Chapter 8

Lion and the Lamb

“Jieun?” Kikwang couldn’t believe that Hyosung was friends with Jieun. How did she end up here in Apgujeong, on the other side of Seoul?


Hyosung noticed this interaction. “You two know each other?”

 

Jieun nodded, her eyes blank as she uttered, “Yes.”

 

Kikwang clarified. “We were childhood friends in Seocho. Jieun and I actually have some catching up to do after this, right Jieun?”

 

Jieun met Kikwang’s eyes. They were pitiful. “Of course, Kikwang and I were very close.”

 

Hana and Sunhwa were surprised at this unexpected turnout. Jieun’s gaze remained on her food while Hyosung and Kikwang talked. She wasn’t hungry anymore.

 

In fact, she felt disoriented and dizzy. “I have to go to the bathroom.” Jieun bolted out of her seat, walking rather fast to the restroom.

 

Kikwang saw his opportunity. “I’ll go check on her to see if she’s okay.” Before the other girls could respond, he dashed after Jieun.

 

Jieun almost reached the handle of the door, but Kikwang grabbed her wrist and pulled into an empty booth.

 

His hand quickly let go. “Sorry.” He apologized sheepishly.

 

Jieun exhaled deeply. “How did you meet Hyosung?”

 

“I started training at the dance studio here, since Seocho barely has a run-down studio.” Kikwang said.

 

“You two are cute together.”  Jieun meekly added after seeing that he was telling the truth . “Does that mean you’ll be living in Apgujeong now?”

 

“Yeah, until I can find a new place.”

 

Jieun scratched her head. It seemed unreal that Kikwang was here with her right now. She hadn’t spoken to him since, well, he left.

 

Kikwang seemed to read her mind. “Has he tried to talk to you?”

 

“No. I’ve written him so many letters though. I even tried calling and emailing him. He never picks up or responds.” Jieun’s voice was shaky.

 

Kikwang rubbed Jieun’s shoulder. “He’s changed.”

 

“Do you guys still talk?” Jieun hoped they didn’t.

 

“We talk a lot. He’s doing well in America.” Kikwang felt bad for Jieun. She obviously wasn’t over him yet.

 

“That’s good to hear… Kikwang, I miss him.” She admitted.

 

“He still loves you, Jieun.” Kikwang consoled her.

 

Jieun’s heart skipped a beat. He still loves her? A big grin emerged on her face.

 

“But, I think you need to move on.” Kikwang saw her face fall immediately.

 

“I… I… don’t want to.” Jieun stuttered. Her mind told her Kikwang was right, but her heart knew she just couldn’t let go of him.

 

“Jieun, it’s been a year already.” Kikwang knew how stubborn Jieun was.

 

She waved her left hand at him, flashing a silver infinity ring. “Did he give that to you?” Kikwang asked.

 

She smiled whenever she looked at it. “Before he wanted to take a break, he gave me this ring. He told me when he comes back to Korea, he’ll find me. He promised me that we’re getting married.”

 

When he heard Jieun’s words, Kikwang knew it wasn’t the right time to shatter her dreams. Not while she was still trying to recover from her broken heart. The least he could do was let her hold onto the last shred of hope.

 


 

Yongguk leaned against the railing that protected him from falling off the roof. He sought solace when he went on the rooftop. When his mother, an active alumni of TS High School, donated money towards the athletics program last year, he was allowed to claim the rooftop his own and spend his free time there at school when he wanted to be alone.

 

He hadn’t come up to the rooftop since school started, but someone else had. He cautiously scanned his surroundings. Something seemed weird. It was like someone moved all his plants and pots of flowers elsewhere. His tulips were on the other side of the roof.

 

He frowned, walking over to his baby blue tulips. He was about to lift up the pot when an object caught his eye. Yongguk squatted.

 

Why would there be a bottle of pills be lying around here? He picked up the small bottle. It was unlabeled. Yongguk screwed open the cap.

 

Painkillers.

 

Either someone was purposely popping painkillers on his territory or that person accidentally left it when he/she was on the roof. He assumed it was the former, since the bottle was half empty and a yesterday’s date was scribbled in black marker on the bottom of the bottle.

 

Yongguk froze when he heard footsteps. Nobody had ever dared to come up here while he was on the rooftop. At least now he would know who the culprit was. He quickly stuffed the pills into his pocket.

 

“Yongguk?”

 

His breath caught. “What are you doing up here?” That came out harsher than he intended.

 

Jieun took a few steps back. She had no idea he would be up here. Jieun had discovered this place after exploring the school one day. The door remained unlocked, so Jieun kept coming up here. She thoughts the flowers made the bare rooftop look like an oasis. It was beautiful. She felt so at ease on the rooftop.

 

“What are you doing up here?” She countered. She couldn’t bring herself to tear her eyes away from Yongguk’s clothed chest. She remembered how she saw him shirtless after soccer practice. She had this strange urge to his shirt.

 

Yongguk’s hand was still on his pocket. So it was Jieun’s painkillers.

 

“This is my place. Everyone here knows that.” Yongguk coldly rolled his eyes. A part of him was annoyed that it was Jieun again; she always managed to get under his skin. But then he felt that strange longing to be near her that he couldn’t neither decipher nor ignore.

 

She bit her lip. He saw this, fixating his eyes on her bottom lip. “You’re the person who’s been coming up here. You moved around my plants.” He stated.

 

“Oh… I didn’t mean to. I’m sorry.” Her gaze perused the rooftop.

 

Yongguk smirked. “So why are you up here?” He knew exactly why—Jieun was looking for the pills.

 

She avoided his question, brushing past him. “It’s gorgeous up here. I love your flowers.” Jieun smiled brightly, discreetly trying to spot her painkillers.

 

It was that perfect smile of hers again. Yongguk grew more irritated. “Don’t try to fool me. Tell me why you’re here.” He started to close the space between them.

 

Jieun involuntarily blushed at his proximity. He smelled awfully nice, though. Yongguk must’ve been wearing spicy, masculine cologne.

 

“I’m looking for something. I left it here yesterday. But, I can’t find it, so I guess I’ll be going now…” She bowed her head, ready to get the hell out of there. Yongguk let out an condescending laugh.

 

“Looking for this, princess?” Yongguk took out the bottle and waved it in front of her face.

 

Jieun’s was ashen. Yongguk gave her a teasing smirk, referring to the drugs in his hand. “I didn’t know you were such a bad girl, Jieun.”

 

She gritted her teeth. “Give. It. Back.” Jieun tried to snatch it from him, but he was too damn fast. He held the bottle above his head. Even if she jumped, her short stature wouldn’t be able to reach it. She was fuming at this point, about to blow a gasket, but Yongguk remained calm and amused.

 

“Aw, what does Little-Miss-Perfect Song Jieun need painkillers for?” He backed her up slowly as he advanced forward.

 

Jieun rattled her brain for a convincing excuse. “Headaches! I have horrible migraines.” Her face became even more red.

 

“Liar.” He scoffed. Jeez, this girl was pathetic at lying. Yongguk had her in the palm of his hand instantly. All he needed was a good piece of bait—the pills.

 

She took deep breaths, slowly allowing Jieun to maintain a poker face. “Why would I lie about painkillers?”

 

“I’m not stupid, Jieun. The bottle’s half empty.” Jieun was pressed against the railing. Yongguk still stood mere inches away from her body.

 

“So? I’ve had the pills for a while now. I take two whenever I have these migraines.” Jieun her lips, seeing how chapped they got.

 

Damn it. She was doing it again. In that moment, Yongguk felt something stir within him. Jieun used his second of weakness to try and take the pills out of his hand. She failed. He pressed her against the railing even harder, this time with his own body.

 

“I’m still not giving it back to you.” Yongguk said. He realized how close he was to her, but he didn’t move. It was almost as if he was in a trance. He couldn’t concentrate.

 

“Why?!” If Jieun wanted to, she could kiss him right then and there. Maybe she would, just to shut him up and get the painkillers back.

 

He flipped the bottle over, showing her the bottom of it. “I would believe you, but the date says this was purchased yesterday. You couldn’t have taken half of it unless you were trying to overdose.”

 

Jieun stood agape. She couldn’t say anything. If she tried to protest, she’d only end up sounding stupider.

 

He continued, satisfied with her inability to speak. “I’ve been to enough parties with drugs present to know that this is OxyContin. I’ve tried oxycodone before, Jieun.”

 

Jieun was silent. There was nothing to say. Yongguk figured it out. He knew she was hiding something, and he, Bang Yongguk, knew what it was.

 

Song Jieun was addicted to painkillers.

 

“You can’t tell anyone.” She whispered. At last, her secret was out. She was more bothered that Yongguk knew about it, however. If it was Hana or Junhong, she’d be less panicky, but this was Yongguk—perhaps the most powerful student at their school. He could do anything to ruin her life now. Yongguk could get her kicked out, report her to the police, and so much more.

 

“Why not? I’m a good citizen. I should tell someone about this, shouldn’t I?” He taunted her incessantly. It was a nice change to see Jieun’s flawed, darker side.

 

Jieun’s fate rested in Yongguk’s hands. All he had to do was decide what to do with it now.

 

“I’m being serious, you cannot tell anyone. Not even Daehyun, Junhong, Himchan, Youngjae, or the girls.” Jieun would do anything to keep her secret from becoming public.

 

Yongguk’s smirk faded a bit after realizing how serious she was. He could feel her trembling against him. He was a human being, after all. He’d rather keep Jieun on her toes than ruin her. Yongguk was having so much fun tormenting her anyways.

 

“Fine.” He complied tersely.

 

“Thank you.” She breathed out, her heart still beating rapidly. Jieun had the sneaky suspicion that there were strings attached to this deal, however. She remained wary.

 

He studied her features. “I guess there’s a lot we have to learn about Song Jieun, then.”

 

Jieun looked at him straight in the eye. “Everyone has some things they like to keep to themselves.”

 

“And what would that be?” He questioned her. He almost lifted his fingers to her bare shoulder. Yongguk was acting off instinct now. He had to give her props, though. She was the only girl that made him act out of character.

 

She drove him mad.

 

Her face turned into stone. “None of your business.” She pushed him off of her, her skin now feeling cold.

 

Jieun had to leave. She had to get away from him.

 

“You shouldn’t be taking these.” Yongguk said quietly. She could hear him still.

 

Jieun sighed, not bothering to comment. “Bye, Yongguk.” She muttered, exiting. She had a real headache now.

 

Once she left, Yongguk clutched the bottle to his chest, the pills. He pondered about what just happened. Why would she take them in the first place? Was she taking other drugs too? He had so many unanswered questions.

 

Yongguk hoped she would return to the rooftop soon.

 


 

A/N: I threw another curveball at you guys, sorry! Lol.

 

And just to clarify, a lot of people thought Kikwang was Jieun’s ex. Of course he isn’t! Did you all think I would reveal him that easily? Hehehe… *evil laugh*

 

Anyways, don’t forget to subscribe/comment/upvote!

 

-Adri