Chapter 15

Lion and the Lamb

Taehee politely rang the doorbell of the Bang residence. She could hear slow padding of feet inside the house. A weary, red-eyed Yongguk opened the door. He stepped aside to let her in. Taehee took note of Yongguk’s state. He sounded miserable over the phone, so Taehee raced over to see what was wrong.

 

She made herself comfortable in a recliner in one of the living rooms. Taehee’s eyes widened when she saw the contents on the table.

 

“You’ve been drinking, haven’t you.” Several bottles of various drinks lined the glass tabletop.

 

He didn’t respond, only taking another swig of a bottle of Jack Daniel’s that he had nestled in the crook of his arm.

 

“Tell me what happened, Yongguk. Did something happen at the Ball?”

 

“Yes.” He nodded.

 

Taehee took out her notebook. She had an idea of who was causing his teenage misery.

 

“Does this have to do with Jieun?”

 

Yongguk was dumbfounded. “What…How did you know?”

 

Taehee smirked knowingly. “Lucky guess.”

 

She sighed when he continued to drink. “Put down the bottle.”

 

“I don’t want to.”

 

“You’re acting like a child, Yongguk.” She added, harsher this time.

 

Yongguk laughed hoarsely. “I am a child. I’m immature, rash, cold. Everything she hates.”

 

“Everything Jieun hates?”

 

“Yes. She doesn’t like guys like me.”

 

“What wouldn’t she like about you, Yongguk?”

 

“I’m a douchebag, Taehee. Let’s be honest—I’m easy to hate.”

 

“You’re not a douchebag, Yongguk. In fact, I think you’re very lovable and agreeable. It’s just that you can be cold and standoffish at times.” Taehee reasoned.

 

“It’s better that way. Your feelings get in the way. See, this is what happens when I decided to let someone break the ice a little. Ever since Jieun arrived.”

 

Taehee sighed, looking at the clock. She hated to end the session so soon, but she couldn’t let him skip his classes. “You need to get to school. It’s almost eight.”

 

Yongguk refused, “It’s Thursday, and I’ve missed three days already. What makes you think I want to go today?”

 

Taehee cast him a disapproving look. This Jieun girl must’ve gotten to him badly. “If you don’t, I’m going to call Gina.”

 

“Oh please, she’s still in bed. It’s better that she stays away from me, anyways.”

 

“Yongguk, stop contradicting me.” She narrowed her eyes.

 

He sighed, burying his face in his hands. “Fine, but on one condition. Drive me there. I’m too tired to even grab the wheel.”

 


 

As usual, Yongguk made a late entrance into the parking lot. The first bell rang just as Taehee stopped at the loading zone. However, his friends, including Jieun, happened to be passing by just as he got out.

 

Himchan ran up to Yongguk, slapping him on the back. “Hey! Where have you been? I’ve tried calling you, like, a million times, dude… Why, hello there.” Himchan peered at Taehee.

 

Taehee waved her hand at Himchan, her ring flashing in the sunlight. “Yongguk told me you like to hit on anything female.”

 

Himchan scratched his head in embarrassment. “I guess that’s true… Who are you, again?”

 

Taehee shut off the car, wiping her hands on her jeans so she could shake hands with all of them. Hyosung and Sunhwa seemed awestuck with her beauty. They babbled about how youthful Taehee looked.

 

When Taehee got to Jieun, the younger girl bowed. “I’m Jieun.”

 

“Hi, Jieun. I’m a good friend of Yongguk.” Taehee had to admit that Jieun was very pretty. She seemed so innocent and charming, and now Taehee could see why Yongguk liked her so much.

 

The second bell rang, meaning Taehee had to leave if she didn’t want to them to be tardy for first period. Before she left, Yongguk thanked her.

 

“Oh, and thanks for not mention that you’re… you know… my therapist. None of them know that I go to see you.”

 

“I figured. Just call me later to tell me how today goes.” She zoomed off, leaving Yongguk to sling his backpack over his shoulder.

 

“Yongguk!” He froze when he heard who it was.

 

He didn’t want to talk to her. Not right now, at least. It was too soon.

 

So he kept walking. Walking fast.

 

Jieun mustn’t have gotten the idea because she ran after him. Once she caught up, Yongguk acted quickly and ducked into the nearest classroom. Luckily, it was a class full of seniors. Girls and guys alike sat up straighter when he entered. Some even gasped. While he was “sick,” rumors about what happened at the Ball spread like wildfire. Most of them had to do with Jieun.

 

Jieun had recently become a hot commodity on campus since she was now hanging out with B.A.P, and she was constantly spotted by Yongguk’s side. Majority of the students assumed they were going out by now.

 

Yongguk caught Sunhwa’s eye in the front row, who gave him a “What the , Yongguk” look. The teacher raised his eyebrows. “It’s nice to see you back at school, Mr. Bang. What brings you to the first period Economics class?”

 

“Uh… I was looking for Han Sunhwa. She’s in this class, right? Ms. Kim said she needed to have a few words with her.” Yongguk covered up easily. He could’ve just said that he accidentally came to the wrong class, but Bang Yongguk didn’t make careless mistakes like that. The other students would know something was going on.

 

“Sure. Sunhwa, you may go.”

 

Sunhwa followed him into the hall. “Ms. Kim had never called me outside of my class. Are you pulling some dumb again?”

 

“Jieun was following me, so I had to lose her. I can’t talk to her.” Yongguk admitted, pulling Sunhwa aside.

 

“Is this because of Yoseob?” Sunhwa shook her head.

 

Yongguk stopped dead in his tracks. “Wait, what? How come everyone seems to know everything that’s going on in my life? First, Taehee, now you?”

 

“Jieun introduced us to Yoseob yesterday night. Honestly, I don’t like him. Something seems off with him.”

 

“I thought the same thing, too. So Jieun had a boyfriend all along, huh?” Yongguk was downcast.

 

“Apparently they’ve been broken up for about a year. I guess they’re back together now, though. It’s a shame, Yongguk. Although you two got off on a horrible start, I’d rather have her be with you… You can’t tell her I’m telling you this. She’d kill me.” Sunhwa gulped.

 

Since Sunhwa was being completely honest with him, he decided it was only fair if he was too. “Did everyone know I liked her?”

 

“Yongguk, every single student on campus already considers you taken by Jieun. It’s common knowledge that you have a huge thing for her.” Sunhwa rolled her eyes.

 

“Really? I thought I was smarter than everyone else.” He chuckled.

 

“Like I said, it’s a shame. But, don’t take this out on her. And don’t do something stupid, like vandalizing someone’s house again.”

 

“Alright, alright. I won’t. I just don’t know what to do, Sunhwa.”

 

“I wouldn’t advise you to be a homewrecker just yet. We should find out more about Yoseob first. I’ll help you all you want, too.”

 

“Well, thanks. I guess. It feels weird accepting help from Han Sunhwa.” Yongguk smiled.

 

“Everyone needs help sometimes. Even the big, bad Bang Yongguk needs a little guidance.” Sunhwa replied.

 

“Hm… Does that mean that you need help too?” Yongguk smirked.

 

“Huh?” Sunhwa was confused.

 

“With Kwanghee, duh.” He nudged her.

 

Sunhwa turned bright red. “Oh. I don’t need your help with him.”

 

“You’re getting nowhere with him. Why don’t you just let me hook your up with one of my friends?” Yongguk playfully asked her.

 

“I don’t know, Yongguk. Let me think about it?” Sunhwa and Yongguk caught sight of Himchan, who was loitering around campus. It was typical of him to skip class.

 

“Too late, here he comes. Himchan!” Yongguk waved him over.

 

Sunhwa facepalmed. “Himchan? Really?” She groaned.

 

“What’s up, Yongguk?”

 

“Would you mind taking Sunhwa out to dinner tomorrow night? Choose something fancy.”

“Wait, what? This has just turned weird.” Himchan wrinkled his nose. Sunhwa looked away, embarrassed.

 

Yongguk leant into Himchan, whispering something Sunhwa couldn’t here. “I’m guessing she hasn’t gotten it in a while.”

 

“I’m still confused, bro.” He whispered back.

 

“She’s ually deprived! Jeez, did I really have to spell it out for you?”

 

Slowly, a mischievous grin spread on Himchan’s face. “Sunhwa, may I treat you to some Italian food at 7 tomorrow?”

 

Sunhwa’s eyes widened in surprise. “I mean, if you insist…”

 

“Good, it’s a plan then. I’ll see you later, Yongguk. Sunhwa.” Himchan winked at Sunhwa.

 

Once he was out of earshot, Sunhwa aimed punches at Yongguk. “What have you done? Oh god, that was so embarrassing!”

 

Yongguk fended her off. “You can’t lie, you’re pretty flattered that I got Himchan to ask you out.”

 

Sunhwa only crossed her arms. “Shut up.”

 


 

Jieun was snuggled in the crook of Yoseob’s arm. She had invited him over when he asked her if he could see her new house.

 

She felt content next to him. Completely content.

 

So why did her thoughts keep drifting to Yongguk?

 

Jieun should be happy. Her boyfriend came back to Korea and searched for her just so they could be together again.

 

Instead, she was bothered about Yongguk’s attitude this morning and how he didn’t come to school for three days.

 

“Babe, I’m gonna go to the bathroom really quick. Don’t miss me while I’m gone.” He pecked her on the lips.

 

“You’re only going down the hall, Yoseob. Don’t be so dramatic.”

 

As soon as he was in the bathroom, his phone vibrated.

In that moment, Jieun should have been a good girlfriend and waited until Yoseob came back. The vibration was making her go crazy, however.

 

“Screw it,” she muttered, unlocking the phone and seeing that there was one new voicemail from an unknown number.

 

Jieun held the phone to her ear.

 

“Hey, Yoseob. It’s me, Gayoon. I know you’re back in Korea, which is awesome, since I’m going to be in Seoul next week with my friends as a graduation present. I was wondering if you wanted to meet up. I know this is awkward, but I kind of miss you. I don’t know about you, but I can’t forget that night… So, yeah. Call me back if you’re interested in catching up.”

 

Jieun’s mind swirled with what she just heard.

 

She then heard Yoseob coming towards her room. Jieun hastily locked his phone and put it back where it originally was.

 

When Yoseob grabbed her by the arms to kiss her, Jieun couldn’t find any strength or will to kiss him back.

 


 

A/N: So, things are gonna be speeding up now since I have to start moving the plot along and explain a bunch of stuff, like the backstory to Jieun/Yoseob, Yongguk and his deceased father, and other things.

 

But more importantly, I had an epiphany with my story the other day. All I ask of you is to take three seconds and answer this question! (My browser doesn't support polls...)

Himhwa (Himchan/Sunhwa) or Sunhee? (Kwanghee/Sunhwa)

Leave your answer in a comment below!

 

Don’t forget to subscribe/comment/upvote!