#7 Something Bigger

Can't Be Changed

The manager clapped to get their attention. “Ok, grab a life-jacket, everyone and stand beside your pair!” he commanded.

Everyone went forward pair by pair and picked one of the life jackets. After putting them on, they made their way to where the boats were.

The boats varied in colour. They were long but not wide. It consisted of two seats, one at the front and one at the back. The distance between the two was enough for the person at the back to stretch their legs out.

“Ok, can you pick one of the boats and place it in the river. Be careful, they are quite heavy so make sure your partner helps you.”

They all nodded in response and did as asked.

There was only one group remaining. Myungsoo looked at Eun Mi then back down at the boat.

“Hurry up and hold the other side!” Eun Mi demanded.

“Aish, father and daughter has the same – loud and annoying – voice!” Myungsoo complained as he grabbed one side and lifted it up.

They worked together and placed it in the water.

“Get in and make sure you use the paddle. Wait, do you guys know how to ride this?”

“No,” some shouted whilst the remaining said, “Yes.”

“Ok, this is will be really easy. You will get the hang of it by the end of today. So, I will show you how to do it first then you guys can start ok. Which pair wants to get in first?”

“Wait, are we doing this for the whole day?” a person asked.

“Yes, we are!”

Moans settled within their heads.

“We will go first,” Sungjong stepped forward and smiled at Mi Jin. “Let’s go!”

Mi Jin nodded and the manager helped them get into the two seats one by one. Sungjong took the front as it required more work and Mi Jin took the back.

He began to use his paddle and push a great amount of water back. It felt like going against gravity – it was that hard. With that one push, they began to move and a person, whom was already in the water, gestured at them to follow what he does.

Sungjong and Mi Jin copied patiently. They went in zig zags, however, made it to the other side alive. Now, they had to wait for the other group to get there.

After all the kids lined up against the shore, on the other side, the manager took the lead and made them follow him slowly. The other man remained behind them for safety reasons.

Everything was going so smoothly, as the manager planned. He began to pick up the pace a little. This was a big mistake since everyone started to believe it was a competition. One overtook the other, others were out of control.

Sungjong and Mi Jin struggled to keep up with everyone as it’s their first time. The man, that was supposed to be behind them, took over as well. Going left to right to left again, Mi Jin and Sungjong began to have a hard time. Their hands began to hurt due to the friction of the water against the paddle.

After a while, everyone started to stop and wait. The two pair worked extra hard to get to where the rest were gathered.

“Come on!” the manager’s voice echoed.

As they neared the groups, the manager started moving again.

Trying to overtake the rest, Sungjong and Mi Jin took a dangerous turn into the middle of enormous river. Not knowing something bigger was heading towards them, they paddled harder. This began to make their arms sour. They stopped for the while, completely relying on the wind and the flow of the sea.

“Yah! What are you doing there?!” a scream was heard from afar.

The two looked in the direction was the noise to see the manager heading towards them screaming.

“Look behind you!” he shouted.

They looked behind them to see a big ferry heading in their direction. Mi Jin let out a scream.

“Stop screaming and start paddling,” the manager advised.

The two didn’t know what to do! The shock took over their heads. They sat still as possible, thinking that might help them.

Turning numb, seeing everything go by slowly and hearing screams of people on the boat – was all they did. The screams were close by but, then, for the two it seemed as if it was coming from a distance far, far away.

 The big ship bumped past them and everything went back to normal.

“What do you think you were doing sitting there like that?!” the manger’s voice was loud and clear again.

Unable to reply, or give off some kind of expression, the two sat in silence.

The manager sighed and threw some of the dirty river water onto their face.

Snapping out of their mental break-down, they looked at the manager with eyes that were close to tears.

“Once we get to out eating destination, I’m changing your partners. Putting the two of you together is far more dangerous than getting a monkey drive a car full of people,” he teased to brighten them up.

However, the pair didn’t get the joke. Their serious expression remained on their faces.

“Ok, let’s get back!”

“Sorry,” Sungjong whispered to Mi Jin. “I couldn’t protect you.” He looked down in shame as he paddled closely behind the manager.

“No, I’m the one that should be sorry. I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you,” she whispered back.

 

The manager decided to take things slowly like before so it took them longer to reach their lunch place than usual.

When they did reach there, Sungjong and Mi Jin quickly jumped off and took their life jackets off.

Sitting on land, under the blazing sun, made Sungjong smile. He finally felt safe again. Mi Jin was sitting beside him, observing him as if he was some unique piece of art.

“Why did they just sit there?” “Why didn’t they shout for help?” “Some people can be dumb, these days.” Words flew passed them, but they did not acknowledge the existence of the people whom said such harsh things.

Myungsoo, on the other hand, couldn’t take it anymore. He stood up and shouted, “Shut up! They were probably in shock. I bet every one of you would’ve done the same thing if that happened! So why don’t you guys just shut up and stuff your face with the food that is provided!” Under his breath, he said, “idiots.”

Sungjong looked up and Myungsoo. Expressionless, he looked away again. Myungsoo felt a little hurt then went back to Eun Mi’s side.

“Ha, you shouldn’t have said that. Sungjong didn’t even say ‘thanks’ in repay. Why are you even interfering with something they don’t even care about?”

“Shut up!” Myungsoo said before lying down on the grass, biting into his sandwich.

 

‘He shouldn’t have said those words. He keeps making it harder for me to forget. One day, he supports me then the next he goes against me. What is exactly going through his mind? Torturing me, does it make him happy?’ Sungjong thoughts were filled with Myungsoo, again.

“Sungjong, eat your lunch. We have a long ride back.” Mi Jin gently tapped his shoulder. “You need the energy.”

He just nodded and looked around to see Myungsoo sleeping.

 

After eating, everyone gathered around the boats again.

“New partner for Mi Jin is Eun Mi, for the way back,” the manager said.

Sungjong and Myungsoo looked at the manager with surprise. “Am I his partner?” both asked.

The manager just nodded, with a small smile playing in the corner of his lips.