled Junsu “We’re going to have to tread carefully then. Changmin is a hard .”

“Yunnie, I’ve faced Shim Changmin in court over a contract dispute before.” advised Junsu “This guy really doesn’t play well with others. He’s a stickler for the law and, more importantly, he really hates you with an unwavering passion. He’s the lawyer I told you about that compared your music to sounding like a fifty-car-pileup on the interstate on national television. He plays dirty.”

“You will have to pull down the best damn acting performance of your life to fool him.” added Junsu.

Yunho, complete aghast at the situation, closed his eyes and dropped his head down on the conference table with a loud thud. “This is unbelievable.” mumbled Yunho.

“What do you want us to do?” asked Lawyer Yoon “Should we set up the press conference?”

“Yunho, ultimately, the decision is yours. What do you want us to do?” asked Junsu calmly.

“Fine.” whined Yunho “If that's the only way to bury it, then let’s do it.”

“Alright.” confirmed Lawyer Yoon “Mr. President? When would you like us to schedule it?”

“Jaejoong’s plane leaves in three hours so…” sighed Junsu as he looked down at his watch “four hours from now.”

“Very well sir.” nodded Lawyer Yoon “We’ll have Mr. Jung’s official statement drawn up right away.”


 

“Come on Jae we need to get you through security soon.” said Yoochun as he pulled Jaejoong from the company sedan “You’re going to miss your flight at this rate.”

“Slow down Chunnie.” argued Jaejoong “I still have a couple of hours before my flight.”

“You’re not an international superstar like Yunho, you won’t be able to get an expedited security check today.” sighed Yoochun as he grabbed Jaejoong’s arm again and dragged him to the front doors “Remember without Yunho by your side you’re just an average citizen to the airport staff.”

“Alright!” grumbled Jaejoong irritated “I’m coming.”

Yoochun led Jaejoong through the main doors and dragged him through the huge lobby towards the check-in counters. Grabbing Jaejoong’s passport, visa, and plane ticket out of Jaejoong’s hand, Yoochun slapped them on the counter in front of a very timid looking attendant.

“This is Kim Jaejoong. He is checking in for his seven o’clock flight to New York.” said Yoochun with a smile.

“Very well sir.” answered the young attendant “Will Mr. Kim be checking any luggage?”

“Yes.” said Jaejoong as he placed his suitcase on the low lying table “Just this one.”

“Very good Sir.” answered the attendant before she immediately went to work keying in Jaejoong’s information. After a few moments, she looked up from her computer screen and smiled brightly.

“You’re all set Sir.” said the attendant as she handed Jaejoong his documents “We like to thank you for choosing Korean Air and I sincerely hope you have a wonderful flight.”

“Thank you.” answered Yoochun hurriedly before he grabbed Jaejoong by the arm once more “Come on. Let’s go!”

“What the hell is wrong with you?” questioned Jaejoong angrily after Yoochun had drug him halfway across the lobby “Let go of me! It hurts!”

“Why are you in such a hurry? It’s like you’re trying to get rid of me!” whined Jaejoong.

“Not at all.” denied Yoochun “Junsu ordered me to make sure you didn’t miss your flight. You know how Su has been lately, and if you miss your flight, he’ll take it out on me.”

“Chunnie, calm down.” sighed Jaejoong “I won’t miss my flight. I still have time.”

“Jae…” said Yoochun as he shook his head.

“I know, I know!” admitted Jaejoong “This meeting is super important. That’s why Junsu asked me to take care of it. I swear I won’t miss my flight so, stop dragging me around like your is on fire.”

“Sorry.” apologized Yoochun with smirk “There’s the line for security. Go ahead and get going.”

“Alright.” said Jaejoong with a frown “I’ll go.”

“Be safe.” said Yoochun as he reached out and hugged Jaejoong tightly “Make sure to get some sleep on the plane and remember to call Junsu when you land –or he’ll worry himself to death.”

“I will.” laughed Jaejoong “And, you promise me that you will look out for Su and Yunnie for me!”

“I swear.” confirmed Yoochun as he watch Jaejoong turn and quickly make his way to the security gate. After a few moments, Jaejoong passed through security and disappeared out of Yoochun’s sight.

“Thank god.” said Yoochun as he released a huge sigh of relief.

Yoochun turned and made his way out to the company sedan. As he sat down in the back seat, the smile that he had put on simply for Jaejoong’s benefit, instantly disappeared as the guilt he had been suppressing came flooding back.

“Damn it!” mumbled Yoochun as the car pulled away from the curb “I should have told him.”