The Bonding

Bubble-gum and Candyfloss

Seunghyun awoke the next day to a bright ray of light casting through the sheen of the linen curtains, falling down on the bed where the two lovers lay sleeping and he could faintly hear the sounds of birds chirping happily in the comfort of an apple tree just outside the large window by the main door. The taller male looks down wearily, and sees Jiyong, still undisturbed and snuggled up by the side  of his chest. Seunghyun's right arm was aching from laying at his side for the whole night and it now felt numb and pulsating. Keeping his hand that was under Jiyong's face as still as possible, the boy sits up slowly and looks around the room; drab white walls and a cream carpeted floor, stained with brownish and yellow marks from the aging with time. There was a little door by the side of the bed, must be the bathroom. Speaking of which, he needed to go...

the turquoise haired boy glanced frantically down at Jiyong, not wanting to wake him up. Gosh, didnt he look beautiful asleep....light pink hair fluffy again, milky white skin creamy to the touch and shadows casting pefectly to illuminate half of his gorgeous facial features; sharp nose and chin, scarlet luscious lips that looked oh so kissable just the by way they parted naturally. His eye sockets deep, holding a pair of large brownish black eyes that Seunghyun knew could spring open any minute and curl with happiness;

"Morning Bubble-gum~heehee!"

His sugar sweet voice and that amazing smile, pearly teeth biting into the lower lip while he smiled widely and wrapped his arms around the person before him, his little warm body emitting heat like a miniature ball of sunshine in his chest. 

Oh how he longed that he could stay like this with Jiyong, watching him sleep and everything...

holding in his 'call of nature' , Seunghyun's eyes wandered towards the alarm clock on the old wooden bedside table. '9am' the cafe had been opened for an hour...He should probably wake Jiyong up anyways. But then he remembered all the drama from last night, the little boy had to be completely exhausted, both mentally and physically. Sighing softly and Not being to help himself once more, Seunghyun lay a finger on Jiyong's flawless forehead and sweeps away a stray stand of hair, perfectly adorable was he as he lay, looking as vulnerable as a turtle on its back. But this time, Jiyong stirs a little and whines at his touch, curling up into a tighter ball which allows Seunghyun to slip his hand free and get off the bed quickly. Wow...Jiyong rly did like to sleep..

seunghyun takes one last look at the sleeping boy, his petite frame shrouded by the darkness and yet cast a thin silhouette with the morning sun. His breathing, soft and regular. And thin shirt hitched up a little, revealing his sleek back and the deep groves within some parts; scars...

they were a light pink, darker than the colour of his pale skin though. he couldn't clearly see the details on them, but there were many of them, marking the skin almost all the way the lower small of his back. Seunghyun felt his heart go out to jiyong..all the boy had to go through..he'd better let him sleep.

After washing his face in the broken ceremic sink and using the loo, Seunghyun steps back into the room and pulls jiyong's thin top down to cover up his creamy flesh. he smiled and pulled the folded covers across Jiyong'd body and thought about helping out at the cafe. it would be a good way to spend his weekends. and he was probably gonna go to the Cafe both the days anyways (no where else to go), may as well do some good in the process.

he opens the back door and the warm winter sun greets him, causing him to squint at the bright light as he clambered down the rickity metal stairwell. the air was filled withthe sounds of birds singing and noisy radiators and the smell of the cafe; freshly baked bread and waffles and coffee. even from the backyard, Seunghyun could hear the morning bustle inside the cafe, talking, laughing and the sounds of ceremic plates and metal forks clanking together from the kitchen. Seunghyun puts a smile on his face and pushes his wide palm against the back wooden door that read 'staff only', steping into the kitchen where ovens were on and toasters were toasting, kettles whistling and begging to be taken off the stove. Seunghyun quickened his steps and removed a screaming kettle from its post, just as Yongbae came stumbling in, a black apron tied around his waist and his face flustered. 

The older male looked up at seunghyun, slightly embarassed as he stood up straight and cleared his throat, giving him a willy smile as he turned aroung and poured a cup of hot water into a bowl and stired in some flour, adding apples and sugar as he said, 

"Heh..Good morning Seunghyun! how was your sleep last night...?"

Seunghyun felt his face go hot as Yongbae looked at his expression and laughed, his eyes glistening under the light of the kitchen as he poured the mixture into the waffle maker and removed a perfectly cooked, thick cut of the sweet treat.

"HAHAHAHAhaha...just messing with you..how was Jiyong?" he goes on, coughing slightly and Seunghyun watches him swing around the kitchen to grab a bottle of whipped cream and squeezed it on the waffle which lay in a bed of chocolate syrup and freshly cut bannanas and strawberries.

the turquoise hair boy thought of the words to say and kept out of Yongbae's way as the man dashed back and forth throughout the room. Seunghyun had never seen anyone move that fast in a confined space in his entire life so far, and it kinda distracted his thoughts, watching his teacher dart here and there and just as he thinks of the words, yongbae turns on his heel with the squeak of his sneakers snd relpies,

"Hold that thought, i'll be right back"

he runs to the counter and Seunghyun hears he speaking quickly, 

"Yes welcome! can i take your order?" That will be $12.60 sir, would you like some coffee with that? milk sir?"

he went on and on for about 10 minutes and came back in out of breath with a list of orders, in a breath as he started the process of cooking, breaking eggs in a bowl and making batter, watching the ovens and throwing dshes out the serving window. Seunghyun swallowed and spoke, "Uh...Youngbae Hyung...i'll help you out here if you want! and urm...Jiyong he..." he was cut off by his teacher who almost instantly threw a apron against his body and smirked, 

"thanks Seunghyun. and, just call me Hyung.by the way... last night...thank you for watching over Jiyong for me..it saved me the trouble of running up an down the stairs outside just to check on him."

"Oh...that um, its nothing Hyung..i'm glad to help you out as much as possible! i can't express how much i want to thank you stil..."

Seunghyun stumbled and quickly threw the apron over his head and tied it around his waist, seeing Yongbae smiling with his arms crosed over his broad chest and thwacks him playfully on the shoulder, a corner of his mouth tweaking higher than the other as he spoke jokingly,

"Just promise me that you will protect my Dongseng with your life and i won't come after you, now go out there and make ureself useful u little pabo. :) i'll make u a cup of coffee, dark?"

the turquoise haired boy nodded and curled his lips upwards in a goofy smile, nodding his head thankfully before heading out into the busy cafe to take orders.

with Yongbae focusing on the kitchen and Seunghyun writing down orders as fast as ever, everything ran smoothly. food got out on time, and customers were happy with it. Seunghyun often heard singing comming from the kitchen and he hummed and tapped along, catching the attention of the older teacher in the kitchen. the 22 year old poked his head out and raised an eyebrow, enquiring,

"Seunghyun, you know that song?" 

the boy turned around from placing a customer's order and handed the slip of paper to Yongbae as he nodded in response, 

"Yea, its one of my favourite english songs, 'calling the maker' by Aimee Allen...the only one where i actually know the words anyways..'

Seunghyun's voice trails off as he turns his back to give a customer their order of pancakes which yongbae had just taken out fresh from the pan and he plops a scoop of butter and syrup onto the soft, fluffy breakfast cakes.

"Well...you wanna sing it with me? Your voice is pretty damn good for someone your age, Just like Jiyong. and besides, you know the lyrics well don't you? have a go shall we?"

Yongbae probs and hands Seunghyun another order, this time scrambled eggs and bacon, not really giving the boy much of a choice as he played the openning beat against the metal frame of the kitchen door with a metal chopstick and the back of a pot, shooting Seunghyun a reassuring smile as he started, voice ringing loud and clear as all the customers turned to look at him,  looks of either curiousity or awkwardness on their faces. but the regulars knew this was normal here at the aftershool cafe and they cla[pped along to the rhythm and cheered

Get my money back, pay my bail
Put me baby in the county jail
Do my time, Lord, and I won't tell
Everybody, everybody going to hell~ 

Yongbae stops and glances over back to the stove where his orders were cooking, filpping over a blueberry pancake and he shot Seunghyun one of those electric looks, as if trying to say to him, "Justr dont look at them, then u won't feel nervous!" so seunghyun smiled slightly and took a deep breath, letting the clapping and the humming of the students of the afterschool cafe and the public lead him into the next part of the song, 

Pick back my fat, skin my bones
Thirty-two teeth crack throwing stones
Call on Jesus, bring us home

I ain't done nothing but love


Seunghyun stops to in a breath before breathing out,

I ain't done nothing but... hey love

Yongbae meets Seunghyun in this sentence and swings towards the register to hand him 2 more orders of french toast and a sasusage omelette with onions. then the two males, go silent, and as if there was a mutal understanding, they both gave each other a Smirk and took a deep breath. starting once again, this time alight with burning passion,

Chorus:
All hands are calling the maker
Dirty with the salt from the undertaker
Damn, I hear John the Revalator
Mama's in the kitchen dancing and singing, 
COME ON SING IF U KNOW THE LYRICS!

Yongbae  urges the crowd with a wild gesture of his hands and he retreats to the back of the stove and mixed a bowl of batter, singing along happily with seunghyun the main lyrics as the whole cafe repeated the chorus and was filled with the sound of young and old voices ringing loud and clear, for those who knew English of course. 

All hands are calling the maker
Dirty with the salt from the undertaker
Damn, I hear John the Revalator
Mama's in the kitchen dancing and singing


Get my money back, I pay my bail
Put me baby, put me baby in the county jail


Do my time, Lord, and I won't tell
On everybody~  
going to hell
Pick back my fat~ skin my bones
Your teeth crack~ throwing stones
Call on Je-sus~, bring us home
I ain't done nothin' but love
I ain't done nothin' but love~


the song ends with the men's low voices trailing off as one, casually going back to work as a thunderous roar of applaus rises from the crowd of early morning customers, clapping hands and whistles. And after that, almost everyone smiled at the boy at the counter, some even complimented his voice and gave a tip, saying they would come back again if this was usaully the mood in the cafe. Yongbae saw this and pat seunghyun on the back, Coughing hard into his sleeve just before he croaked, one eye shut, 

"keep it up-*cough* seunghyun...we'll close up for an hour in a bit..."

The male watches in worry as his teacher leaves the kitchen with the last order of the morning service and plonks it infront of a customer's table. his steps were shaky and his arm was around his stomach, his mouth burried in his hand as he lurrched forward, hitting his shoulder against the wall as if loosing balance. Seunghyun collected the last customer's payment and tore their reciept hastefully, shoving the change with the plastic paper into thier hands as he forces a fake smile and bursts through the small door that led to the behind of the counter.

"Hyung! Ar-are u alright?!"

He rushes to Yongbae's side and supports the man just before he trips over his sneakers; he didn't look so good, face turning pale as he stuttered out in response, not even looking up to face seunghyun, 

"I'm fine Seunghyun..Ge-get this open for me..please.."

the teacher hands his student a bottle from his pocket, fingers barely ale to grasp the smooth surface as he shook violently,

"Hurry...Please!"

Seunghyun obeys at the sound of desperation in his voice and fumbles with the tight cap, handing the bottle to Yongbae and his black eyes scaned across the bottle, 'pain killers,  ALS' 

Seunghyun felt his eyes widen as Yongbae dragged him to the back yard, coughing and wheezing heavily as he leaned up against the dirty outside walls. no..Yongbae? ill? with ALS.....?

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Awww...sorry if this chapter was a little too long. warning though, the story gets a little tragic from here on..:( please comment and Subscribe if u like this story! oso check out my other stories, updates coming soon! :D thinking of doing a hardcore oneshot next as requested by the poll... all my subscribers, thank you for the support u guys are amazinggg!!! hahaha gotta go now! a little busy nowadays, hope i have time for regular updates XD

~MistressofManga

 

Btw, here is the definition of ALS: ALS, nerve cells (neurons) waste away or die, and can no longer send messages to muscles. This eventually leads to muscle weakening, twitching, and an inability to move the arms, legs, and body. The condition slowly gets worse. When the muscles in the chest area stop working, it becomes hard or impossible to breathe.

ALS affects approximately 5 out of every 100,000 people worldwide.