I will protect you.

The Five Promises

 

As the sound of his new unreleased track echoed from inside his headphones, Yunho walked down New York’s busy 32nd street completely oblivious to the world around him. After finishing the last bit of work for this trip, he finally had time to take in the city’s sights for a few days before he had to head back to Seoul. Dressed in black combat boots and black jeans, with a stylish leather jacket over a simple white cotton shirt, Yunho readjusted his dark sunglasses under his baseball cap and marveled at the sights and sounds of the city. Almost three years had passed since he had the chance to come back to the city that had stolen his heart over ten years ago. To him, New York became his oasis from his chaotic idol life. Here, he could easily walk down the street and not be recognized by his adoring fans. Blending in with the crowded streets, he could easily see the sites and shop without the fear of being cornered by fans or reporters. Seoul was still his home, but after fifteen years of fans stalking his every move back home, he could truly breathe here and he loved it. 

As he turned the corner near Korean Town, Yunho was instantly hit with the sounds and smells of home. From the music emanating from the busy karaoke bars to the smells wafting from the popular bar-b-q joint across the street, Yunho stopped and took it all in. The busy street was littered with every type of person imaginable. Trendy teenagers sat outside the local music store laughing and carrying on about the latest hot Kpop groups, couples walked hand in hand chatting with one another and smiling brightly, and young children pestered their parents for something sweet from the local bakery. “So much like home.” giggled Yunho as he looked for a place to grab a bite to eat. Grabbing a sandwich at the local bakery, Yunho continued exploring the city. As the sun set over the city, Yunho headed for Central Park to watch the local street performers and people watch. Several hours had passed before Yunho glanced down at his watch for first time since he set out into the city.   

“It’s already one in the morning?” questioned Yunho in disbelief “I better head home.”

Looking back up and scanning the area to get his bearings, he realized that he was only five blocks from his apartment. Slipping his headphones back on and turning up the music, he began to make his way back home. “I’m going to miss this place.” he thought as he walked. Coming to a large intersection a few minutes later, Yunho smiled softly at the sight of some college students in front of the corner bar dancing and singing loudly. “Looks like their having fun.” sighed Yunho softly as he stopped at the crosswalk.

Standing near the curb, he looked up and took in his surroundings. The hustle and bustle of this particular intersection was chaotic. Cars seemed to stretch for miles one way but the side street was practically a ghost town. Even though the street itself was busy, the sidewalk seemed ominously bare. Loneliness crept in Yunho’s heart as he realized that the scene that played out before him seemed somewhat reminiscent of his life. His career was always busy like the street but his personal life was empty like the barren sidewalk that stretched before him. 

Shaking his head disappointedly, he sighed deeply as the thought of his personal life crossed his mind. “I miss her.” sniffled Yunho as the memory of his beloved Min Hee flashed through his mind. Fifteen years had passed since he had lost her, and the pain was just as fresh as the day it happened. Yunho had always blamed himself for her death. In his rational mind he knew that he couldn’t have prevented it, he couldn’t have saved her from her fate, but in his heart he believed that losing her was his punishment for some evil he had committed in this life. As the depression he had been fighting ever since her death began to weigh heavily on his mind once more, Yunho shook his head violently trying to chase away his tormenting thoughts.

As the cars began to slow down and stop for the now changing traffic light, Yunho stepped closer to the street. When the crosswalk sign flashed green, he stepped off the curb and began to make his way across the side street. After a few steps, he suddenly caught a bright light out of the corner of his eye. Turning towards the light, he immediately froze at the sight of a black sedan barreling towards him. Paralyzed with fear, he couldn’t move. He could barely breathe. The world seem to come to a standstill as he stood there watching his inevitable fate. As the memory of Min Hee flashed through his mind one final time, Yunho closed his eyes and thought “My punishment has come at last.” as he resounded himself to oblivion.

As the speeding car’s ominous headlights shown brighter and brighter on the frozen Yunho, a latent scream was heard before he was violently knocked down to the ground by an unknown man. As they both landed on the ground, Yunho’s head slammed on the pavement hard. Dazed and bleeding from the gash on his forehead, Yunho slowly opened his eyes and tried to focus. Everything was blurry and the sounds of the city seemed muffled.  As if everything was running in slow motion, Yunho breathed heavily. The latent sound of the black sedan crashing into the light post only a few feet away echoed in his ears as shimmering glass fragments showered down around him. As his eyes began to slowly close he was suddenly snapped out of his driving desire to sleep by the feel of someone grabbing his jacket and rolling him onto his back.

 

Closing and opening his eyes hurriedly, trying to bring back his vision, he glanced up at the man who now hovered over him, calling out to him. His voice, so muffled that Yunho couldn’t make it out clearly, seemed almost comforting. Leaning closer to Yunho, the man looked at him and said something softly but Yunho couldn’t make it out. Frustrated, the man sat back up and reached out his delicate hand and press down on the wound on his forehead.  As the shadowy figure above him seemed to be barking orders to the onlookers who had gathered around them, Yunho noticed something shimmering in gold and red hanging from around the man’s neck.Yunho stared intently at the beautifully shimmering light coming from the man, but couldn’t seem to bring it into focus. Lifting his head up trying to see it clearly he was immediately pushed back down by the man tending to him. As his head landed softly on the ground once more, Yunho felt the darkness creeping up on him. Lost in the shock of the ordeal he closed his eyes and heard the man clearly call his name mere seconds before he out. 
 


 

“Yunho?” pleaded Manager Yoon as he shook him lightly “Please wake up.”

The sound of Manager Yoon’s desperate pleas slowly brought Yunho out the engulfing darkness as he hesitantly opened his eyes. His head pounded ferociously causing him to instantly cringe as he reached up and clutched his forehead. The bright lights of the room were so harsh to his delicate eyes that Yunho immediately covered them with his other hand.  

"Yunho, look at me." begged Manager Yoon as he sighed in relief. 

Turning his head towards his manager, he peaked out of one eye and moaned “What happened?” before he tried to sit up in bed.

“Stay still!” yelled Manager Yoon as he pushed Yunho back down “You have a concussion.You can’t move around.”

“The doctor said you will be fine but you will have to stay here for a couple of days for observation.” continued Manager Yoon.

“How did I end up here?” asked Yunho confused.

“You don’t remember?” questioned Manager Yoon.

“I remember trying to cross the street. A car... hitting the ground… a muffled voice...” started Yunho before he began to trail off.

“Do you remember anything about the man that saved your life?” questioned Manager Yoon.

“Vaguely.” mumbled Yunho.

“The police said the man knocked you out of the way before the car hit you.” started Manager Yoon “He took care of you until the paramedics arrived then disappeared.”

“Disappeared?” questioned Yunho with a confused look “What do you mean disappeared?”

“One of the paramedics said that as soon as they arrived, the man just asked them to take care of you well before he ran off.” answered Manager Yoon.

“He has to survive.” interrupted a strange man as he walked up “That’s what he said.”

“Who are you?” questioned Yunho.

“This is the paramedic who took care of you and brought you to the hospital.” answered Manager Yoon.

“Sorry, my name is Mike.” apologized the man “I just wanted to check on you before I headed back out. How are you feeling?”

“Ok.” said Yunho “What can you tell me about the man that saved me? What did he look like? Did you get his name?”

“He didn’t give me his name.” informed Mike “He was acting really strange actually. I could tell that he was really concerned about you. He sounded like he was even on the verge of tears when I spoke to him but he kept his head down so I couldn’t see his face. It was like he was trying to hide his identity or something."

"He just told me that you have to survive and ran off.” Mike added.

“Is there anything else about him that you remember?” questioned Manager Yoon “I mean he saved Yunho’s life, we’d like to find him and thank him properly.”

“Not really…” started Mike “except, maybe his necklace? It was a really interesting design. I’d never seen one like it before.”

“I’m actually a little concerned about the man myself.” added Mike “He seemed to be limping as he left. I think he was hurt as well.”

“Necklace?” questioned Yunho “I think I remember it, but I couldn’t see it well.”

“Mike, do you think you can recall enough details about it to maybe draw a picture of it?” asked Manger Yoon “Maybe that will help Yunho remember it better and we might be able to use it to find him.”

“Sure.” agreed Mike “I remember it well.”

Opening his briefcase quickly, Manager Yoon pulled out a large notepad and a small pack of pencils and handed them to the kind and helpful man. Mike went to the nearby nurse’s station and after asking to borrow one of their desks, he sat down and set to his task. Manager Yoon looked back at Yunho and smiled as he said “Just rest and get better Yunho. I promise I will do everything I can to find this mystery man.” Ten minutes later Mike returned to Yunho’s bedside and handed Manager Yoon the drawing.

“Here I hope this helps.” smiled the man “I should get back to work.”

“If you need anything else, please feel free to call me.” said Mike as he handed Manager Yoon his business card, turned, and walked away.

“How are you going to find him?” questioned Yunho as the realization that he would be leaving New York for Seoul in just three days. “Will you even have time?”

“I will do what I can while we’re here and then let the US branch deal with it after we leave.” informed Manager Yoon “Don’t worry Yunho. I won’t give up, I promise.”

“For now, just get some rest.” ordered Manager Yoon softly.

“Ok.” whispered Yunho as he closed his eyes.

As Yunho drifted off to sleep, Manager Yoon flipped over the drawing and looked in amazement.

“This is pretty unique.” he whispered.