#8 Rock Climbing

Can't Be Changed

Sungjong and Myungsoo looked at the manager with surprise. “Am I his partner?” both asked.

The manager nodded, with a small smile playing in the corner of his lips. “For this activity, since Myungsoo and Eun Mi know how to kayak and Sungjong and Mi Jin doesn’t.”

“Ah, well ok.” Myungsoo nodded.

Sungjong just looked down – neither smiled nor frowned.

They all got into the boat and began to ride. Myungsoo took the front.

“Um, what I said earlier...” Myungsoo started.

“Don’t worry, I know you didn’t mean any of it. Let’s just focus on riding this thing, ok?” Sungjong pulled on a fake smile and continued paddling.”

“Thank you for being so understanding,” Myungsoo whispered.

Sungjong sighed. ‘Just as I thought, he didn’t mean any of it. He is just doing it for the sake of being nice. That is a good thing. It will make it easier for me!’

The two silently rode.

“Picking up the pace,” the manager announced from in front.

Everyone paddled with all their might. Sungjong tried his best not to mess up. He didn’t want to slow down Myungsoo.

“Hey, take it easy. I’m not in a hurry like that teacher!” Myungsoo smiled; a smile that Sungjong couldn’t see.

“Ok,” the other replied in a sad tone.

Myungsoo and Sungjong were the way behind the rest.

“Shouldn’t we go a little faster?” Sungjong suggested.

“No. It’s ok,” Myungsoo was determined to go slower than the rest.

This was tormenting for Sungjong though. No one is unaware of the fact that his feelings are about to go wild. Mi Jin could’ve helped him if she was here but she wasn’t.

 

In the distance, Eun Mi and Mi Jin seem to be having a lot of fun.

“They are taking their time,” Eun Mi said in a harsh tone.

“Tell me about it.” Mi Jin replied.

“I don’t understand Myungsoo... He seems to like Sungjong then other times he just gets out of control. I’m getting a head-ache,” Eun Mi frowned.

“What to do?”

“We will just leave that for Myungsoo to decide!”

“Oh, I always wanted to ask you. How did you travel from Myungsoo camp to the canteen quickly?” Mi Jin questioned. This has been killing her from within ever since Sungjong started complaining about it.

“Ah, under-ground tunnels,” she answered.

“Under-ground tunnels?”

“Yeah, my father built them for me when the camp was first opened,” she explained.

“Oh, why did he build it for you?”

“It’s a secret.”

 

Myungsoo and Sungjong actually caught up with the others. All of a sudden, the manager came to a stop.

“What happened?” a student asked.

“We are going to play a game,” the manager smiled. “First line all your boats side by side. Hold onto each other’s boats tightly, ok?”

Everyone nodded.

“Ok! Now, let us try this. Um, is there anyone that is brave enough to stand up on the boat? Don’t worry if you fall. You have your life jacket.” The manager reassured but it didn’t sound so confident.

“I will give it a shot,” Eun Mi shouted.

“Ah, Eun Mi-ah, go ahead.”

She slowly stood up, her legs were wobbling but she managed to control them. She stretched her hands out to keep the balance.

Everyone began to clap! “She’s so brave.” “That looks fun.” “She is so cool.” These words made Eun Mi smile brighter.

“I want to give it a try,” a boy said.

After a while, everyone gave it a shot except Myungsoo and Sungjong.

“Why don’t the two of you try together?” the manager urged.

Myungsoo shrugged, “I don’t mind.”

“I’m sorry, but I’m a little scared so do not wish to try.”

“Then just leave it! Let’s move on, we are nearly at the camp,” Myungsoo said, rolling his eyes,

“Fine.” The manager’s voice sounded a little off.

 

Once they made it back to the campsite, Sungjong rushed off to his new dorm. He had to sleep, the experience he had today was far more tiring than all the, past, experiences put together.

 

Sungjong woke up after a few hours. He looked at the time to see it was only ten pm. He realized Mi Jin wasn’t there either. He decided to look for her then recognized a note with a tray covered in tin foil.

‘Sungjong-ah, its bad not to eat so enjoy.’ He smiled to himself and ate the food. He, then, went outside to see Mi Jin sitting on the stairs alone wondering into space.

“What are you doing out here?” Sungjong’s soft voice made Mi Jin jump with terror.

“You scared me. Ah, I needed some fresh air so came out here. Want to sit?” She tapped the empty space beside her. ‘There always seem to be an empty space beside me, these days’ Mi Jin thought to herself.

“Mi Jin, let’s make happy memories together during this summer, ok? Let us look at the boat as a happy memory as well. We would laugh our heads off when we think back to it, one day.”

Mi Jin looked at Sungjong with a natural glow in her eyes and nodded. “We shall do that!”

“Now, come on inside. It’s cold out here!” Sungjong moaned.

“I want to walk around for a bit. You go ahead,” she replied. The distant look remained on her face.

“I will accompany you then.”

 

“Oppa, can we walk around for a bit. It’s really stuffy in here,” Eun Mi frowned.

“Sure.” Myungsoo, dully, answered.

The two started walking around in silence. They let the rough wind cool them down.

As the two neared Mi Jin’s camp, Myungsoo spotted Sungjong tying back Mi Jin’s hair. Something within him flared up.

“Who are you staring at with those eyes full of flame?” Eun Mi whispered.

Snapping out of it, Myungsoo shook his head and led her forwards.

“Ah, Sungjong-ah? What are the two of you doing here?” Eun Mi asked.

“Oh, I wanted to walk around and Sungjong tagged along for safety.”

Myungsoo looked at Sungjong – whom was smiling under his breath.

Sungjong, then, looked up to see Myungsoo rolling his eyes. With that, the tilt in his lips straightened. “We’ll get going then.” He quickly said.

“Wait, what were you doing with her hair earlier?” The words split out of Myungsoo’s mouth unknowingly.

“He tied my hair back because it was going wild,” Mi Jin explained.

“That’s so cute!” Eun Mi spazzed.

“Bye, then.” Sungjong and Mi Jin walked off towards their dorm.

“Why do you have to ask that?” Eun Mi said, shaking her head. “Why do you care?”

‘She is right. Why, do I care?’

 

 “Today’s challenge is rock climbing!” the manager said the following day. 

 


 
Hello~! 
To those that haven't heard of the band Nell - YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM! 
That was random, sorry. However, seriously, they are so good xD
Anyways, yep, moving on~ why is this so awkward? I forgot what I was going to say -__- /sigh - my memory and me.
/Claps hands - Oh, yes. I might not update until I finish the other one shot that I will be entering for a contest - the one I was talking about earlier. 
Therefore, sorry /bows/. 
(In addition, my writing style would differ to this greatly since the genre revolves around angst/violence)